post #37981 of 38682 Old 08-23-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
I'll get back to you about the Velodyne model, mostly I get standing waves. It does sound amazing at times for sure. I'm not sure how the crossover works... is it as simple as flipping the switch on the back or do I have to wire the crossovers? I'm a bit new to this
There is an actual crossover in your speaker that designates what is sent to the "hyper-tweeter," the midrange horn and the LF drivers (which make your speaker a "3 way'). If you ran your speakers as "large" or "Full Range" depending what AVR you have, nothing would be sent to the subwoofer except the LFE (Low Frequency Response) which is a separate track on most movies....When you set a "Crossover" in the AVR's Bass Management (which all modern AVRs have) those notes under the Crossover point are sent to the sub more efficiently than from your speakers and usually gives your AVR more "headroom" to be able to hit those higher notes without causing as much stress on your AVR, whereas the Sub and it's amp can handle the lower end.

EDIT Clarification: When you set the crossover in the AVR to either 60 Hz or 80 Hz it sends those notes and below to the subwoofer and makes your Home Theater a "4 way system" with everything above there being sent to your speakers, which is 'crossed-over' to either the hyper horn, mid range horn and the lower end of that spectrum to the LF driver, with the lower notes mentioned above sent to the sub.}

Late EDIT: If I remember correctly, the components in the crossover in the speaker actual act as filters and prevent certain frequencies from being produced and don't necessarily send them anywhere.

Last edited by Zen Traveler; 08-24-2014 at 01:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37982 of 38682 Old 08-23-2014, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
There is an actual crossover in your speaker that designates what is sent to the "hyper-tweeter," the midrange horn and the LF drivers (which make your speaker a "3 way'). If you ran your speakers as "large" or "Full Range" depending what AVR you have, nothing would be sent to the subwoofer except the LFE (Low Frequency Response) which is a separate track on most movies....When you set a "Crossover" in the AVR's Bass Management (which all modern AVRs have) those notes under the Crossover point are sent to the sub more efficiently than from your speakers and usually gives your AVR more "headroom" to be able to hit those higher notes without causing as much stress on your AVR, whereas the Sub and it's amp can handle the lower end.

EDIT Clarification: When you set the crossover in the AVR to either 60 Hz or 80 Hz it sends those notes and below to the subwoofer and makes your Home Theater a "4 way system" with everything above there being sent to your speakers, which is 'crossed-over' to either the hyper horn, mid range horn and the lower end of that spectrum to the LF driver, with the lower notes mentioned above sent to the sub.}
Thanks for clearing that up... I will try that out tomorrow and get back to you... my AVR I think was purchased in 2003 or something like that, and it was super budget (haha).
post #37983 of 38682 Old 08-23-2014, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I set my front 3 to large and 40hz. I've tried small and various crossovers. Large and 40 just sounds more natural to me. My theory is that at a higher crossover less of the center channels woofer is used making the dialogue sound less natural. However set the xover lower and all the woofers to be used more and it sounds more natural.

None of this makes mathematical sense because supposedly natural speaking voice of males doesn't even go below 130hz. Whether it is just in my head I can't get past the fact that once I set them to small and 80 the dialogue is a bit too bright for my liking. And it feels more grounded at 40hz. I feel letting the klipsch go full range sounds more natural.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
post #37984 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
I set my front 3 to large and 40hz. I've tried small and various crossovers. Large and 40 just sounds more natural to me. My theory is that at a higher crossover less of the center channels woofer is used making the dialogue sound less natural. However set the xover lower and all the woofers to be used more and it sounds more natural.

None of this makes mathematical sense because supposedly natural speaking voice of males doesn't even go below 130hz. Whether it is just in my head I can't get past the fact that once I set them to small and 80 the dialogue is a bit too bright for my liking. And it feels more grounded at 40hz. I feel letting the klipsch go full range sounds more natural.
Fwiw, if you are running your speakers as Large then they don't have a crossover...I believe, if in Bass MGMT if you set it as LFE + Mains and set a crossover then your speakers are still getting the full signal and also sending notes below what you set also to the subwoofer(Iow, those notes are being reproduced twice, both from the speaker and the sub)--I think that's how it works in the new Denons--Regardless, if your run your front 3 speakers as Large, they are still reproducing the Full range sound.

