post #6361 of 37423 Old 02-28-2009, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 View Post

It seems a lot of people like the 805 a lot better than the new 806. One of the biggest changes between the two appears to be the power supply. If you compare the specs between the 2 models, the 805 is something like 20 lbs heavier. The 805 was also tested with all channels driven to see how much power it really puts out, and it's actually pretty close to its rated numbers. I can't find the link for the test results right now. Maybe someone else who is familiar can help out and post it. If not, I have it bookmarked on my computer at home and will post it for you tomorrow.

Here's that link.

http://hometheatermag.com/compactspe...nk/index5.html

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6362 of 37423 Old 02-28-2009, 09:12 AM

http://www.6ave.com/shop/searchresul...ipsch&cti=1500
post #6363 of 37423 Old 02-28-2009, 09:37 AM

post #6364 of 37423 Old 02-28-2009, 03:36 PM

hey everyone,

quick quesiton:

I reran odyssey the other day when I moved my sub, and now it seems like I need to turn my whole system up a lot louder to hear it. Before it was around -18db was ideal, whereas now it is more like -11db to get the same effect. Is this a big deal to have it turned up that loud? Should I go into the speaker levels and knock up each speaker an equal number? I have the denon 2809ci with RF-82 system.

thanks
rick
post #6365 of 37423 Old 02-28-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I am thinking about the Klipsch THX Ultra 2 7.2 speaker package
driven by the Pioneer Susano amp. Two questions.

1) The Susano should drive these speakers.....correct?

2) This setup will be in a smallish room (21 by 15) with a slanted ceiling that meets the back wall about 4 feet off the floor. I plan on owning them forever, and someday if we get another house setting them up in a larger room. But is just insane to have this setup in a small room of this size?
post #6366 of 37423 Old 02-28-2009, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackass414 View Post

hey everyone,

quick quesiton:

I reran odyssey the other day when I moved my sub, and now it seems like I need to turn my whole system up a lot louder to hear it. Before it was around -18db was ideal, whereas now it is more like -11db to get the same effect. Is this a big deal to have it turned up that loud? Should I go into the speaker levels and knock up each speaker an equal number? I have the denon 2809ci with RF-82 system.

thanks
rick

get yourself a spl meter from radioshack. that will get you at least close to what the levels should be.
post #6367 of 37423 Old 02-28-2009, 04:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

hey everyone,

quick quesiton:

thanks
rick

its not a big deal to have it up that level - whats good to do is write down all the figures after you run the setup
so you can always put it back the way it was before if you liked it better etc. -
post #6368 of 37423 Old 02-28-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 View Post

now you got me confused - -- at -10db - that should be pretty loud - i though you had a hum or buzz at low levels with no music playing etc. - how can you hear a hum at -10db ? that must be a loud hum then -

well regardless of when you hear it - if i heard it - i would be curious as to whats causing it - i dont hear any hum or buzz at any level - so to hear it at -10db - it only means that the hum or buzz is there and only amplified more at higher levels -

you can check all your cables again and take it a step at a time - or disconnect everything and start from the bottom - just speakers - avr - and cd player - and listen - check your speaker cables - maybe there a crack or something along the line - you have to start to track it down -

This "hum" is a known issue with the TX-SR705. It has nothing to do with cables or connections. It's an internal problem with the avr. Check the 705 thread.

"I'm suffering from the dreaded upgrade bug"
post #6369 of 37423 Old 02-28-2009, 06:20 PM

Does anybody have any experience with, or opinions of the r-5502 in-wall speakers? I am looking at installing these in my new theater. Originally I wanted full cabinet speakers, but I don't have the space.

Also, has anybody heard anything about these speakers being discontinued or replaced. It seems as though they are disappearing online.
post #6370 of 37423 Old 02-28-2009, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hey everyone,

quick quesiton:

thanks
rick

I'm curious if you used the same microphone positions with your Audyssey setup this time as you did the previous time. Or have you moved your speakers or rearranged the furniture in the room? I'm having trouble figuring why there would be that much difference.

