post #40231 of 40249 Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkami712 View Post
I knew that was going to be the first question, sadly no. I'm still in college and couldn't swing the extra $459 for the RC-62 II. In hindsight I should have dumped the 81's and gotten the RC62 to run a 3.1 setup. Live and learn I guess. I eventually plan to have a 7.1 setup with: RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RB-81 II, and RS-62 II. An old Yamaha center from 2004 will have to suffice for now .
You can run a phantom center with the 82s np. It will sound great at the lp. Not as good away from the main lp. But will still sound good.

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and Heresy II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40232 of 40249 Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

When you run your auto eq with your avr. It will know you have no center and send all center info to the 82s. It will sound like you have a center when sitting in the middle of the 82s. I run a phantom in one of my set ups and its still really nice.

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and Heresy II for backs.
post #40233 of 40249 Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post
.... When Ultimate Electronics went banko. It pretty much killed that in my area. I don't think I would have bought most of those speakers with no demo.

Actually when Ultimate Electronics went bankrupt here in the DFW the same thing happened...When they first went in prior to 9/11 there were several stores that sold Klipsch Reference and had them set up relatively in good listening situations where you could hear to them and compare them to other upper end brands...A couple years after 9/11 and the slowdown for all of these companies, not so much...

Klipsch started to go into Home Installation establishments (some appeared to be in spec homes that the sales person seemed to be living in) and you needed to set up an appointment. Now it appears most are being sold on the internet by word-of-mouth and "we" are the sales people.
post #40234 of 40249 Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 734
I agree that it really sucks that the brick and mortar stores are drying up. Can't go out and demo anything. Zen is right with word-of-mouth selling these things anymore.

My place in Albuquerque had a theater room with two Khorns in the front, La Scala in the center and two Khorns hanging upside down in the rear. I could sit in there for hours! The owner was actually a personal friend of PWK. That's how I met the Man.
Zen Traveler likes this.

Life without bass is not worth living.
post #40235 of 40249 Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
Well the closest place to audition the Ref II series was 100 miles from me so I already had the older Synergy speakers and knew that I liked honky horns so I took a gamble and read everything on the internet which ofc is all TRUE and decided to buy into the Ref II series lol. Worked out great!! To much of my surprise the speakers arrived and yes they sounded great.

I can dig it. That said, I am not too sure the next generation of Klipschsters are going to get as good of speakers as we have...It used to be that the only way to get an opinion was to walk into the stores and hear the speakers and listen to what various folks are saying along with actually hearing the speakers--Good and bad. I bought my first set of speakers when the sales person seemed to really want to sell me another brand and I decided to take my time and scour every store I could find and listened to at least a dozen different configurations and brands before I made up my mind.

Unfortunately, what was within my budget I couldn't justify buying because it didn't sound that good and then decided I needed to triple it for the endeavor to be worthwhile. Since then I enjoyed learning more about what I was listening to along with wheel-n-dealing with the various salespeople along with getting information from the internet...The last person I bought speakers from sent me a thank you card for teaching him so much about Klipsch speakers.
post #40236 of 40249 Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Maybe I'm just not asking the questions right. Let me try again [emoji4]

The RF-42 has an FR of 59-24khz.
The RF-82 has an FR of 33-24khz.

Assuming all parts are equal except the woofers, then doesn't that mean they would sound identical except in the range where the one cannot play that the other can? In this case, 33-58hz.

The 100-1khz that you mentioned should be identical because both speakers are capable of reproducing that bandwidth accurately right?

Or are you saying that the 42 doesn't reproduce that range as accurately as the 82 just because of driver size even though, as it clearly states on the klipsch specs, they are both capable of playing those same frequencies.

Can someone please correct me on one more thing please? The only reasons to increase woofer size in a speaker is to a) increase sensitivity and/or b) to be able to play lower frequencies.

Thank you guys for all the help and info.
No, no, NO.

The fact that two different speakers can reproduce identical frequencies doesn't mean that they'll sound identical. For the most part, nearly any speaker can "produce" the entire humanly-audible frequency range.

Again, I'm going to assume that this discussion is about listening to actual musical content, here... not gunshots or explosions... or rhythmic, sub-60Hz bass notes.