Note: If you run your speakers as Small and set a crossover, the speaker plays what's above that, and below is sent to the sub...Btw, the crossover in the AVR isn't a "brick wall" but works as a slope.

Last edited by Zen Traveler; 08-24-2014 at 02:18 AM.
post #37985 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Surround speaker replacement or not

Hello - for my rear and side surrounds, I'm running a pair of rs-3's and not sure of the model of the other. The other pair are early 2001 or 2000 with metal grilles and not as high as the rs 3's. My front soundstage are epic cf 3's with a c7. Does it make any sense to upgrade the surrounds and if so, what would you recommend.

Originally I was thinking in-walls but I was thinking that would be a step backwards in sound quality. Thanks.
post #37986 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Klipsch owner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post

Setting your fronts to large will eliminate the effect of the AVR's crossover setting. The only way the AVR's crossover setting will have any effect (I.e., send anything below the set crossover to the subwoofer and leave anything above the crossover in the fronts) is by setting the speakers to 'small'.

[edit: I see that Zen already responded with a similar answer.]

Links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yamaha RX-A2010, Samsung UN55B8000, AppleTV, Roku3, Yamaha CDC-685, Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch: (2) RF-83's, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54's, (2) RSX-5's
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
See links above for additional system details.

Last edited by lflorack; 08-24-2014 at 08:07 AM.
post #37987 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Also large here... I set Sub woofer duty as low as possible, 50hz. but I am using high efficiency speakers that are probably good to around 35hz.

the overall effect of leaving my "full range" speakers at large and limiting subwoofer duty to 50hz and below is AMAZINGLY good and dimensional for 2 channel and to a certain extent for Movies.

I probably differ from many here because 2 channel is MUCH MORE important to me that HT is... even though HT is still important to me.

I have contemplated getting a dedicated HT set up which would consist of RF7ii's... and in that case, I would more than likely be using small and crossing at 60'ish hz like others have suggested.
Reference_head likes this.

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000

Last edited by MSchu18; 08-24-2014 at 09:49 AM.
post #37988 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod2750 View Post
Hello - for my rear and side surrounds, I'm running a pair of rs-3's and not sure of the model of the other. The other pair are early 2001 or 2000 with metal grilles and not as high as the rs 3's. My front soundstage are epic cf 3's with a c7. Does it make any sense to upgrade the surrounds and if so, what would you recommend.

Originally I was thinking in-walls but I was thinking that would be a step backwards in sound quality. Thanks.
That really is going to be a judgment call because the RS-3 are good surrounds...If you are talking about upgrading the other set I would only do it if they sound mismatched...I am guessing if those are a similar model and slightly smaller they are the SS-1 surrounds...
post #37989 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post
Also large here... I set Sub woofer duty as low as possible, 50hz. but I am using high efficiency speakers that are probably good to around 35hz.

the overall effect of leaving my "fill range" speakers at large and limiting subwoofer duty to 50hz and below is AMAZINGLY good and dimensional for 2 channel and to a certain extent for Movies.

I probably differ from many here because 2 channel is MUCH MORE important to me that HT is... even though HT is still important to me....
A few years back I heard a 5.2 system using all Cornwalls and dual SVS cylinder subs--If you think your RC-64 is a beast, you should've seen his Horizontal CW. He had it above his TV. Anyway, those do deliver clean bass and I bet the difference of running the Large or crossing them over at 40 Hz would be minimal especially since they actually are "8 Ohm" speakers and don't provide too much of a load on the power source.

