Klipsch owner thread - Page 1603 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7547Likes

post #48061 of 53898 Old 01-24-2016, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfan9 View Post
Nice! I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the difference between the surround speakers. Even differences between the series are fairly minor compared to the tweeter, horn, and woofer sizes, which are identical between the models. If anything, I'd put that money towards a larger surround, front, or center, or additional sub (not for volume but for evenness of response).

Also, if you're looking for improvements now, play with toe in and speaker location (especially for the surrounds, and potentially widening the mains).
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually already have spread the front speakers out a little more. Only had minimal room but I moved them out as much as possible and did toe them in a little more. The only reason I was considering replacing the current KS-14 bipole speakers I'm using now with the direct firing R-14's later on is to maybe lessen the impact that the bipoles may be affecting/interfering with the up firing atmos speaker sound. Can't really go any larger because over on the right backside I have two doors right there at the corner on the side and back walls. Have to fit that speaker between the door trim and ceiling trim which is only 10 inches of space. My room is only 13.6 x 13.6 so I really don't need very large speakers to feel the room with sound. Especially as efficient as the speakers are. I'm really loving the sound I'm getting in here now. When watching a movie or show I really don't even notice the speakers. The sound seems to come from everywhere instead of a specific location. Even when a sound in the recording is sent specifically to a location/speaker it seems to emanate from that area and not from a box/speaker. Pretty darn cool. They've been running a week now taking time to break in/loosen up so I'm going to recalibrate tomorrow with Audyssey. I'm definitely satisfied with the speakers and glad I did choose to replace the Pioneers with these. Definite improvement. As for an additional sub, I have absolutely no room anywhere in here to add another. My room is completely full. I don't have a foot of extra space around the room and the center has to be left open for moving my equipment and wheelchair around.

Last edited by Daryl L; 01-24-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #48062 of 53898 Old 01-24-2016, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually already have spread the front speakers out a little more. Only had minimal room but I moved them out as much as possible and did toe them in a little more. The only reason I was considering replacing the current KS-14 bipole speakers I'm using now with the direct firing R-14's later on is to maybe lessen the impact that the bipoles may be affecting/interfering with the up firing atmos speaker sound. Can't really go any larger because over on the right backside I have two doors right there at the corner on the side and back walls. Have to fit that speaker between the door trim and ceiling trim which is only 10 inches of space. My room is only 13.6 x 13.6 so I really don't need very large speakers to feel the room with sound. Especially as efficient as the speakers are. I'm really loving the sound I'm getting in here now. When watching a movie or show I really don't even notice the speakers. The sound seems to come from everywhere instead of a specific location. Even when a sound in the recording is sent specifically to a location/speaker it seems to emanate from that area and not from a box/speaker. Pretty darn cool. They've been running a week now taking time to break in/loosen up so I'm going to recalibrate tomorrow with Audyssey. I'm definitely satisfied with the speakers and glad I did choose to replace the Pioneers with these. Definite improvement. As for an additional sub, I have absolutely no room anywhere in here to add another. My room is completely full. I don't have a foot of extra space around the room and the center has to be left open for moving my equipment and wheelchair around.

U could always put wheels on a sub, custom klipsch wheelchair
Daryl L likes this.
post #48063 of 53898 Old 01-24-2016, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly.mcaloney View Post
U could always put wheels on a sub, custom klipsch wheelchair
Hahaha.
kelly.mcaloney likes this.

post #48064 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well I ended up picking up the older Klipsch Reference speakers only to find out the RW-12 did not work after hooking everything up. I let the seller know and he was more than happy to either refund my money or pay for the repair of the amp. I opted for the repair but will likely just use it to buy a new sub.

All in all I ended up with 2 RF-35's, 1 RC-35 and 2 Rebel Satellites for $200. I still think it was a great deal.
post #48065 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Howdy Klipsch owners, long time lurker in the Speaker area, never posted too much here (more in the Subwoofer forum), but I think I'm on the verge of finally purchasing new speakers for my HT room. I had been eyeballing the RB-61s for a while a couple years ago, but got distracted by other shiny toys.

I'm looking at the RP-160Ms for L&R mains right now, plus a RP-250C for center. I'll upgrade the rest of the surrounds later, perhaps by purchasing bigger front mains (RP-280F or RP-260F) and swapping RP-160Ms to the rear, or just getting another pair of RP-160Ms.

