Klipsch owner thread - Page 1368 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Klipsch owner thread

Speakers

Mk3_wagen's Avatar Mk3_wagen
10:41 AM Liked: 16
post #41011 of 41024
Today | Posts: 173
Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrinivas View Post
Merry Christmas to everyone..

I have recently setup a klipsch 7.1 setup. I am not very pleased with the sound, bit bright and low on bass.

Here is my configuration, please suggest me the recommended settings.

AVR: Denon X4000
All speakers are set to Small.
Crossover set to 80 Hz for all speakers
LPF for LFE set to 120 Hz
Subwoofer mode : LFE
Dynamic Volume: off
Subwoofer volume Level: -3.5 db

Speakers:
Fronts: RF 82 II
Center: RC 62 II
Surround: RS 54 II
Rear: RS 42 II

Subwoofer: SVS PB 2000
Volume set to 12o Clock
Low Pass Filter set to 120Hz
Phase set to 0

I ran the audyssey on the receiver but still feel something is missing..
I had a similar experience last week with a similar setup. I must've messed with the receiver settings/sub placement for at least 6hrs. The last thing I did before giving up was swapping my old Pioneer VSX-32 with the Denon. Right away I noticed that both the sub and the RF82II's sounded better with the Pioneer. I was surprised since the Pioneer is weaker and is almost 4 years older.
Mk3_wagen's Avatar Mk3_wagen
10:45 AM Liked: 16
post #41012 of 41024
Today | Posts: 173
Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
Everything looks good except turn your sub volume up to about 2-3 o'clock. Low pass filter on sub should be disabled or maxed out. If you still think they are too bright then shut audyssey off and goto manual eq mode and adjust to a house curve per your liking. Another thing you could do is put your mains at full range which in turn bypasses any XO.
Why does the sub need to be turned up higher? I've always had my PB2000 in the 12-1 o'clock range. Depending on the room it would set the trim on my Pioneer/Denon to -3 to -4.5. I was told by the guys at SVS that as long as it's not in the positive side that it was fine. I also gives me a little room to turn up the sub a few dbs if I want.
jaykay0222's Avatar jaykay0222
10:49 AM Liked: 16
post #41013 of 41024
Today | Posts: 90
Joined: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrinivas View Post
Merry Christmas to everyone..

I have recently setup a klipsch 7.1 setup. I am not very pleased with the sound, bit bright and low on bass.

Here is my configuration, please suggest me the recommended settings.

AVR: Denon X4000
All speakers are set to Small.
Crossover set to 80 Hz for all speakers
LPF for LFE set to 120 Hz
Subwoofer mode : LFE
Dynamic Volume: off
Subwoofer volume Level: -3.5 db

Speakers:
Fronts: RF 82 II
Center: RC 62 II
Surround: RS 54 II
Rear: RS 42 II

Subwoofer: SVS PB 2000
Volume set to 12o Clock
Low Pass Filter set to 120Hz
Phase set to 0

I ran the audyssey on the receiver but still feel something is missing..
What is source? If it is Blu-ray - did you turn on bit streaming on your player audio settings

Denon X4000 is on the brighter side; but I suggest re-run your audyssey with multiple positions (4 or more) and make sure you are selecting DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD on your AVR to get SQ of your liking
gsrinivas's Avatar gsrinivas
02:23 PM Liked: 10
post #41014 of 41024
Today | Posts: 81
Joined: Dec 2013
Thanks for all your replies.

I will increase the volume on the sub and see if it improves the sound.

Also, How do I get the sound crispness with these speakers? what factors for the crispness in the sound? Is it the crossover frequency or by design, these speakers are bright?

I had always set my sound mode to Dolby Surrounds (PL II Cinema), changed the sound mode to DTS but do not see noticeable difference.
cchunter's Avatar cchunter
04:10 PM Liked: 567
post #41015 of 41024
Today | Posts: 1,471
Joined: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk3_wagen View Post
Why does the sub need to be turned up higher? I've always had my PB2000 in the 12-1 o'clock range. Depending on the room it would set the trim on my Pioneer/Denon to -3 to -4.5. I was told by the guys at SVS that as long as it's not in the positive side that it was fine. I also gives me a little room to turn up the sub a few dbs if I want.
He asked why his system was lacking in bass. I told him to turn the sub volume up. Most SVS owners and especially the ones that came from a cheap budget boomy sub that thought it sounded loud but actually was distortion are not used to the flat smooth bass from an SVS. Most need to turn the volume up and 2-3 o'clock seems to be the desired mark to achieve what the owner wants. I'm not saying everyone does that but most run an SVS 3-6 db's hot.
Soupy1970's Avatar Soupy1970
04:56 PM Liked: 186
post #41016 of 41024
Today | Posts: 441
Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
Everything looks good except turn your sub volume up to about 2-3 o'clock. Low pass filter on sub should be disabled or maxed out. If you still think they are too bright then shut audyssey off and goto manual eq mode and adjust to a house curve per your liking. Another thing you could do is put your mains at full range which in turn bypasses any XO.
The sub volume (gain) does not need turned up if the AVR is setting it at -3.5. You only need to raise this if the AVR is setting it in the plus (+). This control is different for every room.
Soupy1970's Avatar Soupy1970
05:00 PM Liked: 186
post #41017 of 41024
Today | Posts: 441
Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrinivas View Post
Merry Christmas to everyone..

I have recently setup a klipsch 7.1 setup. I am not very pleased with the sound, bit bright and low on bass.

Here is my configuration, please suggest me the recommended settings.

