Klipsch owner thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last
Speakers > Klipsch owner thread
WolfsBane's Avatar WolfsBane 05:04 PM 02-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyoncruiser View Post

Looking at the specs I think the rf-5 cabinets are bigger, (taller&wider though not as deep), The 1k is just for the mains, I'll uprade the rest later. I failed to menton the romm is 20x17 with a 12' vaulted ceilings and a tile floor. Because of the tile do you think the 62's would sound better.

You are right... the RF-5 are the predecessor of the new Reference IV RF-82. The above stated improvements from the RF-5 to the RF-82 is what I meant. I did not meant to compare the smaller RF-62 to the RF-5. IMO, the RF-5, if available at the same price point as the RF-62, is a very good buy. I think you would have the same things to consider from both speakers when it comes to the tiled floors. If I was the one making the choice, the RF-5 with their dual 8" woofers would be hard to pass at the same price point as the RF-62 with their dual 6.5" woofers in that size room.

petergaryr's Avatar petergaryr 05:38 PM 02-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsBane View Post

You are right... the RF-5 are the predecessor of the new Reference IV RF-82. The above stated improvements from the RF-5 to the RF-82 is what I meant. I did not meant to compare the smaller RF-62 to the RF-5. IMO, the RF-5, if available at the same price point as the RF-62, is a very good buy. I think you would have the same things to consider from both speakers when it comes to the tiled floors. If I was the one making the choice, the RF-5 with their dual 8" woofers would be hard to pass at the same price point as the RF-62 with their dual 6.5" woofers in that size room.

If I can chime in...I've had the RF5s for several years and they are hard to beat for home theater. Highly sensitive and very good at producing a convincing soundfield. However, I would agree that since they have a rather pronounced high end, room treatment and placement is critical with them.

I originally bought a pair of RB81 to serve as the surround rear channels in a 7.1 setup which included the RF5s as mains. While there is a difference in the design of horn for the newer RB81's it isn't so dramatic that it would be jarring to mix the newer design with an older one. I finally gave up on 7.1 and moved the RB81s into the bedroom where they are the mains for the system I have in there.
Iomgui's Avatar Iomgui 02:45 PM 02-26-2007
Hi, I m living in Europe and here it s very hard to audition the RF63 (

I came to audition RF62 / 82 and 83 yet and i wa wondering if the gap between the 63 and the 62 is similar to the one between the 83 and 82.

Ideally, i would have go for 83 but i fear they would overhelm my room, and they are also a bit too expensive (if only i was living in the US for US prices lol)

Have anyone audition yet both 63 and 83 and would be able to advise ... is there a gap between the two ? considering also my room size (18x17x7.5 feet) and my use (75% HC, 25% for music listening)

Or woul you advise that A 82 would be a better deal than the 63 (here the 63 cost twice the price of the 82).

For my other speakers, it will probably be RC64 and 4 RS62.

Many thanks in advance for your advice )
Mark A Gonzalez's Avatar Mark A Gonzalez 08:55 PM 02-26-2007
I was thinking about how 2 klf-30's laying on thier sides tweeter to tweeter would sound. What do you guys think?
JetJockey1's Avatar JetJockey1 07:54 AM 02-27-2007
Iomgui, hi there. I have the 83's and tried to audition the 63's as well but no one had them locally. From what i hear the jump from 82 to 63 is huge. I have the 83's in a room that is 20x15' but sound treated like a studio (almost dead) and the 83's are alot of speaker, lots of deep tight bass but they may be too much for your room (its square which is not good for accoustics) and be boomy depending on room treatments, i.e. carpets, furniture, drapes etc.. If the 82 are not enough for you, I would think the 63 would be a really good bet.
For more info, please feel free to visit the Klipsch forum and ask your questions in the HT section.
Regards, Chris.
http://forums.klipsch.com/Forums/
WolfsBane's Avatar WolfsBane 12:33 PM 02-28-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey1 View Post

Iomgui, hi there. I have the 83's and tried to audition the 63's as well but no one had them locally. From what i hear the jump from 82 to 63 is huge. I have the 83's in a room that is 20x15' but sound treated like a studio (almost dead) and the 83's are alot of speaker, lots of deep tight bass but they may be too much for your room (its square which is not good for accoustics) and be boomy depending on room treatments, i.e. carpets, furniture, drapes etc.. If the 82 are not enough for you, I would think the 63 would be a really good bet.
For more info, please feel free to visit the Klipsch forum and ask your questions in the HT section.
Regards, Chris.
http://forums.klipsch.com/Forums/

There is a big difference from the RF-62 or RF-82 to the RF-63 and especially the RF-83. Larger compression drivers among other things. Much smoother, or refined sound. The price difference between the two middle of the line towers and the two top of the line towers, however, is also quite significant.