I've been using two pairs (not quite matched) of relatively big 3-way mains (with 12 woofers) for the "corners" of a 5.1 set-up, and an oddball 2-way main (8" woofer) for center. Last year or maybe the year before I added a couple bookshelf speakers (5" woofer) for a 7.1 set-up, though one hardly notices most of the time. I have a couple of Epik Empires for subwoofers, so I'm set there - I just need speakers for the 60Hz or 80Hz and above content.

The mains I've been using have done a yeoman's job for over 30 years (replaced the foam surrounds at least once), but my current receiver (Onkyo 808) certainly gets tired pushing them at times - they are rated at 100W but at a relatively low efficiency (83db, IIRC, possibly lower).

My room is a bonus room (over the garage), approx 22' wide x 20' deep, 8' ceiling, two tiers of seats.

I currently have my front mains atop medium-height but deep bookshelves, so the woofers are at ear height for the front row, and the rear mains are a bit higher so they don't get blocked by the chair backs so much. I would very likely just put the RP-160Ms in the exact same place (Which is why I'm not starting with RP-280Fs, for example).

(The really-rear bookshelf speakers are almost at the ceiling.)

I will likely go to a 5.1 configuration while I slowly upgrade the system.

I listen to a lot of surround music, so I try to keep the 5.1 portion of the speakers somewhere between the traditional 5.1 layout and a true Quad set-up (45deg, 135deg, 225 deg, 315deg), and watch a lot of movies, some with aggressive soundtracks. Explosions are fun!

I can't imagine the RP-160Ms + RP-250C not being capable of replacing my aging early-80s beasts - the power rating is the same but efficiency is much higher.

So...anything I haven't considered?
Scott Stice likes this.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #48066 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 131
If your budget allows it I would upgrade the center channel speaker to the RP440C or RP450C especially if you think you might upgrade your towers later on to the RP 260F or RP 280F. I have the RP450C paired with the RP280F for L/C/R and am very happy with them. I would give sound distributors a call and see what kind of price he can give you. I just ordered another pair of RP280F from them!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #48067 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Somebody please help me! I did a warranty claim for rf42ii online, since the tweeter went out, and I was really happy when I received an email saying "your order has shipped". Wife calls me and tells me they just sent me the part. What the heck am. I supposed to do with that? Is it that easy to replace?
post #48068 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stice View Post
If your budget allows it I would upgrade the center channel speaker to the RP440C or RP450C especially if you think you might upgrade your towers later on to the RP 260F or RP 280F. I have the RP450C paired with the RP280F for L/C/R and am very happy with them. I would give sound distributors a call and see what kind of price he can give you. I just ordered another pair of RP280F from them!

OK, I will give them a call.

But...if I don't upgrade to the 260F or 280F, would I be better off with the 250C as a center? Seems like the 440C or 450C would be overkill in that case. Hmm. Decisions.

EDIT: It occurs to me to perhaps take things more piecemeal: get the 160Ms, see how they do at replacing my current L/R Mains. Then decide whether to upgrade the fronts, in which case I get the bigger center.

Last edited by shinksma; 01-25-2016 at 04:00 PM. Reason: hemming and hawing
post #48069 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBanton View Post
Well I ended up picking up the older Klipsch Reference speakers only to find out the RW-12 did not work after hooking everything up. I let the seller know and he was more than happy to either refund my money or pay for the repair of the amp. I opted for the repair but will likely just use it to buy a new sub.

All in all I ended up with 2 RF-35's, 1 RC-35 and 2 Rebel Satellites for $200. I still think it was a great deal.
You got a smoking deal, congrats.
RobBanton and wvu80 like this.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
post #48070 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 04:33 PM

I watch a lot of movies and TV and since all the dialogue comes from the center channel speaker it was a must that I invested in a nicer center channel speaker. I would buy the best center channel speaker your budget allows. My previous home theater the cheapest speaker was the center channel and while it did work I was constantly having to adjust the volume or change my settings because I couldn't hear dialogue then when an action scene came on it was loud because I had my receiver turned up to hear the dialogue. Having a bigger center channel speaker in my new setup has been so great it really is important to spend some money on a center channel speaker.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
cchunter likes this.
post #48071 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 04:45 PM

Lol beware of the upgrade bug get the 160Ms and see how they do and that will give you a good deciding factor if you want to upgrade everything. I originally just purchased the 450C to give me better dialogue but it sounded so good that I saved up to buy the RP280Fs to use as front L/R and I liked those so much that I ordered another pair of RP280Fs to use as my side surrounds.

post #48072 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkleafar View Post
Somebody please help me! I did a warranty claim for rf42ii online, since the tweeter went out, and I was really happy when I received an email saying "your order has shipped". Wife calls me and tells me they just sent me the part. What the heck am. I supposed to do with that? Is it that easy to replace?
Anyone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
post #48073 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Anyone?

