Klipsch owner thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 40249 Old 04-10-2007, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What do you guys think about getting either RF-82s or Rf-7s? I see RF-82s for around 800 before shipping and RF-7s for 1000 before shipping.. I know the RF-7s are the older model and were the top of the line older model... would they be a lot better then the 82s?? I am upgrading from nothing, so I want to start with towers and eventually get the other pieces to match. I'd be using these for lots of HT, gaming, and some music. Thanks!

Anyone have an opinion on this? I asked yesterday but no one answered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 04:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Zen, that would be an option I suppose A heavy option, but an option! I'm using a Sherbourn 7/200, so I'm not worried about the power requirements.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #813 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groto View Post

What do you guys think about getting either RF-82s or Rf-7s? I see RF-82s for around 800 before shipping and RF-7s for 1000 before shipping.. I know the RF-7s are the older model and were the top of the line older model... would they be a lot better then the 82s?? I am upgrading from nothing, so I want to start with towers and eventually get the other pieces to match. I'd be using these for lots of HT, gaming, and some music. Thanks!

Anyone have an opinion on this? I asked yesterday but no one answered.

The RF7s are A LOT better than the RF82s ! So go for the RF7s if you can.
post #814 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 07:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Reading some reviews, I wonder though if I should think about RF-83s instead of RF-7s. One of the common complaints was that the harshness of the RF-7 is smoothed out in the RF-83.

post #815 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groto View Post

What do you guys think about getting either RF-82s or Rf-7s?

I have not heard the RF-82's but have heard the RF-83's paired with an RC-64. Althouhg a few prefer the sound of the more subtle RF-83's--I am not trading in my RF-7's. I can't imagine the RF-82's being in the same league--for that price as stated, I would jump on a pair if they were in cherry.

Madpoet,

I am waiting on a Denon AVR 4806 to replace my damaged Denon 4802R. Normally I like my RF-3 towers as side surrounds but the Denon AVR 3805 doesn't drive that set up as effeciently as the upper end AVR so I switched them out with my RB-75 bookshelf speakers which seems to work better. IMO, that Sherbourn would work well in an all RF-7 set up (and of course with smaller speakers as surrounds).

When I get my new AVR I am going to re-try the RF-3/RB-75's to confirm again which I prefer after having the former in place so long. If I again prefer the RF-3's, I am actively going to try to find another pair of RF-7's (I sit close to my side surrounds and they may be too big), RF-5's (smaller horn/driver, but still in the Ref-3 series) or even the RF-83 if I find it matches sonically to my tastes.

For those of you looking at purchasing the RF-7's--Keep in mind the RC-7 is the Center that sonically matches them and I'm not sure how easy those are to find.

I would be curious if anyone has expereince with running the RC-64 center with the RF-7's...
post #816 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

Reading some reviews, I wonder though if I should think about RF-83s instead of RF-7s. One of the common complaints was that the harshness of the RF-7 is smoothed out in the RF-83.

I have heard that as well. The only time my RF-7's sounded Harsh or Bright was when I tried listening to them with an under powered amp/avr at higher volumes in a large room. AT that time I tried running a 5.1 setup with a Yamaha RXV-800. I switched it out with a Denon AVR-3803 and deduced that even though they had the same WPC numbers--The higher current Denon drove my Klipsch better. YMMV.

BTW, I listen to Multi-channel music and DVD Concerts for hours on end and my HT is not fatiguing to my ears. My wife is 10 years younger than myself and loves the sound of our HT and never complains about "harshness."
post #817 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 07:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Great, thanks Zen. I'm talking with one of the Ebay sellers now about a package deal since I'm looking at 6 RF-7s and an RC-7.

post #818 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am trying to decide whether or not to get RF-7 or RF-82 to replace my RF-3s as fronts.

Would the RF-7s match up ok with my RC-62 center and RS-52 surrounds? I would move the RF-3s to Rear Surround duty.

| XBOX360 - headshotwi | PS3 - headshotwi |
| Klipsch RF-82, RS-62, RC-64 | HSU ULS-15 DualDrive | Onkyo PR-SC5507P| Panasonic TC-P65V10 | Emotiva XPA-5 & UPA-2 |
post #819 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Sethhobrin,

I have the RF-3's and have used them as my preferred side surrounds for my RF-7's for almost 3 years. Given that you already have a mixed set up you may prefer the RF-82's but I stand by my observations concerning the RF-7 (regardless of price within reason) comparison. I hope you get some other opinions.

Insofar as the brightness issue with Klipsch speakers. There is a guy over at the Klipsch Forum (DeanG) who does crossover upgrades for people who think their RF-7's sound "Bright" and I have never reviewed a complaint...Although I contemplate the "upgrade," I talk myself out of it because I can't imagine it sounding any better.

FWIW, I am EXTREMELY pleased with my Home Theater and after rereading several of my posts I can't really add any more except to say that you guys Definitely need to go hear the speakers considered for yourselves. Evidently people hear *stuff* uniquely and of course everyone's environment is different... Good Luck.
post #820 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Well, I've got a quoted price of 6 RF-7s plus an RC-7 for $3800 shipped. Itching to pull the trigger, but have to look over the old bank account

post #821 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Well, I've got a quoted price of 6 RF-7s plus an RC-7 for $3800 shipped. Itching to pull the trigger, but have to look over the old bank account

6 RF-7's? I like it. I told my wife that if she complained too much about my RF-83's I was going to buy 4 more to replace my surrounds with, as Ovation here in Indy has a big sale on them next week.