Steve

post #6371 of 37423 Old 02-28-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

get yourself a spl meter from radioshack. that will get you at least close to what the levels should be.

what levels should they be at if I were to get an SPL meter, pardon my newbishness...

Quote:

I'm curious if you used the same microphone positions with your Audyssey setup this time as you did the previous time. Or have you moved your speakers or rearranged the furniture in the room? I'm having trouble figuring why there would be that much difference.

As far as I know I have not done anything different with the room arrangement, and the mics are in the same spot. I did move my RW-10d from under my end table in the left middle of my room to the front right corner, which is why I redid the auto setup. I then placed a paradigm 8" sub where the klipsch used to be. Do you think that has anything to do with it?

If I remember correctly, I did not have the paradigm hooked up when I ran audyssey, as to not mess with the calibration.
post #6372 of 37423 Old 03-01-2009, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:

hey everyone,

quick quesiton:

I reran odyssey the other day when I moved my sub, and now it seems like I need to turn my whole system up a lot louder to hear it...

What are the trim levels Audyssey set for your speakers and sub?
post #6373 of 37423 Old 03-01-2009, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...As far as I know I have not done anything different with the room arrangement, and the mics are in the same spot. I did move my RW-10d from under my end table in the left middle of my room to the front right corner, which is why I redid the auto setup. I then placed a paradigm 8" sub where the klipsch used to be. Do you think that has anything to do with it?

If I remember correctly, I did not have the paradigm hooked up when I ran audyssey, as to not mess with the calibration.

All of the above will have an impact on your Audyssey results especially not having the subwoofer hooked upon calibration.
post #6374 of 37423 Old 03-01-2009, 06:23 AM

Hi,
I have searched for info if there is a new Reference series upcoming but I didn’t find anything relevant. Do you guys know if there is one coming up "soon"?

Thank you
post #6375 of 37423 Old 03-01-2009, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel86 View Post

Hi,
I have searched for info if there is a new Reference series upcoming but I didn't find anything relevant. Do you guys know if there is one coming up "soon"?

Thank you

Here is my opinion:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...d#post15138816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

I agree with rick0725, coupled with Klipsch's largest distributor discontinuing the Reference line and yet another large retailer, which sells primarily Klipsch Reference, going bankrupt. It seemed that Klipsch strategy after Ultimate Electronics failure was to go into the Home Installers market and apparently they liked selling the THX packages which were more geared toward their market.

Fwiw, I don't think there are lot of large speakers being sold especially with the downturn of the Economy and with the growing popularity of multi channel configurations, the smaller designs are being chosen by consumers.

Then you have the dynamic that when the Klipsch Reference line was introduced, it was their reference line for Home Theater use....Now they have a new reference line called the Klipsch Palladium to compete in that market and the (2) Icon series to be geared toward Mass Market speaker sales. Also keep in mind that Klipsch inc now owns several speaker companies and there is considerable redundancy in the various price points and the box design of the Reference line doesn't seem to be as appealing to the public anymore. My 2 cents.

post #6376 of 37423 Old 03-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

My HT system:

Klipsch Speakers
Mains - RF-83
Center - RC-64
Sides - RS-62
Rear: RS-62

I also own a pair of RF-63 towers that I am currently not using.

My HT is used for viewing movies only. I use a 80 hz crossover on all channels. Would I be better off using the RF-63's with the RC-64 upfront so that all the drivers sizes would match? Would this produce better timbre across the front stage?

John
post #6377 of 37423 Old 03-01-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post

My HT system:

Klipsch Speakers
Mains - RF-83
Center - RC-64
Sides - RS-62

My HT is used for viewing movies only. I use a 80 hz crossover on all channels. Would I be better off using the RF-63's with the RC-64 upfront so that all the drivers sizes would match? Would this produce better timbre across the front stage?

