post #38191 of 38197 Old Today, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatc View Post
I'm finally getting the upgrade itch. My question is how much better is the current reference line? My current setup is the old entry level stuff from Best Buy. The Icon series. (VF-36, VC-25, and the smaller VF-35 as my rears). I'm leaning towards a pair of RF-82ii or RF-62ii. I've read conflicting about whether the RF82s are worth the extra money. I will be using a sub. I'm using a Yamaha receiver. Is there a noticeable difference between 82s and 62s when using a sub?
Both will be very nice step up from what you have. I had Klipsch Synergy line before and love my new Reference II set up. Both are very similar 82II is little better speaker but if you using sub you will not feel that but it have that potencial. I also love look 8" woofers more so it is why I was looking only for 82II. Synergy tower was before F-3 ( also 8") so I swap it for RF-82II.
Check prices for both call Klipsch dealers (AVS, Sound distributors ( sometimes they have open boxes, for even lower price with full warranty). Good luck.
cbatc likes this.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38192 of 38197 Old Today, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
I'm finally getting the upgrade itch. My question is how much better is the current reference line? My current setup is the old entry level stuff from Best Buy. The Icon series. (VF-36, VC-25, and the smaller VF-35 as my rears). I'm leaning towards a pair of RF-82ii or RF-62ii. I've read conflicting about whether the RF82s are worth the extra money. I will be using a sub. I'm using a Yamaha receiver. Is there a noticeable difference between 82s and 62s when using a sub?
Assuming that the output to which you're referring is music... as always -- and as you can see from the replies you've already gotten -- the "correct" answer depends heavily on the type of music to which you listen.

If what you listen to is predominantly bass-centric... you'll more than likely be fine with some 62s and a sub.

If you listen to instrumental music where the primary emphasis is on its "mid-range" content -- cello, viola, oboe, bassoon, tenor sax, piano, guitar, vibraphone, acoustic bass -- like what is typically found in classical and jazz... the woofers in the 82s are going to provide a much broader and fuller and deeper level of accuracy and life-like realism to the tonality of those instruments, since their primary ranges (~80Hz-500Hz) are above that of a subwoofer's "normal" (~60Hz-80Hz) crossover.
Schwa, lflorack and Louis Bartay like this.
post #38193 of 38197 Old Today, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Short answer, no. Many folks here went with the 62s for this reason. However, if money and space is no object, go for the 82s because there are some slight advantages. Nevermind if you have a sub or not, the low end extension on both speakers is fantastic.

What sub are you using?

What kind of Yamaha?
post #38194 of 38197 Old Today, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 255
For the slight price difference between the RF-62II and the RF-82II, I'd go with the RF-82IIs. If nothing else, you'll never wonder what your system would've sounded like if you'd have sprung for the bigger speakers in the first place.
lflorack likes this.
post #38195 of 38197 Old Today, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 449
^^^ I agree; get the best you can afford.
post #38196 of 38197 Old Today, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
For the slight price difference between the RF-62II and the RF-82II, I'd go with the RF-82IIs. If nothing else, you'll never wonder what your system would've sounded like if you'd have sprung for the bigger speakers in the first place.
Amen to that!! I went 52II's, then 62II's, then ofc the 7II's. Could have saved myself alot of money and time reselling gear if I just would've went biggest right away. Problem was I already had the Synergys and they were getting old and I wanted to upgrade. I did tons of research and lots of watching youtube vids on the reference series. I did a blind buy without listening to the reference line. I was sure I would like them because I already preferred horn tweets over dome, cone, etc... so I went ahead with the 52II line up. It didn't take long and now my appetite for bigger sound was inevitable. The 62II package was next. I thought that would be my stopping point because the sound was so much bigger with the RF62II's and RC62II over the 52II's. Well I couldn't stop the madness and ended up with 7II's and 64II. I am no longer looking for a bigger front stage well at least right now. My focus will be on getting the Denon 4520 early next year and one more Ultra sub. I swear I'm done after that!!

Denon 3312
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #38197 of 38197 Old Today, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 122
CC you know you will always be hit with the upgrade bug. Personally I do sorta understand. I mean part of me thinks "what if I bought the 82 instead maybe I should have". But since I already bought the 62 I am not going to take the loss selling them and upgrading.

I do however have the upgrade bug for the subs. As soon as I bought the PC-12NSD the hope was they'd release the PC-2000 in time for the 1 year upgrade. When they announce pre-order I will be all over that. But that is ok with me because at least they pay you full price for your return and you just have to pay all the shipping. With my RF-62s I would have to lose about $100 each and then buy 82s and shipping. I am very happy where I am with my sound though. All that's important is you enjoy what you bought and you feel like you got good value for your money.

I can see you some day with a dedicated theater room with those huge behind the screen speakers that dude posted a page back. That's totally you.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Audio , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page