Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 40854 Old 02-10-2007, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRHookEm View Post

UFO: Well said. I have always felt that Klipsch was the best representation of the music's true quality. . . ...Here's a pano of my room. . . ... .Pre-wired for front and rear.

Nice living room. you should send your wife away for a weekend. it looks like there is room on the sides of TV (between the cabinet and the outside walland the fireplace) to cut holes in the walls and slide in a pair of RF 82's, then you could install a shelf above the TV for the RC-64- Sweet. Just kidding. he he You should suggest it to your wife just for fun.

Really, I think tower speakers are not an option in your room. Something narrow you can hang on the wall or probably even in-wall speakers would be the way to go. Or better yet install that shelf above the TV and put the RC-64 in there with a pair of reference bookshelf speakers as far apart as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 40854 Old 02-10-2007, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm actually considering the RVX-42 system now. I like the looks of those and the two front speakers would fit nicely on either side of the plasma. Or should they be up at the junction boxes and put the center above the plasma?

Question about the center: we don't want to add a shelf above. I want a mount that will allow it to reach the wall behind the TV. It would need to extend out about 14". Any thoughts on this type of mount?
post #543 of 40854 Old 02-10-2007, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by xclan View Post

I made a purchase this week for f-3's for my fronts, a c-2 center and a RSW-12. I have a few recievers, all newer models, one of wich is a 7.1 Onkyo that I may use to run a 7.1 or 5.1 setup. My question is should I buy full tower speakers such as the cheaper sf-1's for 350$ a pair or some s-2 surrounds? I kinda like the look of the ss line of surrounds better but I dont know how well they would be matched with the sound of my system. or should I bite the bullet and buy some nice rs-52's? s-3's(kinda ugly)? man I have never considered spending 700$ on a surround speaker. Any advice? I have considered just buying some nice older model klipsch towers. Heck I even considered some cheap Fluance, or Wharfedale Biploles because money is an issue but i'd rather make the right choice not just the cheap one. .....any advice would be appreciatted. heck I love the look of the ss-2's but i havent found a plave that I can audition them.

Welcome to the forum xclan. I was hoping someone would respond to your post. I don't know about the exact speakers that you are talking about but will give you an opinion based on what I have and scanning the Klipsch site:

1) It shows that the C-3 is the proper center channel to use with the f-3's. I'm not saying that the C-2 couldn't work, but given how much material comes out of the center on multichannel material, that would be something I'd consider doing. IMO the larger center channel could make a considerable difference on over all sound quality. You should be able to take it back and tell them they sold you the wrong center for your system (print out this link:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/deta...er-system.aspx

and take it with you.) Then consider what to do for surround speakers.

2) I prefer my previous generation of Towers (RF-3's) to both the RS-7's WDST surrounds, or the RB-75 bookshelf speakers as side surrounds to use with my RF-7 towers up front. YMMV, because I don't have any idea how that equates to the newer Synergy line.

3) I wouldn't spend $700 for surrounds given what spent for your mains. For that price I would upgrade your front 3 speakers to reference and skimp on side surrounds to stay within your budget. BTW, That RSW 12 is an awesome Subwoofer! Good Luck.
post #544 of 40854 Old 02-10-2007, 06:51 PM

I also love the sound of the Klipsch speakers and I also first started with a 2.1 set for my computer 5 years ago. Now I have the F2s, C2, S2s and Sub 12 powered by my Pioneer Elite 84. One day soon I'll give away the Synergy fronts/center to my little brother and upgrade to the RF-62 fronts and RC-62 center.
post #545 of 40854 Old 02-10-2007, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management View Post

If one watches movies (75%) & games (23%) and listens to music (2%) of the time .... would it make sense to stick with the F 62s, 82s, or 83s with the C 62 or 64? Thanx. Medium sized room ... about 12 x 16 with 9 ft high ceiling. Thanx.

Imo your best bet would be to go with the RF 63's paired with he RC-64. That being said, if you are going to be sitting 10 ft or more from your mains you may even be able to go with the RF-83's and really have an obscene system if you are able to do something with flat surface reflections--That would be a tough call given everyone's room is different. Regardless, either system is apt to bump up the percentage of music you listen to.