For the record, RF-7s have been reported going down to 2.8 Ohms in some frequencies and I've seen the RF-7IIs only go down to 3.7 Ohms per a thread on this website, but I would really like to see a Frequency Response chart on the originals to confirm the difference...That said, I imagine all of the Reference line has a similar jagged Frequency response but more than likely not as low--Notice Klipsch marketing labels them as "8 Ohm compatible" but for some reason the original RF-7s are now labeled "8 Ohm" whereas they weren't when they were available from Klipsch (same designation as above).
post #37990 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
...I am guessing if those are a similar model and slightly smaller they are the SS-1 surrounds...
No idea what his other metal-grilled surround speakers might actually be... but just FYI, I have SS-1s that I'm no longer using, and they have cloth grills.
post #37991 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 26354 View Post
No idea what his other metal-grilled surround speakers might actually be... but just FYI, I have SS-1s that I'm no longer using, and they have cloth grills.
Cool--You most definitely may be correct that mine were as well, but I gave them to one of my employees along with a C-7 center and two Synergy KSB-3.1s and those 3 definitely had metal grills.
post #37992 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Cool--You most definitely may be correct that mine were as well, but I gave them to one of my employees along with a C-7 center and two Synergy KSB-3.1s and those 3 definitely had metal grills.
I pulled the other speakers off the wall and they are the Ksf k5 from 1999.
post #37993 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod2750 View Post
I pulled the other speakers off the wall and they are the Ksf k5 from 1999.
Here are the specs on the KSF K5: http://www.klipsch.com/ksf-s5-surround-speaker/details at 90 dB/1meter they aren't as efficient as I thought but if you have them level matched to the rest of your system they shouldn't present a problem but the newer models have a higher Sensitivity rating. {EDIT: here are the RS-3s:
http://www.klipsch.com/rs-3-surround-speaker/details and notice they are 95 dB/1meter}

I also wanted to clarify that the center channel I gave the dude is the KSF-C5 and now I don't remember if it had a metal grill or not . That said, I'm SURE the KSB 3.1's did--Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by Zen Traveler; 08-24-2014 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Wrote the word "should" but intended to write shouldn't present a problem and corrected it.
post #37994 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Here are the specs on the KSF K5: http://www.klipsch.com/ksf-s5-surround-speaker/details at 90 dB/1meter they aren't as efficient as I thought but if you have them level matched to the rest of your system they shouldn't present a problem but the newer models have a higher Sensitivity rating. {EDIT: here are the RS-3s:
http://www.klipsch.com/rs-3-surround-speaker/details and notice they are 95 dB/1meter}

I also wanted to clarify that the center channel I gave the dude is the KSF-C5 and now I don't remember if it had a metal grill or not . That said, I'm SURE the KSB 3.1's did--Sorry for the confusion.
Sounds like it might be time to upgrade. Any recommendations that would be similar performance wise with my front speakers - epic cf 3 and c7?
post #37995 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Jarrod, honestly there are several ways you could go and I still think the best-bang-for-your buck is going to be in the local used market where you could check them out...That said and insofar as surrounds go I would find something comparable or larger than the RS-3s. RS-7s would be nice, an upgrade but probably not easy to find and possibly the RS-62.

Another alternative and not knowing your room is to find a smaller pair of Floorstanding speakers--I use the RF-3s as side surrounds with RF-7s and prefer them to the RS series in a 7.1 configuration. Anyway, I am sure others will have some good ideas as well.
post #37996 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
All I said was pooper and it got deleted? I've said much worse in the past. Someones cracking the whip around here
You posted here?

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and RB-61 II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
post #37997 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post
You posted here?
Yea like a whole page got deleted a couple days ago lol.

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #37998 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
Yea like a whole page got deleted a couple days ago lol.

Was it an argument that got deleted?

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and RB-61 II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
post #37999 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post
Was it an argument that got deleted?
Not really just a first time poster came in here and trolled. He just tried to stir some things up. Nothing major.

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #38000 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Anybody is AZ looking for Klipschorns. Looks like a great deal. Wish I had room for them.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ele/4628819998.html

post #38001 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:

Late EDIT: If I remember correctly, the components in the crossover in the speaker actual act as filters and prevent certain frequencies from being produced and don't necessarily send them anywhere.
Ok so I have the Yamaha HTR 5830. I've been trying to figure out how to adjust the crossover settings but I can't figure out where to do that... I looked through the manual and no luck.
I do see that some people on AVS have posted about crossover, it seems like it's stuck at 90?
post #38002 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
You guys aren't as fun as some other forums....but all joking aside I am actually a klipsch owner and I've rebuilt/copied several heritage series models from the mid to late 70's including but not limited to the klipschorns. That being said, I do give a thumbs up recommendation for the new r-28f and the the r-12sw subwoofer. I actually got a chance to compare the r-28f/r-12sw combo side by side with a set of 76' la scalas and a pair of 90' klipschorns in a very small playhouse auditorium in highlands,nc. All pairs were bi amped with qsc amplifiers for the horns and crown amps for the woofers. I was actually surprised at how little the difference was, sound stage wise, between the new reference combo and the ol heritage sluggers. Even the chamber quarter that plays there every week could tell only subtle differences. I think that is a lot to be said about them, for what it's worth.
post #38003 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmcrisp27 View Post
You guys aren't as fun as some other forums....but all joking aside I am actually a klipsch owner and I've rebuilt/copied several heritage series models from the mid to late 70's including but not limited to the klipschorns. That being said, I do give a thumbs up recommendation for the new r-28f and the the r-12sw subwoofer. I actually got a chance to compare the r-28f/r-12sw combo side by side with a set of 76' la scalas and a pair of 90' klipschorns in a very small playhouse auditorium in highlands,nc. All pairs were bi amped with qsc amplifiers for the horns and crown amps for the woofers. I was actually surprised at how little the difference was, sound stage wise, between the new reference combo and the ol heritage sluggers. Even the chamber quarter that plays there every week could tell only subtle differences. I think that is a lot to be said about them, for what it's worth.
I actually hate that my post dealing with what was going to happen here got deleted. At least you bi-amped them to make it a fair comparison.
post #38004 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Wow man that is Impressive! Have you heard the reference 2 series? How do you think the r-28f compare's to those? Man when the pair of these go on sale this black friday for $449, it going be an amazing deal........

Last edited by The Murderousone; 08-24-2014 at 06:17 PM.
post #38005 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Murderousone View Post
Quote:
Wow man that is Impressive! Have you heard the reference 2 series? How do you think the r-28f compare's to those? Man when the pair of these go on sale this black friday for $449, it going be an amazing deal........
I have owned a few pairs of rf-7II's and there is virtually almost no difference between them and the r-28f with the r-12sw added. That's pretty awesome for half the price on average, pretty much giving up 4 10"s for 4 8"s and a 12" sub.
post #38006 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I have owned a few pairs of rf-7II's and there is virtually almost no difference between them and the r-28f with the r-12sw added. That's pretty awesome for half the price on average, pretty much giving up 4 10"s for 4 8"s and a 12" sub.
Wow that is high praise! Well folks there you have it............
post #38007 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Sorry I had no chance to listen RF-7II and R28-F but I can't believe those 2 are even close. I understand to be excited about new Klipsch line but RF-7II is a top of Empire state building if I delete Palladium series so it is so not possible to compare $449 speaker to $ 1600!!!

It is like compare Smart car with BMW 7 series!!!! You will get with both from point A to point B for sure but!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #38008 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Sorry I had no chance to listen RF-7II and R28-F but I can't believe those 2 are even close. I understand to be excited about new Klipsch line but RF-7II is a top of Empire state building if I delete Palladium series so it is so not possible to compare $449 speaker to $ 1600!!!

It is like compare Smart car with BMW 7 series!!!! You will get with both from point A to point B for sure but!!!!!!!!!!!!!'
Well he stated he did back to back comparisons with the K horns and La scalas and said it was almost no difference, those speakers cost more than the rf 7's and they are serious performers. He posted impressions to back up his thoughts, no disrespect man, but have you done a in depth evaluation of the new 28's? If not, how can you disagree?
post #38009 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Quote:

If you will go back and re-read, then you will find I never compared the two. I said that the r-28f COMBINED with the r-12sw subwoofer was almost equivalent to a set of rf-7II's. Of course the r-28fs don't compare to either the reference 2 series or heritage series by themselves.
post #38010 of 38682 Old 08-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Murderousone View Post
Well he stated he did back to back comparisons with the K horns and La scalas and said it was almost no difference, those speakers cost more than the rf 7's and they are serious performers. He posted impressions to back up his thoughts, no disrespect man, but have you done a in depth evaluation of the new 28's? If not, how can you disagree?
I did not and I will because it is not possible to mix it up apples and bananas. I just don't believe even if Klipsch will put up such a amazing entry level speakers they will completly baried all Reference II lines. If you will ask all people here if they can choice RF-7II and R-28F guess who will be a winner. I'm more then sure RF-7II just sounds better even without any detail testing!!! r28-F are best buy speakers so you talking avarage just right there!!!!
One simple think on the end why R-28-F $449 and RF-7II $1600?
Reference_head likes this.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3

Last edited by retro124; 08-25-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Audio , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page