Klipsch owner thread - Page 1693 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 5648Likes

post #50761 of 50776 Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
anyone else having trouble logging in/getting a password reset from the Klipsch community?

I am looking for a set of speaker stands for my Quartets, either they aren't tall enough, have a high enough weight rating or terribly expensive.

Mains: Klipsch Quartets with upgraded tweeter/midrange diaphragms and X-overs from Mr. Crites.
Center: Klipsch Academy with upgraded tweeter diaphragms and X-overs from Mr. Crites.
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-25's
Sub: Emotiva Ultra 12
AV: Denon AVR-X4100W, Sony BDP-S6500, Vizio M60-D1 60" LCD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #50762 of 50776 Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Klipsch room size classifications Large, Larger, Largest??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
The whole entirety of the Kitchen counts as well for subwoofer performance.

For speakers (as long as you have a sub) it's less of a deal.
Does anybody here know how Klipsch classifies a room which is 19' (open on one side to kitchen) x 16' x 10' ceiling a Large, Larger, or Largest room?

Klipsch advertises that their 3 largest floor standing towers are for the Large, Larger, and Largest rooms. I've listened to the largest pair at Fry's large auditorium theater and felt the largest speakers were far too much for anything but an auditorium. I like Klipsch but am concerned that a largest room which is recommended for their biggest speaker is way to much for my 16 x 19 room, especially if I live in a neighborhood or even have a neighborhood. Knowing what they define as a Large, Larger, or Largest room would be helpful. Unfortunately Fry's had no other Klipsch connected up for playback.
post #50763 of 50776 Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post
Does anybody here know how Klipsch classifies a room which is 19' (open on one side to kitchen) x 16' x 10' ceiling a Large, Larger, or Largest room?

Klipsch advertises that their 3 largest floor standing towers are for the Large, Larger, and Largest rooms. I've listened to the largest pair at Fry's large auditorium theater and felt the largest speakers were far too much for anything but an auditorium. I like Klipsch but am concerned that a largest room which is recommended for their biggest speaker is way to much for my 16 x 19 room, especially if I live in a neighborhood or even have a neighborhood. Knowing what they define as a Large, Larger, or Largest room would be helpful. Unfortunately Fry's had no other Klipsch connected up for playback.
I'd give them a call and explain your goals. Some houses are better sound isolated than others.

I have 16x19x8' great room opens to the rest of the house and my Quartets/Academy plus an Emotiva Ultra 12 can get to levels that are uncomfortable.

Mains: Klipsch Quartets with upgraded tweeter/midrange diaphragms and X-overs from Mr. Crites.
Center: Klipsch Academy with upgraded tweeter diaphragms and X-overs from Mr. Crites.
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-25's
Sub: Emotiva Ultra 12
AV: Denon AVR-X4100W, Sony BDP-S6500, Vizio M60-D1 60" LCD
post #50764 of 50776 Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post

A lot of that is a bit marketing. What specific speakers are you looking at, and what are your overall listening goals.

"Most theories on audio and audio reproduction will be proven wrong only when the laws of physics change."
post #50765 of 50776 Old Today, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainz View Post
I have the 8" variant, the RB81ii, on corner bookshelves in my office driven by my Emotiva a-100 mini-X (50 Wpc) and Onkyo C-7030 CDP in a dedicated stereo system. The largest Reference line bookshelf speakers were chosen due to their advertised LF response and SPL rating, as well as the ease of placement due to their front porting design. Their choice was also influenced by their availability then and price (Cost after discount for 'trying' a new Amazon CC: $209/ea!). In retrospect, the slightly smaller RB61ii's, which are also front-ported and give up very little to my RB81ii's in spec's (45Hz vs 44Hz @ -3dB & SPL of 95 dB vs 97 dB!), would have been easier to place due to size and weight (~10lb/ea lighter!).

In an odd turn of events, earlier this fall I found my VG++ '77 vintage Heresys and placed them in front of the corner bookcases, adding a new Emotiva A-100 BAS-X to drive them. I can now A-B the two speakers. Their is no doubt - the RB's are brighter, go lower, and are slightly more sensitive than the vintage Heresys. Understandably, the vintage Klipsch speakers have a bit more presence due to their MF horn (Actually, they have the same MF & HF horns as the then model Klipschorns!). The pair are enough different that I am not in any hurry to decide which pair I like best. I would say that by interpolation, the RB61ii's would make a fine sounding main set of speakers - and, at $329/pr vs $1,998/pr for the Heresys, clearly, they are a great value!

