Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 37391 Old 01-07-2007, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denys View Post

Thanks All , this is an excellent forum. I just bought some new F-3's and B-3's to start a Home Theater set.The price was right. I'm using a vintage SCOTT 355R stereo receiver that was given to me by a co-worker.
1. Priority is to get me a descent A/V receiver.I'm currently looking at Yamaha's RX-V1700 , Onkyo's TX SR804 ,Harman/kardon's AVR 645, Pioneer's VSX-82TXS or Denon AVR-3806. These models kinds of fits my budget(1K$ Canadian). Any comments on which would be a better quality/performance ratio would be appreciated.(Or any not mentioned models)I'm planning to use the system about 80-20/movies-music. I live in a small town so comparing systems is not an option.Video from a Panny Plasma 42" HDTV so HDMI comptatibility is a must.
2. Will the B-3's and F-3's be compatible if used with a C-3 center(did not get the S-3's).Room size is 15x20.BTW can't seem to find a place to buy a C-3 online so what other options do you recommend for a centre.

Take a look at the top Yamaha Receiver at bestbuy.ca (the 6090) I think it's practically the same as the 1700 except for < 10w and a different front panel. And its much much cheaper....It can even be had for $10 less if you Price match with FS....there is a thread in the reciever section about these two receivers. They both do 1080p switching if I remember correctly. You can also DL the manual from the Canadian Yamaha site without registering.

Depending where you are in Canada you may want to check out London Drugs if your on the west coast. They have a rf-52 centre on sale and a few other options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 37391 Old 01-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denys View Post

Thanks All , this is an excellent forum. I just bought some new F-3's and B-3's to start a Home Theater set.The price was right. I'm using a vintage SCOTT 355R stereo receiver that was given to me by a co-worker.
1. Priority is to get me a descent A/V receiver.I'm currently looking at Yamaha's RX-V1700 , Onkyo's TX SR804 ,Harman/kardon's AVR 645, Pioneer's VSX-82TXS or Denon AVR-3806. These models kinds of fits my budget(1K$ Canadian). Any comments on which would be a better quality/performance ratio would be appreciated.(Or any not mentioned models)I'm planning to use the system about 80-20/movies-music. I live in a small town so comparing systems is not an option.Video from a Panny Plasma 42" HDTV so HDMI comptatibility is a must.
2. Will the B-3's and F-3's be compatible if used with a C-3 center(did not get the S-3's).Room size is 15x20.BTW can't seem to find a place to buy a C-3 online so what other options do you recommend for a centre.

Should be. The C-3 is also from the Synergy line, so the drivers should match. Whether or not you should have a center, is a matter of personal preference. Some users like to have the central channel. Others that focus more on music, simply set up their receivers to have the mains image the center channel.

Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz !
post #363 of 37391 Old 01-14-2007, 11:39 AM

Management,

I have the rs-42's and they are rated from klipsch's info in the box at 75wpc. jr is wrong.
post #364 of 37391 Old 01-14-2007, 10:29 PM

I have used my set of Klipcsh speakers KSB-2.1 , KSB-S1, KSF-C5 for my home theater since 1998 when I bought them in Okinawa while serving in the Marine Corps and honestly while I have thought about buying Axiom floor speakers until that day comes I plan on sticking with my current setup because most floor speakers ive demoed either dont sound as powerfull or sound only slightly better ( this includes Sony, JBL just to name a few ). My question is this, with my capabilities to play SACD and DVD-A are my current speakers good enough to output the high resolution sound of these formats. When I bought my Onkyo reciever TX-SR601 five years ago I bought it specifically for that option yet it was just recently I bought my Denon 757 to start listening in these formats. I am also considering 6.1 sound so should i buy another center channel and use it as my surround rear? I would appreciate some straight forward advice before I go up into my attic and start running wire.
post #365 of 37391 Old 01-15-2007, 04:22 AM

My apologizes if this has been asked and answered already, but can you mix the old with the new in terms of surrounds? I tried asking this over on Klipsch forum, but nobody was kind enough to reply.

Here's the deal, there some places locally as well as online, that still has some RF7's, RC7's, and RS7's. My problem is due to the way I designed my theater room, the RS7's are simply not going to work. They're just too darn wide. Well I can purchase a pair for my side surrounds, but there's no way I can make them work for my rear surrounds. I'm just curious if I can use the RS62's or even the RB81's for my surrounds, or if I'd just be better off forgetting about the 7's all together and focus on their new models?

Sutter
post #366 of 37391 Old 01-15-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Cane View Post

My apologizes if this has been asked and answered already, but can you mix the old with the new in terms of surrounds? I tried asking this over on Klipsch forum, but nobody was kind enough to reply.

