Klipsch owner thread - Page 206 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6151 of 37314 Old 02-14-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
you will never be "satisfied" until you reach a certain height of enjoyment. I sat around from time to time and would ponder how much it would cost me to upgrade to the RF63s or RF83s, how much money could I make back off my current setup. Finally about 1 year after the purchase of the first Klipsch speakers, I saw world wide stereo getting rid of the Cherry RF63s for almost 1/2 what they originally were. I thought well I could always keep my RC62, but it was black and I am picky. So I said I wonder if I could get the whole package, RF63s and RC64. So I called my wife and said, HEY, remember those speakers I showed you this morning on the internet, she said YES. I said, well do you think I should get them, she replied Yeah why not, you have been wanting more a long time now, so just get them since they are on sale. You can always sale your other speakers to help pay for the new ones. I was ECSTATIC, so I did it quick before I changed my mind. The girl at WWS was very helpful. I made sure they had plenty of Cherry RF63s and RC64s left in case mine got damaged. She said she would ship them out on a truck on a pallet by themselves so the wouldnt.

thats how i upgraded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6152 of 37314 Old 02-14-2009, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
crikey I think i'll just stay with the 62's for now they should satisfy me for about a year and a half
post #6153 of 37314 Old 02-14-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I have some brand new RB 35s left over after I let my dad have my RF2s.
post #6154 of 37314 Old 02-14-2009, 05:27 PM

acevesf I'll let you know. I ordered some rf-83's and rs-62's "b" stock from wwstereo. They should be here by friday. I ordered the rc-64 and rt-10d in cherry when they were heavily discounted. The service was excellent and it shipped fedex.
If you complete a survey from price grabber online then wwstereo offers you a 10% discount on your next order. I took advantage of that plus the "b" stock discount.
post #6155 of 37314 Old 02-15-2009, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik-t View Post

Thx

I have :

3X Kef ace 9000 ,M&K m4t,M&K s-85, Kef psw 4000...

Doesn't Kef make surround speakers? I would think you would want to keep the tonal quality of your Home Theater the same by using the same brand or at least similar technology as your Mains and Center channel.
post #6156 of 37314 Old 02-15-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaxon View Post

acevesf I'll let you know. I ordered some rf-83's and rs-62's "b" stock from wwstereo. They should be here by friday. I ordered the rc-64 and rt-10d in cherry when they were heavily discounted. The service was excellent and it shipped fedex.
If you complete a survey from price grabber online then wwstereo offers you a 10% discount on your next order. I took advantage of that plus the "b" stock discount.

Please do thanks!
post #6157 of 37314 Old 02-15-2009, 11:02 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by acevesf View Post

Alright guys, need some help. I brought a pair of rf-62's home the other day, however I'm wondering if I should have spent a little more cash and got the rf-82's....

help me out guys..

Currently I have the rc-52 for center and will be gettting the rc-62 in the near future. Sub is klipsch rpw-10...all speakers are running on yamaha rx-v661.

Should I return the 62's and get the 82's? is it that big of a difference?

From what I remember off this site, I believe the RC-52s are matched with the RF-62s. I just picked up a Cherry RC-62 because I plan on buying the RF-82s this month and its the match for those. I have to say that the RC-62 is a big ass center. I didn't realize how small my old Energy one was. The RC62 is almost 2.5 times bigger. That being said, I watched 'Wanted' last night and WOW, what a difference in the sound field and details. Nothing was harsh or ear blowing like some people complain about with Klipsch. I was a die hard Energy fan before, but am a true Klipsch convert now. I'd say stay with your RC52 as it'll match your RFs.
post #6158 of 37314 Old 02-15-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

Doesn't Kef make surround speakers? I would think you would want to keep the tonal quality of your Home Theater the same by using the same brand or at least similar technology as your Mains and Center channel.

Trust me it sounds very good whit the M&K and tonal match, comsi com sa, i only think it´s much impor on the 3X fronts... rear surr it can be intergrated well, and m&K and ohter (Klipsch) offers somthing Kef do not have in this range of tone anyway....
post #6159 of 37314 Old 02-15-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik-t View Post

Trust me it sounds very good whit the M&K and tonal match, comsi com sa, i only think it´s much impor on the 3X fronts... rear surr it can be intergrated well, and m&K and ohter (Klipsch) offers somthing Kef do not have in this range of tone anyway....

