Klipsch owner thread - Page 145 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4321 of 37417 Old 09-25-2008, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
it was BBY, I'm actually getting a very good deal on them. Being new to the arena of home audio I thought this system would be a nice entry level set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 37417 Old 09-25-2008, 03:35 AM

so nobody has experience with either the rb-35 or rb-62 system? how they compare and contrast beside driver size?

technically, it would be an easier transition for me to go from my floorstanders to the rb-35 setup because of its superior frequency response compared to other bookshelf systems right?
post #4323 of 37417 Old 09-25-2008, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Sorry anyone with questions, I can't be any help since Klipsch are new for me as well.

I do have a question myself though - when I upgrade my receiver and get more power to the speakers, will they sound different at the same volume levels I'm listening to them at now? Also, is there any tweaking I should do with the receiver's equalizer settings?

Also, the little crackling I heard the first day with my new 63's has completely gone away. Maybe there was some static in the speakers at first? I have no idea what could have caused it, maybe I was just getting a bad cable feed at the time.
post #4324 of 37417 Old 09-25-2008, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Sorry anyone with questions, I can't be any help since Klipsch are new for me as well.

I do have a question myself though - when I upgrade my receiver and get more power to the speakers, will they sound different at the same volume levels I'm listening to them at now?

It's about Headroom. With more power you should be able to lower the volume on the dial and have the same SPL. This gives your AVR more room, at a louder volume to reproduce a better range from the highs to the lows (10 dB or so).

Fwiw, this is where setting the crossover becomes important because weaker AVRs have more of a problem trying to get enough power to your speakers to hit those low notes and they are better directed to a powered sub. Otoh, sufficient power allows a lower crossover and with quality speakers it has more of a seamless effect on multichannel material.
post #4325 of 37417 Old 09-25-2008, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKfromLA View Post

so nobody has experience with either the rb-35 or rb-62 system? how they compare and contrast beside driver size?

If you are going to have a decent sub, my thoughts would be that the RB-61 would be slightly cleaner given the newer technology, but wouldn't hit as low. That being said, I would guess there is not much difference in them if they were level matched.

Fwiw, anyone lucky enough to find a pair of Klipsch RB-75s should consider picking those up because they are a step above the RB-35 and the RB-81 (which replaced the RB-35).
post #4326 of 37417 Old 09-25-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

If you are going to have a decent sub, my thoughts would be that the RB-61 would be slightly cleaner given the newer technology, but wouldn't hit as low. That being said, I would guess there is not much difference in them if they were level matched.

Fwiw, anyone lucky enough to find a pair of Klipsch RB-75s should consider picking those up because they are a step above the RB-35 and the RB-81 (which replaced the RB-35).

yes i would definitely have a sub... my only thing is that I am downsizing from floorstanding speakers... i was going to go with the lcr's that I can mount on the wall, but i decided against those so now I am looking at bookshelf systems...

so if I have a sub, the rb61 would be pretty similar to the rb 35 set? I would also be comparing the rc35 and the center that comes with the rb61 set...
post #4327 of 37417 Old 09-25-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKfromLA View Post

yes i would definitely have a sub... my only thing is that I am downsizing from floorstanding speakers...

...so if I have a sub, the rb61 would be pretty similar to the rb 35 set? I would also be comparing the rc35 and the center that comes with the rb61 set...

I hope you get a second opinion from someone that has more experience than I with these speakers. ;-)

Fwiw, the direct comparison would be the RB-35 to the RB-81 and the RC-62 is the center channel that goes with those speakers. If you are used to tower speakers I would think that the larger woofer would be beneficial to what you expect and can't add further comment to what I said in the post above. Good Luck.
post #4328 of 37417 Old 09-25-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

I do have a question myself though - when I upgrade my receiver and get more power to the speakers, will they sound different at the same volume levels I'm listening to them at now? Also, is there any tweaking I should do with the receiver's equalizer settings?

Also, the little crackling I heard the first day with my new 63's has completely gone away. Maybe there was some static in the speakers at first? I have no idea what could have caused it, maybe I was just getting a bad cable feed at the time.

I agree with Zen, the stronger receiver will go louder. But normally during calibration you'll level match the speaker volume so the 0 setting will be the same loudness on both new and old AVR. So after calibration both old and new AVR should be the same volume for a given setting. The difference is in the headroom. Transients will be better with a more powerful amp, the bass should be tighter, and the bass should be heard even at lower volumes. The auto-calibration should also take care of your equilization.

