Klipsch owner thread - Page 1761 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6966Likes

post #52801 of 52809 Old Today, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 1338
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Good deal, you'll like them. One point, if you play loudly, you'll want a subwoofer if you don't already have one. The RP-260's can be overdriven in the bass, in my experience. But, they sound great until you do. I've had no problem whatsoever with the RP250c. When RP280f go on sale, I'm going to get them, and move the RP-260f to surround. Don't let me scare you off by loudly, I mean REALLY EFFING LOUD.

If you do have subwoofers, I would recommend crossing all your new speakers at 80 Hz, even the towers. Then, they can do what they do best, and the subwoofers can do what they do best. If you get crazy loud like I do sometimes, the towers need to cross at 150 Hz.
Mains should be able to handle 150Hz. Unless they're satellites. Overdriven will cause distortion and possible speaker damage.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52802 of 52809 Old Today, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
I understand why you would set your crossover at 80 Hz, but what benefit do you get by crossing over your speakers to your sub at 150 Hz?
The towers distort in the mid bass as high levels, moving the crossover to 150 fixes that. It's why I'm getting 280f when they go on sale and move the 260 to surround. My experience with the RF82 II leads me to believe the RP 280f won't have this problem.

Denon AVR-4520CI
Emotiva XPA Gen3 3 channel
Klipsch RP and Reference II mish mash
SVS SB12-NSD x4
OPPO UDP-203
TiVo Roamio, sometimes buzzy Samsung Plasma
post #52803 of 52809 Old Today, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
The towers distort in the mid bass as high levels, moving the crossover to 150 fixes that. It's why I'm getting 280f when they go on sale and move the 260 to surround. My experience with the RF82 II leads me to believe the RP 280f won't have this problem.
Speakerwise that sounds like a plan, but insofar as your bass settings I agree with Mongo. I didn't catch what AVR you are using or the SPL/MV after calibration you are talking about but when you move those 260Fs to surrounds you would still want them to go lower than 150. Fwiw, I used RF-3 as surrounds for years with great results...If you listen at really loud levels or have a really big room you may not be providing enough current to your speakers and that is why they are clipping--Just my 2 cents and good luck. {Note: Another reason may be the setting you are playing material on}

post #52804 of 52809 Old Today, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Speakerwise that sounds like a plan, but insofar as your bass settings I agree with Mongo. I didn't catch what AVR you are using or the SPL/MV after calibration you are talking about but when you move those 260Fs to surrounds you would still want them to go lower than 150. Fwiw, I used RF-3 as surrounds for years with great results...If you listen at really loud levels or have a really big room you may not be providing enough current to your speakers and that is why they are clipping--Just my 2 cents and good luck. {Note: Another reason may be the setting you are playing material on}
I'm not being clear. I run my crossovers at 80. except when playing very loud music, then I set the mains crossever to 150 for the towers so that I don't damage them. When I put the 260f as surrounds, I will cross them at 80 Hz. My LCR Amp is a 300wpc Emotiva, it seems unlikely it's the problem. It's how loud I occasionally listen to music for short periods of time that is the problem.

Denon AVR-4520CI
SVS SB12-NSD x4
OPPO UDP-203
post #52805 of 52809 Old Today, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... It's how loud I occasionally listen to music for short periods of time that is the problem.
How loud are you talking about? As an example, I have my HT calibrated using Audyssey and listen to multichannel music between 16 dB to 18 dB on the MV. This gives me an average SPL between 80 to 85 dB with peaks near 100 on some material (mostly mid-90s)...

With movies we watch anywhere between -12 to -3 on the MV which gives us near THX levels at the MP. Honestly, most would consider my listening habits as a LOUD>
post #52806 of 52809 Old Today, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
How loud are you talking about? As an example, I have my HT calibrated using Audyssey and listen to multichannel music between 16 dB to 18 dB on the MV. This gives me an average SPL between 80 to 85 dB with peaks near 100 on some material (mostly mid-90s)...

With movies we watch anywhere between -12 to -3 on the MV which gives us near THX levels at the MP. Honestly, most would consider my listening habits as a LOUD>
agreed, I listen a -2db to +2db

RF7II Fronts & Wides RC64II Center RB61II Heights & Surround back RF82II surrounds 2X Elemental design 15" subs Denon X7200WA 2X Emotiva XPA-5 epson 5040ub & 138" screen panny UD900 Full GIK treatments
post #52807 of 52809 Old Today, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
slightly less with 280 but still there, eexact reasonI went with (4) RF7II and no distortion. Took sound to new level. If your expecting a big difference between RF82II and the 280 you will not be very happy. They 280 are a bit less harsh, but less dynamic. Neither will compare to the RF7II. You like music get them man, find B stock and save big $$$$

RF7II Fronts & Wides RC64II Center RB61II Heights & Surround back RF82II surrounds 2X Elemental design 15" subs Denon X7200WA 2X Emotiva XPA-5 epson 5040ub & 138" screen panny UD900 Full GIK treatments
post #52808 of 52809 Old Today, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
agreed, I listen a -2db to +2db
The Highest MVwise material I've listened to is the TALKING HEADS "Stop Making Sense" DVD, which we play at +3 to get the 82+ average SPL threshold...On Blu-ray concerts the loudest by far (again, MVwise) is ROBERT PLANT and BAND OF JOY which we play at -3 before it gets "too loud."

Most DVD-As and SACDs I listen at -16 to -18 pretty religiously and don't notice too many that go beyond that range to accomplish adequate SPLs.
post #52809 of 52809 Old Today, 03:51 PM

Quote:

I don't know, I've never measure it. I haven't gone the REW route, although I could grab my 20 year old RS SPL meter, and put some batteries in it to give me an idea. I tried to measure it on my phone, but seems to be limited to only 80 db. I'm pretty sure I'm partially deaf. I'm not sh*tting on the RP 260f, I'm sure I'm pushing them past their design limits.

Denon AVR-4520CI
SVS SB12-NSD x4
OPPO UDP-203
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , klipsch icon wf 35 floorstanding speakers , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black