Here's the deal, there some places locally as well as online, that still has some RF7's, RC7's, and RS7's. My problem is due to the way I designed my theater room, the RS7's are simply not going to work. They're just too darn wide. Well I can purchase a pair for my side surrounds, but there's no way I can make them work for my rear surrounds. I'm just curious if I can use the RS62's or even the RB81's for my surrounds, or if I'd just be better off forgetting about the 7's all together and focus on their new models?

Most will tell you that you do not want to use RS7's as your rears in a 7.1 setup. I am one of them and will tell you that you want direct radiating speakers like the RB3s, 5s, 75s, 51, 61, 81 etc.

The RS's are great for the sides, but do not use them as rears.
post #367 of 37391 Old 01-15-2007, 07:37 AM

Liked: 12
S. Cane, you could also look at some RB-75's. These are very nice speakers and work great as the rear surrounds. This is what I use in my theater! Very happy with them! Chad
post #368 of 37391 Old 01-15-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post

Most will tell you that you do not want to use RS7's as your rears in a 7.1 setup. I am one of them and will tell you that you want direct radiating speakers like the RB3s, 5s, 75s, 51, 61, 81 etc.

Klipsch,

Well, that's what I planned on doing, going with a direct radiating speaker for my rear surrounds.

Chad,

As for the RB75's, no such luck with those. I can't find those anywhere, not even ebay at the moment.

Sutter
post #369 of 37391 Old 01-17-2007, 04:52 AM
bis

I posted this on the klipsch forum but haven't gotton much help so I'll try here.I'm planning on buying an new ht system, my rec.is an older denon 1807 I believe,it's in storage so I can't check.My room will be a living room 16x17.8 vaulted ceilings and open to other rooms.I am bugeting around 3k for speakers.I will upgrade the reciever in the future but not sure what yet.So will the 81's or the 62's be better the 81's are not that much cheaper then figure in stands and they are about the same as rf 62's but they might meet the waf better I don't know that yet.I am also trying to decide between 2 smaller subs or I larger one I figure for what I can get the speakers for that I will have around 1k for subs.Does anyone have suggestions.
post #370 of 37391 Old 01-17-2007, 06:44 AM

With the subs, the 81's will work fine and if the waf of the 81's is higher than 62's, it's a win-win situation.
post #371 of 37391 Old 01-17-2007, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bis View Post

My room will be a living room 16x17.8 vaulted ceilings and open to other rooms.I am bugeting around 3k for speakers.

An option you might not have considered is the used market. For 3K, you could get a pair of used Klipschorns and 2 pairs of Heresy II for a 6.1 system (assuming you have the sub budget is separate).

The Klipschorns would sound great in the corners of the 17.8 foot wall, but I don't know if that's a possible orientation for you.

Maybe someone in your area has Klipschorns that you could listen to...

post #372 of 37391 Old 01-17-2007, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Bis: What about the RF-82 they are little taller not much wider and they would have better base. I think they retail is only 2 hundard more. Over all I think they sound better than the 62's. I have a Velodyne DLS-5000 nice sub for the money comes with little remote. You can find them well under a grand.
post #373 of 37391 Old 01-17-2007, 09:08 PM

My klipsch collection RF5 RC3II and 2 pair of RS52 (Christmas gift from wife totally shocked me)
Hopefully I can finish room this year, I'm so ready to hear 7.1 or true HD sound

im so far ahead...I feel outdated
post #374 of 37391 Old 01-18-2007, 10:47 AM

Does anyone Biwire the RF-82's? If so do you use heavier gauge for the bass freq's and a lighter gauge for the tweeter?
post #375 of 37391 Old 01-18-2007, 11:41 AM

Any thoughts on using the RF-5's as suroound speakers?

I'm going to buy a pair of RF-83s soon and also an RC-64.

Currently I have a pair of RF-5s and a RSW-12 connected to a Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi.

I plan on doing a 5.1 setup with the speakers mentioned above, and bi-amping channel 6 and 7 to the fronts to have enough power for the RF-83s (280 wpc bi-amp).

Do you think the RF-83 and RC-64 will match well with my RF-5's / RSW-12?

Thanks.
post #376 of 37391 Old 01-18-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensmarcum View Post

Does anyone Biwire the RF-82's? If so do you use heavier gauge for the bass freq's and a lighter gauge for the tweeter?

I don't have experience with the RF-82's, however; the wire guage you use is dependant on power and distance. Most run less power to their tweeters so they run a lower guage wire. Bi-wiring really has nothing to do with it. It's purely what you are sending and from where.

Most also run a lot heavier guage then they need.

I am running 16AWG for my Quartets/Academy getting about 100WRMS with about 6' between them and the source. I am running 16AWG for my rear surrounds (Insignia favorites from BestBuy) and I used most of a 100' spool of wire for them.