AVR: Denon X4000
All speakers are set to Small.
Crossover set to 80 Hz for all speakers
LPF for LFE set to 120 Hz
Subwoofer mode : LFE
Dynamic Volume: off
Subwoofer volume Level: -3.5 db

Speakers:
Fronts: RF 82 II
Center: RC 62 II
Surround: RS 54 II
Rear: RS 42 II

Subwoofer: SVS PB 2000
Volume set to 12o Clock
Low Pass Filter set to 120Hz
Phase set to 0

I ran the audyssey on the receiver but still feel something is missing..
Run Audyssey again and keep the mic close to the main listening position. Don't spread it out to each seat in the room. Just move it 6" left/right/front/back. Also be sure to use a mic boom, or camera stand. You may find you just don't like horns. If all else fails try using the Mains+LFE feature.
Soupy1970's Avatar Soupy1970
05:16 PM Liked: 186
post #41018 of 41024
Today | Posts: 441
Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrinivas View Post
Thanks for all your replies.

I will increase the volume on the sub and see if it improves the sound.

Also, How do I get the sound crispness with these speakers? what factors for the crispness in the sound? Is it the crossover frequency or by design, these speakers are bright?

I had always set my sound mode to Dolby Surrounds (PL II Cinema), changed the sound mode to DTS but do not see noticeable difference.
If you turn up the volume on your sub than be sure to run Audyssey again. You don't need to turn it up if Audyssey detected it at -3.5. I have a different sub, but my subs are off at 6:30 at I have mine set around 8 o'clock (and that's probably a tad high). This really means nothing though, as every room is different and 10 people can have your same sub but have completely different volume settings. Room size, and room treatments play a big factor in the sub volume. No two rooms are a like. If your AVR gets anywhere near +- 12 you need to adjust the volume. -3.5 is a good setting though. If you like to run a little hot than try adjusting the SPL in the AVR (not subs volume control) to -0.5 . This will set your sub 3db hot and is a common practice. I run mine 3db hot.

Also follow my last suggestion and run Audyssey again.
funhouse69's Avatar funhouse69
06:00 PM Liked: 49
post #41019 of 41024
Today | Posts: 545
Joined: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrinivas View Post
Merry Christmas to everyone..

I have recently setup a klipsch 7.1 setup. I am not very pleased with the sound, bit bright and low on bass.

Here is my configuration, please suggest me the recommended settings.

AVR: Denon X4000
All speakers are set to Small.
Crossover set to 80 Hz for all speakers
LPF for LFE set to 120 Hz
Subwoofer mode : LFE
Dynamic Volume: off
Subwoofer volume Level: -3.5 db

Speakers:
Fronts: RF 82 II
Center: RC 62 II
Surround: RS 54 II
Rear: RS 42 II

Subwoofer: SVS PB 2000
Volume set to 12o Clock
Low Pass Filter set to 120Hz
Phase set to 0

I ran the audyssey on the receiver but still feel something is missing..
Is this a whole new setup?

Either way make sure that your Center Channel Speaker is properly angled up or down so that the center of it is aimed properly at your MLP.

You front Mains should at least 6 to 8 feet apart (or more) and "Toed In" also towards the MLP. I have a very similar setup as you and I love it.

Other things that could cause an issue is / are Hardwood Floors, not a lot of material around the room to absorb the sound. Even something as simple as a glass table somewhere in the area of the MLP can cause the setup to over compensate.
cchunter's Avatar cchunter
07:06 PM Liked: 567
post #41020 of 41024
Today | Posts: 1,471
Joined: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy1970 View Post
The sub volume (gain) does not need turned up if the AVR is setting it at -3.5. You only need to raise this if the AVR is setting it in the plus (+). This control is different for every room.
The sub volume needs to be turned up if my ears says it needs to be turned up. Again it depends on what the listener desires for bass. Yes the room does make the difference in where you should start your volume at when calibrating. Some people prefer running their subs more than 6db's hot. Btw he could go 3 db's hotter and still be at -0.5. He would still be in the negative lol. Is that ok for you?
Mk3_wagen's Avatar Mk3_wagen
07:23 PM Liked: 16
post #41021 of 41024
Today | Posts: 173
Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
Btw he could go 3 db's hotter and still be at -0.5. He would still be in the negative lol. Is that ok for you?
He already mentioned that... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy1970 View Post
If you like to run a little hot than try adjusting the SPL in the AVR (not subs volume control) to -0.5 . This will set your sub 3db hot and is a common practice. I run mine 3db hot.

cchunter's Avatar cchunter
07:33 PM Liked: 567
post #41022 of 41024
Today | Posts: 1,471
Joined: Feb 2011
For my 3rd response and last response which is the same as my first and second response simply TURN UP THE BASS!!!
Soupy1970's Avatar Soupy1970
07:42 PM Liked: 186
post #41023 of 41024
Today | Posts: 441
Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
The sub volume needs to be turned up if my ears says it needs to be turned up. Again it depends on what the listener desires for bass. Yes the room does make the difference in where you should start your volume at when calibrating. Some people prefer running their subs more than 6db's hot. Btw he could go 3 db's hotter and still be at -0.5. He would still be in the negative lol. Is that ok for you?
You missed my point. You don't adjust gain by the sub volume. -3.5 is a very good spot for Audyssey.

Edit: If you want to run hot, you adjust the AVR.
cchunter's Avatar cchunter
08:07 PM Liked: 567
post #41024 of 41024
Today | Posts: 1,471
Joined: Feb 2011
Turn sub volume up to 2-3 o'clock. Rerun audyssey. Should now be around -8 to -9. Check with SPL meter to see exactly how hot your running. Adjust again per your liking. My sub runs at 81 dbs with test tone.
Tags: belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3