AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Klipsch owner thread

Speakers

Zen Traveler's Avatar Zen Traveler
03:37 PM Liked: 394
post #41041 of 41062
Yesterday | Posts: 4,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
Yeah, I've read the older RF-7s were pretty insanely bright....

Don't believe everything you read on the internet--The original RF-7s had great reviews and folks have owned them for over a decade and still feel they are nothing like you describe above. In fact, I would describe them as extremely crisp and clear and with good material and a couple of subs taking up the lower end downright sublime!
thetman's Avatar thetman
04:27 PM Liked: 11
post #41042 of 41062
Yesterday | Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
Don't believe everything you read on the internet--The original RF-7s had great reviews and folks have owned them for over a decade and still feel they are nothing like you describe above. In fact, I would describe them as extremely crisp and clear and with good material and a couple of subs taking up the lower end downright sublime!
I own them along with RC7- beautiful in cherry. they are not overly bright- infact my RF62II's are brighter for sure. RF7's sound great with music and really shine with movies. Never had a complaint from anyone about brightness. just saying.
Tom Riddle's Avatar Tom Riddle
06:23 PM Liked: 100
post #41043 of 41062
Yesterday | Posts: 630
Anyone purchase their Klipsch speakers - specifically the RF-7 II's - from acousticsounddesign.com? They have a great deal on some B stock units that are NIB, but have the wrong color cherry veneer.
bearir
06:49 PM Liked: 0
post #41044 of 41062
Yesterday | Posts: 11
My speakers from NFM arrived today.2 RF82II's and an RC62II. The boxes certainly looked like they'd been around the block a time or two but they were in reasonable condition. One of the 82's box had a hole in it and both looked like they'd been opened before and re-taped but everything inside looked untouched.
Tasdom's Avatar Tasdom
06:54 PM Liked: 451
post #41045 of 41062
Yesterday | Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
Anyone purchase their Klipsch speakers - specifically the RF-7 II's - from acousticsounddesign.com? They have a great deal on some B stock units that are NIB, but have the wrong color cherry veneer.
I bought mine there a couple of years ago. Mike is a good dude. I was gonna buy cherry "B" stock but he was out and made the same deal for me on "A" stock

The "B" stock are just darker cherry and look really nice.......
Tom Riddle's Avatar Tom Riddle
07:19 PM Liked: 100
post #41046 of 41062
Yesterday | Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasdom View Post
I bought mine there a couple of years ago. Mike is a good dude. I was gonna buy cherry "B" stock but he was out and made the same deal for me on "A" stock

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I really like the darker cherry and its a lot cheaper!
05JGM's Avatar 05JGM
07:23 PM Liked: 8
post #41047 of 41062
Yesterday | Posts: 41
Got my new setup up and running and just watched a movie and I am very happy with it so far.

I have RF-82s and a RC-62, however, I think I am already getting the bug to add a sub. I may not have a setting right in my receiver, but the 82s just don't put out enough bass for me. I am happy otherwise and thanks to everyone for the heads up on the great deals at NFM.
go pack
07:23 PM Liked: 0
post #41048 of 41062
Yesterday | Posts: 3
Klipsch or HTD for a 5.0 system?
Newbie looking for advice. I'm finishing our basement into a combo home theater and family room, approx 14' x 26', but the couch and viewing area are on one side. In a 14' x 15' area of the space. Help me out people: Should i go with Klispch Reference II series in the 52 line - RF -52, RB 52, and RC 52, or Home Theater Direct level 3, 2 towers , 2 bookshelves and a center. These are both in my price range ($1250 vs $1350). Or would bookshelves for fronts be just as good as the towers?

The HTD might have a 6.5" speaker vs the Klipsch 5.5" - but the Klipsch sensitivity is much higher. That's the important thing right? These will mostly be used for TV/Movies/Football. I will be using a Denon 2307CI receiver and a Dayton Audio 10" sub. These are to replace my hodgepodge of Polk S6 fronts, Cerwin Vega center channel and JBL rears. Overall - looking for crisper dialogue.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Brahmzy's Avatar Brahmzy
07:24 PM Liked: 38
post #41049 of 41062
Yesterday | Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasdom View Post

Hey Tasdom, how do you like you XPA-5? I'm thinking of getting either an XPA-3 or 3 Outlaw 2200s for my new LCRs.
How long have you owned the Emotiva amp?
Thanks.
funhouse69's Avatar funhouse69
07:29 PM Liked: 51
post #41050 of 41062
Yesterday | Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05JGM View Post
Got my new setup up and running and just watched a movie and I am very happy with it so far.