I have 9 speakers and 2 subwoofers crammed in a room that's slightly bigger than yours but doesn't have a lot of reflective surfaces. I also have a high A-frame ceiling. I have to admit it looks like my speakers dominate the room--It sounds like being in the middle of some amazing concerts. For movies it's like being in the middle of the action.
post #546 of 40854 Old 02-10-2007, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ufobuster View Post

... A few days later, and a longer demo with the RF-5s and I had them at home. Keep in mind, I'm a frugal person....so my Def-techs were surrounds for a while. Once again, being frugal I gleefully found that Klipsch was re-designing and ended up with great buys on the RF-7 and RC-7 this year and moved the RF-5 pair to surround!! Powered up with a new Yammi......so sweet!
Don't get me wrong..."In the Flesh" (Roger Waters) is one of my favorites, but it would be hard to be dissapppointed listening to it on any loud/dynamic system. .... Klipsh is a superb "window" into some wonderful art.
Roger

It appears you have an out of this world system, Ufobuster. I can't imagine a better deal in HT than finding the RF-7/RC-7 on sale and then moving the RF-5's to side surrounds.

I also like the Roger Waters DVD that you mentioned. One of the funniest experiences I had in my HT was after hearing that concert dozens of times and then one night walking by my center channel only to think something was wrong with it. I called a friend who also had the disk to confirm it wasn't something wrong with my system--He said "sure there is a center channel recorded on it," only to call me back and being amazed that in fact there is no center channel recorded.
post #547 of 40854 Old 02-11-2007, 06:28 AM

Quote:

I'm actually considering the RVX-42 system now. I like the looks of those and the two front speakers would fit nicely on either side of the plasma. Or should they be up at the junction boxes and put the center above the plasma?

Question about the center: we don't want to add a shelf above. I want a mount that will allow it to reach the wall behind the TV. It would need to extend out about 14". Any thoughts on this type of mount?

I'd tear out that built in cabinet below the plasma and have a new one built that will hold speakers or take a sawsall to it and insert speakers L/R and C speakers into it and put custom grill covers on the outside. In reality since your not going to touch that cabinet (or risk a divorce), slimline speakers made for plasma TVs are probably your best bet. If you don't want the center channel above the TV, then you could raise the plasma a few inched and put speaker underneath.

And if you really want klipsch reference theater sound, there's a sale at Sears on sawsalls this weekend . . .
post #548 of 40854 Old 02-11-2007, 07:35 AM

Can't touch the cabinet. It holds all of my components now in the center area. It has built-in IR relays.

I do want the center above. I just don't want to add a shelf to hold it. Is there a mount that can come from the back wall and be hidden by the speaker?
post #549 of 40854 Old 02-11-2007, 07:58 AM

I have been looking at upgrading my Quientet II center channel with a RC-62. While I was looking, I ran into the BIC Acoustech HT-65. This speaker seems to match the RC-62 in the spec sheet and it costs about a third of the price. I have read they sound much like the Klipsch speakers since they use horns on their highs. Does anyone have any thoughts on these speakers?
post #550 of 40854 Old 02-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayways02 View Post

I have been looking at upgrading my Quientet II center channel with a RC-62. While I was looking, I ran into the BIC Acoustech HT-65. This speaker seems to match the RC-62 in the spec sheet and it costs about a third of the price. I have read they sound much like the Klipsch speakers since they use horns on their highs. Does anyone have any thoughts on these speakers?

Different drivers, quality of construction, and components. They do use horns in their high end drivers, but they are not mated like the Klipsch speakers.

Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz !
post #551 of 40854 Old 02-11-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok ..... so now with a system like this:

Fronts: RF - 82 x 2

Center: RC - 64 x 1

Surrounds: RS - 42 x 4 (whats the deal with these only have 75 W RMS? Is that enough? I choose these because I would get 4 for a 7.1 setup.

Subwoofer: HSU VTF-3 MK 3

Should I be using a Klipsch sub? Also, with the current ratings on these speakers, what is the right amounts of watts my receiver should have? Is 120 watts/ch good enough or do I have to use the receiver for a preprocessor, use preouts to a dedicated amp and connect my speakers to the AMP? If so how much power would be too much power? Thanx, best place is to ask some people with these actually speakers. BTW, feel free to let me know if this system wouldn't be very good.

If you have to ask, I did audition a pair of 82s and the 52 or 62. Forgot which center it was. But I like the Klipsch brand.

Anyone using a Anthem D2 with the Klipsch Brand?
post #552 of 40854 Old 02-11-2007, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you have to ask, I did audition a pair of 82s and the 52 or 62. Forgot which center it was. But I like the Klipsch brand.

