Klipsch owner thread - Page 1555 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5382Likes

post #46621 of 49732 Old 09-16-2015, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post
I noticed your Avator pic...... Washington Redskin fan??? If so "How Bout Them Cowboys" the other night
I'm guessing he's an FSU grad -- nothing to do with the 'Skins...
Louis Bartay likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #46622 of 49732 Old 09-16-2015, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfan9 View Post
So what brands provide speakers with true 8 ohm ratings and better or comparable sensitivity? Since we're talking about most companies, I'd expect quite a few to meet this criteria. Just checked the B&W CM series centers, which dip down to 4.3 and 3 ohms according to their website, while the Pioneer Elite and AJ budget speakers are 4 and 6 ohm rated, respectively. And all of these speakers have sensitivities in the 80s at 2.83v according to the manufacturer. Just a quick check on a couple big name companies. So, I would welcome many counter examples to show how other companies' speakers tend to match Klipsch sensitivity on average.
I have a pair of Khorns, so I am not your anti Klipsch guy. I am just saying a 4ohm speaker should not be called 8ohm...I agree Klipsch still is slightly more sensitive then other brands but not to the degree they advertise. The speakers should be rated 95db @ 2.83v/ 1m @ 4ohms.

Fwiw I have used Boston, Advent, Polk, Klipsch, Paradigm, and Bose bookshelf speakers for my TouchTunes Juke Boxes and the Klipsch speakers do not play notcieably louder with the same power as the other speakers. I spent a afternoon a few year back comparing 6 different sets of speakers with the same amp using a SPL meter. Sure it's not the comparison Tux did, but a speaker with 8-10db higher sensitivity rating would be easily noticed and it was not. The Klipsch speaker I compared to the others was the Reference 8" book shelf.

Point being, I have been around the block, used many different brands of speakers in home and commercial enviroments, and I knew from day 1 the Klipsch speaker is not as sensitive as claimed except for the heritage and older models. Still fantastic speakers, just do not understand why they inflate the numbers. Paul Klipsch would of never let that fly.
I definitely agree, I'd like to see them rated more honestly. I'm curious as to how they get the sensitivity numbers. The impedance rating is unfortunate but 8 ohm compatible is a very common impedance rating given, not just by klipsch, no matter the real impedance. I agree though, I would very much welcome more accurate specs by klipsch and others
post #46623 of 49732 Old 09-16-2015, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Having been on this thread since its inception think it's semi-humorous in a sad kinda way that some don't appreciate the scientific discussions...
post #46624 of 49732 Old 09-17-2015, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 9
about a year ago I purchased a pair of rb-61 ii's, with the plan of adding a center down the road, and then possibly rear surrounds. The center I was going to get was the rc-51 ii, which as I understood it was the best match for the rb-61s. It looks like the rc-51 is getting hard to find since the new models have come out, is there an equivalent in the new models that will match up pretty good with my existing speakers?

Yamaha rx-v675
Klipsch rb61 ii's (L/R)
SVS PB-2000
post #46625 of 49732 Old 09-17-2015, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry for asking a question that may have been asked repeatedly already, but I searched and couldn't find a lot of feedback.

Can someone please provide impressions about the RP-280f? I hear reports that it "should" sound great and is significantly better than RF-82 II, but it's hard to tell if that is based on marketing and specs or if that is an actual result of direct comparison. I did read the official review as well but even that thread is going back and forth about the validity of a lot of details.

Does it really just come down to subjective opinion? I could just buy these speakers based on intuition but wouldn't have any basis for comparison to know if they are good (say compared to something like RC-70 or PSB x1T or similar).

Just curious what the current owners think and if there's any comparison with other products.

Thanks a lot.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
post #46626 of 49732 Old 09-17-2015, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked: 2428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard78 View Post
about a year ago I purchased a pair of rb-61 ii's, with the plan of adding a center down the road, and then possibly rear surrounds. The center I was going to get was the rc-51 ii, which as I understood it was the best match for the rb-61s. It looks like the rc-51 is getting hard to find since the new models have come out, is there an equivalent in the new models that will match up pretty good with my existing speakers?
Do you have room for another RB-61 as a CC?? That would be the ideal match.
post #46627 of 49732 Old 09-17-2015, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I don't think that room would be an issue. . .but with the new models out those are hard to find as well. Why would that be a better fit than the RC series speaker?
ebdixson likes this.

