Klipsch owner thread - Page 1790 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7546Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #53671 of 53894 Old 09-14-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 3,429
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp View Post
What are you guys using for feet on the SW-15?

I want to decouple mu sub from the cartpet which is on a concrete slab. The feet most recommend from Parts-Express, you have to screw them into the bottom of the sub. Thats not happening.

The ones I am using now are barely holding the sub up and they aren't strong enough to hold the weight. What are you guys using/suggest?


Here's what I am using now:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Waxman-4-Pa...r-Tips/3032995
Yeah, no.

Try this: https://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Acous...rds=subdude+ii
ceptorman likes this.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
Mongo171 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #53672 of 53894 Old 09-14-2017, 11:52 AM
Senior Member
 
sddp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
Gramma and Subdude did cross my mind, but it doesn't completely de-couple the sub off a carpet. I know they are great for wood/laminate/hard floors.


I'm thinking something like this, but WAY beefier. The Klipsch 15" sub is quite big and heavy

https://www.amazon.com/LuguLake-Blue...subwoofer+feet

Epson 5040UBE | DENON X6400H | XBOX ONE S\PS4 | EMOTIVA XPA-7 GEN 2 |EMOTIVA XPA 3 GEN 3 | ELITE SCREEN 150" ZEREO EDGE W/LED KIT
KLIPSCH L&R RF-7II | CENTER RC64II | HEIGHTS RB-81II | 4 SURROUNDS RS-62II | 2 CDT-5800 | SUBS R112SW, R12SW & 2 x R115SW
VEFXI 3D-BEE DIAMOND (2D TO 3D CONVERTER) | DARBE VISION DVP-500S | LOGITECH HARMONY 800
sddp is offline  
post #53673 of 53894 Old 09-14-2017, 01:50 PM
Member
 
clarkkent06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
I don't think that's big enough for a 15" sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp View Post
Gramma and Subdude did cross my mind, but it doesn't completely de-couple the sub off a carpet. I know they are great for wood/laminate/hard floors.


I'm thinking something like this, but WAY beefier. The Klipsch 15" sub is quite big and heavy

https://www.amazon.com/LuguLake-Blue...subwoofer+feet
I have an R-115SW and I used these in the corners, seems to work well and it's cheap https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 they haven't deformed at all in the 6 months they've been under the sub

SVS makes Soundpath feet for their subs, would be worth asking them if it would work in your application https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NCSQ5GK...a-307041973422
clarkkent06 is offline  
 
post #53674 of 53894 Old 09-14-2017, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 3,429
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent06 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
I don't think that's big enough for a 15" sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp View Post
Gramma and Subdude did cross my mind, but it doesn't completely de-couple the sub off a carpet. I know they are great for wood/laminate/hard floors.


I'm thinking something like this, but WAY beefier. The Klipsch 15" sub is quite big and heavy

https://www.amazon.com/LuguLake-Blue...subwoofer+feet
I have an R-115SW and I used these in the corners, seems to work well and it's cheap https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 they haven't deformed at all in the 6 months they've been under the sub

SVS makes Soundpath feet for their subs, would be worth asking them if it would work in your application https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NCSQ5GK...a-307041973422
The SubDude HT is bigger.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
Mongo171 is offline  
post #53675 of 53894 Old 09-15-2017, 11:49 AM
Member
 
clarkkent06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
The SubDude HT is bigger.
R-115SW is still bigger than the HT, but wouldn't overhang too much. Would probably work
clarkkent06 is offline  
post #53676 of 53894 Old 09-15-2017, 12:04 PM
Senior Member
 
sddp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent06 View Post
R-115SW is still bigger than the HT, but wouldn't overhang too much. Would probably work
Thank you everyone for your replys, as I am sure it'll help others researching this topic.

I am looking to de-couple the speaker as much as possible off the carpet. In my Sig you can see I have 3 Klipsch subs. The foam pads just reduce/abosrb the energy going into the floor. Spikes or round rubber on each 4 corners would reduce that far more by decoupling All the ones I have seen require you to screw them in to the bottom.

Epson 5040UBE | DENON X6400H | XBOX ONE S\PS4 | EMOTIVA XPA-7 GEN 2 |EMOTIVA XPA 3 GEN 3 | ELITE SCREEN 150" ZEREO EDGE W/LED KIT
KLIPSCH L&R RF-7II | CENTER RC64II | HEIGHTS RB-81II | 4 SURROUNDS RS-62II | 2 CDT-5800 | SUBS R112SW, R12SW & 2 x R115SW
VEFXI 3D-BEE DIAMOND (2D TO 3D CONVERTER) | DARBE VISION DVP-500S | LOGITECH HARMONY 800
sddp is offline  
post #53677 of 53894 Old 09-15-2017, 12:46 PM
Senior Member
 
sddp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I think I found a solution, let me know what you guys think of this:


https://meniscusaudio.com/product/ou...pike-set-of-4/

Epson 5040UBE | DENON X6400H | XBOX ONE S\PS4 | EMOTIVA XPA-7 GEN 2 |EMOTIVA XPA 3 GEN 3 | ELITE SCREEN 150" ZEREO EDGE W/LED KIT
KLIPSCH L&R RF-7II | CENTER RC64II | HEIGHTS RB-81II | 4 SURROUNDS RS-62II | 2 CDT-5800 | SUBS R112SW, R12SW & 2 x R115SW
VEFXI 3D-BEE DIAMOND (2D TO 3D CONVERTER) | DARBE VISION DVP-500S | LOGITECH HARMONY 800
sddp is offline  
post #53678 of 53894 Old 09-15-2017, 12:56 PM
Member
 
clarkkent06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp View Post
I think I found a solution, let me know what you guys think of this:


https://meniscusaudio.com/product/ou...pike-set-of-4/
Interesting! Looks good, and $15 is cheap
clarkkent06 is offline  
post #53679 of 53894 Old 09-15-2017, 06:08 PM
Member
 
Jaad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
RP 140SA or RP 160M to use for atmos

I been going back and forth trying to figure out what would be the best speakers (for my application of Atmos.)

I currently have Klipsch RP setup with 160F Front, 450C, 160M for surrounds. I recently purchased an Anthem MRX 1120 which is 11 channels and looking for backs and 4 Atmos. My thinking was to go with the 140SA and mount them high on the wall (I have a cathedral ceiling by the way) and get another pair of 160M for the back channel. But them I was thinking... if I am going on the wall why not get better sounding speakers instead of the 140SA???

can anyone who owns 140sa able to tell me how they sound by themselves? there is no where in my area where I can go to hear them. HOw do they compare in sound quality compared to the 160M?
Jaad is offline  
post #53680 of 53894 Old 09-15-2017, 06:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaad View Post
I been going back and forth trying to figure out what would be the best speakers (for my application of Atmos.)

I currently have Klipsch RP setup with 160F Front, 450C, 160M for surrounds. I recently purchased an Anthem MRX 1120 which is 11 channels and looking for backs and 4 Atmos. My thinking was to go with the 140SA and mount them high on the wall (I have a cathedral ceiling by the way) and get another pair of 160M for the back channel. But them I was thinking... if I am going on the wall why not get better sounding speakers instead of the 140SA???

can anyone who owns 140sa able to tell me how they sound by themselves? there is no where in my area where I can go to hear them. HOw do they compare in sound quality compared to the 160M?
The 140SA Atmos speakers are easy to hang on the wall. I am attaching some pictures of how I positioned mine. I figured the sound would angle down to the main listening positions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0081.JPG (968.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0080.JPG (1.04 MB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0083.JPG (909.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0082.JPG (1.22 MB, 59 views)

