Klipsch owner thread - Page 1340 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #40171 of 40182 Old Today, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 475
I have a vaulted ceiling & therefore plan to use Klipsch PRO speakers IF I go Atmos...
Louis Bartay likes this.

Last edited by SanchoPanza; Today at 07:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40172 of 40182 Old Today, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post
I have a vaulted ceiling & therefore plan to use Klipsch PRO speakers IF I go Atmos...

I don't know anything about their Pro line but after going to the website and checking them out they do look impressive...That said, they also are quite large.
post #40173 of 40182 Old Today, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 551
Ryan aka Reference_head gave me a demo of his pro KPT904's when I picked up my 7II's from him. They are very impressive and the way to go if you have the room. In fact impressive is kinda an understatement actually they were literally jaw dropping. I would consider them if I ever had a dedicated room in the future.

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #40174 of 40182 Old Today, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefav1 View Post
Is it efficient using surrounds in this situation? When mounted, one side of the tweeter/woofer will point towards the TV area, while the other tweeter/woofer will point towards the back wall. Won't the sound just bounce off the back wall and travel towards TV area?
I would think that in this situation mounting them on the back wall in closer to the couch would be a good idea. My thinking is that one side of the speaker would fire towards the MLP and cascade along the back wall and the other would fire into the 12 foot wall and bounce back also towards MLP.

I have seen a lot of people on here with their rs's mounted on the rear wall and with the 42's I would want them a little closer to the seating position than 12 feet anyway.

AVR Onkyo 818
Fronts Klipsch RF-62II's
Center Klipsch RC-62II
Sides Onkyo SKR-980's
Sub SVS PB 2000
Blu-Ray Sony Ps3 Screen Samsung UN46D8000

Last edited by Niroe64; Today at 09:50 AM.
post #40175 of 40182 Old Today, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
Ryan aka Reference_head gave me a demo of his pro KPT904's when I picked up my 7II's from him..
I have no doubt but mounting them on the ceiling would be somewhat of a chore.
post #40176 of 40182 Old Today, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 256
My first comment is that if you had 1.5-2K$ to spend and your father's Klipschorns, we'd be talking.

If the surrounds have sensitivity and power to be level-matched with your main, I don't see 12 feet as a problem. Often times the speakers are too close and the person closest to one only hears that one. So yeah, RB might be better than RS in this case.

Quote:
I'm putting a new home theater setup in the basement (well it'll be functional at least) and looking for recommendations for speakers. I'm going to be going with Klipsch (grew up listening to vinyl on my father's Klipschorns). Funny, when I went off to college, I bought some Cerwin-Vega's bookshelfs for my dorm room. When he found out, he made me return them and pick out any other bookshelfs, as long as the manufacturer began with a k and ended with an h. Ended up with some KG2.5's and still have them today!

Anyways, I'm torn with the rear setup for my home theater area. I'm not too concerned about cost, well within reason (thinking around 1500-2k). My theater area is 24x12 and the plasma will be mounted on in the center of 24 length wall, with the couch opposite of course. The ceiling height is about 7-8 ft.

With the special Klipsch is running now (getting a free sub with 5 speaker qualifying purchase), I'm looking at the following...

RF52II for the fronts
RC52II for the center
RS42II for the surrounds

My concern now is over the surrounds. They will be mounted in the corners of the room up near the ceiling on the 12 foot wall, so they would be maybe 2 feet or so above where your head would be sitting on the couch. And that also means they will be about 12 feet or so from the sitting area.

Is it efficient using surrounds in this situation? When mounted, one side of the tweeter/woofer will point towards the TV area, while the other tweeter/woofer will point towards the back wall. Won't the sound just bounce off the back wall and travel towards TV area?

I'm wondering if I should be looking at maybe RB41II's or even RB51II's instead of the surrounds.

Thoughts?

post #40177 of 40182 Old Today, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niroe64 View Post
I would think that in this situation mounting them on the back wall in closer to the couch would be a good idea. My thinking is that one side of the speaker would fire towards the MLP and cascade along the back wall and the other would fire into the 12 foot wall and bounce back also towards MLP.