Did you audition either the RF-63's or 83's that are the recommended mains that go with the RC-64?
post #553 of 40854 Old 02-11-2007, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

Did you audition either the RF-63's or 83's that are the recommended mains that go with the RC-64?

Nope, but they are a little too much for me. I can maybe swing it but i doubt it. I would go 5.1 if I were to go with the RF-63 and I would like 7.1.
post #554 of 40854 Old 02-11-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Can't touch the cabinet. It holds all of my components now in the center area. It has built-in IR relays.

I do want the center above. I just don't want to add a shelf to hold it. Is there a mount that can come from the back wall and be hidden by the speaker?

I'm sure such a mount exits, but it would have to be very sturdy to hold the RC-64- It's a very heavy speaker ~ 65 pounds and depth is more than a foot , too. If you go with those slimline speakers made for plasma TVs a couple long and sturdy screws in the studs would suffice most likely.
post #555 of 40854 Old 02-11-2007, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope, but they are a little too much for me. I can maybe swing it but i doubt it. I would go 5.1 if I were to go with the RF-63 and I would like 7.1.

I agree completely with the idea of staying in budget. To throw one last opinion before I get done thinking about your situation (and I haven't compared the RF-82 to the Rf-63). IF you were able to compare the two speakers (w/ RC-64) and IF you preferred the RF-63--I feel the better quality in your front 3 speakers in a 5.1 situation would out way a lesser quality 7.1 total package in most smaller rooms (and in the future be upgraded to a quality 7.1 system and be more cost effective). Given the limited usage of WDST surrounds--they are the speakers that decrease the most in value.

Wait...I have one other (slightly contrary) opinion. If you have your mind set on the RF-82's and like them, you can always move them to side surrounds and upgrade your mains when the price drops. Either way it sounds like you are doing your homework. Good luck in your decision.
post #556 of 40854 Old 02-11-2007, 04:22 PM

I am in the process of putting together a 5.1 system. I have a pair of RF-7 speakers that I acquired used from a friend. I intend to build my system around them, but frankly the matching RC-7 is a little much for me (both price and size-wise). I know this may be heretical, but if I don't get this center channel, what would my other options be with Klipsch or otherwise?
post #557 of 40854 Old 02-11-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrim View Post

I am in the process of putting together a 5.1 system. I have a pair of RF-7 speakers that I acquired used from a friend. I intend to build my system around them, but frankly the matching RC-7 is a little much for me (both price and size-wise). I know this may be heretical, but if I don't get this center channel, what would my other options be with Klipsch or otherwise?

...I just confronted a similar issue...During the recent Klipsch model changes I found great buys available for the RF-7 last fall (even now). I already had the RF-5 fronts with an RC-35 center channel, etc. I moved the RF-5 pair to surround, set-up the RF-7 fronts and planned to "make-do" with the RC-35 center. It soon became apparent that my regular "stereo" mode was sounding better than my DD or DTS 5.1....so what gives?? After much tweeking and puttering, I finally gave in and went shopping. I found the discontinued RC-7 that matches the RF-7....set it up...and BAM!!...
That was it!....Duh!! you just can't cheat on your center channel!..... It's like a final puzzle piece for the whole system. I'm not going to push you to get the equivalent Klipsch but it darn well ought to be something just as good or you'll fail to realize the potential of your system in 5.1 or DVD-audio....It's just that simple....save up and get it!!
...you've been told....

..and audio gourmond: "some is good, more is better, too much is just about right".
post #558 of 40854 Old 02-11-2007, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree completely with the idea of staying in budget. To throw one last opinion before I get done thinking about your situation (and I haven't compared the RF-82 to the Rf-63). IF you were able to compare the two speakers (w/ RC-64) and IF you preferred the RF-63--I feel the better quality in your front 3 speakers in a 5.1 situation would out way a lesser quality 7.1 total package in most smaller rooms (and in the future be upgraded to a quality 7.1 system and be more cost effective). Given the limited usage of WDST surrounds--they are the speakers that decrease the most in value.

Wait...I have one other (slightly contrary) opinion. If you have your mind set on the RF-82's and like them, you can always move them to side surrounds and upgrade your mains when the price drops. Either way it sounds like you are doing your homework. Good luck in your decision.

You know I have never bought into the using fronts as surrounds. Just seems like it would be so expensive to do that and waste that kind of money. Plus I do not listen to music much at all through my system. I use something else for that if I wish to. I'm sure your right about a great 5.1 setup. But I'm no audiophile and have audition a bunch of speakers. And these edge out a bunch of others in my opinion. And they have very good bass response in my opinion. Very good for me. Plus I was guessing on the room cuz it could be much bigger. I suck as estimating. In any event I think the 82s would be enough for me. Maybe even the 62 will be enough. I will probably get both and see for myself. But I def would like to get the 7.1. I play a lot of games and look forward to playing a few ps3 games in 7.1 LPCM.

Can someone let me know what receivers they are using for their Klipsch Ref. please? Thank you. Also would you think the Anthem D2 would be over kill or would it need an amp? Just would like to get a feel of what you guys are using to run your speakers.
post #559 of 40854 Old 02-11-2007, 09:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:

But I def would like to get the 7.1. I play a lot of games and look forward to playing a few ps3 games in 7.1 LPCM.

If the pic's in your sig are current, the room and seating location you have are not very conducive to a 7.1 arrangement. You are too close to the back wall and the rear speakers will be right in your ears. Also the side surrounds will be too close to the rears and you will not get good separation. I would stick with 5.1 unless you can move your seating forward a few feet. Then move your side surrounds forward as well. (Of course, the other pic's show a Benq projector and a fairly large screen. If this is in a different room and your seating is different, you may be a better candidate for 7.1).

Quote:

Can someone let me know what receivers they are using for their Klipsch Ref. please? Thank you. Also would you think the Anthem D2 would be over kill or would it need an amp? Just would like to get a feel of what you guys are using to run your speakers.

While the Anthem D2 is an exceptional piece, I'm surprised you're considering it at an MSRP of $6,500. In some of your other posts, it sounded like budgetary constraints kept you away from the higher-end Klipsch Reference speakers. Also, the D2 is a pre/pro with no amplification. You would need 5 or 7 channels of amplification to go with it. Anthem makes an accompanying 5-channel amp, the P5, at $4,995. If you want 7 channels, you could add the P2 for an additional $2,499. This would undoubtedly be an awesome system. However, if you're going to pop for this much on your electronics, I would say go "whole-hog" and step up to the TOL Ref's RF-83's and the RS-62's. Better yet, match the THX Ultra2 certification of the Anthem equipment with a set of Klipsch THX Ultra2 speakers.

Myself, I use a Yamaha RX-V4600, (130 wpc x 7) in a 5.1 configuration with my RB-75's, RC-7, RS-7's, all set to "Small" and crossed at 80 Hz to an Earthquake Supernova MKV-15. However, if I were getting a new receiver today, I would consider one of the new Denon's with the multi-position Audessy EQ systems.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #560 of 40854 Old 02-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

I use a Yammy HTR 5660 to power a set of RF-82 mains in two channel mode, or with RB-61 back, and RC-62 center in multi channel configuration.

Seems to work very well

Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz !
post #561 of 40854 Old 02-11-2007, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

While the Anthem D2 is an exceptional piece, I'm surprised you're considering it at an MSRP of $6,500. In some of your other posts, it sounded like budgetary constraints kept you away from the higher-end Klipsch Reference speakers.

Did you noticed that too?
post #562 of 40854 Old 02-12-2007, 12:30 AM

I have a pair of Klipsch synergy B2's, and was considering buying the F3's and C3. I was just wondering if the F3s were a little overpriced and if I should just upgrade to the Reference series instead. If so, suggestions on which ones would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to stay somewhere around $1200 for the L/C/R.

Thanks
post #563 of 40854 Old 02-12-2007, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If the pic's in your sig are current, the room and seating location you have are not very conducive to a 7.1 arrangement. You are too close to the back wall and the rear speakers will be right in your ears. Also the side surrounds will be too close to the rears and you will not get good separation. I would stick with 5.1 unless you can move your seating forward a few feet. Then move your side surrounds forward as well. (Of course, the other pic's show a Benq projector and a fairly large screen. If this is in a different room and your seating is different, you may be a better candidate for 7.1).