Setting aside speaker "brands" for a moment... go to a Best Buy or a Frys or any place that has a demo room, and demo some speakers, live-and-in-person. Take some CDs or a thumb drive with you, and make sure to include purely instrumental tracks and vocals. And bring a variety of music... not just one kind. And skip the bass-heavy stuff: you're not testing subwoofers. Listen to melodic music that includes things like acoustic piano, acoustic guitar, acoustic bass, cello, vibraphone, tenor sax... and a richly full-toned alto female voice (things like Anita Baker's early works come to mind, or perhaps Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" CD).

In the demo room, make sure that all of the demo speakers are being run through the same AVR. Also make sure that NO subwoofers are engaged during these listening tests. And no surrounds, either. Listen to a pair of towers with small woofers first, and then listen to the same series-models of that speaker that have progressively larger woofers.

The point, here, is that you're attempting to discern which of these speakers produces the most realistically accurate output. Which ones sound more like you're really "there"?

If, after doing that, you still think that the 4-inch-woofered towers sound just as accurate and "real" as the same-model-series ones with eight- or ten-inch woofers... you might consider visiting your local audiologist.
Soupy1970 and cchunter like this.
post #40237 of 40249 Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
Jeez! Does anyone actually go listen to speakers anymore?
I did and it kept me from buying Klipsch speakers for several years. During the demo movies were really good, music I couldn't tolerate for more than a minute, so I never gave them consideration until I decided to make a big upgrade from my NHT SuperZero system.

There was not much in my price range that I though would be "that" upgrade I was wanting so I took a chance on the Klipsch from Crutchfield since it's a no risk proposition- the only one available in Hawaii.

I loved them in my home using my own equipment.

Demoing in store can give some good info or like in my case bad info. The ONLY way to demo speakers is in your own home.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #40238 of 40249 Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post
I have owned a ton of klipsch speakers and the bigger is better is almost always the case.
Minor correction

It's not almost aways the case, it is always the case
post #40239 of 40249 Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coytee View Post
Minor correction

It's not almost aways the case, it is always the case
I hear you. I said almost always because of the few cases that the lower level speakers that are a little bigger than a higher level. Like the f-30 vs a rf-62. I guess I should have said with all things being equal. But yea every speaker I got as I went bigger and bigger with klipsch always had a bigger better sound.

Its a popular belief here on avs that floor standers are a waste of money when using a sub. And that a bookshelf would be just as good. When I read that posted here on a science forum. By long time members. It just baffles me. Now I guess if you put a 6" driver and a 1" dome in a giant cab vs the same 6" driver and 1" dome in a small bookshelf with a sub at 80hz. That would probably be really close and the bookshelf might be the better value in this example. But thats just not how klipsch speakers work. And is why a black and white statement they make is wrong in a lot of examples. What should be said is "In some cases getting a floor stander can be a waste depending on the floor stander your looking at, and the bookshelf that you can compare it with". Just going all in with a black and white statement is untrue and frankly really bad advise.

Last edited by Reference_head; Yesterday at 06:37 PM.
post #40240 of 40249 Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
I did and it kept me from buying Klipsch speakers for several years. During the demo movies were really good, music I couldn't tolerate for more than a minute, so I never gave them consideration until I decided to make a big upgrade from my NHT SuperZero system.

There was not much in my price range that I though would be "that" upgrade I was wanting so I took a chance on the Klipsch from Crutchfield since it's a no risk proposition- the only one available in Hawaii.

I loved them in my home using my own equipment.

Demoing in store can give some good info or like in my case bad info. The ONLY way to demo speakers is in your own home.

Hmm. I agree that having the speakers in your home and auditioning them in room with the equipment you are planning is the way to go. I also understand the disadvantages and things to look out for in instore demonstrations, but if you couldn't "tolerate music for more than a minute," we can agree something was setup wrong or you were listening to speakers that were different than the ones you purchased.

Having a no risk trial offer is way to go but I take that as a given when I purchased my speakers locally and have taken speakers and AVRs back. That said, if I didn't like the way the speakers sounded in the store I wouldn't have taken them home.