Many consider the RF-82 the sweetspot in the Reference IV tower lineup.
jonathanR's Avatar jonathanR 12:53 PM 02-28-2007
Hey all:

Going to be framing a new home soon. The HT area is 13.5W, 18L & 10H, with opening / passage way in the back. I have RF-7's in storage right now along with an SVS PB12-Plus/2 sub. I'm thinking about finding an RC-7 and using R-5650-S for in wall surrounds and CDT-5800's for back surround. Question, are the back boxes, ME-650-W and ME-800-C absoultely the best route for new construction? Are they necessary? Just curious if they're worth the extra cost or if its cheaper to use a different alternative.

Thanks.

Jonathan
Iomgui's Avatar Iomgui 03:53 PM 02-28-2007
Hi Jetjockey1 and Wolfsbane. Many thanks for your answers.

I finally decided to order the RF63. I hope they are not so far from the RF83.

To be continued
WolfsBane's Avatar WolfsBane 04:18 PM 02-28-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomgui View Post

Hi Jetjockey1 and Wolfsbane. Many thanks for your answers.

I finally decided to order the RF63. I hope they are not so far from the RF83.

To be continued

Congrats! When you get them, remember that nothing brings out the best in your speakers like good ol fashion use. Give them music... give them HT... and then go back and give them some more music. What are you using for a sub?
electronleaker's Avatar electronleaker 08:47 PM 02-28-2007
Nice pick Iomgui!! I have the RF-82's and they sound great to me. I'd bet those RF-63's will just blow your socks off!!
Horina's Avatar Horina 09:57 PM 02-28-2007
Hello Group,

I recently moved, built a small home theater and set up my system.

Denon 1705 AVR
Klipsch Reference Series (small tower RF-15 fronts)

I am experiencing an annoying "crackling" sound during loud scenes from the right RF-15.
The receiver is NOT very loud (-13 on the display). I was able to get much louder at my last home without this crackling. I think I am overlooking something simple. Any help would be appreciated!
Glen123's Avatar Glen123 10:15 PM 02-28-2007
Last time I heard crackling from a speaker I blew a tweater.
Glen123's Avatar Glen123 10:27 PM 02-28-2007
I just orderd three audioquest CV-6 dbs speaker cables for the front end (R7's & RC7) The dealer almost talked me into a pair of Mont Blanc's but they seemed a little much for my R7's. I don't have anything hooked up yet unfortunatly. Still waiting on the Dennon 4806CI to arrive, plus I need a few more parts from Salamnder to finish tweaking my stand. I'm hoping these cables will meld with the Dennon component and Klipsch speakers. Any thoughts? I'm glad now I didn't go for the Monte Blancs, if I had I'd be wanting the kimber orchid (digital cable) next.
Zen Traveler's Avatar Zen Traveler 07:05 AM 03-01-2007
Hi Glen,

The Denon 4806 cl looks like the way to go and I wouldn't overspend on speaker cables.

I have had the Denon AVR-4802R THX ultra II running my RF-7 based system for over the last 3 years and am extremely pleased. We had a power surge at my house (lightening) and my sub and my AVR were effected. I have my subwoofer back up and running and I sent in my AVR last week. Right now I have a Denon AVR 3805 running my system and I am amazed at the difference. IMO, there must be something to the THX ultra II specifications. The THX music/Movie settings take any brightness out of the speakers and there appears to be plenty of power to drive all of my speakers at the appropriate level during multi-channel material. I can't say that about my AVR 3805. That being said--The AVR 3805 does work very well with my RB-75 based 5.1 system.
WolfsBane's Avatar WolfsBane 07:37 AM 03-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horina View Post

Hello Group,

I recently moved, built a small home theater and set up my system.