Besides that, sometimes AVR's have a different sound especially between brands. But I'm not sure how noticable this will be.

Glad to hear your crackling sound is gone. Things like this don't usually just go away. It may be a loose connection or something. You should try and wiggle cables, especially at the connection points. Then try bumping the speakers. If it is the speaker, it should get taken care of while under warranty.

Steve
post #4329 of 37417 Old 09-25-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:

I hope you get a second opinion from someone that has more experience than I with these speakers. ;-)

Fwiw, the direct comparison would be the RB-35 to the RB-81 and the RC-62 is the center channel that goes with those speakers. If you are used to tower speakers I would think that the larger woofer would be beneficial to what you expect and can't add further comment to what I said in the post above. Good Luck.

i guess my main concern is that since the rb-61 set is a current model, does it have updated technology compared to the rb-35 set... does it incorporate a more advanced tweeter or woofer? i can get the two sets pretty much for the same price... thats why I am comparing those two.
post #4330 of 37417 Old 09-25-2008, 05:50 PM

Liked: 14
[QUOTE
Fwiw, anyone lucky enough to find a pair of Klipsch RB-75s should consider picking those up because they are a step above the RB-35 and the RB-81 (which replaced the RB-35).[/quote]

Speaking of the RB-75's, look at this:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls..../Klipsch-RB75-

Bill
post #4331 of 37417 Old 09-26-2008, 10:45 AM

I finally decided to upgrade to HD so I picked up a Samsung A650 LCD, an Onkyo SR606 Receiver, PS3 for Blue-Ray and switched to FIOS. I currently have a pair of Klipsch KLF-20s in front and since I don't want to spend anymore $$$ I'm going to bring in a pair of Klipsch CF-3s that are collecting dust in the garage and put them in the mix.

While I'm leaning towards the CF-3s in the front I'm curious if anyone thought different. I know I could play around with them but the fronts are going to end up being buried behind the stand and it was hard enough "getting permission" to bring the monster CF-3s and subs in the house so I'd like to get it right the first time and avoid spouse agro.
post #4332 of 37417 Old 09-26-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome to the forum GatorUSMC.

It depends on what you have as a Center channel. If you have the KLF-C7 up front, I would stick with the KLF-20s to have a seamless front soundstage.
post #4333 of 37417 Old 09-26-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKntSDS View Post

I heard several Klipsch setups yesterday and was simply amazed at the THX Ultra2 system, both for music and movies. I knew going in that the HT performance was going to be great, but was also impressed by the music performance.

Anyway, now that this system is a serious contender for my dollar, I have a few questions on the best way to purchase them. The local dealer gave me a price below MSRP. There are also several internet sites with MSRP-ish prices. There are also a few internet sites that are deeply discounted (well below my local dealer) but none of these have any information on their sites about return policies or warranties. I'd image these are not available from these sites.

I'm also worried that my particular HT room will just not jive so well with these speakers (or any specific speakers actually). The room is far from acoustically perfect and will mostly likely need some treatments.

How important is a warranty?

Have any owners had successful purchases from these super discounted internet sellers?

I purchased my 7.2 THX Ultra2 speaker system from the local dealer for a few reasons.

1) They're heavy as heck and I didn't want to chance them being damaged is shipping.
2) If I have any issue with the speakers, I can just contact the local dealer.
3) When I purchased the setup 3 years ago, they were on back order so I didn't have to worry about paying my hard earned $$$ and never receiving the speakers.
4) After the demo at the local dealer, it was only fair to give him my business.
5) I felt the price I paid was very fair!
6) To make a short story long the dual subs blew me away the 1st time I heard them!

-Paxtrix
post #4334 of 37417 Old 09-26-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Welcome to the forum GatorUSMC.

It depends on what you have as a Center channel. If you have the KLF-C7 up front, I would stick with the KLF-20s to have a seamless front soundstage.

Thanks.

I have a KV-3 in the center spot atm, although I do have a KG2.5 I could drop in its place. The C7 looks pretty nice, I wouldn't mind picking one up somewhere done the road.
post #4335 of 37417 Old 09-26-2008, 04:48 PM

Just got my system all set up. I have the Quintet sl's and the Klipsch 12 in sub. Can anyone here help me out with the crossover setting on the Sub as to where it should be . It says it allows you to blend the subs output with that of your main speakers.

I saw somewhere that the main speakers on the sl's cutoff is 80 Hz, so should I set it to 80.