That's generally the way most companies do it you would install it yourself. I haven't had anything go out on my Klipsch speakers so I won't be much help as far as how easy it would be to swap out. I would contact Klipsch and ask them how you should go about fixing it so you don't ruin your speakers or void your warranty.

wvu80 likes this.
post #48074 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
That's generally the way most companies do it you would install it yourself. I haven't had anything go out on my Klipsch speakers so I won't be much help as far as how easy it would be to swap out. I would contact Klipsch and ask them how you should go about fixing it so you don't ruin your speakers or void your warranty.

There is no way I'm taking my speaker apart. I have zero skills on that. Never even saudered anything in my life. It seems pretty unreasonable to me that they expect me to pop this thing in. Aren't the speaker sealed in some special way or something? Seems like I'm gonna have to go pay someone to do it for me. So much for warranty.. Thanks for the help.

post #48075 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
There is no way I'm taking my speaker apart. I have zero skills on that. Never even saudered anything in my life. It seems pretty unreasonable to me that they expect me to pop this thing in. Aren't the speaker sealed in some special way or something? Seems like I'm gonna have to go pay someone to do it for me. So much for warranty.. Thanks for the help.

Yeah I could understand you not wanting to take the speaker apart. I would give Klipsch a call and see what they suggest.

wvu80 likes this.
post #48076 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
Quote:

Take the tweeter out of the box. Unscrew the tweeter magnet assembly. The tweeter diaphragm should be right there. If it needs soldering, contact a speaker repair shop near you. Shouldn't be expensive to replace.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
post #48077 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
It's trivially easy to replace. You'll basically have to remove a bunch of Torx screws (to remove the plastic baffle cover and then the driver itself), disconnect two wires from the back of the bad tweeter, connect the wires to the new tweeter, and put all the screws back in.
post #48078 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

There are something like 10 torx screws and your tweeter will come out with the horn piece (top). Take out the 3 phillips screws and replace the tweeter, the wires are push on terminals. Screw it back together, done deal.
wvu80 likes this.
post #48079 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
It's trivially easy to replace. You'll basically have to remove a bunch of Torx screws (to remove the plastic baffle cover and then the driver itself), disconnect two wires from the back of the bad tweeter, connect the wires to the new tweeter, and put all the screws back in.
No saudering?

post #48080 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
No saudering?

None. No soldering either.
post #48081 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I watch a lot of movies and TV and since all the dialogue comes from the center channel speaker it was a must that I invested in a nicer center channel speaker. I would buy the best center channel speaker your budget allows. My previous home theater the cheapest speaker was the center channel and while it did work I was constantly having to adjust the volume or change my settings because I couldn't hear dialogue then when an action scene came on it was loud because I had my receiver turned up to hear the dialogue. Having a bigger center channel speaker in my new setup has been so great it really is important to spend some money on a center channel speaker.

Quote:
Lol beware of the upgrade bug get the 160Ms and see how they do and that will give you a good deciding factor if you want to upgrade everything. I originally just purchased the 450C to give me better dialogue but it sounded so good that I saved up to buy the RP280Fs to use as front L/R and I liked those so much that I ordered another pair of RP280Fs to use as my side surrounds.

Re: The Upgrade Bug. Well, good news is I managed to avoid the upgrade bug for my speakers for 30 years, so I think I can manage to hold on to these for a while yet. I suffer from upgraditis in other areas (Receivers, TVs/PJs, guitars), so I feel somewhat relaxed about my speakers.

I've ordered a pair of 160Ms and a 250C from sound distributors. I think that they will do just fine for my purposes, based on the estimation that these speakers should seem four times louder than my current ones (83-ish dB senstivity vs 96 dB) at the same receiver settings. (Old speakers were also 8 ohm.)

