Klipsch owner thread - Page 1398 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #41911 of 41917 Old Today, 04:03 PM
Senior Member
 
highdefav1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ATL
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkleafar View Post
This is my room size and speaker configuration. The back surrounds are mounted high above on the wall, the surround sides are on stands (but the new klipsch would be mounted on the wall) and the fronts of course are towers. Is replacing the surround backs worth it at all? Considering most movies are mixed in 5.1..surround backs are the only ones im.not sure I should buy.
Now with this room configuration, what do you guys think would be best for surrounding sides? Rs41 or rs42? And regarding the center channel, if I were to get a higher center like an rc62, wouldn't it overpower my rf42s?
Based on that drawing, I would hate to put up crown moulding in that room...

I would go with the RS42II's for its wide dispersion technology and keep the backs to complete a 7.1. You have a couch on the left side, so with the RS42II's, they will sound better (IMO) to the person who is sitting there.

If you get a larger CC, does your Onkyo have audio calibration technology? If so, it will compensate when it does it's thing.

But if you get a larger CC, then you might as well get larger RFII's. Then you'll need larger RSII's. And probably larger rears.

Panasonic 55ST50
Yamaha RX-V673
Klipsch RF-52 II // RC-52 II // RS-42 II
Klipsch RW-12d
Klipsch KG 2.5
highdefav1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #41912 of 41917 Old Today, 04:11 PM
Senior Member
 
darkleafar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefav1 View Post
Based on that drawing, I would hate to put up crown moulding in that room...[emoji14]

I would go with the RS42II's for its wide dispersion technology and keep the backs to complete a 7.1. You have a couch on the left side, so with the RS42II's, they will sound better (IMO) to the person who is sitting there.

If you get a larger CC, does your Onkyo have audio calibration technology? If so, it will compensate when it does it's thing.

But if you get a larger CC, then you might as well get larger RFII's. Then you'll need larger RSII's. And probably larger rears.
Lol by the time I do that the wife will throw me to the dog house, lol. This all started because I went by frys and I saw the last two rf 42 iis being sold for 100 a piece, after doing 30 minutes of research on my phone (without leaving the speakers sides, afraid someone would beat me to it, lol) I decided I couldn't pass the deal up seeing how everybody else was selling them for 239 a piece. Then I said, might as well get a sub. Now here I am, with "might as well get surrounds and center" in my head, lol. I think I will stick with the rc42 for center, and get the rs42 for surrounds. And if I understood your recommendation, you are saying there is no point in upgrading the surround backs, correct?

Also, acoustic sound design is willing to sell me each rs42 for 199 and the rc42 for 199 also, does that sound good?

Edit: yes my onkyo has Audyssey multi eq XT

Last edited by darkleafar; Today at 04:21 PM.
darkleafar is online now  
post #41913 of 41917 Unread Today, 04:32 PM
Senior Member
 
highdefav1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ATL
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkleafar View Post
Lol by the time I do that the wife will throw me to the dog house, lol. This all started because I went by frys and I saw the last two rf 42 iis being sold for 100 a piece, after doing 30 minutes of research on my phone (without leaving the speakers sides, afraid someone would beat me to it, lol) I decided I couldn't pass the deal up seeing how everybody else was selling them for 239 a piece. Then I said, might as well get a sub. Now here I am, with "might as well get surrounds and center" in my head, lol. I think I will stick with the rc42 for center, and get the rs42 for surrounds. And if I understood your recommendation, you are saying there is no point in upgrading the surround backs, correct?

Also, acoustic sound design is willing to sell me each rs42 for 199 and the rc42 for 199 also, does that sound good?
I would get your RC42II and RS42II's, set it up and see how it sounds. You might be happy with the backs and your new setup. If not, then pickup some RB's.

Those are pretty decent (today) prices. Don't forget the Reference Premiers are here and retailers are going to be liquidating their RFII stock. But sometimes you just have to jump in with both feet!!

There are those that say with Klipsch, bigger is better, the bigger you go, the better it sounds and while I don't doubt that and I agree, sometimes you have to get what's best for you and your environment and your wallet and most of all your wife!

I spent many nights thinking about going bigger and while I could have went RF82II and even RF7II, I decided in the end I was happy with my RF52II's, they produce a great sound and are plenty loud for my space. Maybe sometime down the road, I'll go with some Heresy's or Cornwall's or the successor to the RF7II.

Edit: If you decide you want to go bigger, 52, 62, 82, you could always move the RF42II's to the rear speaker duty, but then you would be spending a lot more money...not sure what your budget is/was.

Or go cutting edge and dive into some Reference Premiers and use the RF42II's for the bedroom or an office, etc.

Aren't you glad you came here?

Panasonic 55ST50
Yamaha RX-V673
Klipsch RF-52 II // RC-52 II // RS-42 II
Klipsch RW-12d
Klipsch KG 2.5

Last edited by highdefav1; Today at 04:38 PM. Reason: add info
highdefav1 is offline  
post #41914 of 41917 Unread Today, 04:51 PM
Senior Member
 
darkleafar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefav1 View Post
I would get your RC42II and RS42II's, set it up and see how it sounds. You might be happy with the backs and your new setup. If not, then pickup some RB's.

Those are pretty decent (today) prices. Don't forget the Reference Premiers are here and retailers are going to be liquidating their RFII stock. But sometimes you just have to jump in with both feet!!