I have RF-82s and a RC-62, however, I think I am already getting the bug to add a sub. I may not have a setting right in my receiver, but the 82s just don't put out enough bass for me. I am happy otherwise and thanks to everyone for the heads up on the great deals at NFM.
I feel that the RF-82's are awesome speakers but they are just not enough for movies. Adding a Sub is going to make a huge difference in the movie watching experience. Trust me you will not be disappointed if / when you do.
05JGM's Avatar 05JGM
07:36 PM Liked: 8
post #41051 of 41062
Yesterday | Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I feel that the FR-82's are awesome speakers but they are just not enough for movies. Adding a Sub is going to make a huge difference in the movie watching experience. Trust me you will not be disappointed if / when you do.
Yeah, I don't think they are bad speakers by any means and my expectations may have just been too high. I am starting to look in to subs now, but I am really thinking about going the DIY route and hopefully that will get me with where I want to be.
Tasdom's Avatar Tasdom
07:51 PM Liked: 451
post #41052 of 41062
Yesterday | Posts: 613
Quote:
Hey Tasdom, how do you like you XPA-5? I'm thinking of getting either an XPA-3 or 3 Outlaw 2200s for my new LCRs.
How long have you owned the Emotiva amp?
Thanks.
2 to three years now and have been great. No background noise at all. Some folks have had issues with hum and hiss with Klipsch's high sensitivity tho. Worst case scenario is return within 30 days if you don't like it.
Outlaw makes great products and would be a good choice as well.
Done Deal DR's Avatar Done Deal DR
09:01 PM Liked: 130
post #41053 of 41062
Yesterday | Posts: 755
I installed a Denon S900W I got for my step son today and got it upgraded to the latest firmware without issue over wifi, it mirrored my experience with my X2100. It is powering a pair of Klipsch RB-81 II's and RC-62 center channel, currently with no surrounds or subwoofer. Audyssey set the crossover for the mains at 40 hz, Klipsch's own specs rate them from 44hz +/- 3 db so that may be a little optimistic, but it sounds great. His RB-81 II's were previously powered by an ancient pre-HDMI Sony HTIB receiver, and although it was "rated" at 100w it was so flat, lacked dynamics of any kind and maximum output was very low... which for highly efficient Klipsch speakers is saying something. I had tested the RB-81 II's last year before I gave them to him on my Pioneer SC-61 receiver and they sounded excellent so I knew it was the receiver at fault, and after installing the S900W the dynamics were back and they had great bass, and adding the center channel of course really improved performance for TV, movies and games for him as expected.

RFGuy_KCCO's Avatar RFGuy_KCCO
10:19 PM Liked: 7
post #41054 of 41062
Yesterday | Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I feel that the RF-82's are awesome speakers but they are just not enough for movies. Adding a Sub is going to make a huge difference in the movie watching experience. Trust me you will not be disappointed if / when you do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05JGM View Post
Yeah, I don't think they are bad speakers by any means and my expectations may have just been too high. I am starting to look in to subs now, but I am really thinking about going the DIY route and hopefully that will get me with where I want to be.

Movie soundtracks are mastered with a subwoofer in mind. Home theater really requires a sub because there are few, if any, tower speakers that can reproduce the lowest notes of a movie soundtrack. Much of the "punch" of the soundtrack in a movie comes from the sub (10-80Hz).

If I turn off my sub and set my RF-82 ii's to "Large" in my 4520, movies sound much different than they do with the sub in use - they lack the "punch" that is required for the sound to be immersive and the whole sound is much less engaging. The sub makes the difference.

Bottom line, you really need a sub. It also helps relieve some stress on your amp, since it will no longer need to drive your speakers below 80Hz.
Brahmzy's Avatar Brahmzy
10:56 PM Liked: 38
post #41055 of 41062
Yesterday | Posts: 269
Speaking of subs... Is it me or are Klipsch subs not the most popular?
I'm looking for a 10 inch sub and there are tons of options out there.
Maybe I need to hang out in the subwoofer forums...
retro124's Avatar retro124
12:03 AM Liked: 273
post #41056 of 41062
Today | Posts: 1,277
Quote:
You have nice speakers why you looking for only 10 inch sub? Get 12 or more for sure. It is all about budget but mostly Klipsch subs are boomy and they don't go low as other brands like SVS.
RFGuy_KCCO's Avatar RFGuy_KCCO
12:39 AM Liked: 7
post #41057 of 41062
Today | Posts: 11
Quote:
Klipsch are known for their horns, not for their subs.
funhouse69's Avatar funhouse69
02:52 AM Liked: 51
post #41058 of 41062
Today | Posts: 550
Quote:
I originally bought my setup as a package (but ended up swapping out my mains from Bookshelf to Floors thanks to the NFM Sale and I really like my Klipsch Sub. I've had several others over the years and feel this one does a very good job.

Are there others that are better / cheaper? Probably but I felt it was good to get everything that matched and when I use Audyssey I had to turn it down so much I didn't think it would do anything but (as a lot of others have done) I've bumped it up a few db since.

But as with so much in this world this is so very subjective and personal. I am not disappointed at all and would highly recommend the one I have to anyone that is looking for one to add to their system.
coytee's Avatar coytee
06:09 AM Liked: 149
post #41059 of 41062
Today | Posts: 1,179
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFGuy_KCCO View Post
Klipsch are known for their horns, not for their subs.
I agree with RFGuy. Klipsch isn't really known for their subs. They DO make nice ones however, you have to look in their cinema lineup to see them and they are H.U.G.E.
Mongo171's Avatar Mongo171
07:14 AM Liked: 768
post #41060 of 41062
Today | Posts: 2,068
^^^
Horns aren't honky???
Brahmzy's Avatar Brahmzy
08:40 AM Liked: 38
post #41061 of 41062
Today | Posts: 269
Thanks all for the sub advice. I think an SVS SB-2000 is in my future.
Might not get quite as low/loud as the ported / vented designs, but I'm really after super tight bass after my experiences with my sloppy vented DefTec 15. That thing was a beast and shook the house, but wasn't as tight or "musical" as I'd prefer.
The SB-2000 is in a really small form factor which I need.
Dang this hobby is expensive.
I think I would have been disappointed with a 10" sub for the size of room I have.
retro124's Avatar retro124
08:57 AM Liked: 273
post #41062 of 41062
Today | Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Thanks all for the sub advice. I think an SVS SB-2000 is in my future.
Might not get quite as low/loud as the ported / vented designs, but I'm really after super tight bass after my experiences with my sloppy vented DefTec 15. That thing was a beast and shook the house, but wasn't as tight or "musical" as I'd prefer.
The SB-2000 is in a really small form factor which I need.
Dang this hobby is expensive.
I think I would have been disappointed with a 10" sub for the size of room I have.
If you want to go sealed I will look for your speakers to get SB13-Ultra, you can try SB-2000 but I have feeling it will go back. How about cylinder sub it is not working for you?
Tags: belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread