post #38191 of 38207 Old Today, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatc View Post
I'm finally getting the upgrade itch. My question is how much better is the current reference line? My current setup is the old entry level stuff from Best Buy. The Icon series. (VF-36, VC-25, and the smaller VF-35 as my rears). I'm leaning towards a pair of RF-82ii or RF-62ii. I've read conflicting about whether the RF82s are worth the extra money. I will be using a sub. I'm using a Yamaha receiver. Is there a noticeable difference between 82s and 62s when using a sub?
Both will be very nice step up from what you have. I had Klipsch Synergy line before and love my new Reference II set up. Both are very similar 82II is little better speaker but if you using sub you will not feel that but it have that potencial. I also love look 8" woofers more so it is why I was looking only for 82II. Synergy tower was before F-3 ( also 8") so I swap it for RF-82II.
Check prices for both call Klipsch dealers (AVS, Sound distributors ( sometimes they have open boxes, for even lower price with full warranty). Good luck.
cbatc likes this.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38192 of 38207 Old Today, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
I'm finally getting the upgrade itch. My question is how much better is the current reference line? My current setup is the old entry level stuff from Best Buy. The Icon series. (VF-36, VC-25, and the smaller VF-35 as my rears). I'm leaning towards a pair of RF-82ii or RF-62ii. I've read conflicting about whether the RF82s are worth the extra money. I will be using a sub. I'm using a Yamaha receiver. Is there a noticeable difference between 82s and 62s when using a sub?
Assuming that the output to which you're referring is music... as always -- and as you can see from the replies you've already gotten -- the "correct" answer depends heavily on the type of music to which you listen.

If what you listen to is predominantly bass-centric... you'll more than likely be fine with some 62s and a sub.

If you listen to instrumental music where the primary emphasis is on its "mid-range" content -- cello, viola, oboe, bassoon, tenor sax, piano, guitar, vibraphone, acoustic bass -- like what is typically found in classical and jazz... the woofers in the 82s are going to provide a much broader and fuller and deeper level of accuracy and life-like realism to the tonality of those instruments, since their primary ranges (~80Hz-500Hz) are above that of a subwoofer's "normal" (~60Hz-80Hz) crossover.
post #38193 of 38207 Old Today, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Short answer, no. Many folks here went with the 62s for this reason. However, if money and space is no object, go for the 82s because there are some slight advantages. Nevermind if you have a sub or not, the low end extension on both speakers is fantastic.

What sub are you using?

What kind of Yamaha?
cbatc likes this.
post #38194 of 38207 Old Today, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 258
For the slight price difference between the RF-62II and the RF-82II, I'd go with the RF-82IIs. If nothing else, you'll never wonder what your system would've sounded like if you'd have sprung for the bigger speakers in the first place.
lflorack and cbatc like this.
post #38195 of 38207 Old Today, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 449
^^^ I agree; get the best you can afford.
post #38196 of 38207 Old Today, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
For the slight price difference between the RF-62II and the RF-82II, I'd go with the RF-82IIs. If nothing else, you'll never wonder what your system would've sounded like if you'd have sprung for the bigger speakers in the first place.
Amen to that!! I went 52II's, then 62II's, then ofc the 7II's. Could have saved myself alot of money and time reselling gear if I just would've went biggest right away. Problem was I already had the Synergys and they were getting old and I wanted to upgrade. I did tons of research and lots of watching youtube vids on the reference series. I did a blind buy without listening to the reference line. I was sure I would like them because I already preferred horn tweets over dome, cone, etc... so I went ahead with the 52II line up. It didn't take long and now my appetite for bigger sound was inevitable. The 62II package was next. I thought that would be my stopping point because the sound was so much bigger with the RF62II's and RC62II over the 52II's. Well I couldn't stop the madness and ended up with 7II's and 64II. I am no longer looking for a bigger front stage well at least right now. My focus will be on getting the Denon 4520 early next year and one more Ultra sub. I swear I'm done after that!!