I have seen a lot of people on here with their rs's mounted on the rear wall and with the 42's I would want them a little closer to the seating position than 12 feet anyway.
Not sure why I didn't think of just mounting them on the back wall, thanks!!.

I can probably get them in another 2 feet on each side by mounting on the back wall, so they would be about 9-10 feet away on either side of the MLP (i guess this means main listening position??).

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post
My first comment is that if you had 1.5-2K$ to spend and your father's Klipschorns, we'd be talking.

If the surrounds have sensitivity and power to be level-matched with your main, I don't see 12 feet as a problem. Often times the speakers are too close and the person closest to one only hears that one. So yeah, RB might be better than RS in this case.
Unfortunately, they are already spoken for (2 older brothers ).

I'm wondering if that is the case then (surrounds being farther than normal), I should bump up to the RS52II's. The sensitivity on the RF52II and RC52II are both 96, while the sensitivity on the RS42II is 93 and the RS52II is 95.

I went by Klipsch's speaker selector program, which spit out the combo I initially inquired about.
post #40178 of 40182 Old Today, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
I don't know anything about their Pro line but after going to the website and checking them out they do look impressive...That said, they also are quite large.

so is my room...

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #40179 of 40182 Old Today, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Not sure why I didn't think of just mounting them on the back wall, thanks!!.

I can probably get them in another 2 feet on each side by mounting on the back wall, so they would be about 9-10 feet away on either side of the MLP (i guess this means main listening position??).
Yeah MLP is main listening position. One reason I thought to bring them in closer is so that the outside driver has a little space before it reflects off of the wall and so it isn't firing directly in the corner. Not sure how big of a difference this would make but I would assume you would want at least 2 feet between it and the wall.

The 42's should be plenty but if you have the money nothing wrong with future proofing with the 52's. The sensitivity is good enough with your fronts that the difference in efficiency between the rs 42 and 52 isn't a big deal. 93 sensitivity is still pretty awesome.

AVR Onkyo 818
Fronts Klipsch RF-62II's
Center Klipsch RC-62II
Sides Onkyo SKR-980's
Sub SVS PB 2000
post #40180 of 40182 Old Today, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've also come to realize that I want to keep my current receiver, which is 90w/2c driven. So going to a 5.1 system, I'm probably looking at more like what 75-80w/channel? So maybe the 42's (which are 75 RMS) would be more efficient. While the 52's would work, they could overwork my receiver.

Plus, I will be running a sub, so the low 36hz of the 52 would be more than taken care of by the sub, since I would probably crossover around 80hz.

Is my rationale correct? Am I missing something?
post #40181 of 40182 Old Today, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I've also come to realize that I want to keep my current receiver, which is 90w/2c driven. So going to a 5.1 system, I'm probably looking at more like what 75-80w/channel? So maybe the 42's (which are 75 RMS) would be more efficient. While the 52's would work, they could overwork my receiver.

Plus, I will be running a sub, so the low 36hz of the 52 would be more than taken care of by the sub, since I would probably crossover around 80hz.

Is my rationale correct? Am I missing something?
From what I understand the RMS is the maximum power the speaker can handle. Even if you got the 52's you shouldn't have to worry about not having enough power if you aren't listening ridiculously loud.

You probably will only use 16 watts most for any given speaker during loud passages in movies and parts that require more power wont necessarily be playing out of all speakers at once.

For example* If your rf 52's are rated 96. Subtract how far you sit away from them and that is the real world sensitivity (Please someone correct me if I am wrong haha). So sitting 10 feet away the new sensitivity is 86. 1 watt gives you a maximum spl of 86 db at 10 feet. If you want peaks of 95 db during playback you double the required watts for each 3 db increase in spl. That would equal only 16 watts per speaker that is playing at 95 db.

Of course speaker placement and room layout effects all of this but you would be hard pressed to use more power than your receiver is capable of.

AVR Onkyo 818
Fronts Klipsch RF-62II's
Center Klipsch RC-62II
Sides Onkyo SKR-980's
Sub SVS PB 2000

Last edited by Niroe64; Today at 05:26 PM.
post #40182 of 40182 Old Today, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
I have no doubt but mounting them on the ceiling would be somewhat of a chore.
Ahh shet did I miss something again

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page