Something to consider is that the Klipsch RS-62's Sensitivity rating is 97 dB, which is 10 dB higher than your Kef KHT 9000s. If you sit closer to your surrounds than your main speakers, this could present a problem when it comes to level matching your speakers. Good luck.
post #6160 of 37314 Old 02-15-2009, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost271 View Post

From what I remember off this site, I believe the RC-52s are matched with the RF-62s.

No the RC52 is not a match. The RC62 is the match for the RF62s and RF82s. The RC64 is for the the RF63s and RF83s.

The RC52 center is for the smaller towers and some bookshelf systems.

And acevesf, you will only see a very subtle difference between them. The RF82s will have just a slight more bass punch. I demo'd both sets alot. I was thinking the exact same thing you are now. I always had it in the back of my mind that I should have bought the RF82s. But at the time, the 82s were about $200 more than the 62s, and IMHO, they didnt sound $200 better. Bigger woofers and the same tweeters. If you want to upgrade, upgrade big like i did. I went to the RF63s, MORE woofers and BIGGER tweeter. There is a huge difference in bass output and the tweeter sounds just more full.

one thing also to remember, If you have a sub and you watch alot of movies, the NO you dont need to upgrade. Another thing, If you do go and get the RF82s, you will then wish you would have gotten the RF63s or RF83s because you will say to yourself "man i paid more for these and they dont sound that much better if at all, i should have paid even more and gotten a bigger upgrade. start off with what you can, then sell that stuff and buy something bigger.
post #6161 of 37314 Old 02-15-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

No the RC52 is not a match. The RC62 is the match for the RF62s and RF82s. The RC64 is for the the RF63s and RF83s.

The RC52 center is for the smaller towers and some bookshelf systems.

And acevesf, you will only see a very subtle difference between them. The RF82s will have just a slight more bass punch. I demo'd both sets alot. I was thinking the exact same thing you are now. I always had it in the back of my mind that I should have bought the RF82s. But at the time, the 82s were about $200 more than the 62s, and IMHO, they didnt sound $200 better. Bigger woofers and the same tweeters. If you want to upgrade, upgrade big like i did. I went to the RF63s, MORE woofers and BIGGER tweeter. There is a huge difference in bass output and the tweeter sounds just more full.

one thing also to remember, If you have a sub and you watch alot of movies, the NO you dont need to upgrade. Another thing, If you do go and get the RF82s, you will then wish you would have gotten the RF63s or RF83s because you will say to yourself "man i paid more for these and they dont sound that much better if at all, i should have paid even more and gotten a bigger upgrade. start off with what you can, then sell that stuff and buy something bigger.

Thank you for the correction. Now you have ME wanting to look for a deal on RF-83s
post #6162 of 37314 Old 02-15-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

world wide stereo has b stock and cherry on sale.
post #6163 of 37314 Old 02-15-2009, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for the correction. Now you have ME wanting to look for a deal on RF-83s

I would throw in all of you guys buying upper-end AVRs or getting separate amps, consider seeing if there is anyone in your area getting rid of their RF-7s/RC-7s/RB-75s from the previous Klipsch Reference line...The RF-83/RC-64 combo is a very nice system, but if you are into Rock and Movies the former will give the latter a run for the money, imo. That being said, there aren't many of those speakers up for sale and I am not getting rid of mine. ;-)
post #6164 of 37314 Old 02-16-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:

I would throw in all of you guys buying upper-end AVRs or getting separate amps, consider seeing if there is anyone in your area getting rid of their RF-7s/RC-7s/RB-75s from the previous Klipsch Reference line...The RF-83/RC-64 combo is a very nice system, but if you are into Rock and Movies the former will give the latter a run for the money, imo. That being said, there aren't many of those speakers up for sale and I am not getting rid of mine. ;-)

+1

i agree and would not dream of selling mine either.

