Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2008, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

Ok will, i just got off the phone with Vans, the guy on the phone was very nice. i asked him about the RVX-42s and the RS4s, and he has no way to lower the price whatsoever and he said the total price of 3 RVX42s BLACK and 2 RSX4s would come up to $720. thats a price i didnt expect coming honestly.

I think i can deal with the Fronts and surround not being the same color, it might actually looks good as silver and black compliment each other.

But will, i have a question, honestly, is there a great deal of better sound with the RVX42's and the RSX4s as Surrounds from the Klipsch Quintet SL or not much?

and one more thing, The RSX4s cost $10 more than the RSX5, so for 2 speakers thats $20. what did you mean when you said that i would get a "seamless blend" with the RSX4?

have you tried - www.soundseller.com - ? and also check J&R music - call for best price -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2008, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 View Post

have you tried - www.soundseller.com - ? and also check J&R music - call for best price -

I just searched on soundseller but they dont have the RSX4 at all, black or silver nor the RSX5 and i couldnt find the RSX4 nor the RSX5 on J&R's website..

Btw bill, i am 100% sure that the speakers look MUCH MUCH better with the grill off lol, i think that applies to most speakers

Anyway, now for the first time, i actually checked the specs of my ONKYO SUBWOOFER that came with my old ONKYO S790 HTIB package and it seems like its a pretty good subwoofer (i thought it wasnt a good one even tho it sounds great to me, people say that the subs that come with HTIB packages are crappy )

But yea, the subwoofer is actually a 10-inch, 230-watt powered subwoofer.

pretty nice, of course a Klipsch sub is better but the Mirage NANOSAT 5 system that i was considering earlier comes with a 100watt sub and i thought it was coming with a good subwoofer lol (i didnt know that my onkyo sub is 230 watt)

Here are the official specs from Onkyo's website:

Frequency Response: 25 Hz-150 Hz
WHD: 275 x 473 x 449 mm
Weight: 11.5 kg

Pretty good right?
Old 09-14-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:

I just searched on soundseller but they dont have the RSX4 at all, black or silver nor the RSX5 and i couldnt find the RSX4 nor the RSX5 on J&R's website..

Btw bill, i am 100% sure that the speakers look MUCH MUCH better with the grill off lol, i think that applies to most speakers

Anyway, now for the first time, i actually checked the specs of my ONKYO SUBWOOFER that came with my old ONKYO S790 HTIB package and it seems like its a pretty good subwoofer (i thought it wasnt a good one even tho it sounds great to me, people say that the subs that come with HTIB packages are crappy )

But yea, the subwoofer is actually a 10-inch, 230-watt powered subwoofer.

pretty nice, of course a Klipsch sub is better but the Mirage NANOSAT 5 system that i was considering earlier comes with a 100watt sub and i thought it was coming with a good subwoofer lol (i didnt know that my onkyo sub is 230 watt)

Here are the official specs from Onkyo's website:

Frequency Response: 25 Hz-150 Hz
WHD: 275 x 473 x 449 mm
Weight: 11.5 kg

Pretty good right?

dosnt hurt to give them a call - never know - they may be able to get them even if the site dosnt show them -
its worth a shot - or take the best price you found and enjoy them
Old 09-14-2008, 04:34 PM

Liked: 14
The only way for you to know how the sub sounds with your new system is hook it up and listen when the speakers arrive. Set your crossovers on your receiver to 100hz and your LFE channel to 100hz. Those speakers(42's & 4's)only dip down to 92 hertz. Your crossover and LFE should be set above the lowest your speakers will go, hence 100hz. Take a listen then to 2 channel music as well as a higheffects movie and make your assessment.

Bill
Old 09-14-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok will, will do that, i will also run the AUDYSSEY Auto Calibration on My onkyo sr606 reciever , if it doesnt set some value correctly ill correct it myself, even tho it gets most settings right.

Btw bill, i heared one thing, Onecall is going to take the Klipsch Quintet SL off sale($599) in a few days. im not making a mistake right?