Denon 3312
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #38197 of 38207 Old Today, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 122
CC you know you will always be hit with the upgrade bug. Personally I do sorta understand. I mean part of me thinks "what if I bought the 82 instead maybe I should have". But since I already bought the 62 I am not going to take the loss selling them and upgrading.

I do however have the upgrade bug for the subs. As soon as I bought the PC-12NSD the hope was they'd release the PC-2000 in time for the 1 year upgrade. When they announce pre-order I will be all over that. But that is ok with me because at least they pay you full price for your return and you just have to pay all the shipping. With my RF-62s I would have to lose about $100 each and then buy 82s and shipping. I am very happy where I am with my sound though. All that's important is you enjoy what you bought and you feel like you got good value for your money.

I can see you some day with a dedicated theater room with those huge behind the screen speakers that dude posted a page back. That's totally you.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
post #38198 of 38207 Old Today, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
...I couldn't stop the madness and ended up with 7II's and 64II. I am no longer looking for a bigger front stage well at least right now. My focus will be on getting the Denon 4520 early next year and one more Ultra sub. I swear I'm done after that!!
Fwiw, I realize that some like to change out speakers and components on a regular basis but I'm not one of them--As soon as I got my RF-7s/RC-7 up front and compared them to numerous setups from other brands and then to the new models coming out from Klipsch realized it doesn't really get much better in the footprint/space they take up or price range they are in--That's why I advise people to buy the best speakers they can within budget. {Note: that last caveat is important because going over budget can cause stress in other places and sometimes upgrade situations can come later with more funds or availability, along with possibly using a larger room.}

Also something to consider is that with the above in mind smaller towers and bookshelf speakers used now can become Surrounds and/or rears in the future when you upgrade your front soundstage...

Btw, that AVR-4520 looks nice and should be found at pretty good prices when those Atmos models get released--That said, those look interesting as well.
post #38199 of 38207 Old Today, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
Wow. I didn't even know what the RWS-12 was sorry. Dude you are rockin with 2 of those. I would like to replace my RW12d with that. As it does go a bit lower and I bet it provides quite the midbass punch.

I find this hobby similar to my old Saltwater tank hobby. You are always willing to spend more money for something to make things even prettier, even what you have looks pretty damn good already.
I have the RSW-12 which is a really nice sub and a RSW-15 which is a step above that and both are very musical and their bass is tight given their dual (one passive) radiator design and high current amp. We also have a small (slightly less than 2,000 cu ft) room and even after having each's volume right at about 1/4, Audyssey still sets them at -4.5 and -5.5 respectively.

Insofar as your aquarium analogy--That hits home because my wife is a Freshwater Aquatic Gardener hobbyist (President of an international association and editor of their magazine) and she informs me not as expensive as Saltwater Aquariums so I should feel lucky and lets me know my hobby uses more....umm--Resources.
I of course remind her that she also watches movies and that it's a win/win situation in our household. Also, I don't watch sports on tv so that's an added bonus for her.
Louis Bartay likes this.
post #38200 of 38207 Old Today, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
CC you know you will always be hit with the upgrade bug. Personally I do sorta understand. I mean part of me thinks "what if I bought the 82 instead maybe I should have". But since I already bought the 62 I am not going to take the loss selling them and upgrading.

I do however have the upgrade bug for the subs. As soon as I bought the PC-12NSD the hope was they'd release the PC-2000 in time for the 1 year upgrade. When they announce pre-order I will be all over that. But that is ok with me because at least they pay you full price for your return and you just have to pay all the shipping. With my RF-62s I would have to lose about $100 each and then buy 82s and shipping. I am very happy where I am with my sound though. All that's important is you enjoy what you bought and you feel like you got good value for your money.

