Forum Jump: 

post #39751 of 39764 Old Today, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK78 View Post
Wow.. Thats some serious surround system Your rear surrounds cost more then most people's entire systems.. LOL

I am sure it sounds sweet.

Hopefully you never decide to go ATMOS as mounting the RF-7IIs on the ceiling is going to be difficult

Mike

Heh....I already thought about that. But its not going to happen. People will just call me crazy.

You'll be surprised at some of these movie soundtracks having full range sound coming from the surround speakers. You'll notice that once you put the RF-82II where the surround goes. But once you get the RF-7II, you'll be tempted to do what I did. (Having 4 of them.)

Denon AVR-4520CI & Emotiva XPA-5
Denon DBT-3313UDCI, OPPO BDP-103D
Klipsch RF-7II's X4 Mains and Surround, RC-64II Center, RB-75 Heights and Back, RW-12 Subs x 2
Sony XBR-65X850A, PS3
My Home Thea7er
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39752 of 39764 Old Today, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figarou View Post
Heh....I already thought about that. But its not going to happen. People will just call me crazy.

You'll be surprised at some of these movie soundtracks having full range sound coming from the surround speakers. You'll notice that once you put the RF-82II where the surround goes. But once you get the RF-7II, you'll be tempted to do what I did. (Having 4 of them.)
When I bought mine RF-82II I use for 2 weeks before I sold my older F-3 and they did amazing job as surrounds and so as front wides it was great, I just don't have a room to keep them so I got RS-52II for surrounds and works great also. I think for some people can work surrounds with RF-82II pretty easily.

BTW what is your next project getting better subs?

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's , RB-81II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3

Last edited by retro124; Today at 09:43 AM.
post #39753 of 39764 Old Today, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I didn't think sound tracks had anything below 80Hz in the surround channels. I guess if your not using dedicated subs and running large it may make a difference. RF-7 II only goes down to 30Hz though so in HT a dedicated sub seems like a must have now days.

Denon X4000 - Klipsch KLF-10 Fronts - Klipsch KLF-C7 Center - Klipsch KLF-C7 X 2 Surrounds - Dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subs - BenQ W1070 projector - 106" Antra fixed Screen - 3D powered by AMD home built computer
post #39754 of 39764 Old Today, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy1970 View Post
I didn't think sound tracks had anything below 80Hz in the surround channels. I guess if your not using dedicated subs and running large it may make a difference. RF-7 II only goes down to 30Hz though so in HT a dedicated sub seems like a must have now days.

I am a fan of 'overkill' but I agree with you. Fwiw, the reason to have RF-7s as side surrounds is for the larger compression driver and horn and I would still run them as Small and set a crossover if one had capable subs.
Louis Bartay likes this.
post #39755 of 39764 Old Today, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
When I bought mine RF-82II I use for 2 weeks before I sold my older F-3 and they did amazing job as surrounds and so as front wides it was great, I just don't have a room to keep them so I got RS-52II for surrounds and works great also. I think for some people can work surrounds with RF-82II pretty easily.

BTW what is your next project getting better subs?
Nope. Getting the Denon AVR-X7200W

Klipsch RF-7II's X4 Mains and Surround, RC-64II Center, RB-75 Heights and Back, RW-12 Subs x 2
Sony XBR-65X850A, PS3
My Home Thea7er
post #39756 of 39764 Old Today, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I didn't think sound tracks had anything below 80Hz in the surround channels.
You can have full range on ALL channels. Some movie soundtracks makes great use of it.

Quote:
I guess if your not using dedicated subs and running large it may make a difference. RF-7 II only goes down to 30Hz though so in HT a dedicated sub seems like a must have now days.
After running Audyssey, the crossover is set at 40Hz for the RF-7IIs on the AVR-4520CI.

Sony XBR-65X850A, PS3
My Home Thea7er
post #39757 of 39764 Old Today, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You can have full range on ALL channels. Some movie soundtracks makes great use of it.

After running Audyssey, the crossover is set at 40Hz for the RF-7IIs on the AVR-4520CI.

I think what he is saying is that movies mixed on Blu rays use the LFE track to send those lower notes because it's more efficient to do so and the mixers know most people use subwoofers and don't have speakers capable of hitting those lower notes.

That is also why your AVR-4520ci (and most other AVRs) lowest setting is 40 Hz.
post #39758 of 39764 Old Today, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
I think what he is saying is that movies mixed on Blu rays use the LFE track to send those lower notes because it's more efficient to do so and the mixers know most people use subwoofers and don't have speakers capable of hitting those lower notes.

That is also why your AVR-4520ci (and most other AVRs) lowest setting is 40 Hz.
Good thing I have the "LFE+main" on.

Sony XBR-65X850A, PS3
My Home Thea7er
post #39759 of 39764 Old Today, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Good thing I have the "LFE+main" on.

It's been awhile since we talked about Bass Management in this thread. That said, you have some very nice speakers and AVR and it appears your weak links are your RW-12s (and only compared to the rest of your system) I also imagine running your speakers as Large (or even crossing them over at 40 Hz and running them as small) helps compensate for that and in a large room (or even loud volumes) your external amp is beneficial...

