Klipsch owner thread - Page 1582 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5452Likes

Old 12-03-2015, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst View Post
You may have some standing wave interference from all those mixed speakers near field to each other.

It looks awesome though
lol. They were just arranged that way for a photo. I recently replaced my JBL Studio Series collection which have served me well for over a decade now. Those 9 speakers will be passed onto my nephew when he gets older. He is 5 now and on Thanksgiving the rest of my Klipsch Reference Series II speakers arrived. We unboxed them and I took some photos of both collections with my nephew in front.

I think he will like the photos when he becomes a teen. I would never have the speakers bunched up like that to play. It was just a "show of force" photo for a kid. He loved it. I think when he gets older and hooks up his JBLs it will be cool looking back at himself in front of Uncle Tony's speakers. Gotta share some time and make some memories with these little guys before they grow up and don't want to have anything to do with you, ya know?

The 15 Klipsch speakers are currently nowhere near one another. They are spaced out as follows:
Each corner of the room has one R-115SW
One pair of RF7IIs are hooked up as my main front speakers. They are over 5 feet from each side wall and over 7 feet apart from one another.
One pair of RF7IIs are hooked up as my side surrounds. They are over 4 feet from the back wall and are on opposite ends of the room.
The RC-64II is hooked up as the center speaker and is over 2' away from each of the front tower speakers.
One pair of RB-81IIs are hooked up as rear height surrounds. They are over 5' from the side walls and there is over 6' between them. They are about 6' off the ground.
One pair of RB-81IIs are hooked up as front height surrounds. They are over 3' from the side walls and there is over 9' between them. They are about 6' off the ground.
One pair of RB-81II are hooked up as front wide surrounds. The final resting spot is TBD but obviously will reside outside the front towers.

So, for a visual image...none of the 9 JBLs are in the room anymore, the sub that is stacked on top of the bottom one is now in the rear right corner of the room, the RF7II near the sub is now in the side surround position, the center speaker rests on the shelf that is holding my Denon receivers and those RB-81s that were holding it up have now been returned to the rear height surround and front wide surround positions. The front RF7II have been moved out a little. I hope that is clear.

Robbiey60 and HYPURR DBL NKL like this.

Klipsch: 5 RF-7 IIs (center, front mains & side surrounds), 6 RB-81 IIs (front-wide, height & rear surrounds), 4 R-115SW subs. Power Sound Audio: 2 V3600i dual 18" subs. ATI amplifiers: AT6005 & AT4006 Morris Kessler Signature series. Denon: AVR-X5200W. Belden: 10 AWG copper speaker wire. Sewell Direct Deadbolt banana plugs. SVS: sub interconnects. Blue Jeans Cables: interconnects. Mediabridge: Ultra series HDMI, Mid Atlantic: RCS-27U rack w/fans. Epson: 5030UBe projector. Elite: 125" AT screen.

Last edited by Tonycpa2004; 12-03-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2015, 09:11 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 38
^^^nice!!^^^
Tonycpa2004 likes this.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 385
That is a very cool pic!
Tonycpa2004 likes this.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
Old 12-03-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPURR DBL NKL View Post
^^^nice!!^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptorman View Post
That is a very cool pic!
Thanks a lot guys. My nephew got a kick out of arranging the speakers like building blocks. My back is still killing me...hahaha!

Klipsch: 5 RF-7 IIs (center, front mains & side surrounds), 6 RB-81 IIs (front-wide, height & rear surrounds), 4 R-115SW subs. Power Sound Audio: 2 V3600i dual 18" subs. ATI amplifiers: AT6005 & AT4006 Morris Kessler Signature series. Denon: AVR-X5200W. Belden: 10 AWG copper speaker wire. Sewell Direct Deadbolt banana plugs. SVS: sub interconnects. Blue Jeans Cables: interconnects. Mediabridge: Ultra series HDMI, Mid Atlantic: RCS-27U rack w/fans. Epson: 5030UBe projector. Elite: 125" AT screen.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandcarrera View Post
As of right now my set up is

2 280FA front
1 150CA center
1 115W subwoofer
2 250S for surround

Im planning on adding two more rear speakers, should I go with 2 more of 250 S or should I get tower speaker likes 280 or 260 F for it?

How about RP-280FA in the rear?

7.2.4 setup/ Yamaha RX-A3050 as Pre/Pro
Aragon Power: 8008 mk III, 2005; RX-A3050 4 ch.power for height channels
Klipsch RP Atmos System; RP280FA x4 (F/R), RP40CA, RS62II, R-115SW x3, etc. [Forum friend at Klipsch]

Old 12-03-2015, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonycpa2004 View Post
I suspect it has to do with the amazing value of the Emotiva amps. They are very economical. However, 2 people in this thread that own the Klipsch/Emotiva combo both said if they had either known ahead of their purchase and/or if cost were not an issue, they wouldn't go with the Emotiva amps. That's why I dropped them from consideration.

I am a lot older now than when I first got into home audio 30 years ago (I'm 46 now), so perhaps I am in a different financial situation. I can tell you I have used AVR receivers and have been happy for the last 3 decades and I am certain that the Emotiva option I posted originally is a huge upgrade compared to an AVR and I'm certain I would be thrilled to have Emotiva amps (over my Denon receivers) as are some of the Emotiva owner's that have weighed in. It's just that my current financial situation allows me other options, and since I am kind of building a dream system for my budget, I can afford to rule out some more economical choices that have known issues. Having said that, I would happily share some beers and watch the Superbowl in any home theater playing Klipsch/Emotiva as their audio set-up.
I appreciate your comments and perspective. Like yourself, I'm also a bit older, kids are grown, and more financially independent now. My comments, however, were not necessarily related to economics but more on principle. That being said, most of us will find or seek a comfortable or desired balance between economics and perceived quality. And this is what makes it possible for our community to share this enjoyable journey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
As an owner of an Emotiva amp and Klipch RF-7 II's, I'm qualified to say, the noise from the Emitiva amp is only audible at an extremely close distance - one that nobody would ever listen at. This barely audible noise is created by the high gain of the amp and high efficiency of the speaker. As for the listening position, it doesn't introduce any audible change in sound, therefore not affecting overall sound quality in any way, just as intended. This is why you don't hear more about this, because it is a veritable non-issue.
The many happy owners of the Klipsch/Emotiva combo obviously support this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
In the case of the OP - they have a very large amp budget, and therefore, the slight buzz of the Emotiva was a disqualifier. If you can afford the best, then there really is no reason to go with the bargain amp (Emotiva) that gets the job done (just as well), but with a small but largely unoticable side effect.
And there's room to support this perspective as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Hey Gene, Emo really have a very very small noise you need to place your ear on speaker to hear it. Definitelly not issue at all to remove Emotiva from your list. Emo is maybe economic amp but for pair RF-7II's really all what you need if need it at all.
Over the past year, I have sought the advice and opinions of the members of this thread. And during this time, I seem to have followed the direction provided by you (Retro), Tom, and a few others in particular...which is to say I have a high regard for your collective experiences and opinions. Put another way...you guys are causing me to happily spend money!!! A great community and room for all!

Quick Update: You'll notice in my signature that I've also updated my RS-52 II's to RS-62 II's...a subtle improvement in my HT. Next on my agenda will be an AVR update to accommodate a 7.2.4 Atmos setup. Then I plan to upgrade my subs to dual 18's followed in the spring with external amps.
retro124 likes this.