I can see you some day with a dedicated theater room with those huge behind the screen speakers that dude posted a page back. That's totally you.
Off-topic, but why would you bother switching a PC12-NSD for a PC-2000? If the differences between the SB12-NSD & SB-2000 and PB12-NSD & PB-2000 are any indication it doesn't seem worth the hassle. I hate to break it you you but the difference between an RF-62II and an RF-82II would be far more significant. If you're going to upgrade subs go for at least a PC12-Plus.

Next time I upgrade subs it'll be to something like dual PC13-Ultras, dual PSA XV30Fse's, or a Seaton F2+ and F2-Slave. As cchunter intimated a few posts back, incremental upgrades will put you in the poor house sooner or later because you quickly discover that that first incremental upgrade didn't deliver the performance gain you hoped it would, so you do another incremental upgrade, and it's only a little better, so you do another...and by the time you get to where you're satisfied, you realize you'd have been far better off saving up a little longer and going for big upgrade right off the bat.

But hey, it's your money...
cchunter likes this.
post #38201 of 38207 Old Today, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
Short answer, no. Many folks here went with the 62s for this reason. However, if money and space is no object, go for the 82s because there are some slight advantages. Nevermind if you have a sub or not, the low end extension on both speakers is fantastic.

What sub are you using?

What kind of Yamaha?
I'm using a Klipsch Sub-12 and a Yamaha RXA-1010

I appreciate everyone's opinions and replies. Still on the fence about which way I'll go, but it's definitely gonna be Klipsch.
post #38202 of 38207 Old Today, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...and by the time you get to where you're satisfied, you realize you'd have been far better off saving up a little longer and going for big upgrade right off the bat.

I quoted another poster in response but the point above I was trying to convey here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
...That's why I advise people to buy the best speakers they can within budget. {Note: that last caveat is important because going over budget can cause stress in other places and sometimes upgrade situations can come later with more funds or availability, along with possibly using a larger room.}

Also something to consider is that with the above in mind smaller towers and bookshelf speakers used now can become Surrounds and/or rears in the future when you upgrade your front soundstage...
For the record, my guess is that most of us here appreciate the Source Material we are listening to and once it sounds like we want it--It's hard to improve and then funds are available to purchase more Source Material to enjoy or use in another hobby or adventure. That's my take.

{EDIT: Then again we have WAY too many discs and now my DVD collection is referred to as "Room Treatment" along with a great many books on shelves we have. }

Last edited by Zen Traveler; Today at 03:18 PM.
post #38203 of 38207 Old Today, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
I'm using a Klipsch Sub-12 and a Yamaha RXA-1010

I appreciate everyone's opinions and replies. Still on the fence about which way I'll go, but it's definitely gonna be Klipsch.
I use two of the same Klipsch Sub 12" in my very small den that have good LFE for HT but I use 15" woofers in my Cornwall (fronts).

These entry level subs I purchased used are 10 years old now but I too keep the gain at 1/4 on the back of the BASH amp (300/650)

I purchased a NOS 3 years ago on Amazon Black friday for $239.00 shipped (we are a Prime member) I use it in the bedroom with my HII. I noticed they have gone UP in price as they were about $249.00 (retail was $499.00 in 2005)plus shipping just after they were discontinued in 2011 or so..why I got mine so cheep. On the Klipsch factory site there is a member that repairs the power supply for these and the smaller Sub 10 that had a bad reputation for amp failures (most were power supply parts) that were usually the owner turning up the gain too high trying to make a 10" drive like a 12"..same with the Sub 12 being pushed too hard like a bigger sub. Some day I want a nicer sub but until then I am happy with what I have collected.