Of course, I've always wanted the Heresys... and even my older pair sound great...
agreed, I have 4 RB-81II I am getting this week, basically this month was upgrade everything lol!

Upgrading my 4 RF-82II WITH (4) RF-7II
UUpgrading my 4 RB-61II with RB-81II
Upgrading 64" TV with 138" 2.35:1 and 6040 epson
Upgrading 4311ci with X7200WA

My wife may kill me
post #50766 of 50776 Old Today, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterdog View Post
My Klipsch Home Theater...Front View

very nice! Here is nice...no laughing at small TV lol I have 138" 2.35:1 and epson 6040 on the way.

Actually upgrading everything but center this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161203_170425-800x600.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	1808457  
post #50767 of 50776 Old Today, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Look... a movie about a snow storm.

Astell & Kern AK120ii-Klipsch x11i-Klipsch x20i
Pioneer SC85-Eastern Electric Minimax Pre Amp-Bel Canto REF500M-Dennis Had Inspire Hotrod
Klipsch La Scala II/Aletheia Audio-Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio-Heresy II Signature-SW-115
Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse-OPPO BDP93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #50768 of 50776 Old Today, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Starting a new thread

I couldn't find where to post a new question and hope I'm in the right place. If not I'm sorry. Anyways I hae Klipsch RF-82II and they sound crappy" All the reviews I have read are very good and people seem to be very happy with them but I surely am not"" I'm running an old Onkyo A-7 amp and it just doesn't sound good at all. My cables are not super expensive bit they work fine it seems. I have plenty of power so I don't think its that. Into the amp I'm running an oppo dvd player I use to play cd,s and a grace internet tuner. The amp has no cd input so I'm using a tape monitor and tuner for the radio. Can someone please tell me what is wrong? I use 14ga stranded copper wire for speakers connections.
post #50769 of 50776 Old Today, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoluvr2 View Post
I couldn't find where to post a new question and hope I'm in the right place. If not I'm sorry. Anyways I hae Klipsch RF-82II and they sound crappy" All the reviews I have read are very good and people seem to be very happy with them but I surely am not"" I'm running an old Onkyo A-7 amp and it just doesn't sound good at all. My cables are not super expensive bit they work fine it seems. I have plenty of power so I don't think its that. Into the amp I'm running an oppo dvd player I use to play cd,s and a grace internet tuner. The amp has no cd input so I'm using a tape monitor and tuner for the radio. Can someone please tell me what is wrong? I use 14ga stranded copper wire for speakers connections.
Have you calibrated the speakers? Are the speakers placed properly? Might just be the A-7 not up to playing with modern equipment.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
post #50770 of 50776 Old Today, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
How do you have the speakers placed?
How far back are you sitting?
Can you describer the room they are in (carpet on the floors? Lots of glass? Size of the room), etc?
Have you checked all your wiring and ensured nothing is wired out of phase?
Can you describe the settings in your Onkyo amp? Speakers set to large, bass settings, EQ, etc?
post #50771 of 50776 Old Today, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have some questions as I'm wiring for my home theater now.

1) I'm building boxes for the 5800 CII ceiling speakers. What is the minimum clearance of the magnet to the back of the box? Can it be within 1/4"? Right now the initial box I built is 24" long, 12" wide and 6" deep, which is pretty much the depth of that speaker.

2) I am running 12 gauge wire for the front, center, surrounds, rears and ceiling. Should I run the same wire for the two SW115's, or is there a different type of wire or cable I should use for these?

3) Since the DVR (Denon 6300) only has one input per channel for the subs, and I want to be able to install a rear sub later on down the road, would I use a splitter off of "sub 1" for the fronts and use the "sub 2" input for the rear, or is there a better way to pre-wire this?