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR636 (5.2.2)
Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6
SVS: PB-13 Ultra x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85
Old 12-03-2015, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
How about RP-280FA in the rear?

that will be a lot of money lol
Old 12-03-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonycpa2004 View Post
I am looking for one amp that provides approx. 200W RMS X7 channels and two amps that provide approx. 250-300W RMS X 2 channels for under $10,000 total.
The K series are 2-channel. Might not fit your needs. I'm targeting a 5.1 (or 5.2) system. I also actively biamp. I will need as many as six K2's if I do what I envision. (one for left, right, center, sub, sub and one to split rear duty)

I might be able to work it where I'd need less. Point being, I understand why someone might want a 5,6,7 channel amp!!
Old 12-03-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Tony, where abouts do you live? I know the odds are small but if you are anywhere near me, I have an extra K2 laying around that you could borrow and give a listen to....or, perhaps hear them on a larger Klipsch speaker.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

Could you please help me in deciding on surround speakers and comment on current gear? Ignorant and newbie to this so trying to get help..

Recently, bought RF-82, RC-52 II and SVS PB-1000 and looking for surround. Room layout is approx: 21x17x18 (two story family room) and one side of the room opens up to other room. System will be used 50:50 between movies and music.

Not sure if RC-52 II is enough or do you recommend to upgrade?

Surrounds: RP-250S or RP-240S or R-14S ?

Looking forward for your suggestions.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2015, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Help on selecting surround speakers

Hi,

Could you please help me in deciding on surround speakers and comment on current gear? Ignorant and newbie to this so trying to get help..

Recently, bought RF-82, RC-52 II and SVS PB-1000 and looking for surround. Room layout is approx: 21x17x18 (two story family room) and one side of the room opens up to other room. System will be used 50:50 between movies and music.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coytee View Post
Tony, where abouts do you live? I know the odds are small but if you are anywhere near me, I have an extra K2 laying around that you could borrow and give a listen to....or, perhaps hear them on a larger Klipsch speaker.
That's an awesome offer. Very nice of you. I'm over a 1,000 miles from Tennessee unfortunately. What is the exact model...I can't find it on Crown International anywhere?

Quote:
The K series are 2-channel. Might not fit your needs. I'm targeting a 5.1 (or 5.2) system. I also actively biamp. I will need as many as six K2's if I do what I envision. (one for left, right, center, sub, sub and one to split rear duty)

I might be able to work it where I'd need less. Point being, I understand why someone might want a 5,6,7 channel amp!!
6 amps means you will have 6 power cords to plug in as well, in addition to everything else in the room. That would be 11 for me...so not ideal.

Coming from the JBL community (of which I am still a huge fan, and always will be), I have heard a lot about Crown amps over the years. Still, I revisited the Crown website for a second time but I just don't see anything that is the right fit. I see they do have some highly rated amps and checked out the CTS4200 260W x 4 channels for $1,600, the CTS600 300W X 2 channels for $900 and the DriveCore XLS1500, etc. I did not see any models labeled K1 or K2 and I spent over an hour going through every single link on their site. Maybe K1/K2s are discontinued? Not sure.

The thing with Crown is, while they are highly affordable and highly rated by consumers, I need to filter out some brands that may provide a perfectly good solution simply because there are an overwhelming number of options out there. There is always going to be other brands that will sound awesome. I also believe that Crown specializes in commercial audio and while that could certainly work in my theater, I'm relying on both members of the Klipsch community, owners reviews on different sites around the web, and professional reviewerss to help narrow down the list. I haven't found any members of the high end home audio market award Crown amps with their recommendation as product of the year, etc. Does that mean I could get a bunch of those Crown amps I listed above and be super happy? No. It's just that I am building my dream theater and I need to find some criteria that I can collectively apply to all the choices. I have to come to a decision somehow. I'm also going to be talking to the technical experts for each of the manufacturers on my short list, etc etc

I've been sick the last two days and that has enabled me to kick-off my amp research. I've spent at least 16 hours so far and here is my current short list (and I have to thank a lot of the guys in this thread for recommending some of these brands to me - especially ATI!):
In order:
#1 (tied) ATI Amplifier Technologies Signature Series: Owner is a legend for building amps since 1962. Class A/B amp. Located and built in California. Great looking product. Best of 2014 award from home theater reviews and 5 stars. AVS Forum editor best sounds of CES 2015. Reviews: http://www.ati-amp.com/reviews.php.