Fwiw, if you (or others considering bang-for-your-buck) upgrades I can attest that having capable subs is a good way to go. They can go lower than your speakers and frees up you power supply to run your speakers more efficiently. Consider that you have 100 watts available to your speakers but larger subwoofers have many times that to hit notes being sent to them...In that scenario it won't take near as much to drive your speakers and anything below 80 Hz shouldn't be directional. I have most of my speakers crossed at 60 Hz because I sit pretty close to them and found they blend perfectly where I don't notice the subwoofers and the sound seems to be generated from the direction they were intended...Higher frequencies from the speakers give directional cues that you hear and the lower end is produced by the subs. My 2 cents.
Louis Bartay likes this.
post #39760 of 39764 Old Today, 03:49 PM

Quote:
It's been awhile since we talked about Bass Management in this thread. That said, you have some very nice speakers and AVR and it appears your weak links are your RW-12s (and only compared to the rest of your system) I also imagine running your speakers as Large (or even crossing them over at 40 Hz and running them as small) helps compensate for that and in a large room (or even loud volumes) your external amp is beneficial...

Fwiw, if you (or others considering bang-for-your-buck) upgrades I can attest that having capable subs is a good way to go. They can go lower than your speakers and frees up you power supply to run your speakers more efficiently. Consider that you have 100 watts available to your speakers but larger subwoofers have many times that to hit notes being sent to them...In that scenario it won't take near as much to drive your speakers and anything below 80 Hz shouldn't be directional. I have most of my speakers crossed at 60 Hz because I sit pretty close to them and found they blend perfectly where I don't notice the subwoofers and the sound seems to be generated from the direction they were intended...Higher frequencies from the speakers give directional cues that you hear and the lower end is produced by the subs. My 2 cents.
Yes...I know the RW-12s are not the best subs.

But I'm curious about something. Everything in that room is plugged into one circuit breaker. If I did upgrade the subwoofers, would it be bad idea? I'm not sure how much power can go through that circuit breaker before it trips.

Sony XBR-65X850A, PS3
My Home Thea7er
post #39761 of 39764 Old Today, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But I'm curious about something. Everything in that room is plugged into one circuit breaker. If I did upgrade the subwoofers, would it be bad idea? I'm not sure how much power can go through that circuit breaker before it trips.

For the record, I wasn't dissing on your subs--Just conveying an opinion about Bass Management.

Insofar as tripping your breaker---I dunno. My guess is you have either a 15 or 20 Amp circuits and that you aren't coming close to tripping it unless you have a really large room. Even if you are running your speakers as Large your Emotiva probably isn't breaking a sweat and your AVR is only using what it takes to run the processors...

I have a 9.2 Home Theater being driven by an AVR-4311ci with everything but one sub going into a Monster Power Supply conditioner. Even at Reference level I've only been able to get the 3 amp light on and that is with our plasma tv also on. My subwoofer is rated at 625 w/continuous and 2400 watts RMS but only at about 1/4 volume at the sub.{Note my other sub is on another circuit because of the way the house designed not because we needed it.}
post #39762 of 39764 Old Today, 04:58 PM

Quote:
For the record, I wasn't dissing on your subs--Just conveying an opinion about Bass Management.

Insofar as tripping your breaker---I dunno. My guess is you have either a 15 or 20 Amp circuits and that you aren't coming close to tripping it unless you have a really large room. Even if you are running your speakers as Large your Emotiva probably isn't breaking a sweat and your AVR is only using what it takes to run the processors...

I have a 9.2 Home Theater being driven by an AVR-4311ci with everything but one sub going into a Monster Power Supply conditioner. Even at Reference level I've only been able to get the 3 amp light on and that is with our plasma tv also on. My subwoofer is rated at 625 w/continuous and 2400 watts RMS but only at about 1/4 volume at the sub.{Note my other sub is on another circuit because of the way the house designed not because we needed it.}
3 amps. That's about 360 watts. According to this tool.
And this one.

I may consider upgrading my subs after I get the X7200. Not sure which ones as of yet.

Sony XBR-65X850A, PS3
My Home Thea7er

Last edited by Figarou; Today at 05:10 PM.
post #39763 of 39764 Old Today, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
3 amps. That's about 360 watts. According to this tool.

Yep--I have a pretty efficient setup and that includes the TV. {Note: At low volume the 2 amp is the one lit with everything going but I've never had the 4 amp LED go on.}
post #39764 of 39764 Old Today, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I have a Denon 4311 and Emotiva XPA 5 powering a JTR/Klipsch speaker combo. I have three subs, 2 passive powered by a Crown K2 pro amp(800 wpc) the other is an Epik Empire w/a 600 watt amp. My room is over 4000 cu ft.

All of this is on a single 15 amp circuit with no problems at all. I redlined the system once listening to music to test earplugs and did not trip the breaker, and never have. On occasion I've seen lights dim playing difficult material (think WOTW at reference). Having efficient speakers like yours helps keep the power needs down.

Last edited by dpc716; Today at 06:08 PM.
Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black