Yamaha rx-v675
Klipsch rb61 ii's (L/R)
SVS PB-2000
post #46628 of 49732 Old 09-17-2015, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by codezion View Post
I hear reports that it "should" sound great and is significantly better than RF-82 II, but it's hard to tell if that is based on marketing and specs or if that is an actual result of direct comparison.
Where did you see that it sounds significantly better?

I've not heard the new ones, but common sense allows me to highly doubt that. They may sound slightly different but even that's probably difficult to say with certainty. They are basically the same speaker with a different horn lining... Which is unlikely to have any effect other than enable new marketing messaging.
codezion likes this.

SONY 75X850C | YAMAHA RX-A2050 | 5 DAYTON AUDIO APA150 | KLIPSCH RP 5.2.4
post #46629 of 49732 Old 09-17-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked: 2428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard78 View Post
I don't think that room would be an issue. . .but with the new models out those are hard to find as well. Why would that be a better fit than the RC series speaker?
Three identical speakers across the front stage is always going to be the ultimate in "cohesive-ness". With the inherent compromises of most MTM horizontal center speakers, if you can accommodate an identical, vertically oriented speaker as a center, it will always sound better than the compromised solutions. Add to that the fact that you will have zero timbre change as sounds pan from FL>CC>FR it's a no-brainer.
post #46630 of 49732 Old 09-17-2015, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post
Don't be a hater LOL j/k I too find some of the topics gets old after several years here, as they come back around every six months.

I noticed your Avator pic...... Washington Redskin fan??? If so "How Bout Them Cowboys" the other night

And I LOVE my Cornwalls and Heresy II
Well, we all know horns are honky. I don't think I've mentioned that for 3.256 weeks...
Louis Bartay and Mongo171 like this.
post #46631 of 49732 Old 09-17-2015, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Sorry for asking a question that may have been asked repeatedly already, but I searched and couldn't find a lot of feedback.

Can someone please provide impressions about the RP-280f? I hear reports that it "should" sound great and is significantly better than RF-82 II, but it's hard to tell if that is based on marketing and specs or if that is an actual result of direct comparison. I did read the official review as well but even that thread is going back and forth about the validity of a lot of details.

Does it really just come down to subjective opinion? I could just buy these speakers based on intuition but wouldn't have any basis for comparison to know if they are good (say compared to something like RC-70 or PSB x1T or similar).

Just curious what the current owners think and if there's any comparison with other products.

Thanks a lot.

Here is a link to the review from iMagic that is very favorable. As to whether it is better than the RF-82 II, I doubt anyone could truly answer that. Depends on how honky you like your horns, I guess.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...nDhnr3HxZbHi5w
codezion likes this.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's
PSA V3600I
Marantz SR7008 with TK421 Modification
Emotiva XPA-5
Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Samsung PN64F8500 (Master Bedroom)
post #46632 of 49732 Old 09-17-2015, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:

Thanks a lot.

I have had mine for 2.5 months and love them. I was coming from RF-35 which get bad rap, but I like them. The RP -280F sound great, not as harsh as the older speakers, but then I never found the older RF lines very harsh.

Personally I think until you get into say RF-7ii line all the others sound similar, not like you are going to hear radical differences.
codezion likes this.

Panasonic 65VT60
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-103
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #46633 of 49732 Old 09-17-2015, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 127
The first parts of my Tiny House HT build showed up:

I posted a build thread over on the Klipsch forum but I know you guys, like me, also like pictures. I will update once the rest of the gear shows up.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
post #46634 of 49732 Old 09-17-2015, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I also borrowed my office's 3D camera to show the lower level, where the "HT" is going. Figured this would help you guys help me get the right speaker placement.

Click the link below the picture to take the brief 3D tour:

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=n9o2rukjdB9
Louis Bartay likes this.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
post #46635 of 49732 Old 09-17-2015, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:

Can someone please provide impressions about the RP-280f?
If only someone would write a review on them...

Klipsch RP-280F Tower Speakers Official AVS Forum Review
codezion, Louis Bartay and K5/SS like this.
post #46636 of 49732 Old 09-18-2015, 06:26 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I did read the AVS review of RP-280f which rates them well, but the thread comments seem to be all over the place. Maybe I am reading too much into it and should rather just buy a pair and see how they are to my liking. It's hard to pull the trigger without having a chance to listen to them first.

The only difference compared to RF-82 ii that I have read about so far is a different tweeter / horn but I don't know if the crossover is updated as well or not.

I'll probably just go ahead and buy either the new ones or the 82s soon, just wanted to get opinions from owners first.

Thanks again. Wvu80, kluken, Tom Riddle, virtualrain.

post #46637 of 49732 Old 09-18-2015, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I did read the AVS review of RP-280f which rates them well, but the thread comments seem to be all over the place. Maybe I am reading too much into it and should rather just buy a pair and see how they are to my liking. It's hard to pull the trigger without having a chance to listen to them first.

The only difference compared to RF-82 ii that I have read about so far is a different tweeter / horn but I don't know if the crossover is updated as well or not.

I'll probably just go ahead and buy either the new ones or the 82s soon, just wanted to get opinions from owners first.

I had RF-82II and I can tell they are amazing towers. If I didn't find super good deal on RF-7II I will still have them now. I believe they are very similar with RP-280F I had to chance to listen them in BB but you can't compare it like that system home and then in BB store. Your system at home is calibrated very well and your AVR can sound different then one what they have there and not talking if they ever did some set up other then connected spekers in BB. Also size of home room vs some BB corner or different room. I'm sure if you will be happy with both and one you buy will be better then ohter for you becouse will be yours. Now there is some really good deals on used RF-82II, I sold mine for $500 pair it was gread deal for new owner and he is very happy with them. Let us know what did you choice.
codezion likes this.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's, RS-52II's (soon for sale (maybe) :-)
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony XBR65X850B
Emotiva XPA-200 , Oppo 103D
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #46638 of 49732 Old 09-18-2015, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I currently have a set of 82's for sale in gear if interested, I just got the RF7's
codezion likes this.

Denon 2113ci
Klipsch RF-7's II
Klipsch RC-64 II
Klipsch RB-51 II
Klipsch RS-42 II
Klipsch R-112SW (x2)
post #46639 of 49732 Old 09-18-2015, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5/SS View Post
The first parts of my Tiny House HT build showed up:

I posted a build thread over on the Klipsch forum but I know you guys, like me, also like pictures. I will update once the rest of the gear shows up.
Awesome…congrats…let us know what you think of them.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
post #46640 of 49732 Old 09-18-2015, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I would guess the crossover is altered to account for the new horn, but I would assume it's along the same lines in terms of quality
codezion likes this.
post #46641 of 49732 Old 09-18-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb12679 View Post
I currently have a set of 82's for sale in gear if interested, I just got the RF7's
So when RF-7II's going to arrive? Let us know how you like them over 82's

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's, RS-52II's (soon for sale (maybe) :-)
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony XBR65X850B
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #46642 of 49732 Old 09-18-2015, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:

Thanks a lot.

The RP should sound better, but I don't think it'll be a significant change.

If you already own the RF-82ii's, I heavily doubt the difference is worth what you'll have to pay out for the new set...

If you're looking at buying a set of klipsch, and trying to decide between the two models, then it really comes down to this. If you can snag a set of RF-82ii's for $500 (which isn't too difficult in today's used market), then I can literally guarantee you the RP-280f isn't going to be capable of making up the difference in terms of quality, as it'd cost you twice as much to make that jump.
post #46643 of 49732 Old 09-18-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL D View Post
The RP should sound better, but I don't think it'll be a significant change.

If you already own the RF-82ii's, I heavily doubt the difference is worth what you'll have to pay out for the new set...