There are those that say with Klipsch, bigger is better, the bigger you go, the better it sounds and while I don't doubt that and I agree, sometimes you have to get what's best for you and your environment and your wallet and most of all your wife!

I spent many nights thinking about going bigger and while I could have went RF82II and even RF7II, I decided in the end I was happy with my RF52II's, they produce a great sound and are plenty loud for my space. Maybe sometime down the road, I'll go with some Heresy's or Cornwall's or the successor to the RF7II.

Edit: If you decide you want to go bigger, 52, 62, 82, you could always move the RF42II's to the rear speaker duty, but then you would be spending a lot more money...not sure what your budget is/was.

Or go cutting edge and dive into some Reference Premiers and use the RF42II's for the bedroom or an office, etc.

Aren't you glad you came here?
Lol, just like you did, I'm happy with the sound coming out of my rf42iis. I have another question for you. The rf42iis I bought were the display model, and just now I noticed some mostly superfluous dings on the metal part of the cone. Will this make an audible keep difference? Should I be worried ?
Edit: I just ran them full blast with my receiver set to stereo and the sub off, so that I only hear the rf42s. I hear nothing wrong :/

Last edited by darkleafar; Today at 04:55 PM.
darkleafar is online now  
post #41915 of 41917 Unread Today, 04:58 PM
Member
 
james9120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coytee View Post
Could you instead, set your system on the side or rear wall?


Here at my house, I have all the electronics (other than the tv) buried in the back wall and bunches of wires going from the back wall to the front wall.


When I was staying in the little apartment in Florida, I had everything sitting on a table to the left with speakers/tv in front.


In my opinion, there is one hard rule in the world of Klipsch. The bigger you go, the better. So, if you decide you want "X" speaker and they're not going to fit..... I'd find a way to make them fit!
This the layout, everything measured and the speakers to the side of the entertainment system are 1x1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1422662281195.png
Views:	15
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	513553  
james9120 is offline  
post #41916 of 41917 Unread Today, 06:59 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
I posted it in the Reference Premiere thread, but I figured I might as well post it here too...

Yesterday, we put up an article on the Klipsch blog that goes through the differences between Reference Premiere and Reference II, point by point: http://www.klipsch.com/blog/klipsch-...e-ii-speakers/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfan9 View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum here and fairly new to the audio game in general (though I've done a lot of research lately). I was wondering what the key differences between the r28f, the rp280f, and the rf82 ii are, and why/how those differences matter. I see they've got the same size tweeters and woofers, same power handling, and same sensitivity. I also see the rf82 has a lower crossover, the rp280 has the largest range, and the r28 uses aluminum instead of titanium for the tweeter. I assume there are also differences in the horns, such as size and design.

So what would these differences amount to in reality, and what in the engineering of the speaker accounts for the differences? Why does the rp280 get deeper than the other two? How do the tweeter material and horn shape/size affect the sound? How does the placement of the ports on the front vs back affect sound? Why does the rf82 have a lower crossover and what difference does that make to the sound? And are the woofers different between the models? I see people say the rf82s are superior to the r28s--what makes them superior?

Thanks for any and all help!
The R28s are replacement for the Best Buy only Icon (I think) line. They are pretty much the same as what they replaced other than the color of the woofers and I've read the vinyl wrap is nicer. Some really like them for the price, especially when on sale.

The RF82IIs are now discontinued and replaced by the new RP280. The Refernce II line was the top Klipsch (non Heritage/Palladium) line. The Reference II speakers up through the RF82 have been replaced by the new Reference Premium line.

If we are to believe the Klipsch press materials they should be a better speaker than what they replaced, at least in some ways.

That said, with the current prices on the Reference II line, that would by my choice. If you like the Klipsch signature sound.
Thanks guys, this helps! Can I ask more specifically, in sound, what differentiates the budget line reference (former icon) from the r2s and rps?
dkfan9 is online now  
post #41917 of 41917 Unread Today, 07:04 PM
Member
 
mpirnat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Upstate Ohio
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkleafar View Post
Lol by the time I do that the wife will throw me to the dog house, lol. This all started because I went by frys and I saw the last two rf 42 iis being sold for 100 a piece, after doing 30 minutes of research on my phone (without leaving the speakers sides, afraid someone would beat me to it, lol) I decided I couldn't pass the deal up seeing how everybody else was selling them for 239 a piece. Then I said, might as well get a sub. Now here I am, with "might as well get surrounds and center" in my head, lol. I think I will stick with the rc42 for center, and get the rs42 for surrounds. And if I understood your recommendation, you are saying there is no point in upgrading the surround backs, correct?

Also, acoustic sound design is willing to sell me each rs42 for 199 and the rc42 for 199 also, does that sound good?

Edit: yes my onkyo has Audyssey multi eq XT
That's a pretty good price on the RS42s; I got mine full price because I didn't know better. The price on the RC42 is reasonable; it's probably worth it to just get it done.

I ran the RC-42ii and RB-41iis with the RS-42iis for about 18 months and really liked how everything sounded. Such a huge difference over the HTIAB stuff I'd been using.

If you're digging the RF-42s, I think you'll like how the RS42s perform for you. I only upgraded because I hung around here too much, and the clearance sales have been too tempting. ;-).

Hopefully by the time the upgrade bug strikes you, there should be some real-world information on the new line(s).
mpirnat is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off