I just don't ask them to do more then they can handle. After a visit to my friends SVS PB Ultra 13 is AWESOME wish I had one. Retired now...... it would take a year to save that much cash now. ..........http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VIWK0G/...l_6tadleut5_b#
cbatc likes this.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II
Klipsch Heresy II, KSB 1.1
Klipsch Sub 12" X3 Hafler P3000,P1000, DH330
Yamaha RX-V1900, T-1000,A-1000 Class A, GE-20 GEQ CDC-697
ReVox A-77 Mk IV Dolby, Nakamichi BX-100
post #38204 of 38207 Old Today, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Off-topic, but why would you bother switching a PC12-NSD for a PC-2000? If the differences between the SB12-NSD & SB-2000 and PB12-NSD & PB-2000 are any indication it doesn't seem worth the hassle. I hate to break it you you but the difference between an RF-62II and an RF-82II would be far more significant. If you're going to upgrade subs go for at least a PC12-Plus.

Next time I upgrade subs it'll be to something like dual PC13-Ultras, dual PSA XV30Fse's, or a Seaton F2+ and F2-Slave. As cchunter intimated a few posts back, incremental upgrades will put you in the poor house sooner or later because you quickly discover that that first incremental upgrade didn't deliver the performance gain you hoped it would, so you do another incremental upgrade, and it's only a little better, so you do another...and by the time you get to where you're satisfied, you realize you'd have been far better off saving up a little longer and going for big upgrade right off the bat.

Incremental gains is all I want. For maybe a $200 investment that is what I expect. PC12-plus would be too much for my room. My upgrade line ends there, it never gets into the Plus or Ultra catagory. Ever. Problem was a month after I bought the NDS the 2000s came out. I can still upgrade and I don't want any regrets.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
post #38205 of 38207 Old Today, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Couldn't disagree more here. I recommend to anyone that asks between the 62 and 82 that there is almost zero difference unless ran full range. I've owned both at the same time and side by sided them a ton! If you wanna upgrade gotta go bigger like the rf-7ii or rf-63 like I have. They destroy the 82's in every single aspect. By the retail on them was double so they should. The retail of the 82's is a 33% markup on the 62's. Retail anyways. And you will not get a 33% better speaker. Just doesn't happen. My ou can take that additional money saved and put it towards other places that really Matter
post #38206 of 38207 Old Today, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappydue View Post
Couldn't disagree more here. I recommend to anyone that asks between the 62 and 82 that there is almost zero difference unless ran full range. I've owned both at the same time and side by sided them a ton! If you wanna upgrade gotta go bigger like the rf-7ii or rf-63 ...
Yup...That said, the RF-63 is a warmer speaker than the RF-7 (and I gather the RF-7II) and that is why if you had either in your front soundstage you would want to get the appropriate center because there is a difference between the RC-64 and the RC-64II..That said, I would be interested to hear the tonal difference between the RC-7 and the RC-64II and wondered how having RF-7IIs and RF-7s in an all tower system would timbre match.
post #38207 of 38207 Old Today, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
Fwiw, I realize that some like to change out speakers and components on a regular basis but I'm not one of them--As soon as I got my RF-7s/RC-7 up front and compared them to numerous setups from other brands and then to the new models coming out from Klipsch realized it doesn't really get much better in the footprint/space they take up or price range they are in--That's why I advise people to buy the best speakers they can within budget. {Note: that last caveat is important because going over budget can cause stress in other places and sometimes upgrade situations can come later with more funds or availability, along with possibly using a larger room.}

Btw, that AVR-4520 looks nice and should be found at pretty good prices when those Atmos models get released--That said, those look interesting as well.
Yea I really don't want to go bigger as far as speakers go even if I do get into a house with a finished room for movies/music. I like the 7II's that much! I could see possibly getting rid of the 64 and going another 7II for my center channel and maybe some RB81II's as heights. The 4520 is down to 1499.00 right now from authorized dealer. I'm hoping it will be down another 200.00 or more come early next year. As far as Atmos goes well until I experience it first hand I'm not buying into having 15 speakers. I think its all bull$#!t. Sorry but that's just my opinion. I have a very immersive experience now just running 5.1

Denon 3312
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Audio , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page