John

I would think the RF-83s would be the optimum speakers to have up front because it is what Klipsch Recommends as it's Reference Home Theater...Then again I would switch out a pair of those RS-62s with the RF-63's as side surrounds. ;-) Try them both since you have them.

Fwiw, my RF-7s have 10" drivers and the rest of my speakers have 8" drivers and they blend magnificently.

Btw, what subwoofer and AVR do you have?
post #6378 of 37423 Old 03-01-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would think the RF-83s would be the optimum speakers to have up front because it is what Klipsch Recommends as it's Reference Home Theater...Then again I would switch out a pair of those RS-62s with the RF-63's as side surrounds. ;-) Try them both since you have them.

Fwiw, my RF-7s have 10" drivers and the rest of my speakers have 8" drivers and they blend magnificently.

I thought the 7.2 THX ultra speakers were better than the RF-83 speaker package. Correct?
post #6379 of 37423 Old 03-01-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 View Post

I thought the 7.2 THX ultra speakers were better than the RF-83 speaker package. Correct?

Different strokes for different folks...

I went to great effort to try and like the Klipsch THX speakers more than my Reference HT because of size, but preferred what I have.

Fwiw, I feel because of the THX ultra II specs, the Klipsch Ultra II's have a more consistent Frequency chart without tremendous spikes, whereas my RF-7s (and other speakers) need more current to drive efficiently in a larger room (THX ultra II requires Reference levels in a 3000 cu ft HT along with other stuff).
post #6380 of 37423 Old 03-01-2009, 12:25 PM

I am putting a home theater into a partially finished basement. I listened to a demo of a set of 5650s in a local store and liked them. The klipsch-authorized store is selling them for $440/pair.

I also found a klipsch-authorized dealer on line that has RCW-5s for $374/pair. I know the RCW-5s are no longer produced, but their specs looked pretty good, with a greater range even than the 5650s. Does anyone have experience with both types? How will the RCW-5s compare? Why were they discontinued, what replaced them, and what improvements were made?

Three of the speakers will be installed in the wall between the finished and unfinished sides of the basement. I will also buy 2 of the in-ceiling versions of either line to install in the ceiling for the rear speakers in a 5.1 setup.

I know in-wall and in-ceiling speakers are not as good as floor standing, but the room is relatively small and doubles as a play area for my two year old. For the rear, in-ceiling are my only option as I do not have a wall to mount the left rear speaker to leaving the ceiling as the only choice.

Thanks for the help.
post #6381 of 37423 Old 03-01-2009, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Are these the reference speakers you are referring to?

I guess I am leaning to the 7.2 THX Ultra 2 plus speakers because I will have the Pioneer Susano amp which is Ultra 2 plus, so they should be easier to setup together (I think?). Also, I will get the surround back speakers and an extra subwoofer to boot! The subs that comes with the 7.2 setup are supposed to be absolutely sick! But I could get the RF-83 speakers and buy some surround backs and an extra sub. Decisions decisions.
post #6382 of 37423 Old 03-01-2009, 12:33 PM

so having both subs hooked up, from a split sub cable would not affect anything? I do not have the subs hooked up to seperate ins, there are on a split rca cable. I figured it would throw the mic distance off having 2 subs respond when there is only supposed to be one.
post #6383 of 37423 Old 03-01-2009, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My HT system:

Klipsch Speakers
Mains - RF-83
Center - RC-64
Sides - RS-62

John

The rear surrounds are what jumped out at me. I have a pair of RS-62s I use for surrounds and they're awesome, but for the surround back channels it's recommended to use direct firing monopoles. You may be better served with RB-61's back there.

Steve

post #6384 of 37423 Old 03-01-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so having both subs hooked up, from a split sub cable would not affect anything? I do not have the subs hooked up to seperate ins, there are on a split rca cable. I figured it would throw the mic distance off having 2 subs respond when there is only supposed to be one.

You can get away with as far as the signal is concerned. When you're using powered subs, the cable from your receiver only carries the signal, but not power like the connections for the rest of your speakers. The signal can be easily split between 2 or more subs with no problems. I'm not sure how it would affect your auto-setup though. You should probably ask that question in the subwoofer forum.

Steve

post #6385 of 37423 Old 03-01-2009, 12:58 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Would I be better off using the RF-63's with the RC-64 upfront so that all the drivers sizes would match? Would this produce better timbre across the front stage?

John

I would say yes to better timbre across front stage. I have a pair of RF-63's as my mains and consider them sonic monsters. But with the RF-83's there is even more thrust to make movies more impactful. Both the 63's and 83's are really great speakers. Don't waste those 63's talent anymore. Exchange them out and have 6.5" woofers all around or create an awesome 2 channel system with them.

Bill
post #6386 of 37423 Old 03-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
How does the RF-10 compare to the RF-52 in sound reproduction. After reading forums, reviews, etc.. I would jump on the RF-52's for the front except the matching Center RC-52 is too wide for my stand. The RC-10 fits the bill width wise, however I am assuming that it is not correctly voiced to go with the RF-52.

Any input would be appreciated. I have no local audio dealers to audition the speakers. I have only heard the "Best Buy" Klipsch versions, and the enviroment was lacking to say the least.
post #6387 of 37423 Old 03-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

both the RC-10 and 52 sound great with the RF-52's but the larger drivers of the RC-52 does open up the dialogue much more. Is it a noticeable difference? Yes, Is it worth not buying the RF-52's and a RC-10? No.
post #6388 of 37423 Old 03-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's exactly why I have an unused pair of RF-63's. I was using them as side surrounds. My current room does not have the space. I have thought about testing them in that position though.

My processor is an Integra DHC-9.9 with a Wyred 4 Sound amplifier. (570w in 8Ω (fronts)/ 250w in 8Ω (rear/sides) per channel) I had the amp before I picked up the sensitive Klipsch. I used it on my Definitive Technology setup.

I still use my Parasound C2 in my system. I use it's programmable channels on my tactile transducers signal. Four "original" ButtKickers I's lowpassed at 20 Hz. I drive them with a pair of Crown K2 amplifiers. I have been using tactile transducers in my system for around 10 years.

My BD players HDMI out sends lossless audio to the Integra and it's coaxial outputs DD mutichannel to my Parasound.

Currently I am using a pair of Velodyne DD-18 subwoofers. I actually installed them yesterday. I still have a pair of Epik Conquests, HSU ULS-15 QuadDrive System and a pair of Velodyne HGS-18's that I purchased in 2002. I have a a pair of Epik Dragons on order.

Thanks for your help,
John

post #6389 of 37423 Old 03-01-2009, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willland View Post

I would say yes to better timbre across front stage. I have a pair of RF-63's as my mains and consider them sonic monsters. But with the RF-83's there is even more thrust to make movies more impactful. Both the 63's and 83's are really great speakers. Don't waste those 63's talent anymore. Exchange them out and have 6.5" woofers all around or create an awesome 2 channel system with them.

Bill

I would be curious to see how much difference it would make to replace the current RF-83s with RF-63s with regards to timbre-matching. I understand that the drivers would all then be the same size in every speaker in the system, but I don't believe it would make any substantial difference, as far as timbre-matching goes. The RF-83/RC-64/RS-62 setup is the cream of the crop of the Klipsch Reference line, and I don't see any reason to "downgrade" from that if you don't have to. IMO, if you don't have any use for the RF-63s, why not sell them and use that $$$ to upgrade some other component in your system? Although, now seeing what the rest of your system is made up of, I'm not sure what would need upgrading. Please post back with your thoughts when the new Epik subs come in.

Steve

post #6390 of 37423 Old 03-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The rear surrounds are what jumped out at me. I have a pair of RS-62s I use for surrounds and they're awesome, but for the surround back channels it's recommended to use direct firing monopoles. You may be better served with RB-61's back there.

I also though about using the RF-63's as rear surrounds. Are not monopoles better for mutichannel music than movies?

John
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Audio , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page