$6,500 each retail for one AT6004 300W RMS X 4 channels - at 8 ohms, <0.03%THD+N, 20Hz-20kHz, all channels driven, Frequency response 5z-100kHz (ref. -3db), Input sensitivity 1.9V (ref. rated power), Amp voltage gain 28db, Signal to noise >128db at A-weighted ref 1 watt and > 120db A-weighted ref rated power, Crosstalk >100db from 20hz to 20kHz, Amp output impedence???, Damping factor > 400 (ref 8 ohms, 10hz to 100kHz), Slew rate 60V/usec, 2 channel weighs 96lbs. (but I am getting 4 channels so it will be even heavier) (to power both pair of RF7s) and $6,000 AT4007 200W RMS X 7 channels – at 8 ohms, <0.03%THD+N, 20Hz-20kHz, all channels driven, Frequency response 5z-100kHz (ref. -3db), Input sensitivity 1.9V (ref. rated power), Amp voltage gain 28db, Signal to noise >128db at A-weighted ref 1 watt and > 120db A-weighted ref rated power, Crosstalk >100db from 20hz to 20kHz, Amp output impedence???, Damping factor > 400 (ref 8 ohms, 10hz to 100kHz), Slew rate 60V/usec, weighs 105lbs.! (to power my center speaker and 6 surrounds). Order direct from manufacturer and have them recommend the correct options for under $10,000 total.

#1 (tied) NAD Masters Series: Established in 1972. Class D technology – sometimes have a problem producing high frequencies like 20kHz with no distortion at full power (need to research if this is an issue for this model). Headquarters in Canada. They outsource manufacturing. Great looking product.

$6,000 ($3,000 each retail) for two Masters Series M22 >250W RMS x 2 channels – at 8 ohms, <0.003%THD+N, 20Hz-20kHz, both channels driven, Frequency response 3Hz-30KHz (ref. -3db), Input sensitivity 1.6V (ref. rated power), Amp voltage gain 29db, Signal to noise >100db at A-weighted ref 1 watt and > 120db A-weighted ref rated power, Crosstalk ???, Amp output impedence???, Damping factor > 800 (ref 8 ohms, 50hz and 1kHz), Slew rate ???, weighs 33lbs. (to power both pair of RF-7s) and $4,000 each retail for one Masters Series M27 >180W RMS x 7 channels – at 8 ohms, <0.005%THD+N, 20Hz-20kHz, all channels driven, Frequency response 3Hz-100kHz (ref. -2.5db), Input sensitivity 1.3V (ref. rated power), Amp voltage gain 29db, Signal to noise >98db at A-weighted ref 1 watt and > 120db A-weighted ref rated power, Crosstalk ???, Amp output impedence???, Damping factor > 750 (ref 8 ohms, 50hz and 1kHz), Slew rate ???, weighs 45lbs. (to power the center speaker and the 6 surround speakers).

#3 Emotiva XPA Series: Class A/B amps. Gorgeous looks but not sure I will like the lights lit up when I am watching a movie...would need to see if they can be turned off. Both owners and manufacturer tech support confirm a known issue where the amp cause a buzzing noise.

$1,600 ($799 each retail) for two XPA-2 300W RMS X 2channels – at 8ohms, <0.07% THD, not sure if rating is 20Hz-20kHz, all channels driven, weighs 73lbs. (to power both pair of RF7s) and $1,300 each retail for one XPA-7 200W RMS x 7 channels – at 8ohms, <0.02% THD, not sure if rating is 20Hz-20kHz, all channels driven, weighs 96lbs. (to power my center speaker and 6 surround speakers). Their tech support said if these amps are paired with high efficiency speakers like my Reference Series II, there will be a buzzing noise heard up to 2 feet from the speakers. Another potential issue: I wouldn't want all these lights on the front of the amps when I watching movies.

These brands do not offer any amp/s solutions that are ideal to power my 11 speakers (ranked in order by best): Parasound, Anthem, Wyred 4 Sound, Crown International, Outlaw, Optomo NuForce, Integra, Red Dragon.