The overal sound will be much better with the RVX42s and the RSX4s right?
Old 09-14-2008, 04:59 PM

My brain is swelling. It is your decision. I can't keep answering the same questions over again. For the last 24 hours you have been so undecided. I have tried to steer you in what my opinion is a better direction. Pull either trigger. Neither decision is a bad decision. Just make one.

Bill
Old 09-14-2008, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Alright bill, thanks again. im gonna do some more thinking and reading online.

The fact that 1 pair(ONLY 2 speakers) of the RVX42s costs $960 as stated on Klipsch's website VS the $799 price of the Klipsch Quintent SL (which includes ALL 5 speakers)makes me think that the RVX42s are that much better. Im not going to buy any floorstanding speakers so this choice(the RVX42s) indeed looks like the best one.

The only thing that is holding me back is that the the surround speakers will be silver rather than black, i dont think ill have a problem with that. ill be mounting them on the walls

Ill try to contact J&R to ask if they have the RSX4 but i doubt they will.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:26 PM

Hey, I am not trying to be rude. I also try to get a lot of advice from those who know more than me about a certain subject before I make a purchase. I will sometimes research things for weeks and often months before I make a decision. Then I second guess my final decision. It will drive me and those around me crazy. You just want to get your hard earned money's worth.
Good Luck.

Bill
Old 09-14-2008, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

You got it Will, btw sorry if i asked too many questions. im just scared to make a bad choice as i will have no way back.(returning products to VANNS will force me to pay for the shipping and i dont want to get into all that .. )

Im pretty positive im gonna go for the RVX42s and the RSX4s.

Bill, i forgot to ask one question. I am going to use 2 Onkyo bookshelf Rear back speakers for my rear backs to create 7.1. that should be fine right? i always read that people say that the rear back speakers are the least important anyway and any "cheap" speaker will do. Its the Onkyo Rear back speakers that come with Onkyo S790 HTIB.

The specs of these Onkyo REAR BACK speakers are:

Speaker type: Bass Reflex
Driver: 10" Cone
Frequency Response: 65 Hz -35 kHz
Max Power: 110 W
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohm
Old 09-14-2008, 06:06 PM

I would not suggest you use the Onkyo speakers as rear surrounds. Remember the term seamless. Adding the Onkyo's would break that seam. Besides only about +/- 5% of movie soundtracks are recorded in 7.1. Stick with 5.1 for now until you can afford more Klipsch speakers. I have a pair of one year old black RSX-4's for sell for $200.00 shipped. If interested, let me know. I could ship in original boxes. I might sell if I buy a pair of used RS-42's I found on audiogon.com. Where are you located?

Bill
Old 09-14-2008, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 09-14-2008, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Using the Onkyo HTIB speakers will sound different than the Klipsch. Personally I don't think it would be that big of deal if they are serving for Rear Back Speaker duty. As long as your fronts and reasonable surrounds match, it will sound good. Matched speakers will of course sound the best but if you have to save some mulla for now don't sweat it.
Frankly, unless you're watching a bunch of action or sci-fi films you aren't going to be hearing them much anyways.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:32 PM

Liked: 10
Wanted to throw up a picture of my set-up. I have a Panny 42PX80U, Klipsch Synergy Quintet III and a Onkyo TX-LR552 powering it all. I think the RVX-42's are going to look better. Let me know what you guys think.

-Kirk-
LL
Old 09-14-2008, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh god, that setup is awesome man. but hey the RVX42s will defintley look better , oh.. and they will SOUND better too (well im guessing they would sound good as i dont see any place where i can listen to them) but the RVX42s cost $960 A PAIR! you can tell how much better they SHOULD be than the Klipsch Quintet SL/III speaker.. the Quintet SL costs $799 for the whole package(all 5 speakers ... )

Anyway the only reason why i didnt pull the trigger and ordered the 3 RVX42s for my fronts and 2 RSX4s for my surrounds tonight is because im still thinking if the Fronts being Black and the Surrounds(RSX4s) being Silver will give me any problems(esthetic wise).. i doubt it will as im not that kind of a person generally but if it does end up looking bad for whatever reason ill go crazy lol.(i dont want to return it to VANNS and pay the shipping)
Old 09-14-2008, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a question, the ATTACHED speaker stand on the RSX4s can be removed right? because if i mount them on the wall i just want to see the speaker, without the small bookshelf stand attached to it.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:

Oh god, that setup is awesome man. but hey the RVX42s will defintley look better , oh.. and they will SOUND better too (well im guessing they would sound good as i dont see any place where i can listen to them) but the RVX42s cost $960 A PAIR! you can tell how much better they SHOULD be than the Klipsch Quintet SL/III speaker.. the Quintet SL costs $799 for the whole package(all 5 speakers ... )

Anyway the only reason why i didnt pull the trigger and ordered the 3 RVX42s for my fronts and 2 RSX4s for my surrounds tonight is because im still thinking if the Fronts being Black and the Surrounds(RSX4s) being Silver will give me any problems(esthetic wise).. i doubt it will as im not that kind of a person generally but if it does end up looking bad for whatever reason ill go crazy lol.(i dont want to return it to VANNS and pay the shipping)

Yea, I'm going to check out the RVX's at a local store this week. I want to hear these damm things. I think they will look alot better next to my T.V.

-Kirk-
Old 09-15-2008, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

it will undoubtibly look unbeliveable near your TV man,

Btw i wanted to let everyone know that OneCall raised the price back UP to $799 on the Quintet SL so that just doesnt make sense to me and im probably not considering the SL anymore..

For comparison purposes:

This is the frequency response of the RVX42:

92-20kHz

and this is for the RSX4:

92Hz-20kHz

This is the frequency response of the Quintet SL:

LCR: 80Hz-23kHz +/-3dB
Satellite: 120Hz-23kHz

So the RVX42+RSX4s is better in that right?

MY 10 inch 230 watt Onkyo sub has the following frequency response:

30 Hz-150 Hz

its good right? i will upgrade to an even better sub later but not now.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 09-15-2008, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Hello Zen!

Where ya been?! I missed reading your interesting responses on this thread.
What do you think the differences are in regards to Zhera post/inquiry about the differences between the RF35 and the RF82's?

Regards.

Hi idgibson76,

I have no opinion. It's been over 4 years since I last heard the RF-35 and feel going to the RF-82 would be a lateral move after the responses on this thread and their specs on paper. I also think that the Reference line won't be around much longer given the new Klipsch designs and the publics apparent need for thinner speakers.

I tried to listen to the WF line at a local Magnolia and was once again disappointed that no one seemed interested in setting up a proper listening environment. For the life of me, I don't understand why there isn't a salesperson PLANTED in the Magnolia Sound rooms with all of the proper speakers connected and various AVR/Speaker combinations level matched and ready to go.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:39 PM

i just got word from Klipsch about a replacement driver
and the price isnt as bad as i first though -

they gave me a price of $48 plus shipping - thats not bad -
i just checked my email and found there response -

i will order one tomorrow - even though its hard to notice at most angles - i will change it out anyway because my eyes see it all the time knowing where to look -

i was told to just remove the front plate and driver - - and make sure to connect the wires to the right position on the new speaker - not to cross them by accident -
so i have to keep a eye out and mark it - they didnt mention the fact that the tweeter stays connected to the front plate - i hope with any luck - mines isnt - would make it easier for me -
Old 09-15-2008, 05:41 PM

I think my RSX-4's look great with the stands. I don't think they are meant to mount without them unless you have floorstands.

Bill
Old 09-15-2008, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman6662 View Post

He was using a Denon amp & Pre Amp . not sure ,which one, but thething i did'nt like on the rb 81 was the front port's , the bass was boomy , not tight as the rear ports on the 51's . this is just me , don't get me wrong the 81's sound good but not my taste , my self i just upgraded to the RF-82's they sound sweet..lol.

Fwiw, having the port on the front allows for flush with the wall positioning and I can't help but think something wasn't set up properly if the bass sounded boomy on the RB-81s ESPESIALLY with Denon Separates.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willland View Post

I think my RSX-4's look great with the stands. I don't think they are meant to mount without them unless you have floorstands.