In my car (1998 240sx SE, small sports coupe) I am running 14AWG to the door woofers and 16AWG to the tweeters and 10AWG to the rear quarter panels.

The mains see 100x2 and the subs in the rear quarters see 200x2.

In all the above cases, the wire size is excessive. However; for the difference in price and not having to run wire again...I could go to ungodly power levels, with just a slight increase in upfront costs and a huge savings in future labor. When I do wiring, it's not the typical just stuff it in the crevice. I take things apart and route it so the wiring is both invisible (where possible) and safe from screws and pinches. A screw in a speaker wire is usually a non-event to your environment (your eq may suffer), a screw driven into the wire of even modest AWG you just direct connected to your battery without any fuse could #1 weld your tool to the screw on the spot, then #2 burn your car down to the ground in a full short. In homes usually things are safer and with less chance of unseen accidents. In my younger days I knew people running unshielded wire under their cars to their trunks because they didn't want to drill through the firewall.

In my car I ran 1/0 guage to the trunk. 4-8AWG would have been plenty for my system...even 10AWG. However, now if I wanted to move my battery back there I am all set. If one day the need for a car that shakes neighborhoods comes up...I can do it with component changes only. I scored a closeout on a Streetwires 1/0 PS00R amp kit.

I like it loud though...not loud enough to make my listening painful though.

If you post up your power levels and distance from source to the speaker, we can tell you what you need.
post #377 of 37391 Old 01-18-2007, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

pjoza: I have the fr-82 for rears, they seem to work well with the RF-83 and RC-64. I think the FR-5's should work. I do not have Klipsch sub so I can not comment on that.
post #378 of 37391 Old 01-18-2007, 04:45 PM
bis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro1max1 View Post

Bis: What about the RF-82 they are little taller not much wider and they would have better base. I think they retail is only 2 hundard more. Over all I think they sound better than the 62's. I have a Velodyne DLS-5000 nice sub for the money comes with little remote. You can find them well under a grand.

I got to look and listen to some 62s today. Not very pretty,not that I care but the waf is important.They didn't have 81s but they 52s and the rvx 54s, the 54s sounded better to me than the 52s but not better than the 62s however they did sound great with a sub and have a pretty good waf so I don't know what it's going to be yet.

PS:My wife hates that I ponder thing so much.
post #379 of 37391 Old 01-18-2007, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok, so my fiancee approved of my speaker upgrade.

I have a simple question for you guys:

My current Klipsch setup is KSB 3.1 in front, RC3 for center, KSB 2.1 in back. This was a bookshelf setup thats about 8 yrs old and was bought when I was just starting up.

I'm going to be getting RF-82s for the front, RB-51s for the back, and *debating* RS-42s (though I don't have alot of room for them, so that might get shot down) So how much of an improvement will I notice in my speaker upgrade? I listened to the 82s today at BB and was VERY impressed.

I would buy the RC-62 but BB doesn't carry it and the RC-52 looks alot smaller. Will the new setup work with the RC3 well? The RC3 is/was a great center.

I'm planning on purchasing tommorow night so any insight would be greatly appreciated!
post #380 of 37391 Old 01-18-2007, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

The RC-62 is definitely the better choice. It is far better mated to the 82's dynamically. RC-52 sounds good but you'll definitely hear the dynamic compression with wide bandwidth swings across the front. I wouldn't match Synergy. Different horn design so the tonal match will be different. RF-82's are one of my best sellers...GREAT speakers for the $$!

"Did you make 'em fine-ass-soundin' speakers over there what would sound gooder than hell comin' out of the back of my truck-boat-truck?"

-Early Cuyler. Poet Liquoreate
post #381 of 37391 Old 01-18-2007, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoza View Post

Any thoughts on using the RF-5's as suroound speakers?

I'm going to buy a pair of RF-83s soon and also an RC-64.

Currently I have a pair of RF-5s and a RSW-12 connected to a Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi.

I plan on doing a 5.1 setup with the speakers mentioned above, and bi-amping channel 6 and 7 to the fronts to have enough power for the RF-83s (280 wpc bi-amp).

Do you think the RF-83 and RC-64 will match well with my RF-5's / RSW-12?

Thanks.

RF-5's are a good sounding speaker...but they have a distinctively different sound than the Reference series 4 product (RF-83, etc). The horn design is different. Newer speakers are smoother with less distortion on the top end. Yes, they will work but a set of RB-81s or RS-62's would work better.
RF-83/RC-64 package is awesome...I've sold several sets with VERY happy customers!

"Did you make 'em fine-ass-soundin' speakers over there what would sound gooder than hell comin' out of the back of my truck-boat-truck?"

post #382 of 37391 Old 01-18-2007, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post

I'd have to disagree if you are talking about the current generation (series 4) RS surrounds. If your room layout dictates that your rear seats are close to the wall, you'll end up with a gaping hole in coverage using rear monopoles because of the 60 degree horns. Gen 4 RS surrounds and the THX Ultra 2 surrounds (which they are modeled after) have a near 160 degree radial coverage...they are not dipoles but closer in fact to wide dispersion monopoles. You CAN use them in the rears. The older gen 3 surrounds don't work but the newer ones do.

post #383 of 37391 Old 01-18-2007, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundood View Post

The RC-62 is definitely the better choice. It is far better mated to the 82's dynamically. RC-52 sounds good but you'll definitely hear the dynamic compression with wide bandwidth swings across the front. I wouldn't match Synergy. Different horn design so the tonal match will be different. RF-82's are one of my best sellers...GREAT speakers for the $$!

Well BB only carries the RC52 so I either stick with my RC3 for now or jump to the RC52.. is the RC52 an upgrade over my RC3 center?

I would imagine the jump from KSB 2.1 to RB51s would be noticeable as well, no?
post #384 of 37391 Old 01-19-2007, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

So is the RC52 a jump over my old RC3? I know the woofer size is smaller on the 52 (5.25 vs 6) then the RC3, but I'm curious as to if it can pair ok with the newer reference line?
post #385 of 37391 Old 01-19-2007, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

RF-5's are a good sounding speaker...but they have a distinctively different sound than the Reference series 4 product (RF-83, etc). The horn design is different. Newer speakers are smoother with less distortion on the top end. Yes, they will work but a set of RB-81s or RS-62's would work better.
RF-83/RC-64 package is awesome...I've sold several sets with VERY happy customers!

I have the RS62's with the RF-83/RC-64 and a PF15TL Definitive subwoofer (325 W, 15 in woofer) all connected to a Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVI, and the package sounds great. For movies I would consider them a very good value as well, especially since I know you can find them well under retail if you look around. I got mine all 40% - 50% off retail during a holiday sale at Ovation in Indianapolis, IN.

If you have the room for these speakers, I would definately give them a listen. Big speakers with big sound. These will eat for lunch any movie soundtrack you throw at it. In my opinion I'm a Optoma or Panasonic 720P projector away from having a really impressive home theatre for a very reasonable cost. In time....
post #386 of 37391 Old 01-19-2007, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgenius View Post

So is the RC52 a jump over my old RC3? I know the woofer size is smaller on the 52 (5.25 vs 6) then the RC3, but I'm curious as to if it can pair ok with the newer reference line?

I've heard them both, and they'll pair ok with the new reference line. By rule of thumb, due to the large sound the newer reference line provides, I'd go with the the larger woofer, but I don't think you would be disappointed either way, especially if you primarily use them for home theatre.
post #387 of 37391 Old 01-19-2007, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoND View Post

I've heard them both, and they'll pair ok with the new reference line. By rule of thumb, due to the large sound the newer reference line provides, I'd go with the the larger woofer, but I don't think you would be disappointed either way, especially if you primarily use them for home theatre.

I think I may just go with the RC52 then... seeing as I am primarily a home theatre guy and I don't need bleeding loud vocals.. but I want them clear and I think this upgrade will help make it possible.
post #388 of 37391 Old 01-19-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:

I guess I'll just get the RF-83 and RC-64 and see what they all sound like together. If the difference is really obvious to me using them as surrounds, they can always be moved elsewhere and replaced

Do you think the RSW-12 is powerful enough to match up with the RF-83s? I see Klipsch matches them up with the new triple speaker subwoofer.

Thanks.
post #389 of 37391 Old 01-19-2007, 12:31 PM

Hey guys, I need some advice on what speaker set-up to buy.

I am buying a Samsung 56" 1080p DLP, along with a Pioneer VSX 1016 AV receiver. I am stuck on the speakers though..

I have a 13'x15' living room, and I am debating whether to go with a C-2 center, S-2's up front and S-1's in the back along with a 10" Klipsch sub.

Or to go with C-2 center, F-1 (possibly F-2s) floor speakers in the front and the S-1's in the back.. my question if I go with this setup is will I even NEED the sub if I get the two F-1s? Will they provide enough base?

My only concern is that I live in an apartment complex.. anyone think either of these setups may be overkill and I should just go with the Quintet III speaker system and the 10" Klipsch sub?

edit - just some more info. I will use the TV mostly for DVDs, sports and the Xbox 360.. won't be used much for music.

Thanks!!
post #390 of 37391 Old 01-19-2007, 01:51 PM

I went with the R-5800 for my walls and the RW-12D for the sub. All of it is powered a 4806Ci. Sounds phenomenal. Denon and Klipsch are a perfect match.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Audio , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page