These brands are out of my price range (no particular order): McIntosh, Krell, Pass Labs, Mark Levinson, Class Audio, Audio Research and Cello.

Last edited by Tonycpa2004; 12-05-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Well, there's no such thing as too much power for your speakers, really.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the K1/K2's are discontinued. You'd be looking at used on Ebay. I think when new they were 2-3 thousand? (don't know)

Remember....there are people out there that might buy a wire exactly the same as the next wire but, if it costs $500 more, it will be better.

There are people out there that will tell you horns (and Klipsch) are honky, bright and in your face. They might buy much more expensive speakers.

I try to pay attention to my own ears.

You've got (if I recall) some Reference speakers. I've owned LaScalas for about 36 years, owned Khorns and currently have some even larger horns in my room. The Crowns are dead silent because I have adjusted their gain down (to about 25% on the dial) If I need to really thump the walls, I can just turn the gains up to 100% BUT, when I do this, I can easily (and I mean easily) hear some hiss across the room. Keep in mind I said when I want to thump the walls. The volume quickly blows any hiss out of the water if you crank it up.

For normal daily listening, no hiss and good sound.

(If I were you, I'd consider trying one from ebay that looks to be in good cosmetic condition. Give it a whirl....if you like it, decide what that means to you, if you don't like it, sell it and move on. You would get most of your funds back if you buy at a decent price)

I have had in my system:

McIntosh MC-2102 (tubed x 100 watts
Pair McIntosh MC-30's (tubed x 30 watts each)
Viva 300B (tubed around 8 watts)
Transcendent SE-OTL (OTL amp, tubed, about 4 watts when bridged)
Quad II (tubed, around 60 watts each I think, maybe 40)
Wright 2A3 (tubed about 3 1/2 watts each)

dbx BX1: monster solid state 4-channel amp
dbx BX3: smaller brother to the BX1

Though I currently still have the BX3, I have sold virtually every other one of those amps in lieu of using the Crown's. To be honest with you, I can't tell much of a difference. There might be a small difference there BUT, the real difference (for me) is swapping out to larger speakers, not electronics.
psgcdn likes this.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 63
What about Dsonic? I happened across them while looking up ICEpower class D amplifiers. They have quite a varied selection of amplifiers built around specific modules.

Marantz SR-5007 Klipsch WF-35, RP-450C, WB-14 theater
Marantz 2325 Klipsch Forte ii stereo
SVS PB-2000
LG 55LN5600
Sony PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U
Old 12-03-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

PS: no need to defend your thoughts on the Crown's. No skin off my back if you love them or hate them. For me, they work. I'd hate for them to work for someone else but, that person not know about them or, hear they're "pro amps" and therefore not worthy of residential use.

My main speakers were specifically designed to be HOME speakers. They were designed to replace the Klipschorn and become the Khorn II. Fate didn't have it work that way and the company never pursued them for residential use. Later, they needed a compact speaker in their cinema lineup and viola, Roy (chief engineer at their plant) pulled the design out and inserted it into the cinema lineup.

So, today, you have a speaker (Jubilee) that was specifically designed for home/residential use, sitting in a pro/commercial lineup.

When people (who don't know the back story) see it, they sometimes say it can't be a refined speaker because it's a "pro/cinema" speaker....not good enough for home use.

I try to correct them and point out it was not only specifically designed for home/residential use but, it turned out so good, it was ABLE to also play with the cinema big dog speakers!!

So my point is, things aren't always what they seem.

Good luck in your search!!
Old 12-03-2015, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 579
I've been running a pair of XPA-5's (Generation 1) for around 3 years now with my reference speakers. In all that time there has never been any hint of noise, hiss, static. etc.. Not even with my ear up against the speakers. Maybe I'm just lucky, idk but for what it's worth I'm still very happy with the purchase.