Denon 1705 AVR
Klipsch Reference Series (small tower RF-15 fronts)

I am experiencing an annoying "crackling" sound during loud scenes from the right RF-15.
The receiver is NOT very loud (-13 on the display). I was able to get much louder at my last home without this crackling. I think I am overlooking something simple. Any help would be appreciated!

Horina

You may want to recheck your connections. Sounds like you have a lose connection somewhere. By the way, -13 on your digital display is just 13dbs from reference level, or the max at "0". Thats pretty loud...
Zen Traveler's Avatar Zen Traveler 07:49 AM 03-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsBane View Post

Horina

You may want to recheck your connections. Sounds like you have a lose connection somewhere. By the way, -13 on your digital display is just 13dbs from reference level, or the max at "0". Thats pretty loud...


I agree about checking all of the connections. BTW, The Denons go past the "0" setting and It also will depend on where he has the individual channel's gain set. If the gain's are also set at "0" -13 would be pretty close to the upper end of acceptable range, imo.
Levi's Avatar Levi 07:59 AM 03-01-2007
After sifting through different threads, I still cannot find an answer to my question. I have 5 KLF-30s and 2 KLF-20s. I have already done the horn ed mod to my center and I plan on doing it to every other speaker except the mains. I have a big dedicated theater, but I don't want to give an extra 2 feet around the edges to get the proper sound out of rear ported speakers. Of these three options which would be the best' 1.) when I mod my surrounds and rears change the rear ports into front ports 2.) leave them in the rear and do nothing with the ports, but pull the speakers away from the wall and tilt them down more (could be difficult) 3.) leave them in the rear, sucked up against the wall and eq the heck out of them. Thanks for any replies in advance. Levi
WolfsBane's Avatar WolfsBane 09:09 AM 03-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

I agree about checking all of the connections. BTW, The Denons go past the "0" setting and It also will depend on where he has the individual channel's gain set. If the gain's are also set at "0" -13 would be pretty close to the upper end of acceptable range, imo.

Zen

How far past "0" do Denon's digital volume settings go? I can see the logic there with the prevalent advise to users to set their AVR master volume to "0" when they start calibrating their systems. It would give users some leway...
Zen Traveler's Avatar Zen Traveler 10:09 AM 03-01-2007
I believe (only by assumption) they have the gain calibrated into the equation and it may differ by settings (or is at a constant number--I haven't really checked) and models. If I remember right it is some where around +.....

{edit:}Check that. I just clicked on my AVR-3805 and ran up the volume and it stopped at +1. I let the "Auto EQ" set up and it adjusted my speakers gain to +6 to + 8. In the 3805's other setting (I am only using it in my main HT Temporarily) I only had the gain set up between 0 and +3 and I remember it going somewhere like +12 maxed out (nothing playing). I also had the same situation with my Denon 4802R and I remember it going to +10 to +12.
Iomgui's Avatar Iomgui 11:42 AM 03-01-2007
Hi Wolfsbane,

I m using a Magnat Omega 380 as a sub, but only for HT purpose. Considering what i m awaiting from a sub, my local dealer told me to keep that Sub (considering there would be none under 1500$ that would overhelm it in the range of the 15-35 Hz, in terms of dynamics, but of course this sub is not music friendly unless you like orgue and cross it very low) and just egalize it for room treatment for HT (i m planning on using a behringer 1124p).
sethhobrin's Avatar sethhobrin 11:59 AM 03-01-2007
Can someone tell me what would be a comparable newer Klipsch product to the old RF-3s? I have RF-3, RC-62, RS-52s, KBS1.1s.

Would there be any merit to updating my RF-3s or should I replaced the rear surrounds with RB-81s?
Zen Traveler's Avatar Zen Traveler 12:43 PM 03-01-2007
Hi sethhobrin,

I would consider upgrading your mains and moving your RF-3's to surround duty. That is what I did several years ago and after using towers as surrounds I still prefer them over bookshelf and WDST speakers. YMMV.
bis's Avatar bis 02:13 PM 03-01-2007
can anyone give me suggestions on stands for the rb81's.The WAF of the single column is better than the multiple.I'm just not sure of brand,height,or base dimensions.These will be on hardwood floors when the house is finished.Also should I fill with sand if available?
petergaryr's Avatar petergaryr 03:42 PM 03-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bis View Post

can anyone give me suggestions on stands for the rb81's.The WAF of the single column is better than the multiple.I'm just not sure of brand,height,or base dimensions.These will be on hardwood floors when the house is finished.Also should I fill with sand if available?