Also I have the Onkyo 606 and it has a LFE setting on there to set to either 80-100- or 120hz. What should that be on? I think these things sound pretty damn good for there size.

Thanks for the help
Some pics of the setup.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...Picture003.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...Picture008.jpg
post #4336 of 37417 Old 09-26-2008, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Turn the crossover knob on the sub up to 120, gain 1/3rd up, or whatever you like if you don't have an SPL meter. Tell your receiver the speakers are small and probably would be best to crossover in your receiver around 100-150.
They are good speakers but they simply do not have the range to properly reproduce much in the lower regions, let the sub do that.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #4337 of 37417 Old 09-26-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott74 View Post

Just got my system all set up. I have the Quintet sl's and the Klipsch 12 in sub. Can anyone here help me out with the crossover setting on the Sub as to where it should be . It says it allows you to blend the subs output with that of your main speakers.

I saw somewhere that the main speakers on the sl's cutoff is 80 Hz, so should I set it to 80.

Also I have the Onkyo 606 and it has a LFE setting on there to set to either 80-100- or 120hz. What should that be on? I think these things sound pretty damn good for there size.

Thanks for the help
Some pics of the setup.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...Picture003.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...Picture008.jpg

nice clean install!
post #4338 of 37417 Old 09-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 View Post

i agree that the RF83 are different from the rest of the Klipsch line below - they can handle and need more juice if you want to make them really shine - they will sound great with lower end amps - but will really open up with a good amp - if you ask me -a good pro audio amp will make those breath fire

That sound familiar...

John

post #4339 of 37417 Old 09-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

I installed some RS-62's on the side walls the other day. I haven't had time to do any A/B comparisons with the RF-63's already on the floor. Will have the ability to have monopole/bipole side surround selection.

Mains: RF-83
Center: RC-64
Sides: A/RF-63 B/RS-62
Rears: RS-62

Subwoofers: Duel Conquests, Duel HSU MBM-12's, HSU ULS-15 DuelDrive System, Duel Original Buttkickers.

John
post #4340 of 37417 Old 09-26-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtrix View Post

I purchased my 7.2 THX Ultra2 speaker system from the local dealer for a few reasons.

1) They're heavy as heck and I didn't want to chance them being damaged is shipping.
2) If I have any issue with the speakers, I can just contact the local dealer.
3) When I purchased the setup 3 years ago, they were on back order so I didn't have to worry about paying my hard earned $$$ and never receiving the speakers.
4) After the demo at the local dealer, it was only fair to give him my business.
5) I felt the price I paid was very fair!
6) To make a short story long the dual subs blew me away the 1st time I heard them!

-Paxtrix

Try it with 4 subs. They will change the rhythm of your heart.

post #4341 of 37417 Old 09-26-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post

That sound familiar...

John

you got me - i wish i had room for those - i had to settle for the RF82's - which are great and impressed me alot -
soon i will be pushing them with a new amp - pro audio amp - will add it this weekend - i want to wake them up - i post back when done -
post #4342 of 37417 Old 09-26-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdoverclocker View Post

Try it with 4 subs. They will change the rhythm of your heart.

Help me find the space for them and I'm in!!! I've been wanting 2 more subs for a total of 4 but where would they go?

My Klipsch THX Ultra2's...
http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...ppuser=7831090

-Paxtrix
post #4343 of 37417 Old 09-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

you got me - i wish i had room for those - i had to settle for the RF82's - which are great and impressed me alot -
soon i will be pushing them with a new amp - pro audio amp - will add it this weekend - i want to wake them up - i post back when done -

expresso712,

Nice! What pro amp are you going to be driving them with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtrix View Post

Help me find the space for them and I'm in!!! I've been wanting 2 more subs for a total of 4 but where would they go?

My Klipsch THX Ultra2's...
http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...ppuser=7831090

-Paxtrix

paxtrix,

You have a nice HT room. I like your choice of front L/R speaker pedestals. I was planning on building a closet for my componets. How was yours fabricated? Do you have adjustable shelves? You wouldn't have any more pictures? Do you have access from the rear or is it pull out? Excuse all the questions.

As far as room for another pair of subwoofers... Have you considered about stacking a pair in each corner?

John
post #4344 of 37417 Old 09-26-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:

As far as room for another pair of subwoofers... Have you considered about stacking a pair in each corner?