If you're looking at buying a set of klipsch, and trying to decide between the two models, then it really comes down to this. If you can snag a set of RF-82ii's for $500 (which isn't too difficult in today's used market), then I can literally guarantee you the RP-280f isn't going to be capable of making up the difference in terms of quality, as it'd cost you twice as much to make that jump.
Great advice. Thanks.
post #46644 of 49732 Old 09-18-2015, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Great advice. Thanks.
Scour craigslist, find a pair of RF-82ii's, go demo them there. If you like what you hear, buy them. If not, then move up.

The RP-280f was an evolution, not a revolution. The horn is a little bit more laid back, and the ports allow for a bit more down low before chuffing becomes an issue (although if you're pairing it up with a sub, this doesn't matter as you aren't going to reach the point of chuffing anyway).

For some, the small incremental updates are worth the extra, which is why I say to go demo a set of RF-82iis first, as there's plenty of people in every city who always have to have the next big thing and will have sets for sale. I'd tell you to demo the RP-280f first, but obviously you're in a situation where that's not an easy task.
post #46645 of 49732 Old 09-18-2015, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb12679 View Post
link please. I Have the 62s and wouldn't mind taking a look. I might even be in driving distance.

Main room (3D blu ray, PS4) - LG 65EG9600: Denon x4000, Klipsch RC-62II, RF-62II x2, RS-41II x2, SVS PC-12NSD + Klipsch RW12d
Couple small LCDs - PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, N64, 3DO, Saturn and other various retro game collections MINT COMPLETE games
post #46646 of 49732 Old 09-18-2015, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
link please. I Have the 62s and wouldn't mind taking a look. I might even be in driving distance.
FS: Klipsch RF 82ii's Black Plainfield, IL
dmb12679 likes this.

Onkyo Pre/Pro PR-SC5508 & Emotiva XPA-5's x 2
Klipsch RF-7II's Mains RC64II Center RB75's Heights RS-7's Sides RS-52II's Rears
Klipsch RW-12D Subs x 2
Klipsch Belle's x 4
OPPO BDP-105 with Roku Streaming Stick
Epson 6030UB / Vapex 120" Electric Tensioned Screen
post #46647 of 49732 Old 09-18-2015, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 198
So any of my old friends want to give me a final advice on upgrading from 62s to 82s? Back when I originally bought my 62s one person said with a subwoofer they didn't see much difference but I agree with another opinion expressed that you'd still hear the difference. Perhaps the movie soundtracks would just sound a bit fuller?

Any thoughts?

Main room (3D blu ray, PS4) - LG 65EG9600: Denon x4000, Klipsch RC-62II, RF-62II x2, RS-41II x2, SVS PC-12NSD + Klipsch RW12d
Couple small LCDs - PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, N64, 3DO, Saturn and other various retro game collections MINT COMPLETE games
post #46648 of 49732 Old 09-19-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
So any of my old friends want to give me a final advice on upgrading from 62s to 82s? Back when I originally bought my 62s one person said with a subwoofer they didn't see much difference but I agree with another opinion expressed that you'd still hear the difference. Perhaps the movie soundtracks would just sound a bit fuller?

Any thoughts?
If you can get them for price you said and really don't want to go for RF-7II's then I will say yes for sure. We been talking here before about different between 62's -82's and with sub it is not much listening without sub definitely yes. 8" woofers are just better.
I had RF-82II's and I sold them for $500 and I think it is very fair price for buyer vs seller and they are excellent towers. So my vote is yes go for it.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony XBR65X850B
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3

Last edited by retro124; 09-19-2015 at 06:24 AM.
post #46649 of 49732 Old 09-19-2015, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Anyone in the South Eastern Virginia area?

https://community.klipsch.com/index..../#entry1924466
retro124 likes this.

Onkyo Pre/Pro PR-SC5508 & Emotiva XPA-5's x 2
Klipsch RF-7II's Mains RC64II Center RB75's Heights RS-7's Sides RS-52II's Rears
Klipsch RW-12D Subs x 2
Klipsch Belle's x 4
OPPO BDP-105 with Roku Streaming Stick
Epson 6030UB / Vapex 120" Electric Tensioned Screen
post #46650 of 49732 Old 09-19-2015, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 385
^^That's an awesome deal^^

It wouldn't be too hard to hide that repair.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page