I'm using ones by Sanus in the bedroom.
petergaryr's Avatar petergaryr 03:49 PM 03-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsBane View Post

Zen

How far past "0" do Denon's digital volume settings go? I can see the logic there with the prevalent advise to users to set their AVR master volume to "0" when they start calibrating their systems. It would give users some leway...

I've done a full reset on my Denon 2805 a couple of times. When it is back to its original factory settings, you can rotate the master volume control up to +15.

However, the second you do an Auto EQ, or start messing with the individual channel gains, that gets reduced by the amount of boost you are giving to each channel.

The best way to make sense of Denon is just to do a good calibration using an SPL meter and some test tones and note what number on the display gives you, say 85 db at your favorite spot listening level. At least you then have a rough reference point.

However, since in my experience the recorded level of CDs and DVDs vary widely, just turn the volume knob up or down as necessary. As a spot check, flick on the SPL meter to see what actual volumes you are hitting when things "sound right".

I find that an average SPL of 85db, though way too loud for my wife, is about where I prefer things. I don't pay much attention to the actual number on the display.
cmoh44632's Avatar cmoh44632 03:56 PM 03-01-2007
Anyone in here still use the older Klipsch speakers (KR-5's, KR-3's, Aristocrat, Baronette) I know that the last two are Electo-Voice name but Klipsch was the one to design them.. I have a Aristocrat that is about 15 years older than Iam but I love it.....
WolfsBane's Avatar WolfsBane 03:57 PM 03-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

I believe (only by assumption) they have the gain calibrated into the equation and it may differ by settings (or is at a constant number--I haven't really checked) and models. If I remember right it is some where around +.....

{edit:}Check that. I just clicked on my AVR-3805 and ran up the volume and it stopped at +1. I let the "Auto EQ" set up and it adjusted my speakers gain to +6 to + 8. In the 3805's other setting (I am only using it in my main HT Temporarily) I only had the gain set up between 0 and +3 and I remember it going somewhere like +12 maxed out (nothing playing). I also had the same situation with my Denon 4802R and I remember it going to +10 to +12.

I think you are right... they may have well factored it into the equation. I can increase the levels for the individual speakers on my Yammie, but the master volume only goes as far as "0". With my system calibrated to "0" at the master volume, with all speakers adjusted to the same level as the left main speaker. Not a huge variation, but my system is certainly not calibrated to the reference 85dbs using the AVIA disk, (more like 89dbs at the primary listenining position). When listening to music, my sub is adjusted at the AVR to -3.
Glen123's Avatar Glen123 04:03 PM 03-01-2007
Thanks for that info Zen, I was sort of wondering if the Dennon would power these speakers. I went with two of the RSW-10 subs so I could crossover at around 100hz and take some of the load off the amp. I'm not 100% sure of the best digital connection from my OPPO transport to the receiver. I was thinking HDMI, or SPDIF to the receiver. I don't know if there will be much of a difference. I'll probably try it both ways.

The dealer said he's shipping the Dennon piece today, I should have it next Tuesday. I think it's time to get the three RS7's hung on the back wall. BTW is anyone doing anything with Discrete 6.1 H/T yet? I may need to inquire on the Dennon 4806 thread, but if you guy's know if a 7.1 dennon receiver can be assigned a discrete channel for 6.1 let me know.

I guess I should download and print the manual, but I've been a little busy lately. Can't wait to finally get this stuff in place and hooked up. Ive been down for like three weeks now, after breaking down my last system.

Take care
gitarzan's Avatar gitarzan 05:21 PM 03-01-2007
My older Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Bash computer speakers quit working. They don't do anything now. These were great speakers and I would like to know if they can be fixed. Well I know the amp can be replaced because I've removed it from the subwoofer. I've even found sellers on eBay who claim they will repair it if you send it to them. Does anyone in this forum have any advice on repairs for this speaker system? Can I find parts and fix myself? Is there a common problem that this system has that can be fixed? thanks in advance for any help
slacajun's Avatar slacajun 06:06 PM 03-01-2007
need opinions on klipsch rpw-10..thanks
Tags: belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop