Klipsch owner thread - Page 1791 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7453Likes

post #53701 of 53724 Old 09-18-2017, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaad View Post
No, as I mentioned I am not using separates. The new receiver that I purchased powers 11 channels. it powers fronts, center, surrounds and subs at 140watt while using an A/B type of amp. the height speakers and back channel is powered still by the receiver but uses another amp that of the D type at 60 watts.

One volume control for all 11 channels.

To clarify:

what I am wondering about is my back speakers are rated at 100 Watts. All my speakers are rated 100-125 watts by the way aside from the 50 watts that will go up for atmos. I won't have any problem driving all of them with the receiver that is for sure. what I am wondering about the most is if I start cranking the volume on the amp am I asking too much of the D type amp of the receiver to power my back channel at a level that will keep up with the fronts which is powers by an A/B amp? There will be some clipping happening for sure at high DB, yes?
No I am confused. Is the A/B amp and the D amp plugged into the 1120 to power the fronts and the back channels? If you have anything plugged into the receiver to power the speakers that is a separate. Are you referring to switching in and out of 2 channel for music to going 5.1 or 7.1? The Anthem like other AVR's will only put out 140 per channel to the front main speakers when in stereo. When you switch to going 5.X to 7.X the power is lowered by a certain percentage and you will not get the full 140 watts out of the front. The other channels are lowered as well I believe. The Klipsch speakers you have should be able to handle what ever the AVR can put out. If it can't you can always get a bigger Anthem 7 channel and 4 channel amp to push more sound, but remember, if you are at 50 watts max, you will have to go to 100 watts to notice any kind of difference.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #53702 of 53724 Old 09-18-2017, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
No, as I mentioned I am not using separates. The new receiver that I purchased powers 11 channels. it powers fronts, center, surrounds and subs at 140watt while using an A/B type of amp. the height speakers and back channel is powered still by the receiver but uses another amp that of the D type at 60 watts.

One volume control for all 11 channels.

To clarify:

what I am wondering about is my back speakers are rated at 100 Watts. All my speakers are rated 100-125 watts by the way aside from the 50 watts that will go up for atmos. I won't have any problem driving all of them with the receiver that is for sure. what I am wondering about the most is if I start cranking the volume on the amp am I asking too much of the D type amp of the receiver to power my back channel at a level that will keep up with the fronts which is powers by an A/B amp? There will be some clipping happening for sure at high DB, yes?
Underpowering your speakers can be problematic, which is what I think you're concerned with. There is a risk.. it's a very small risk.. but there is a risk that you'll send a clipped signal to your speakers and have a serious problem. It's not clear to me at what volume you'd have to be at for that to occur, though.

I'd search some threads for underpower risks.

Media Room 5.2: Marantz SR5010; Klipsch RP-280F (L/R), RP-450C (C), RP-250S (SL/SR), R-112SW (2x SW); Samsung UN65JU6500; Samsung UBD-K8500; Roku Premiere+
post #53703 of 53724 Old 09-18-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
No I am confused. Is the A/B amp and the D amp plugged into the 1120 to power the fronts and the back channels? If you have anything plugged into the receiver to power the speakers that is a separate. Are you referring to switching in and out of 2 channel for music to going 5.1 or 7.1? The Anthem like other AVR's will only put out 140 per channel to the front main speakers when in stereo. When you switch to going 5.X to 7.X the power is lowered by a certain percentage and you will not get the full 140 watts out of the front. The other channels are lowered as well I believe. The Klipsch speakers you have should be able to handle what ever the AVR can put out. If it can't you can always get a bigger Anthem 7 channel and 4 channel amp to push more sound, but remember, if you are at 50 watts max, you will have to go to 100 watts to notice any kind of difference.
The 1120 uses both A/B and D amplification. It's described on their website.

Media Room 5.2: Marantz SR5010; Klipsch RP-280F (L/R), RP-450C (C), RP-250S (SL/SR), R-112SW (2x SW); Samsung UN65JU6500; Samsung UBD-K8500; Roku Premiere+

post #53704 of 53724 Old 09-18-2017, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
The 1120 uses both A/B and D amplification. It's described on their website.

I was just on their website and didn't see anything about a A/B Amp and a D amp. I did see that at 8 Ohms channels 1-5 will be 140 watts and the Remaining 2 6 watts if that's what you mean?

Wouldn't he have to turn it up pretty far for it to clip? That would be to load for me, but I am old and to much hearing loss so I don't crank it anymore.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #53705 of 53724 Old 09-18-2017, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
Underpowering your speakers can be problematic, which is what I think you're concerned with. ...
I'd search some threads for underpower risks.
YES!!!! that is exactly what I am worried about. There is an awful lot on the reverse overpowering speakers with too big an amp but very little about under powering speakers. I will try to use your search criteria. maybe I will get better luck at finding info on the subject. thanks a bunch mate.

"A goal without a plan is just a wish." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #53706 of 53724 Old 09-18-2017, 01:22 PM

Here is what I found:

Good chance I asked because by the sound of it "Under powering speakers" can potentially damage speakers even more than over powering them.

check out this post and response from MikeH on AvForum
https://www.avforums.com/threads/how...peakers.47762/

post #53707 of 53724 Old 09-18-2017, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Here is what I found:

Good chance I asked because by the sound of it "Under powering speakers" can potentially damage speakers even more than over powering them.

check out this post and response from MikeH on AvForum
https://www.avforums.com/threads/how...peakers.47762/
Gotcha (after seeing your receiver). Didn't even know they made such a thing, pretty cool receiver.

Correct, underpowering can cause more damage than overpowering. Which is why it's generally a good idea to overpower than underpower (you can always turn it down). That atmos channels shouldn't draw as much power as the 5 ground speakers, but since you're running them at reference...I'm not sure on the answer to that.

Klipsch speakers are pretty efficient, which makes them easier to drive, so if they were my speakers I would listen for clipping and not worry about it, but up to you on what you feel comfortable with.
Louis Bartay likes this.
post #53708 of 53724 Old 09-18-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I was just on their website and didn't see anything about a A/B Amp and a D amp. I did see that at 8 Ohms channels 1-5 will be 140 watts and the Remaining 2 6 watts if that's what you mean?
I guess I saw it in the reviews and not explicitly stated on their website... my fault!

Anthem uses traditional Class AB amplification for the five main channels and Class D topology for the back surround and height channels where ultimate full-bandwidth sound quality plays a less important role, which presumably keeps the chassis a bit cooler when the unit is running full bore. https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...pxr18yA4STJ.99

The other channels (the surround backs and four overhead channels, as they would likely be configured in most systems) are Class D, 60 watts each into eight ohms and 75 watts into six ohms. This is Anthem doing the reporting, by the way, which tends to be quite conservative, so take that for what you will. https://hometheaterreview.com/anthem...iver-reviewed/

The Anthem MRX 1120 sits at the top of the Anthem receiver lineup. As the model number implies, it supports 11 channels of amplification inside of the chassis. To accomplish this it uses 140 watt Class A/B amplifiers for the five main channels and smaller 60 watt Class D amplifiers for the rears and Atmos/DTS:X channels. https://referencehometheater.com/rev...ceiver-review/

It's not obvious to me why Anthem doesn't describe that on their website, though.

Quote:
Wouldn't he have to turn it up pretty far for it to clip? That would be to load for me, but I am old and to much hearing loss so I don't crank it anymore.
That's my understanding, and it was his concern, too. Seems like you have to be pretty extreme in both volume and low wattage for this to really manifest itself... but I'm no expert.
Mongo171 likes this.

post #53709 of 53724 Old 09-18-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
YES!!!! that is exactly what I am worried about. There is an awful lot on the reverse overpowering speakers with too big an amp but very little about under powering speakers. I will try to use your search criteria. maybe I will get better luck at finding info on the subject. thanks a bunch mate.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent06 View Post
Gotcha (after seeing your receiver). Didn't even know they made such a thing, pretty cool receiver.

Correct, underpowering can cause more damage than overpowering. Which is why it's generally a good idea to overpower than underpower (you can always turn it down). That atmos channels shouldn't draw as much power as the 5 ground speakers, but since you're running them at reference...I'm not sure on the answer to that.

Klipsch speakers are pretty efficient, which makes them easier to drive, so if they were my speakers I would listen for clipping and not worry about it, but up to you on what you feel comfortable with.
Well I;m not worried about me, it;s the other people in the house that might drive the sound too loud and blow the amp lol. Personally myself I would hear it instantly. Now that I am thinking about it here is another question:

My background is with live music. I am a musician. What I learned in time was in order to get the sound that I want to get I have to drive my guitar amp to what I call the sweat-spot. it's a combination where the amp is driving a set of 4x12 speakers cabinet. Anything lower I don't get the drive, bottom end, presence, brilliance and all that. Are klipsch speakers the same? Do they need a certain amount of power to really shine? I don't have enough experience with the speakers yet to really tell.

post #53710 of 53724 Old 09-18-2017, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigapp View Post
Find the Dolby Leaf demo in Atmos and play it. The flutter sound should just circle around you and not jump from speaker to speaker.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sounds like a good plan, but I don't know how to carry it out.

I don't know where to look or how to play the Dolby leaf demo, but would like to.
post #53711 of 53724 Old 09-20-2017, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Maybe this question is irrelevant or has been answered before - if so please forgive my noobness - Is there a set "break-in time" for my new RP-280's ? I just ordered them to finally complete my setup (see sig) and should be here soon so I am anxious to get everything setup. TIA!

Center: Klipsch RP-250C Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-LX301
Fronts: Klipsch RP-280F
Surrounds: Klipsch R-15M
Atmos: Klipsch RP-140SA
Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK5
post #53712 of 53724 Old 09-20-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostedchaos View Post
Maybe this question is irrelevant or has been answered before - if so please forgive my noobness - Is there a set "break-in time" for my new RP-280's ? I just ordered them to finally complete my setup (see sig) and should be here soon so I am anxious to get everything setup. TIA!
Just play some music and enjoy it....THAT is your break in.
Boostedchaos likes this.

Theater: Sony 45es, 120 inch 16:9 screen, Panny BDT500, Rotel RMB-1075, Rotel RSP-1068, Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-160M, SVS PB13 x 2, Monster Power Conditioner, GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panasonic 60" plasma, Integra DTR-30.3, Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
post #53713 of 53724 Old 09-20-2017, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Outdoor Speakers

I know this is generally home theather, but trying to lock down some Klipsch outdoor speakers. Admittedly I haven't had a chance to listen to any of these, so any feedback would be helpful. Debating between the CP-6($350) and the AW-500 ($350).
post #53714 of 53724 Old 09-21-2017, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anyone here tried the RP280F with the RP250 center? I'd prefer the RP450 center, but theres no way it will fit in the TV stand. I was also thinking about just going with R28F and R-25C since the center will fit. I could use some of the money saved towards a nice 15" sub. This setup will be for a living room that's used mostly for watching cable, sports, and netflix.
post #53715 of 53724 Old 09-21-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk3_wagen View Post
Anyone here tried the RP280F with the RP250 center? I'd prefer the RP450 center, but theres no way it will fit in the TV stand. I was also thinking about just going with R28F and R-25C since the center will fit. I could use some of the money saved towards a nice 15" sub. This setup will be for a living room that's used mostly for watching cable, sports, and netflix.
I have a couple of RP-260F with a RP-250C at the moment and I am replacing the RP250C with a RP450C as soon as I can swing the cash for it. Personally I find the Center Channel to be the main speaker of the whole system and would spend my money on a RP450C prior to anything else in my setup. Don't get me wrong, the RP250 sounds great but the 2.5 crossover of the RP450C definitely makes a huge difference as well as the size of the box too. I would say the R-25 compares to a Toyota Corolla, The RP250C -> a Mustang, RP450C-> A Shelby Cobra.
asabrag likes this.

post #53716 of 53724 Old 09-21-2017, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Quote:
Well I;m not worried about me, it;s the other people in the house that might drive the sound too loud and blow the amp lol. Personally myself I would hear it instantly. Now that I am thinking about it here is another question:

My background is with live music. I am a musician. What I learned in time was in order to get the sound that I want to get I have to drive my guitar amp to what I call the sweat-spot. it's a combination where the amp is driving a set of 4x12 speakers cabinet. Anything lower I don't get the drive, bottom end, presence, brilliance and all that. Are klipsch speakers the same? Do they need a certain amount of power to really shine? I don't have enough experience with the speakers yet to really tell.
Your speakers don't need that much power. Some Klipsch speakers present a difficult impedance load to the amplifier at certain freqs. That is where the more robust amp power is needed.
Louis Bartay and ceptorman like this.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
post #53717 of 53724 Old 09-21-2017, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Fwiw, I have followed a few threads on the subject and it seems consensus is that underpowering your speakers isn't what harms them:

Clipped Amplifier Signals: What's correct and incorrect about this Video?

Last edited by Zen Traveler; 09-21-2017 at 05:57 PM.
post #53718 of 53724 Old 09-21-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
Fwiw, I have followed a few threads on the subject and it seems consensus is that underpowering your speakers isn't what harms them:

Clipped Amplifier Signals: What's correct and incorrect about this Video?
Great Video Dude....
I clicked the next one on the list

Although this is concentrating on speaker damage, under-powering (from what I was able to learn recently) will affect the amp a lot more than speakers. I talked to an Anthem tech who said that powering a 100Watts speaker with the 60 watts D type amplifier for my backs and ceiling speaker won't be an issue as long as I don't change the crossover frequency determined by Arc. I am obviously worried about blowing my speakers but more worried about over heating the amp in the long run. I also discovered the Max output volume setting on my amp lol. Don't laugh, I knew it was there all along, simply totally forget to set it lol.

post #53719 of 53724 Old 09-21-2017, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigorousXChris View Post
I currently have the following setup:
Atmos RP140 SA (Front and Rears)
Have you tried the 140SA In Wall instead of over the front speakers???
post #53720 of 53724 Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Klipsch 160m or 450c for center?

Hi, I'm thinking about ordering some Klipsch speakers for home theater use (a 5.1.4 setup). The 160m's will be my mains. If I can mount the center speaker behind an AT screen, should I get another 160m, or should I get a 450c?

Also, any recommendations for surrounds? Should I just use 150m or 160m's? Any recommendations for in-ceiling atmos speakers?
post #53721 of 53724 Old Today, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Anyone here using the new ATI class-D amps with their Klipsch speakers? I've read/heard that these amps don't like low impedance dips/swings too much but then this was stated to be false. Not too sure now. They also said that the 200 watt models are better at handling low ohms than the 500 watt models (which are basically bridged 200 watts modules).

Basically, I am pondering on using the 500 watts model for the RF-7 II and RC-64 III and the 200 watt model for the rest of the speakers (side surround, back surround, and the four ceiling speakers). Any comments/opinions? Are these amps a good match for Klipsch?
post #53722 of 53724 Old Today, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Anyone here using the new ATI class-D amps with their Klipsch speakers? I've read/heard that these amps don't like low impedance dips/swings too much but then this was stated to be false. Not too sure now. They also said that the 200 watt models are better at handling low ohms than the 500 watt models (which are basically bridged 200 watts modules).

Basically, I am pondering on using the 500 watts model for the RF-7 II and RC-64 III and the 200 watt model for the rest of the speakers (side surround, back surround, and the four ceiling speakers). Any comments/opinions? Are these amps a good match for Klipsch?
I use the new ATI500nc series amp with my Klipsch. No problem at all.

post #53723 of 53724 Old Today, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
I use the new ATI500nc series amp with my Klipsch. No problem at all.
Thanks.

Which Klipsch speakers do you have? Are you using the the AT52xNC (200 watt/channel) or the AT54xNC (500 watt/channel)? I'm assuming everything sounds great with the amps?
post #53724 of 53724 Old Today, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Thanks.

Which Klipsch speakers do you have? Are you using the the AT52xNC (200 watt/channel) or the AT54xNC (500 watt/channel)? I'm assuming everything sounds great with the amps?
I have Chorus II's, KLF-C7 and RS-62 II's. I'm using the AT527nc 200x7. Sounds great. No noise. Love it. Had an AT1505 before.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , klipsch icon wf 35 floorstanding speakers , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page