While the Anthem D2 is an exceptional piece, I'm surprised you're considering it at an MSRP of $6,500. In some of your other posts, it sounded like budgetary constraints kept you away from the higher-end Klipsch Reference speakers. Also, the D2 is a pre/pro with no amplification. You would need 5 or 7 channels of amplification to go with it. Anthem makes an accompanying 5-channel amp, the P5, at $4,995. If you want 7 channels, you could add the P2 for an additional $2,499. This would undoubtedly be an awesome system. However, if you're going to pop for this much on your electronics, I would say go "whole-hog" and step up to the TOL Ref's RF-83's and the RS-62's. Better yet, match the THX Ultra2 certification of the Anthem equipment with a set of Klipsch THX Ultra2 speakers.

Myself, I use a Yamaha RX-V4600, (130 wpc x 7) in a 5.1 configuration with my RB-75's, RC-7, RS-7's, all set to "Small" and crossed at 80 Hz to an Earthquake Supernova MKV-15. However, if I were getting a new receiver today, I would consider one of the new Denon's with the multi-position Audessy EQ systems.

Craig

O o no no. What you see in the pictures is not where I am setting up my system, I am moving out of this apartment in June. The Benq projector was part of my old setup. I currently have the Samsung and the Athena Point 5 system. I will have plenty of space for a true 7.1 surround system with speakers placed at all the right angles.

I couldn't jump straight to the 83s because I have other electronics to purchase. I was planning on getting a B stock D2 or get one from audiogon, somewhere but not for $6500. But I have to buy a screen and projector and cables so I have to take a little step back a conserve some money. I will see how much money I have left then I will get the Klipsch speakers. I might have enough but I doubt it. Depends if those 1080p projectors drop in price a little more or maybe just stay with the set. If I do that then yea I could probably get the 83s. We'll see. I'm just trying to outline everything now. I'll be working over in Japan for a couple months so when I get back I can start ordering. I can also look into the new Denons that are coming out l8r this year.

Thanx for your feedback.
post #564 of 40854 Old 02-12-2007, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you noticed that too?

Shouldn't one spend a lot on their electronics or is it better to pour money into the speakers? I asked this because I see Craig with a Supernova MKV-15 that I think costs like $2k or more. I don't know if I would ever pay so much for a sub. But really, which should get the most money? I thought the electronics usually get most of the money.
post #565 of 40854 Old 02-12-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:

Shouldn't one spend a lot on their electronics or is it better to pour money into the speakers? I asked this because I see Craig with a Supernova MKV-15 that I think costs like $2k or more. I don't know if I would ever pay so much for a sub. But really, which should get the most money? I thought the electronics usually get most of the money.

My feeling is that the "sweet spot" is to get the best *bookshelf* speakers one can afford, then take the money saved, (over floorstanders) and apply that money to the sub. Hence my selection of the RB-75's, (the bookshelf "equivalent" of the RF-7) and the Earthquake sub. Then I use Bass Management to set the speakers to "Small" and an 80 Hz crossover. This re-directs the lowest bass to the subwoofer, which is the best speaker to reproduce it. Why pay for extra LF extension in the mains, when you can use the sub to reproduce it anyway.

There are several other advantages to this philosophy. First, you can place the sub independant of the speakers. The best placement of your mains for imaging is almost never the best placement for bass response. Re-direct it to the sub, place your mains where they image the best and then optimize the sub placement.

Second, by re-directing the bass to the sub, you remove it from the main *amps* as well as the speakers. Bass is the most power hungry portion of the signal. Removing it from the main amps increases their "headroom" and allows the entire system to play louder and more cleanly.

Third, any bass sent to the mains that is below their LF extension is LOST! If the speakers can't reproduce it, you never hear it. If you re-direct the lowest bass to the sub, your have a much better chance of capturing and reproducing it.

These are the reasons I allocate my $$$ to the best sub I can afford, while "compromising" on the mains, (although my RB-75's are *not* a compromise; they are just as good as the RF-7 from about 60 Hz on up.)

Instead of spending large $$$ on electronic upgrades, I also feel that money can be more wisely spent on acoustical room treatments. These will do far more to improve the SQ of your system than a boatload of $$$ on electronics. Remember that, after your speakers, the item which has the biggest impact on the sound you hear is your room. If it's full of reflections and resonances, you'll hear *it* far more than the sound of the electronics.

Just my $0.02.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #566 of 40854 Old 02-12-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svb34 View Post

I have a pair of Klipsch synergy B2's, and was considering buying the F3's and C3. I was just wondering if the F3s were a little overpriced and if I should just upgrade to the Reference series instead. If so, suggestions on which ones would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to stay somewhere around $1200 for the L/C/R.