I'm "THE" big fat panda! -------> skadoosh!
WudChuK's Den
post #6165 of 37314 Old 02-16-2009, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

im in the market for a new AVR, what are some of the avrs you guys are running with your klipsch setup? Im actually looking into the Onkyo 876
post #6166 of 37314 Old 02-16-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:

im in the market for a new AVR, what are some of the avrs you guys are running with your klipsch setup? Im actually looking into the Onkyo 876

first off, what kind of budget are you on?

denon 3808ci with a set of RF-7's / RC-62 / RS-52 / RF-82 for rear surr.

I'm "THE" big fat panda! -------> skadoosh!
WudChuK's Den
post #6167 of 37314 Old 02-16-2009, 09:05 PM

So after much patience and hunting around I finally found and bought an RC62, and a pair or RB61s that were on sale . Now here's the dillema. I had plans on buying a pair of RF82s for fronts on Friday and moving the RBs to the rear position. But after listening to the RB61 in the front position I am blown away with the immersive sound field and am wondering if the RF82s will be overkill. So I am thinking of maybe keeping the RB61s at the front and buying a set of RS42s for the rears instead.

My room is about 14x14 and I have a pair of Synergy SS.5 in the rears and the bipole effect sounds smooth and clear. If I bought the RS42s I'd place them in the rear and put the Synergys as the L/R Backs.

The idea was to buy the bigger fronts,center, and rears for when I move into a bigger place so I dont have to buy them then. As well all these speakers are on sale.

As a side note I have to say that I have never felt this drawn into the cinema experiance as I have since buying these. I find my heart pounding while playing XBox, and my hands gripping my chair when watching action scenes in movies. Anybody else get this feeling with their speakers ?
post #6168 of 37314 Old 02-17-2009, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WudChuK View Post

first off, what kind of budget are you on?

denon 3808ci with a set of RF-7's / RC-62 / RS-52 / RF-82 for rear surr.

If I keep my emotiva I was thinking about getting something with preouts and a little cheaper like these:
Marantz SR5003 $599
Onkyo TX SR806 $599

These are the ones I was considering to let drive my whole system without amp:
Onkyo TX SR876 $911
Yamaha RX-V1800 $700-$800
Yamaha RX-V1900 $974
Onkyo TX SR905 $943

I was gonna spend about $1000 if I got just a receiver

Quote:

So after much patience and hunting around I finally found and bought an RC62, and a pair or RB61s that were on sale . Now here's the dillema. I had plans on buying a pair of RF82s for fronts on Friday and moving the RBs to the rear position. But after listening to the RB61 in the front position I am blown away with the immersive sound field and am wondering if the RF82s will be overkill. So I am thinking of maybe keeping the RB61s at the front and buying a set of RS42s for the rears instead.

My room is about 14x14 and I have a pair of Synergy SS.5 in the rears and the bipole effect sounds smooth and clear. If I bought the RS42s I'd place them in the rear and put the Synergys as the L/R Backs.

The idea was to buy the bigger fronts,center, and rears for when I move into a bigger place so I dont have to buy them then. As well all these speakers are on sale.

As a side note I have to say that I have never felt this drawn into the cinema experiance as I have since buying these. I find my heart pounding while playing XBox, and my hands gripping my chair when watching action scenes in movies. Anybody else get this feeling with their speakers ?

I would get the RF82s for the front if you have the chance. I have set of RF62s and RB35s im trying to get rid of now. I think the towers are better suited for front duty and rear duty goes to bookshelf speakers.
post #6169 of 37314 Old 02-17-2009, 07:16 AM

My front 3 speakers are Klipsch; RF-3 II(left/right), RC-35(center), and KSW-12(sub)
I've never had 5.1 and want it, I called a local A/V company and he's thinking that these Tannoy CVS4's will blend well with my fronts, as surrounds.

http://www.tannoy.com/ResidentialDet...pid=215&sid=73

They are 4" speakers that SOUND "bigger" he said. They have the enclosure to trap the sound so it doesn't get lost in my attic, etc...they seem similar to a Mirage Omnican. He said they would be $300/pair, I've found them online for $160/pair. I know he has to make his profit, but thats a lot of wiggle room. I don't even know if its a great match or not?