Thanks in advance!
post #50772 of 50776 Old Today, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
How do you have the speakers placed?
How far back are you sitting?
Can you describer the room they are in (carpet on the floors? Lots of glass? Size of the room), etc?
Have you checked all your wiring and ensured nothing is wired out of phase?
Can you describe the settings in your Onkyo amp? Speakers set to large, bass settings, EQ, etc?
The speakers are on each side of the stand I have the amp and DVD on and are 8-10 inches away from the wall. My amp is set at flat response and loudness is on. My room is about 15x10 and there are two windows. I'm sitting back about 8 ft from them. I was told that Onkyo isn't a good match for the klipsch speakers. Neither is Yamaha. I was told my best bet would be Marantz, Rotel, and Parasound. I'm wondering if the amp is the problem?
post #50773 of 50776 Old Today, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
The speakers are on each side of the stand I have the amp and DVD on and are 8-10 inches away from the wall. My amp is set at flat response and loudness is on. My room is about 15x10 and there are two windows. I'm sitting back about 8 ft from them. I was told that Onkyo isn't a good match for the Klipsch speakers. Neither is Yamaha. I was told my best bet would be Marantz, Rotel, and Parasound. I'm wondering if the amp is the problem?
It sounds like, for one, that the towers are too close. If you're 8' away from them, then they should be 8' away from each other, toed in toward the central main listening position. My towers intersect just behind my head. Also, the distance your speakers are from the front wall is the minimum closest distance. Can you move them out another foot?

I typically call BS on supposed differences in mainstream amplification of the same dollar and time of manufacturing; ie; Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, so don't expect much there. However, none of these should sound bad either. Unless there's something wrong with the A7 it should sound fine too. The Oppo DAC and overall build is centered for DVD viewing and less for CDs. See if you can't do an in-home demo on a decent dedicated CD player, it should make a huge difference. Don't use blister pack interconnects, make sure they are coax, but you shouldn't need to go nuts.

NAD, Rotel, Parasound are more of a mid-fi level that could see some gains, especially at louder volumes. But YMMV.

"Most theories on audio and audio reproduction will be proven wrong only when the laws of physics change."
post #50774 of 50776 Old Today, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticbowman View Post
I have some questions as I'm wiring for my home theater now.

3) Since the DVR (Denon 6300) only has one input per channel for the subs, and I want to be able to install a rear sub later on down the road, would I use a splitter off of "sub 1" for the fronts and use the "sub 2" input for the rear, or is there a better way to pre-wire this?

Thanks in advance!
If your AVR has only one subwoofer output and you want dual subs then just get Y adapter splitter so you can run 2 RCA subwoofer cables to each sub from the Y cable. Most AVRs have 2 subwoofer outputs and its usually the same .1 signal which already has splitter built inside the AVR unit.

Another way to run duals is one rca cable from AVR to sub, and another RCA from first sub to 2nd sub if you have Line inputs and outputs on each sub.

But since you have 2 subwoofer outputs then you run each rca cable from each output to each subwoofer.

Main theater: Sony 45es, 120 inch ST screen, Panny BDT500, Rotel RMB-1075, Rotel RSP-1068, Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-160M, SVS PB13-Ultra x 2
Loft theater: Panasonic 60" plasma, Integra DTR-30.3, Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500

Last edited by ereed; Today at 01:24 PM.
post #50775 of 50776 Old Today, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
The speakers are on each side of the stand I have the amp and DVD on and are 8-10 inches away from the wall. My amp is set at flat response and loudness is on. My room is about 15x10 and there are two windows. I'm sitting back about 8 ft from them. I was told that Onkyo isn't a good match for the klipsch speakers. Neither is Yamaha. I was told my best bet would be Marantz, Rotel, and Parasound. I'm wondering if the amp is the problem?
I'm running my Klipsch on rotel amp and prepro and it sounds fantastic! My signature shows exact speakers and electronics I'm using. But Klipsch is pretty sensitive so get whatever AVR you want and you will be fine. I also have Integra AVR which is Onkyo brand and tested it on my Klipsch and it does fine as well.

Main theater: Sony 45es, 120 inch ST screen, Panny BDT500, Rotel RMB-1075, Rotel RSP-1068, Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-160M, SVS PB13-Ultra x 2
Loft theater: Panasonic 60" plasma, Integra DTR-30.3, Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
post #50776 of 50776 Old Today, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I wouldn't mind hearing a mini-review of this product if anyone purchases one. Unfortunately, there are no storefronts to go check this thing out in person.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/the-three

LG OLED65C6P
Pioneer SC-95 AVR
L/C/R: Paradigm Millenia 20 LCRs
Surrounds (4): Axiom Audio M2 In-Wall Speakers
Sub: Klipsch Reference RW-12d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , klipsch icon wf 35 floorstanding speakers , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page