I do however run separates using balanced XLR cables and never have tried them with RCA's. Maybe that makes a difference? I'm by no means an emo fanboy but they have yet to let me down......ymmv

Onkyo Pre/Pro PR-SC5508 & Emotiva XPA-5's x 2
Klipsch RF-7II's Mains RC64II Center RB75's Heights RS-7's Sides RS-52II's Rears
Klipsch RW-12D Subs x 2
Klipsch Belle's x 4
OPPO BDP-105 with Roku Streaming Stick
Epson 6030UB / Vapex 120" Electric Tensioned Screen
Old 12-03-2015, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasdom View Post
I've been running a pair of XPA-5's (Generation 1) for around 3 years now with my reference speakers. In all that time there has never been any hint of noise, hiss, static. etc.. Not even with my ear up against the speakers. Maybe I'm just lucky, idk but for what it's worth I'm still very happy with the purchase.

I do however run separates using balanced XLR cables and never have tried them with RCA's. Maybe that makes a difference? I'm by no means an emo fanboy but they have yet to let me down......ymmv
I'm running RCA's - so that could be all the difference. I plan to change to a Pre/Pro soon, and add another Emotiva amp to run XLR's.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's
PSA V3600I
Marantz SR7008 with TK421 Modification
Emotiva XPA-5
Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Samsung PN64F8500 (Master Bedroom)
Old 12-03-2015, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post

Quick Update: You'll notice in my signature that I've also updated my RS-52 II's to RS-62 II's...a subtle improvement in my HT. Next on my agenda will be an AVR update to accommodate a 7.2.4 Atmos setup. Then I plan to upgrade my subs to dual 18's followed in the spring with external amps.
Well if I helped some how let's call it money well spend then I will feel much better . Looks like you got all line up really good. When did you get RS-62II's? I missed this news here .
With AVR you planning to get no reason to rush on ext. amp it can wait on last like you planning. How about subs it is going to be DIY ones?

Denon X6200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's, RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony XBR65X850B
Emotiva XPA-200, UPA-7 (on the way) Oppo 103D
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
Old 12-03-2015, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well if I helped some how let's call it money well spend then I will feel much better . Looks like you got all line up really good. When did you get RS-62II's? I missed this news here .
With AVR you planning to get no reason to rush on ext. amp it can wait on last like you planning. How about subs it is going to be DIY ones?
Absolutely...money well spent!!!

I actually upgraded to the RS-62 II's last month...was pretty busy so I did not get a chance to post...sorry. Relative to the AVR, I initially chose to go with the Denon 6200 but now I'm leaning toward an Onkyo 1030 or 3030 because I'm used to and prefer Onkyo's sound qualities...sorry again. And with respect to the subs, I feel I could go the DIY route but I'm not quite ready yet. Instead, I'm looking at 18" ported ID subs...most likely PSA's V1800's. Their performance and size appear to fit my theater best. And I've known Tom Vodhanel for almost 20 years as I bought one of my first cylinder subs (20-39 PC) from him when he was with SVS. For those that may not be aware, Tom is the "V" in SVS.

Last edited by gene4ht; 12-03-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Absolutely...money well spent!!!

I actually upgraded to the RS-62 II's last month...was pretty busy so I did not get a chance to post...sorry. Relative to the AVR, I initially chose to go with the Denon 6200 but now I'm leaning toward an Onkyo 1030 or 3030 because I'm used to and prefer Onkyo's sound qualities...sorry again. And with respect to the subs, I feel I could go the DIY route but I'm not quite ready yet. Instead, I'm looking at 18" ported ID subs...most likely PSA's V1800's. Their performance and size appear to fit my theater best. And I've known Tom Vodhanel for almost 20 years as I bought one of my first cylinder subs (20-39 PC) from him when he was with SVS. For those that may not be aware, Tom is the "V" in SVS.
No worries happy to hear you get them as you planned. Really Onkyo? OMG . It is totally fine as long as you happy with it no worries. I'm probably Denon guy I can say. Simple reason why. 17 years ago my friend in Czech bought Denon and loved it. Back then I had no idea what he was excited about but all his AV system was really good no question. When I move to US I bought Denon AVR I remember brand and it have good reviews 3803 model. Never let me down all those years, so I was ready to get Denon again and after reading about some HDMI board issue I end up with great X4000 and again no complains at all. So next AVR will be on my list Denon again but I can't say for sure I may end up with another one.

Denon X6200W
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony XBR65X850B
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
Old 12-03-2015, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Do you use Audyssey, retro?
Old 12-03-2015, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No worries happy to hear you get them as you planned. Really Onkyo? OMG . It is totally fine as long as you happy with it no worries. I'm probably Denon guy I can say. Simple reason why. 17 years ago my friend in Czech bought Denon and loved it. Back then I had no idea what he was excited about but all his AV system was really good no question. When I move to US I bought Denon AVR I remember brand and it have good reviews 3803 model. Never let me down all those years, so I was ready to get Denon again and after reading about some HDMI board issue I end up with great X4000 and again no complains at all. So next AVR will be on my list Denon again but I can't say for sure I may end up with another one.
I'm a bit OT...but I'll close out this discussion with this post. Over the years I've owned Kenwood, Pioneer, Marantz, Yamaha, and Denon. In fact, one of my favorites was my Denon AVR-5600...the flagship model at that time. However, as time passed I grew to really prefer Onkyo's sound...clear, powerful, and punchy (especially for movies) presumably due to their high current beefy power supply and amps...many Onkyo's outweigh their comparable competitive models by many pounds. Although Onkyo, in the recent past, has had QC issues with HDMI boards, I have never experienced a failure in the last three models I've owned. I'm also aware that current models from D&M, Pioneer, and Yamaha have features not found on this year's Onkyo high end models. Never the less, what is paramount for me first and foremost is the sound quality that I must live with day in and day out...the other features are secondary. But like all things, we each have personal preferences and choices....this is what makes this hobby so enjoyable!

Old 12-03-2015, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfan9 View Post
Do you use Audyssey, retro?
Yes I do

Denon X6200W
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony XBR65X850B
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
Old 12-04-2015, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity morgan View Post
Hi,

Thanks
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Your questions depend on a few things- what are you after in terms of performance, how much do you intend to spend and are you prepared to either buy 2nd hand or mix generations of speakers?
You have rf82iis which are good and you have an rc52ii which is ok, all of these speakers are the previous generation reference ii models. If you could find an rc62ii that would be a better matching center. The current generation equivalent to the rc62ii is the rp450c but it has a different horn. Likewise the mentioned rp250s and rp240s are the current generation surround speakers and are a match to the rp280f which are your rf82iis replacement model. Stay away from the r14s, that is a lower line surround model. Another question is do you want/need the surround speakers or would bookshelf speakers work? Rb61ii/rb81ii would work well to stay with previous generation or the rp160m is the new model equivalent.

(2)RF-83 (1)RC-64ii (2)RF-82ii (2)RC-62ii
(2)Exodus audio tempest-x 15" subs in 200l sealed enclosures
Onkyo 705 pre/pro and rear surrounds
DSPeaker Antimode 8033 sub eq Behringer EP4000 subs
NAD C275BEE mains
AMC 2N100-3 surrounds and center
Old 12-04-2015, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Ok guys,

So i ****ed up. Was traveling internationally and saw what i thought a good deal.

I have had my eyes set on getting the Klipsch reference premiere series speaker set (7 speakers + sub).

Thinking that it was the RP-280F, i ended up buying the R28 pair floor standing speakers from an airport terminal for about $250 each.

Obviously, when i got back and got the speakers in this Monday, i realized that these are not the 'reference premier' line. which i wanted to get.

Please note that I already have the reference premier center speaker (450-C) and the sub (112-SW). and the rest of the bookshelf surround speakers.

Now the dilemma....Should i keep the R-28F speakers or return them back and get the RP-280 for a very non sale price of $479.

This is where you guys come in...Is there a HUGE difference in sound between the R-28F vs RP-280F?! and if yes, does it warrenty me going through the pain in the process of returning and these things?

Not sure if having the premier reference center speaker (450-C) and the sub (112-SW) makes up for the sound difference.

Opinions?! Advise?! shunning?! ...are all welcome
Old 12-04-2015, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
PS: no need to defend your thoughts on the Crown's. No skin off my back if you love them or hate them. For me, they work. I'd hate for them to work for someone else but, that person not know about them or, hear they're "pro amps" and therefore not worthy of residential use.

My main speakers were specifically designed to be HOME speakers. They were designed to replace the Klipschorn and become the Khorn II. Fate didn't have it work that way and the company never pursued them for residential use. Later, they needed a compact speaker in their cinema lineup and viola, Roy (chief engineer at their plant) pulled the design out and inserted it into the cinema lineup.

So, today, you have a speaker (Jubilee) that was specifically designed for home/residential use, sitting in a pro/commercial lineup.

When people (who don't know the back story) see it, they sometimes say it can't be a refined speaker because it's a "pro/cinema" speaker....not good enough for home use.

I try to correct them and point out it was not only specifically designed for home/residential use but, it turned out so good, it was ABLE to also play with the cinema big dog speakers!!

So my point is, things aren't always what they seem.

Good luck in your search!!

Excellent and accurate perspective on this. Klipsch takes a Hi-Fi approach to cinema. It so happens that the exceptional dynamic capability of the Klipschorn allows it to be utilized in the cinema line. It could also be said that the home speakers (RF7II) can and have been used for sound reinforcement (parties, etc) due to the SPL and low distortion components.

However ironic it is that the Hi-Fi industry was birthed from cinema sound, way back in the 20s and 30s; Bell labs, Western Electric, etc.
I also have pro Klipsch cabinets (KP301II, subs etc.) and they sound like a bad ass monster hi-fi whenever I would DJ or run sound for the band. I drive it all with QSC cinema grade amps--- super quiet, immense headroom, efficient, and so clean.
The way I look at it is, the only variable is the size of the room. And how you approach it.

7.2.4 setup/ Yamaha RX-A3050 as Pre/Pro
Aragon Power: 8008 mk III, 2005; RX-A3050 4 ch.power for height channels
Klipsch RP Atmos System; RP280FA x4 (F/R), RP40CA, RS62II, R-115SW x3, etc. [Forum friend at Klipsch]

Old 12-04-2015, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by three_dead_trolls View Post
Ok guys,

So i ****ed up. Was traveling internationally and saw what i thought a good deal.

I have had my eyes set on getting the Klipsch reference premiere series speaker set (7 speakers + sub).

Thinking that it was the RP-280F, i ended up buying the R28 pair floor standing speakers from an airport terminal for about $250 each.

Obviously, when i got back and got the speakers in this Monday, i realized that these are not the 'reference premier' line. which i wanted to get.

Please note that I already have the reference premier center speaker (450-C) and the sub (112-SW). and the rest of the bookshelf surround speakers.

Now the dilemma....Should i keep the R-28F speakers or return them back and get the RP-280 for a very non sale price of $479.

This is where you guys come in...Is there a HUGE difference in sound between the R-28F vs RP-280F?! and if yes, does it warrenty me going through the pain in the process of returning and these things?

Not sure if having the premier reference center speaker (450-C) and the sub (112-SW) makes up for the sound difference.

Opinions?! Advise?! shunning?! ...are all welcome
Yep you #!@#ed up!! Return them and get the RP280F's. Huge difference.

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Oppo 103D Sony PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
Old 12-04-2015, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I need some help figuring out which Klipch center to pair my brand new R-26F. I was initially looking at the R-25C but then I saw the RP-250C and that looks like a better center but I'm not sure if it will overpower the R-26F's. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Edit: I also have the R-10SW sub.

Last edited by benso37; 12-04-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Ouch. I didnt know it was that big of a difference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , klipsch icon wf 35 floorstanding speakers , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black