What do you all think of that combo? I don't have the luxury of listening to these.
post #6170 of 37314 Old 02-17-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

If I keep my emotiva I was thinking about getting something with preouts and a little cheaper like these:
Marantz SR5003 $599
Onkyo TX SR806 $599
Onkyo TX SR805 $400 just found this one used from a forum member

Onkyo TX SR876 $911
Yamaha RX-V1900 $974
Onkyo TX SR905 $943

post #6171 of 37314 Old 02-17-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post

My front 3 speakers are Klipsch; RF-3 II(left/right), RC-35(center), and KSW-12(sub)
I've never had 5.1 and want it, I called a local A/V company and he's thinking that these Tannoy CVS4's will blend well with my fronts, as surrounds.

http://www.tannoy.com/ResidentialDet...pid=215&sid=73

They are 4" speakers that SOUND "bigger" he said. They have the enclosure to trap the sound so it doesn't get lost in my attic, etc...they seem similar to a Mirage Omnican. He said they would be $300/pair, I've found them online for $160/pair. I know he has to make his profit, but thats a lot of wiggle room. I don't even know if its a great match or not?

What do you all think of that combo?

I wouldn't worry too much about blending the surrounds with the fronts... unless I just got lucky... I bought RF-3s and used whatever speakers I had laying around for the surrounds, and have never, ever, noticed any mismatch...
Now, I don't know anything about these tannoy's themselves, but I do know a thing or two about unscrupulous sales people, and the guy you're talking to is one. Rule #1 is run from any salesman that tells you a speaker "sounds bigger than it is"... unfortunately, that makes me question the product as well...

BTW, I would be more concerned about how the RC35 blends with the RF3II, instead of the RC3II... which is what I use with my RF3s...

It does look like those are co-axial, which could make for some very good sound if they were large enough and used as fronts, but these aren't... I can't tell you how they'll sound as surrounds, especially without knowing details about your room setup...

Did the $300/pair include installation?

-Greg
post #6172 of 37314 Old 02-17-2009, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...What do you all think of that combo? I don't have the luxury of listening to these.

I would be on the lookout for RS-3 (or other Klipsch WDST speakers) that match your Mains. Your RF-3s Sensitivity Rating is 10 points higher than those tannoys and it may be difficult to level match them and I don't imagine their tonal quality would be the same.
post #6173 of 37314 Old 02-17-2009, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would still recommend the towers. If you think it's immersive now, see how you feel with a pair of RF-82's up front. Then move the RB-61's to surround back positions. Even if you keep the RB-61's in the front and get a pair of RS-42's, it's recommended to use bipoles as surrounds and direct firing monopoles as surround backs. So it probably wouldn't be the best idea to use 42's as surrounds and your Synergys in the surround back positions. This is of course assuming your room will allow for proper 7.1 setup speaker placement. If it doesn't, you're probably better off sticking with 5.1.

Quote:

Marantz SR5003 $599
Onkyo TX SR806 $599
Onkyo TX SR805 $400 just found this one used from a forum member

Onkyo TX SR876 $911
Yamaha RX-V1900 $974
Onkyo TX SR905 $943

Nez, if I were you I would jump all over that Onkyo 805 for $400 and keep your Emotiva.

Steve

post #6174 of 37314 Old 02-17-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 View Post

I would still recommend the towers. If you think it's immersive now, see how you feel with a pair of RF-82's up front. Then move the RB-61's to surround back positions. Even if you keep the RB-61's in the front and get a pair of RS-42's, it's recommended to use bipoles as surrounds and direct firing monopoles as surround backs. So it probably wouldn't be the best idea to use 42's as surrounds and your Synergys in the surround back positions. This is of course assuming your room will allow for proper 7.1 setup speaker placement. If it doesn't, you're probably better off sticking with 5.1.

I read that the surrounds should be front firing with the bipoles in the back ? As it is now my bipoles are the surrounds and it fills nicely. I dont know if I'll be able to fit the larger RB61s behind my seating area as the LayZBoy is near the back wall. The Synergy bipoles I could wall mount.