John

That would be my idea. I have mine side by side. I have my setup in an extra bedroom until I have time to start building my theater. The bedroom is ~13' wide and one wall is full of speakers. Its quite insaine when those things hit. It feels like there is a fan on in front of you.

post #4345 of 37417 Old 09-27-2008, 07:01 AM

[quote=John H;14748626]expresso712,

i got a QSC GX5 amp - i am going to hook it up later today - tomorrow at latest - i had pro audio amps before and had no issues at all - yes they have a fan - but they run slow - till you push the volume up high - then they spin fast but at that point - its so loud - you dont hear it anyway - once volume goes down - it slow down again after 30 secs or so - i post back once i got it running -
does anyone else here use a pro audio amp ?
post #4346 of 37417 Old 09-27-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:

does anyone else here use a pro audio amp ?

I tried to use a few Crown amps a while back. The fans in those arnt quiet. They need to be kept in a seprate room, at least the ones I tried.

post #4347 of 37417 Old 09-27-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdoverclocker View Post

I tried to use a few Crown amps a while back. The fans in those arnt quiet. They need to be kept in a seprate room, at least the ones I tried.

i heard from others the same thing - it wont be in another room so i am hoping for the best -
post #4348 of 37417 Old 09-27-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:

expresso712,

paxtrix,

You have a nice HT room. I like your choice of front L/R speaker pedestals. I was planning on building a closet for my componets. How was yours fabricated? Do you have adjustable shelves? You wouldn't have any more pictures? Do you have access from the rear or is it pull out? Excuse all the questions.

John

John,

Thanks for the look and thumbs up! My small closet equipment cabinet was actually a corner in my room that I used to square off the room. (Plz see b/4 & after pics in previous post or http://gallery.avsforum.com/showphot...ppuser/7831090 ) It was deep enough so that I could have an entry door added so that I could have complete rear access to all equipment. The shelves are adjustable and I added a return vent to help keep the equipment running cool. I used real glass on the front doors and when they're closed you can't hear any of the equipment running. Not even my HTPC! I've been lazy about my cable management in the rear of the equipment but I have tied a few cables that are running on the same path. I'll check my pics to see if I have any of the cabinet b/4 the equipment was installed.

-Paxtrix
post #4349 of 37417 Old 09-27-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:

i agree that the RF83 are different from the rest of the Klipsch line below - they can handle and need more juice if you want to make them really shine - they will sound great with lower end amps - but will really open up with a good amp - if you ask me -a good pro audio amp will make those breath fire

Hey man , I know you went with a pro Amp that scool , I use to use a custom for Band & dj'ing ,,But I was also looking at a few other options about adding more power, I use to have the Marantz MA-500 Mono blocks on my old system they were 125 watts. each. but really shined I had 5 Klipsch KG 2.5 for home theater and they would crank also a pair of Klipsch KG5.5 for music , ran a KSW-15 in sub with both , Any wasy My buddy at work still has two (2) Marantz MA-700 mono blocks new still in the box , if i recall they were like 170 watts each , thought about adding them on the front channels for L&R for Music only . LOL ,,But also looked on ebay and almost bought the Marantz MM-9000 this was a 5 channel Amp I think it was like 150 watts a channel ,, Just playing with the ideas.. No hurry ,,LOL

But hey I finally got my Marantz BD-8002 Blu-ray player yesterday ..Man what a machine, it's a Monster , so much to it , spent allnight reading about it , I have a cd playing right now , the Audio is awsome . Some things happen at work & the ecom. sucks so money was tight , so I traded for it , the guy really did me a awsome deal, which he did'nt have to , I traded 75 bluray movies and my Sony BDP-s350 & my old Marantz DVD-810 for it , I feel okay about the trade , but it was hard letting 75 Blu-ray movies go , But i figured I can replace them easier at $20.00 each here & there and build my collection back up , alot easier than payinig $2,000.00 cash ,right , overall I very happy with the palyer , got to play with it some more , All i do know is the cd paly back with the Klipsch RF-82's is awsome. I put getting a standalone SACD player on hold , for awhile.LOL ,, anyway enough .. Let me how your doing and how the RS-52 or 62 turned out for you can't remeber which one you got lol..have a good one sandman
post #4350 of 37417 Old 09-27-2008, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman6662 View Post

some things happen at work & the ecom. Sucks so money was tight , so i traded for it , the guy really did me a awsome deal, which he did'nt have to , i traded 75 bluray movies and my sony bdp-s350 & my old marantz dvd-810 for it , i feel okay about the trade , but it was hard letting 75 blu-ray movies go , but i figured i can replace them easier at $20.00 each here & there and build my collection back up , alot easier than payinig $2,000.00 cash

wow...

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Audio , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page