Thanks

I picked up two RF-82's and an RC-62 for $1175.

I could not be happier.
post #567 of 40854 Old 02-12-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:

I also like the Roger Waters DVD that you mentioned. One of the funniest experiences I had in my HT was after hearing that concert dozens of times and then one night walking by my center channel only to think something was wrong with it. I called a friend who also had the disk to confirm it wasn't something wrong with my system--He said "sure there is a center channel recorded on it," only to call me back and being amazed that in fact there is no center channel recorded.

....I reviewed "In the Flesh" this week-end (not a 100% play-thru) and found that this is mostly correct. I couldn't hear any actual performers in the center channel but there was a selective use of the sound-effects...ie, helicopter blades, alarm clock, cash register sounds, etc. I'm supposing that no music from the stage was directed to the center....but it's not without sound. Makes you wonder if the producers didn't trust center channel set-ups for best music play-back by the consumer. Not all sound-effects came from center...notably: "Stop Dave" sound-track is in the surrounds. Music is mostly from L/R mains. Interesting.

..and audio gourmond: "some is good, more is better, too much is just about right".
post #568 of 40854 Old 02-12-2007, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:

Shouldn't one spend a lot on their electronics or is it better to pour money into the speakers? I asked this because I see Craig with a Supernova MKV-15 that I think costs like $2k or more.

I say speakers, but one can argue that the sub is a speaker.

The speakers have the biggest job of the chain, to get the air to move (so to speak). Speakers have the greatest variance on overall sound. Speakers will outlive every single other component. Some of my speakers are 34 years old, and another pair is 29 years old.

post #569 of 40854 Old 02-12-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My feeling is that the "sweet spot" is to get the best *bookshelf* speakers one can afford, then take the money saved, (over floorstanders) and apply that money to the sub. Hence my selection of the RB-75's, (the bookshelf "equivalent" of the RF-7) and the Earthquake sub. Then I use Bass Management to set the speakers to "Small" and an 80 Hz crossover. This re-directs the lowest bass to the subwoofer, which is the best speaker to reproduce it. Why pay for extra LF extension in the mains, when you can use the sub to reproduce it anyway.

There are several other advantages to this philosophy. First, you can place the sub independant of the speakers. The best placement of your mains for imaging is almost never the best placement for bass response. Re-direct it to the sub, place your mains where they image the best and then optimize the sub placement.

Second, by re-directing the bass to the sub, you remove it from the main *amps* as well as the speakers. Bass is the most power hungry portion of the signal. Removing it from the main amps increases their "headroom" and allows the entire system to play louder and more cleanly.

Third, any bass sent to the mains that is below their LF extension is LOST! If the speakers can't reproduce it, you never hear it. If you re-direct the lowest bass to the sub, your have a much better chance of capturing and reproducing it.

These are the reasons I allocate my $$$ to the best sub I can afford, while "compromising" on the mains, (although my RB-75's are *not* a compromise; they are just as good as the RF-7 from about 60 Hz on up.)

Instead of spending large $$$ on electronic upgrades, I also feel that money can be more wisely spent on acoustical room treatments. These will do far more to improve the SQ of your system than a boatload of $$$ on electronics. Remember that, after your speakers, the item which has the biggest impact on the sound you hear is your room. If it's full of reflections and resonances, you'll hear *it* far more than the sound of the electronics.

Just my $0.02.

Craig

Some of the most valuable information I have read. Thanx for your $0.02. Money well spent. I'll look into the RB-81's. See if I can audition them.

Now I will go audition:

RB-81 (150 W / ch) x 2
RC-62 (150 W / ch) x 1
RS-62 (150 W / ch) x 4

And use a receiver capable of driving 150 W / ch so that I will not need a dedicated amp (save money) and pure more of that money into a nicer receiver and some room treatments. O and a better sub that can get even lower in its frequency response. Seems to make a lot of sense and I agree with a strategy like this. Saves me more money and still get a 7.1 will great bass.
post #570 of 40854 Old 02-12-2007, 12:13 PM

Looking at the pano of my room here:

I've decided on the RVX-42 for L-C-R. They will look great next to the plasma and they sound amazing. What about surrounds? I don't want a "regular" bookshelf speaker hanging from the wall. The surrounds will mount at the junction boxes on the top right of the photo.

I'm thinking RS-42 or the R-5650-S in-wall speakers. What would match with the RVX-42 the best?
Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page