Thanks for the input, and would appreciate anything else you could tell me. For what its worth the RBs were almost half off and the RF82's are about 40% off.
post #6175 of 37314 Old 02-17-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaufman View Post

I wouldn't worry too much about blending the surrounds with the fronts... unless I just got lucky... I bought RF-3s and used whatever speakers I had laying around for the surrounds, and have never, ever, noticed any mismatch...
Now, I don't know anything about these tannoy's themselves, but I do know a thing or two about unscrupulous sales people, and the guy you're talking to is one. Rule #1 is run from any salesman that tells you a speaker "sounds bigger than it is"... unfortunately, that makes me question the product as well...

BTW, I would be more concerned about how the RC35 blends with the RF3II, instead of the RC3II... which is what I use with my RF3s...

It does look like those are co-axial, which could make for some very good sound if they were large enough and used as fronts, but these aren't... I can't tell you how they'll sound as surrounds, especially without knowing details about your room setup...

Did the $300/pair include installation?

Nope, that was another $105/hr, and he said 1 1/2 hrs to 2hrs max to install.
So I was looking at $500 or there abouts. Didn't sound right to me.
post #6176 of 37314 Old 02-17-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:

I would be on the lookout for RS-3 (or other Klipsch WDST speakers) that match your Mains. Your RF-3s Sensitivity Rating is 10 points higher than those tannoys and it may be difficult to level match them and I don't imagine their tonal quality would be the same.

I actually had the RS-3's at one point, and sold them, I don't want the rear speakers to be that style, I'm trying to "hide" them, in the ceiling, so that kind are not being discussed. Now, the RCR-5 or RCR-3's could be talked about. They are in ceiling, and made around the same time as my RF-3 II's.

So I'm looking for an in-ceiling speaker, suggestions open, budget is less than $300/pair, but less is more!
post #6177 of 37314 Old 02-17-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I read that the surrounds should be front firing with the bipoles in the back ? As it is now my bipoles are the surrounds and it fills nicely. I dont know if I'll be able to fit the larger RB61s behind my seating area as the LayZBoy is near the back wall. The Synergy bipoles I could wall mount.

Thanks for the input, and would appreciate anything else you could tell me. For what its worth the RBs were almost half off and the RF82's are about 40% off.

It's actually THX that recommends bipoles/dipoles to go on the side (you can see them in the diagram) with direct firing monopoles in the back. Here are the speaker setup guides from THX and Dolby.

Also since you mentioned that your sofa is close to the back wall, it's recommended that you have at least 3' between your seating position and the surround back speakers, and 5'-6' is even better. If you don't have enough space, it may not create the proper effect. The prevailing consensus is that it's better to have a properly set up 5.1 system than an improperly set up 7.1 system.

Steve

post #6178 of 37314 Old 02-17-2009, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...so that kind are not being discussed. Now, the RCR-5 or RCR-3's could be talked about. They are in ceiling, and made around the same time as my RF-3 II's.

Well, I felt someone needed to state the obvious and hope pointing out the difference in Sensitivity Rating in the speakers you originally asked about was helpful. ;-)

May I suggest doing a Search on this thread for other peoples experience with the RCR-5/RCR-3 and that may give you some things to consider. Good Luck.
post #6179 of 37314 Old 02-17-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 View Post

Nez, if I were you I would jump all over that Onkyo 805 for $400 and keep your Emotiva.

the guy over at the klipsch forum who has it, said he got the 806 because he said he didnt like the video processing through the HDMI inputs. That kinda scares me. He said they upgraded the video processing on the 806. he said the 805 is a beast for audio though.
post #6180 of 37314 Old 02-17-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Well, I felt someone needed to state the obvious and hope pointing out the difference in Sensitivity Rating in the speakers you originally asked about was helpful. ;-)

May I suggest doing a Search on this thread for other peoples experience with the RCR-5/RCR-3 and that may give you some things to consider. Good Luck.

Sorry Zen, didn't mean to sound snappy, I appreciate your point of view and the shared information about the sensitivity rating. I have done some searches, most feel those speakers will match fine. So its probably a good way for me to finish my 5.1 setup.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Audio , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page