Last edited by Steam King; 09-15-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Steam King is offline  
post #53681 of 53894 Old 09-15-2017, 06:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam King View Post
The 140SA Atmos speakers are easy to hang on the wall. I am attaching some pictures of how I positioned mine. I figured the sound would angle down to the main listening positions.
Nice! How do they sound as hight speakers? Are they too directional for atmos?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
dprizal is offline  
post #53682 of 53894 Old 09-15-2017, 06:54 PM
Member
 
Jaad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam King View Post
The 140SA Atmos speakers are easy to hang on the wall. I am attaching some pictures of how I positioned mine. I figured the sound would angle down to the main listening positions.
that is so uncanny. You have the same setup I was imagining for myself with your atmos. The question then is how do they sound in that configuration? Also, how do they sound compared to your 250S(I think thats what you have in the corner for surround?) if you had to do it all over again, would you get 140sa again or you would get another couple of set of 250S?
Jaad is offline  
post #53683 of 53894 Old 09-15-2017, 07:27 PM
Newbie
 
southerngent77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Gray, Georgia
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighAltHD View Post
RP-280's versus RP-260's?

I have about a 13x17 family room these are going in. However, the room is essentially open to a dining room, alley kitchen, and another room that's probably about 12x15. All 8 foot ceilings. 5.1 setup. Receiver is a Denon 3808ci. I also have a Polk PSW 505. I already ordered the RP-450C for the center.

These have to be pretty close to the wall the TV is mounted on - probably 4-5 inches or so - because of room traffic. Will that be an issue?

Any recommendations on 280s versus 260s? Content would mostly be lame TV my wife watches, sports, movies via on demand and blu ray. Music listening would only be about 5-10% of their use. Main reason I'm asking is due to the smaller footprint, the 260's may just "fit" better (plus they're cheaper), but in reality, either one would likely be fine (unless these are not a good option being so close to the wall).

Thanks!
Being "up against the wall" is not ideal for any speaker, though it is the reality for 99% of my clients. Given your room size, described use, and the space limitation of their location I would go with the 260s. The dominant TV/movie use of this system will get far more use out of the center and sub. Once EQ'd and the bass management kicks in, you likely would hear little difference between the two options. I really like the pairing of the Denon with Klipsch. Take the savings and stick it away for adding your rears or upgrading your sub in the future. Great foundation for a very enjoyable system!
ceptorman likes this.
southerngent77 is offline  
post #53684 of 53894 Old 09-16-2017, 06:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I need help with a possible dilemma....I currently have RF-3's that I bought new in 2000. Over the years they have been beaten up between moving and kids. I've recently found a pair of Heresy II that appear to be in perfect shape. The price seems to a bit high at $625, but the crossover and tweets were upgraded from Bob Crites and they have matching stands. For 20 years now I've wanted the La Scala's. Due to size dimensions and wife, the La Scala's are unobtainable. So my question is, are the Heresy's closer to the RF-3's or the La Scala's? Will the Heresy's have the "clarity" of the La Scala's? I understand they won't compare to the La Scala's, I just want to know if they are any bit of an upgrade to what I have? I also have Outlaw UltraX12 and SVS SB12 subwoofers to pair with them. Thanks for any input.....Mark
mprowland is offline  
post #53685 of 53894 Old 09-16-2017, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 3,429
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by dprizal View Post
Nice! How do they sound as hight speakers? Are they too directional for atmos?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Atmos speakers are supposed to be directional.
Louis Bartay likes this.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
Mongo171 is offline  
post #53686 of 53894 Old 09-16-2017, 08:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dprizal View Post
Nice! How do they sound as hight speakers? Are they too directional for atmos?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
I can definitely hear them. I just didn't think they would be firing in the right direction to my seating position if I hung them on the back wall. I figured the sound would still come from above positioned the way they are now.
Steam King is offline  
post #53687 of 53894 Old 09-16-2017, 08:48 AM
Member
 
Jaad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam King View Post
I can definitely hear them. I just didn't think they would be firing in the right direction to my seating position if I hung them on the back wall. I figured the sound would still come from above positioned the way they are now.
But how does the 140SA sound? Side by side comparison lets say with your surround speakers? In my case I am going to duplicate the positioning of my atmos speakers as you have them. the only thing I am wondering is the sound quality of the 140sa. The 160M are less than a hundred dollars a pair but looks on the wall wouldn't be as good as the 140sa if you think about home esthetics. I figured being that the 160M have a much bigger box and different drivers... even if crossover is set to 150 they might sound better, but I don't know that. I am just wondering if it would make that much of a difference if I use one model over the other.
Jaad is offline  
post #53688 of 53894 Old 09-16-2017, 09:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaad View Post
that is so uncanny. You have the same setup I was imagining for myself with your atmos. The question then is how do they sound in that configuration? Also, how do they sound compared to your 250S(I think thats what you have in the corner for surround?) if you had to do it all over again, would you get 140sa again or you would get another couple of set of 250S?
Here is what happened. I had an old 50" Samsung DLP and a $300 Samsung 5.1 home Theater in a box. After researching for countless hours I recently bought the LG 65 C7, Marantz SR6011, Oppo 203, and the following speakers:

Klipsch Reference Premiere 5.2.4

Two - RP-280F Floor Standing Fronts

One - RP-450C Center

Two - RP-250S Surrounds

Two - R-112SW Subwoofers with 2 - WA-2 wireless subwoofer kits

Four - RP-140SA Dolby Atmos speakers

My original intent was to just go with two 140SA Atmos speakers and set the on top of the front 280F speakers so they would fire up. My wife didn't like me getting big speakers to begin with and when I set the atmos speakers on top of the fronts, she didn't like that, especially since that interfered with using the light switch. I was also unsure of an adequate bounce off the popcorn ceiling so I hung the 2 atmos speakers at the top of the front wall. Once I did that it was easier to envision 2 more atmos speakers so when I found an open box deal I bought them. Fortunately I had not purchased the Marantz SR5011 as I had planned. Now with the 5.2.4 I needed the SR6011 to provide the needed channels.

Keep in mind what I had before and being inexperienced in good home theater, my ear is not on par with most on this forum, but I am tickled pink with what I hear now. Even my wife has come around after giving me nothing but guff during the whole process.

So I guess in answer to your question, with my situation, I would still get these speakers.
vn800art likes this.
Steam King is offline  
post #53689 of 53894 Old 09-16-2017, 09:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaad View Post
But how does the 140SA sound? Side by side comparison lets say with your surround speakers? In my case I am going to duplicate the positioning of my atmos speakers as you have them. the only thing I am wondering is the sound quality of the 140sa. The 160M are less than a hundred dollars a pair but looks on the wall wouldn't be as good as the 140sa if you think about home esthetics. I figured being that the 160M have a much bigger box and different drivers... even if crossover is set to 150 they might sound better, but I don't know that. I am just wondering if it would make that much of a difference if I use one model over the other.
You might get more sound out of the bigger speakers, but if my memory serves me, I thought I read that the atmos specific speakers provided a more directional sound that was needed for best effect. Perhaps someone else who is more experienced can confirm whether this is so or not.

I do seem to hear the side surrounds more than the heights, but they are closer to my ears and movies naturally would have more content coming from the side rather than overhead.

One question I asked myself is if I should have gone with the 160 rather than the 250 bipoole instead as my surround. But with no room for rear speakers I thought the 250 might give me a similar affect, plus I thought they looked cool. 😊
Steam King is offline  
post #53690 of 53894 Old 09-16-2017, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Louis Bartay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,718
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprowland View Post
I need help with a possible dilemma....I currently have RF-3's that I bought new in 2000. Over the years they have been beaten up between moving and kids. I've recently found a pair of Heresy II that appear to be in perfect shape. The price seems to a bit high at $625, but the crossover and tweets were upgraded from Bob Crites and they have matching stands. For 20 years now I've wanted the La Scala's. Due to size dimensions and wife, the La Scala's are unobtainable. So my question is, are the Heresy's closer to the RF-3's or the La Scala's? Will the Heresy's have the "clarity" of the La Scala's? I understand they won't compare to the La Scala's, I just want to know if they are any bit of an upgrade to what I have? I also have Outlaw UltraX12 and SVS SB12 subwoofers to pair with them. Thanks for any input.....Mark
The Heresy II with Crites mods will sound a lot more like a LaScala then the RF-3. In a large room the the HII will not have the clarity the larger horns of the LaScala. But they will get close when cranked up and with a sub I have Crites mods (CT-125 & X/O) in my Cornwalls and soon I will do the same to my HII. IMHO $625.00 is not way out of line with Crites tweeters and if the owner re-capped or replaced the X/O too, you are good for decades of good music.
ceptorman likes this.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II,
Klipsch Sub 12 X 3
SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD PS3
Louis Bartay is offline  
post #53691 of 53894 Old 09-16-2017, 10:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post
The Heresy II with Crites mods will sound a lot more like a LaScala then the RF-3. In a large room the the HII will not have the clarity the larger horns of the LaScala. But they will get close when cranked up and with a sub I have Crites mods (CT-125 & X/O) in my Cornwalls and soon I will do the same to my HII. IMHO $625.00 is not way out of line with Crites tweeters and if the owner re-capped or replaced the X/O too, you are good for decades of good music.
Thank You!! This is exactly what I needed to know!!
Louis Bartay likes this.
mprowland is offline  
post #53692 of 53894 Old 09-16-2017, 11:08 AM
Member
 
Jaad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam King View Post
You might get more sound out of the bigger speakers, but if my memory serves me, I thought I read that the atmos specific speakers provided a more directional sound that was needed for best effect. Perhaps someone else who is more experienced can confirm whether this is so or not.

I do seem to hear the side surrounds more than the heights, but they are closer to my ears and movies naturally would have more content coming from the side rather than overhead.

One question I asked myself is if I should have gone with the 160 rather than the 250 bipoole instead as my surround. But with no room for rear speakers I thought the 250 might give me a similar affect, plus I thought they looked cool. 😊
Well I'm almost certain that atmos speakers should lose themselves in the enveloping overall sound of it all. I don't think you should hear each speaker but instead as a whole floating above your head is what my guts tells me. I'm like you, I am not as advanced as some of the other members in here. I have a solid background with how I would like my sound on stage with my guitar but the PA system that drives my sound has always been left to professionals who know what they are doing.

You mentioned having a 450c, I used to have a 250C and found the 450C having so much more life and character and reason why I am thinking I will feel the same about the 140sa being inferior in sound quality compared to the 160M. THe only reason why I don't jump on the 160M right away is because I built an entertainment center with the exact measurement to fit a couple of 140sa and a couple more in the back like you have on the side walls. if I go with he 160M i would have to hang them beside the entertainment center because they wont fit and I personally think that they are not going to look all that great compared to the more subtle 140sa.

I don't know enough to make an educated decision yet. if I only could hear the dammed speaker that would make thing so much easier lol. Can you believe a big city like Vancouver Canada with no stores with 140SA to audition?
Jaad is offline  
post #53693 of 53894 Old 09-16-2017, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 3,429
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
Dolby Atmos as explained by Dolby.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...tup/index.html
Louis Bartay likes this.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
Mongo171 is offline  
post #53694 of 53894 Old 09-17-2017, 07:39 PM
Member
 
bigapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam King View Post
Here is what happened. I had an old 50" Samsung DLP and a $300 Samsung 5.1 home Theater in a box. After researching for countless hours I recently bought the LG 65 C7, Marantz SR6011, Oppo 203, and the following speakers:

Klipsch Reference Premiere 5.2.4

Two - RP-280F Floor Standing Fronts

One - RP-450C Center

Two - RP-250S Surrounds

Two - R-112SW Subwoofers with 2 - WA-2 wireless subwoofer kits

Four - RP-140SA Dolby Atmos speakers

My original intent was to just go with two 140SA Atmos speakers and set the on top of the front 280F speakers so they would fire up. My wife didn't like me getting big speakers to begin with and when I set the atmos speakers on top of the fronts, she didn't like that, especially since that interfered with using the light switch. I was also unsure of an adequate bounce off the popcorn ceiling so I hung the 2 atmos speakers at the top of the front wall. Once I did that it was easier to envision 2 more atmos speakers so when I found an open box deal I bought them. Fortunately I had not purchased the Marantz SR5011 as I had planned. Now with the 5.2.4 I needed the SR6011 to provide the needed channels.

Keep in mind what I had before and being inexperienced in good home theater, my ear is not on par with most on this forum, but I am tickled pink with what I hear now. Even my wife has come around after giving me nothing but guff during the whole process.

So I guess in answer to your question, with my situation, I would still get these speakers.
Find the Dolby Leaf demo in Atmos and play it. The flutter sound should just circle around you and not jump from speaker to speaker.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

LG 65" C7 OLED. Oppo 203. Denon 4300. Klipsch RP280af, 260f, 440c, 140AF. HSU 15-mk2. Layer 3 TV, Shield and a Blue Tick Healer
bigapp is offline  
post #53695 of 53894 Old 09-17-2017, 09:31 PM
Member
 
Jaad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
underpowered amp with speakers

Another question for all you fine people

I have had a home theater with a 5.2.2 setup for about a year and half. I recently purchased a new receiver and now have the ability to get 7.2.4 setup. The new receiver powers everything, I am not running separates. The fronts, center and surrounds are powered at a rate of 140 watts each channel with an A/B amp but the back and Atmos are only getting 60 watts through a D amp. I have been researching for a few months what would be the ideal setup that I can afford. So far I have the RP-260F, RP-250C, RP-160M and two R-110SW. I was thinking of getting another pair of RP-160M for the backs and 2 pairs of RP-140SA mounted as height speakers. 2 in the front and 2 in the back. The RP-140SA are rated at 50 watts but the RP-160M are rated at 100w.
I would say I watch movies at reference level most of the time while music is somewhat listened to at a lower level but I do crank the volume once in a while. I do not intend to have the height speakers playing on the music listening mode but would definitely would like the back channel to play. You see any problem with that kind of setup? Will I tax the little D amp that powers the back channel or it should be ok? I know I can damage speakers and amp more if I the amp ends up clipping and not sure what that will do to the speakers themselves. Are there people here with a better understanding and knowledge in acoustics?

"A goal without a plan is just a wish." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Jaad is offline  
post #53696 of 53894 Old 09-18-2017, 10:41 AM
Member
 
clarkkent06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaad View Post
Another question for all you fine people

I have had a home theater with a 5.2.2 setup for about a year and half. I recently purchased a new receiver and now have the ability to get 7.2.4 setup. The new receiver powers everything, I am not running separates. The fronts, center and surrounds are powered at a rate of 140 watts each channel with an A/B amp but the back and Atmos are only getting 60 watts through a D amp. I have been researching for a few months what would be the ideal setup that I can afford. So far I have the RP-260F, RP-250C, RP-160M and two R-110SW. I was thinking of getting another pair of RP-160M for the backs and 2 pairs of RP-140SA mounted as height speakers. 2 in the front and 2 in the back. The RP-140SA are rated at 50 watts but the RP-160M are rated at 100w.
I would say I watch movies at reference level most of the time while music is somewhat listened to at a lower level but I do crank the volume once in a while. I do not intend to have the height speakers playing on the music listening mode but would definitely would like the back channel to play. You see any problem with that kind of setup? Will I tax the little D amp that powers the back channel or it should be ok? I know I can damage speakers and amp more if I the amp ends up clipping and not sure what that will do to the speakers themselves. Are there people here with a better understanding and knowledge in acoustics?
I'm confused, you first say the new receiver powers everything, no separates. Then you go on to state that you do use separates, front uses a 140 watt A/B amp and back atmos use a 60 watt D amp? What receiver do you have?
clarkkent06 is offline  
post #53697 of 53894 Old 09-18-2017, 10:45 AM
Member
 