Bill

Well im planing to "Mount" the speakers on the wall using the KEYHOLE on the back of the speakers, i have a screw driled into the wall and ill just hang the speaker on that screw. i called VANNS and i asked him if the stand can be removed and he said that yes and thats its easy to do.

From my extended research, like i said the price on the Klipsch Quintet SL rose up to $799 so i marked that system out of my list. not that its expensive (well also.. ) but because from posts i read, people seem to be "Returning" their systems back to best buy within their 30 day return time. im not sure why as i dont find any explanations why people dont like them... maybe there is a reason that is not appearant at Bestbuy.

But yea im confident i wont be going wrong with 3 Black RVX42s as my fronts and 2 RSX4s as my Surrounds. Btw im considering getting 2 MORE RSX4s to achieve 7.1 That would be a seamless blend of surround right?

i talked to guys from Klipsch on the phone today(with 4 representetives(i called a few times to get the idea of what they think)) and i also called Vanns and they all say that for $720 shipped im getting the best of the best just like Bill said.

he said the only kind of speaker which will be a step up for the fronts would be TOWER speakers but i dont want these because its too big for my apartment and it might make noise to to neighboors and these wil cost me an Overall of over $720 for sure.

I gave a look to some polks today also, nothing impressive even tho i heared polks at the store and was not impressed , i was very impressed with the klipsch tho..

Bill i have a question for you. I am asking because you are the only one i know that heared both the Quintet SL and the RVX42s+RSX4s. what is different Soundwise between the 2 systems? i mean , is one more Brighter than the other or what? im not asking because im changing my mind or anything, its final for me as im not getting the SL for sure i just want to know whats the difference sound quality wise between the SL and the RVX42s if you can explain shortly

Thanks
Old 09-15-2008, 07:41 PM

The RVX-42's have keyholes. Only the stands for the RSX-4's have keyholes.

Bill
Old 09-15-2008, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willland View Post

The RVX-42's have keyholes. Only the stands for the RSX-4's have keyholes.

Bill

Oh i see, so ill hang the RSX4s with the keyhole on the stand..

Bill, can you tell me whats the difference SQ wise between the RVX42s+RSX4s vs the Quintet SL? i mean like whats , the sound is brighter in one more than the other or what? if you can explain it would be great since ur the only one who heared both
Old 09-15-2008, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyway, bill im almost ready to order 3 RVX42s and 2 RSX4s but i have a question, i want to have a 7.1 system, so ill need to buy 2 more speakers ,what would be the best choice ,2 more RSX4s right to have a seamless blend?
Old 09-16-2008, 03:18 AM

Yes, two more 4's is your best bet. Again, I have never made an A-B comparison between both systems. To me it is just a better sound with the 42's.

Bill
Old 09-16-2008, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok. im going to work now, hopefully when i get home il order the RVX42s and the RSX4s.

I should have a really nice sound system right Bill?

One question that i have is, like i said i will be playing the FRONT left and right speakers on stands, the center will be on the TV's stand horzontally obviously but the left and right will be vertically,now the base of the speaker stand that i have is flat. i see that the legs of the RVX42s speaker stand has like 4 rounded legs, say that surface is bigger than my Speaker Stand's surface, is there a way to remove these Rounded legs of the RVX42's stand? cuz then it would be all fine as both surfaces will be flat.

Oh and another negative with the Quintet purchase would be that its not possible to purchase additional Quintet satelites to achieve a 7.1 setup with seamless blend right as the REAR Back speakers wont be the same as the Quintet surround speakers?
Old 09-16-2008, 11:45 AM

Now I'm really curious on how the 42's will sound to some of you...

I fear going from a KG 4.5 as my mains to either 4 or 42's will be a culture shock. Even though the KG's are old, they are great full range floor speakers. The 42's seem quite narrow in range..

I'm still going to give them a listen though. Space is really a determiing factor now.. In my old house we had a huge open great room and loft, and the old KGs filled it very well.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Pair of RF-82's - $750
RC-62 - $340
shipping - $80

Decent deal?

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black