Klipsch owner thread - Page 1294 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #38791 of 38801 Old Today, 05:37 AM
Newbie
 
djwonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bose, you know, the things I put in my little girl's hair... I'm not going to bash them, but, my first surround system was an Accoustimas 10 about 14 years ago. It was for a very small space in the basement. If you want very clear, low spl sound, then they're good. If you want a true theater experience at home, look else where.
djwonder is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #38792 of 38801 Old Today, 06:20 AM
Senior Member
 
ClawAndTalon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy1970 View Post
Glad to see HSU mentioned. I love my two HSU VTF-3 MK4's. The craftsmanship of HSU subs are second to none in their price range. Seems like SVS is the only subs I ever see get recommended on this site anymore. I guess I should be more active myself promoting HSU, but understand that SVS has a strong hold on being more popular here. I'm sure it's a fine Sub as well.
I'm more of a sealed sub guy, but I feel that you need to spend at least $800 on one to get one that sounds good. I don't consider an HSU with both ports sealed to be a proper sealed design. It's a nice try, but even Dr. Hsu says his subs don't sound their best that way.


In that case, the VTF 2 and 3 are good deals, they have a ton of output, and I like the two large ports (which I'd keep both open).


SVS enjoys more than half of the ID market. Don't be surprised if they start showing up in big box stores, and or local retailers soon. I always thought that the ID model took away the retail mark-up. In any case, I've had conversations with Tom Vodhanel, founder of PSA (he helped found SVS- his last name is the V in SVS), and some of the things SVS started a few years back changed their product quality, and not for the best. Do they make some quality subs, absolutely, but I also feel they are getting a touch overpriced compared to newcomers in the ID sub market like PSA, and Reaciton Audio.
ClawAndTalon is offline  
post #38793 of 38801 Old Today, 07:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Soupy1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St Louis Metro (IL.)
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
I'm more of a sealed sub guy, but I feel that you need to spend at least $800 on one to get one that sounds good. I don't consider an HSU with both ports sealed to be a proper sealed design. It's a nice try, but even Dr. Hsu says his subs don't sound their best that way.


In that case, the VTF 2 and 3 are good deals, they have a ton of output, and I like the two large ports (which I'd keep both open).


SVS enjoys more than half of the ID market. Don't be surprised if they start showing up in big box stores, and or local retailers soon. I always thought that the ID model took away the retail mark-up. In any case, I've had conversations with Tom Vodhanel, founder of PSA (he helped found SVS- his last name is the V in SVS), and some of the things SVS started a few years back changed their product quality, and not for the best. Do they make some quality subs, absolutely, but I also feel they are getting a touch overpriced compared to newcomers in the ID sub market like PSA, and Reaciton Audio.
I run my Dual VTF-3's nearfield (end tables) with one port open. To tell the truth I can't really tell any difference changing the ports config, but that's probably the nearfield location. Two of these will really move your seat. The finish on the box is absolutely beautiful.

Denon X4000
Klipsch KLF-10 Fronts
Klipsch KLF-C7 Center
Klipsch KLF-C7 X 2 Surrounds
Dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subs
BenQ W1070 projector
106" Antra fixed Screen
3D powered by AMD home built computer
True Depth 3D glasses (pair)
SainSonic 3D glasses (pair)
Soupy1970 is online now  
post #38794 of 38801 Old Today, 08:15 AM
Senior Member
 
ClawAndTalon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy1970 View Post
I run my Dual VTF-3's nearfield (end tables) with one port open. To tell the truth I can't really tell any difference changing the ports config, but that's probably the nearfield location. Two of these will really move your seat. The finish on the box is absolutely beautiful.
Nearfield is always a win, win. The one qualm I have with HSU are all the dials and gizmos on the subs generally change very little. You're not the first person to say this.
ClawAndTalon is offline  
post #38795 of 38801 Old Today, 08:16 AM
Senior Member
 
ClawAndTalon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwonder View Post
Bose, you know, the things I put in my little girl's hair... I'm not going to bash them, but, my first surround system was an Accoustimas 10 about 14 years ago. It was for a very small space in the basement. If you want very clear, low spl sound, then they're good. If you want a true theater experience at home, look else where.


No highs, no lows. Must be Bose.
ellisr63 and malmstump like this.
ClawAndTalon is offline  
post #38796 of 38801 Old Today, 08:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Soupy1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St Louis Metro (IL.)
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
Nearfield is always a win, win. The one qualm I have with HSU are all the dials and gizmos on the subs generally change very little. You're not the first person to say this.
I guess the tuning controls are better than none. I mean, I guess they can't hurt. Lets compare the $800 models real quick. The SVS PB-2000 to the HSU VTF-3. I think the HSU goes down to 16Hz compared the SVS 17HZ (not a big difference). The HSU does allow for the different port configs, and Q control. In my opinion the HSU looks like a much better build. SVS does have a similar finish with their $1400 + models but it still IMHO doesn't look as nice.

HSU VTF-3 MK4 link http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk4.html

SVS PB-2000 link http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb-2000

Denon X4000
Klipsch KLF-10 Fronts
Klipsch KLF-C7 Center
Klipsch KLF-C7 X 2 Surrounds
Dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subs
BenQ W1070 projector
106" Antra fixed Screen
3D powered by AMD home built computer
True Depth 3D glasses (pair)
SainSonic 3D glasses (pair)
Soupy1970 is online now  
post #38797 of 38801 Old Today, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
psgcdn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Prov. of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 199
And here I thought I had clicked on the Klipsch thread...

Remember, it's called "AV Science"!

My HT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peter

psgcdn is online now  
post #38798 of 38801 Old Today, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post
And here I thought I had clicked on the Klipsch thread...
Well, the conversation did start talking about Klipsch subs.
Mongo171 is online now  
post #38799 of 38801 Old Today, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
psgcdn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Prov. of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Don't worry about it, doesn't matter... but I did make sure I had clicked on the correct thread!

Remember, it's called "AV Science"!

My HT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peter

psgcdn is online now  
post #38800 of 38801 Old Today, 03:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy1970 View Post
Glad to see HSU mentioned. I love my two HSU VTF-3 MK4's. The craftsmanship of HSU subs are second to none in their price range. Seems like SVS is the only subs I ever see get recommended on this site anymore. I guess I should be more active myself promoting HSU, but understand that SVS has a strong hold on being more popular here. I'm sure it's a fine Sub as well.
I have also noticed the same. I have heard SVS subs and like them a lot, but I have also heard the JL Audio subs! For the money SVS are the better deal, but if you have the funds to dish out the JL Audio subs are better IMO.
TheDrkLord is online now  
post #38801 of 38801 Old Today, 03:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Soupy1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St Louis Metro (IL.)
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post
And here I thought I had clicked on the Klipsch thread...
Yea, but Klipsch subs are over priced for what you get. It isn't uncommon for Klipsch speaker fans to suggest ID subs over Klipsch. Klipsch as a company is in no way affiliated with this thread.

Denon X4000
Klipsch KLF-10 Fronts
Klipsch KLF-C7 Center
Klipsch KLF-C7 X 2 Surrounds
Dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subs
BenQ W1070 projector
106" Antra fixed Screen
3D powered by AMD home built computer
True Depth 3D glasses (pair)
SainSonic 3D glasses (pair)
Soupy1970 is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Audio , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off