I fully expect to order another set of 160Ms for the rears, maybe two sets if I stick to 7.1 (or two sets of 150Ms, to be a little smaller/more discreet?)

EDIT: I looked at the sensitivity data plate that is mounted to the front of the old speakers - it is a noisy up and down squiggle that peaks at mid-90s for certain freqs and drops to low-80s for others. I'm not sure how much to believe it because both pairs have identical squiggles, and I know one pair is brighter than the other (slightly different speakers used in second pair which were bought a year after the first). These are cheap Sears LXI speakers (as mentioned, circa 1982-1983), so you can understand my desire to upgrade - even though they have done quite well over the years and I get many compliments over how good my HT sounds.
Scott Stice likes this.

Last edited by shinksma; 01-26-2016 at 04:40 AM. Reason: grammar; old speaker sensitivity
post #48082 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 05:43 PM

Haha that is good news. Congrats on the new speakers!! Let us know what you think of them.

post #48083 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:

The center speaker and subwoofer are the two most important when setting up a home theater. Do not skimp on either if possible. Overkill is not allowed in this thread
wvu80, retro124, MrGrey and 1 others like this.

5.2 Livingroom
Sony 65XBR850D 4K
Marantz SR7011
Klipsch RF7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS Dual SB13 Ultra's
Oppo UDP-203 4K Sony PS4 Pro Panamax 5300PM
post #48084 of 53898 Old 01-25-2016, 05:54 PM

Agree 100% after upgrading my center channel speaker and front L/R I upgraded my subwoofer and it totally changed the home theater experience for me. Yeah a lot of people talk about overkill like when I was looking for recommendations on a sub and went with an 18 inch sub for my setup in a bedroom being overkill but I love the way it sounds and wouldn't change it one bit!

post #48085 of 53898 Old 01-26-2016, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked: 1566
I went with a lot of upgrades before my center channel was upgraded. My RC3 did its job but my L/R needed something beefier. I really liked the RC64ii but that speaker is a bit expensive for me to acquire. I got the RP450C and the performance per dollar was incredible! I also hear details that I didn't hear with my RC3.

Subwoofers are the other big part. I took the risk and went with HSU and it was probably one of the best audio components that I have ever bought for my HT/media room.
cchunter, wvu80 and Scott Stice like this.
post #48086 of 53898 Old 01-26-2016, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
There is no way I'm taking my speaker apart. I have zero skills on that.

Never even saudered anything in my life. It seems pretty unreasonable to me that they expect me to pop this thing in. Aren't the speaker sealed in some special way or something? Seems like I'm gonna have to go pay someone to do it for me. So much for warranty.. Thanks for the help.
You are in good hands here, my friend.

If you have the skill to unlock your car with the key and actually start the vehicle, you have the skills to replace that tweeter.

I agree, contact Klipsch support to have them help you, because frankly it's their bad part and their job to fix this. If you feel more comfortable dealing with the AVS'ers, start a new thread here (don't bury it in the gigantic Klipsch Owners thread) and we will help you.

FYI you can also find a tremendous amount of helpful people at Klipsch.com on the forum, and several of the members here are also members there.
dmb12679 and Scott Stice like this.
post #48087 of 53898 Old 01-26-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80 View Post
You are in good hands here, my friend.

If you have the skill to unlock your car with the key and actually start the vehicle, you have the skills to replace that tweeter.

I agree, contact Klipsch support to have them help you, because frankly it's their bad part and their job to fix this. If you feel more comfortable dealing with the AVS'ers, start a new thread here (don't bury it in the gigantic Klipsch Owners thread) and we will help you.

FYI you can also find a tremendous amount of helpful people at Klipsch.com on the forum, and several of the members here are also members there.
Thanks! But I got it done. The tricky part was reconnecting the 2 wires to the tweeter once it was attached to the plastic front, because of my big fat hands and fingers, but I did it by holding the wire with some pliers. Definitely I lot easier that I expected it to be. Thanks everyone.

post #48088 of 53898 Old 01-26-2016, 09:36 PM

speaker day!!

post #48089 of 53898 Old 01-26-2016, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Very nice, open them boxes up
Scott Stice likes this.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
post #48090 of 53898 Old 01-26-2016, 09:54 PM

Just got them hooked up wow the sound in my room is awesome!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , klipsch icon wf 35 floorstanding speakers , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page