Scars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent06 View Post
I'm confused, you first say the new receiver powers everything, no separates. Then you go on to state that you do use separates, front uses a 140 watt A/B amp and back atmos use a 60 watt D amp? What receiver do you have?
I think the Athem MRX 1120 and 720 might use both A/B and D amplification.
https://www.anthemav.com/products-cu...120/page=specs

Media Room 5.2: Marantz SR5010; Klipsch RP-280F (L/R), RP-450C (C), RP-250S (SL/SR), R-112SW (2x SW); LG OLED65B7A; Samsung UBD-K8500; Sony Playstation 4 Pro; Roku Premiere+
Scars is offline  
post #53698 of 53894 Old 09-18-2017, 10:59 AM
Member
 
Jaad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent06 View Post
I'm confused, you first say the new receiver powers everything, no separates. Then you go on to state that you do use separates, front uses a 140 watt A/B amp and back atmos use a 60 watt D amp? What receiver do you have?
Anthem MRX 1120

"A goal without a plan is just a wish." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Jaad is offline  
post #53699 of 53894 Old 09-18-2017, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,039
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
I think the Athem MRX 1120 and 720 might use both A/B and D amplification.
https://www.anthemav.com/products-cu...120/page=specs
I believe what he is saying is he currently use separates, but with the Anthem 1120 he wouldn't need them maybe.

@Jaad , is that what you are saying? Just trying to clarify. If so you should be able to use you amps if you like or the AVR's. I wouldn't think the 60 watts to the rear height speakers you are talking about would hurt them. Klipsch are pretty good at taking what ever you through at them. I have been pumping 200 watts to RS-3 surrounds for over 20 years and they are still going fine. Continued is 50 watts, but it will handle 200 max. I think you would be ok in that there is always high volumes coning out of the surrounds or heights I believe during a movie.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is online now  
post #53700 of 53894 Old 09-18-2017, 11:41 AM
Member
 
Jaad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I believe what he is saying is he currently use separates, but with the Anthem 1120 he wouldn't need them maybe.

@Jaad , is that what you are saying? Just trying to clarify. If so you should be able to use you amps if you like or the AVR's. I wouldn't think the 60 watts to the rear height speakers you are talking about would hurt them. Klipsch are pretty good at taking what ever you through at them. I have been pumping 200 watts to RS-3 surrounds for over 20 years and they are still going fine. Continued is 50 watts, but it will handle 200 max. I think you would be ok in that there is always high volumes coning out of the surrounds or heights I believe during a movie.
No, as I mentioned I am not using separates. The new receiver that I purchased powers 11 channels. it powers fronts, center, surrounds and subs at 140watt while using an A/B type of amp. the height speakers and back channel is powered still by the receiver but uses another amp that of the D type at 60 watts.

One volume control for all 11 channels.

To clarify:

what I am wondering about is my back speakers are rated at 100 Watts. All my speakers are rated 100-125 watts by the way aside from the 50 watts that will go up for atmos. I won't have any problem driving all of them with the receiver that is for sure. what I am wondering about the most is if I start cranking the volume on the amp am I asking too much of the D type amp of the receiver to power my back channel at a level that will keep up with the fronts which is powers by an A/B amp? There will be some clipping happening for sure at high DB, yes?

"A goal without a plan is just a wish." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Jaad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , klipsch icon wf 35 floorstanding speakers , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off