I also understand and think online sales is going to be the new norm but am curious how that is going to effect quality. IOW, when you said "no risk trial" does that mean you could audition several speakers and send the ones you didn't like best back? How would shipping costs work in a scenario like that? Heck, if online companies eat those costs then they would have a model I could appreciate.
Reference_head likes this.
post #40241 of 40249 Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Loving the additional copper in the house with the new 82ii's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	387409  

Harman Kardon 3700
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RB-51 II
Klipsch RC-52 II
Klipsch SS-1's
Klipsch R-112SW
post #40242 of 40249 Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb12679 View Post
Loving the additional copper in the house with the new 82ii's
Nice!!! I see you have young kids...hopefully you don't come home from work one day and there are 4 copper smiley faces staring at you...
post #40243 of 40249 Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey guys. Been a while since I've been here. I've finally settled into my new house and have my home theater all set up - 20x13 room with 8ft ceilings that's open on one end. I have the following 7.1 surround setup:

TV: Samsung Curved 4K UHD HU9000
Receiver: Denon x3100
Fronts: Klipsch RF-82 II
Center: RC-62 II
Side Surrounds: CDT-5800-II
Rear Surrounds: RS-62 II

I've saved the subwoofer for last and am having some trouble deciding. I have a post up in the subwoofer thread, but wanted to reach out to the Klipsch family for some help.

I was wondering, do any of you have any experience with the R-110SW, R-112SW, or R-115SW? I wasn't sure if it was better to stay in the Reference line. I was also interested in the SVS PB-2000.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
post #40244 of 40249 Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefav1 View Post
Nice!!! I see you have young kids...hopefully you don't come home from work one day and there are 4 copper smiley faces staring at you...

He's three and I have worried of the same. Hoping for the best

Harman Kardon 3700
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RB-51 II
Klipsch RC-52 II
Klipsch SS-1's
Klipsch R-112SW
post #40245 of 40249 Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM

Well, I have the package. Damn that was fast free shipping...ordered yesterday morning, had them here around 4pm today. The UPS guy actually had to back into my driveway and then gave me a look like, you better put your shoes on and come help...

I will say the RF52's balance the room nice. The RF62's would be nice too, but so would the RF82's and the RF7's, but I think they would be overbearing...not that there's anything wrong with it, but aesthetically speaking wise. And the RF42's would have been too small. So I think the RF52's look nice!!! I already had the wife come down and request a volume decrease...

I've been going through the playlist on my phone and while I only have the RF52's up and running (drinking some winter lager and unpacking the other components), they sound pretty decent. Listening to Echoes (Pink Floyd) and it makes me want to increase the volume, but I know what that'll bring...

Tomorrow I'll add the center channel and the sub into the mix...
post #40246 of 40249 Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHarmo88 View Post
Hey guys. Been a while since I've been here. I've finally settled into my new house and have my home theater all set up - 20x13 room with 8ft ceilings that's open on one end. I have the following 7.1 surround setup:

I've saved the subwoofer for last and am having some trouble deciding. I have a post up in the subwoofer thread, but wanted to reach out to the Klipsch family for some help.

I was wondering, do any of you have any experience with the R-110SW, R-112SW, or R-115SW? I wasn't sure if it was better to stay in the Reference line. I was also interested in the SVS PB-2000.

Look into HSU and SVS subs. I am partial to the HSU as that is what I own (two of them). http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk4.html

Denon X4000 - Klipsch KLF-10 Fronts - Klipsch KLF-C7 Center - Klipsch KLF-C7 X 2 Surrounds - Dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subs - BenQ W1070 projector - 106" Antra fixed Screen - 3D powered by AMD home built computer
post #40247 of 40249 Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHarmo88 View Post

svs all the way!

post #40248 of 40249 Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM

Question...maybe a silly question, but here goes...how do they measure woofer size? I took a tape measure to my RF52's and measured across from rubber edge to rubber edge and it's 4.5 inches. How do they measure to say that it's 5.25 inches?

Yamaha RX-V673
Klipsch RF-52 II // RC-52 II // RS-42 II
Klipsch RW-12d // R-110SW
Klipsch KG 2.5
post #40249 of 40249 Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefav1 View Post
Question...maybe a silly question, but here goes...how do they measure woofer size? I took a tape measure to my RF52's and measured across from rubber edge to rubber edge and it's 4.5 inches. How do they measure to say that it's 5.25 inches?
That's pretty common with the reference line. I know the 82 rubber to rubber was 7"ish. The 83 are also 7"ish. They seem to find any thing they can to over rate them. And I've said so many times they don't need to bs. The real stats are still impressive. And the speakers sound great.
Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page