She hasn't said a word since!
post #822 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yeah, I currently run all Infinity Beta/Alphas for my fronts and surrounds, so the size isn't that imposing. It's more the wallet factor

post #823 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the replys.
As I start to enter the world of hi-fi I'd like my 2 channel system to sound better than it does.
My budget for speakers got me a nice pair RF 52 but I want them to sound better. I know there are so many variables.
When I play different CDs I see sometimes I need to push the loudness button on & also turn up &/or down bass & treble to get a nice sound.
If I go to an integrated amp & better CD player-the source as my dealer calls it I will get both better clearer & richer sound? Is that true. Is it not better to have a dedicated CD player vs a DVD/CD player and an amp vs a receiver.
Also what kind of equilizer do I need or get?
Also can I get hi-fi entry level sound from $600 speakers and a better amp & CD player.
My stereo store owner said I could use my Onkyo as my tuner & sound source for DVD, CD etc.
Is that true?
Comments please
Thanks all again
Wayne
post #824 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 02:02 PM
wje
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.woo View Post

Thanks for the replys.
As I start to enter the world of hi-fi I'd like my 2 channel system to sound better than it does.
My budget for speakers got me a nice pair RF 52 but I want them to sound better. I know there are so many variables.
When I play different CDs I see sometimes I need to push the loudness button on & also turn up &/or down bass & treble to get a nice sound.
If I go to an integrated amp & better CD player-the source as my dealer calls it I will get both better clearer & richer sound? Is that true. Is it not better to have a dedicated CD player vs a DVD/CD player and an amp vs a receiver.
Also what kind of equilizer do I need or get?
Also can I get hi-fi entry level sound from $600 speakers and a better amp & CD player.
My stereo store owner said I could use my Onkyo as my tuner & sound source for DVD, CD etc.
Is that true?
Comments please
Thanks all again
Wayne

Wy not add a subwoofer into the mix? Anytime, I've felt that my speakers were lacking when it came to music, the sub added the right punch - and, not in an obnoxious way. In fact, when I've added subs, I've considered them to abe about the best investment in gear for my whole system.

At this moment, I have a bedroom system that is very low budget, but the sound is really great. The gear consists of: Denon AVR-2800 receiver, Squeezebox 3 music player, Klipsch RB-5 speakers, Home-made sub with 240 watt amp and 12" driver in a sealed MDF box. I have a grand total of $550 in this system. The sound I'm getting from it, for music, has got to be many times that $550 price tag.
post #825 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 02:04 PM

What do you all think of the Klipsch RF 5's VS the RF 82's? I can get the RF 82's for about $100 less. Also the RF 82's would be new and not serviced by Klipsch like the RF-5's.

post #826 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I've had the RF5s for a couple of years and don't see trading them in any time soon. I also have a set of RB81's which have the new horn so I have an idea what the new design sounds like.

For only a $100 difference between the 5 and 82, I'd go with the newer model. The improvement in the high frequencies are subtle, but worth it.
post #827 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

I've got a pair of RF-7's for my mains, RC-7 for the center, and RS-7's for the surrounds. I've also got an HSU VTF3-MK2 sub.

The problem is that when I listen to two channel audio I find that there is too much bass going to the sub which could easily be handled by the RF-7's. I currently have everything set to small with an 80Hz crossover.

I'd definitely like to find a better way to do this. My first guess would be to set the mains to large and set the rest to small using a 60Hz crossover. Do any of you have a similar setup and, if so, what crossover points are you using?
post #828 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 08:11 PM

I just finalized the deal to pick up a KLFc7, 2 KLF20s, a pair of SB3s, a B&W ASW1000 Sub, and a Yamaha rx-v2095 receiver for $1000. I'll be keep the KLF stuff and dumping the rest to recoup as much of my money as I can.

Guys PM me with what you're looking for Klipsch wise, and I'll PM you back my companies phone number so we can talk pricing and get around the internet quoting restrictions.
post #829 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbossa View Post

I've got a pair of RF-7's for my mains, RC-7 for the center, and RS-7's for the surrounds. I've also got an HSU VTF3-MK2 sub.

... My first guess would be to set the mains to large and set the rest to small using a 60Hz crossover. ...

That's what I would try--I always run my RF-7's as large and your RS-7's can handle a 60 Hz crossover. {edit: I gather you are talking about converting 2 channel audio to some sort of multi-channel DSP situation}
post #830 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

That's what I would try--I always run my RF-7's as large and your RS-7's can handle a 60 Hz crossover. {edit: I gather you are talking about converting 2 channel audio to some sort of multi-channel DSP situation}

Actually... no....

I would like that when I play 2 channel audio I hear only my mains since they are considered to be pretty much full range speakers. However, when I play movies that have LFE, I still want it to sound good. I just don't want to have to change my crossover point for every source I listen to (unless someone here thinks that i have no choice in doing this if I want the highest quality possible).
post #831 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

If that's the case, then I would keep your RF-7's set to large and try setting the crossover to 60Hz for multi-channel material (keeping your other speakers small). If you don't like it-- go back to 80 Hz.

BTW when you have your RF-7's set to large in 2-channel I wouldn't think you would have anything going to your sub.
post #832 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

If that's the case, then I would keep your RF-7's set to large and try setting the crossover to 60Hz for multi-channel material (keeping your other speakers small). If you don't like it-- go back to 80 Hz.

BTW when you have your RF-7's set to large in 2-channel I wouldn't think you would have anything going to your sub.

Exactly, I don't think ANYTHING should be going to the sub when listening to 2 channel audio on a pair of RF-7's IMHO.... people, correct me if I'm wrong here.
post #833 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have your bass mgmt set up as "LFE + mains" there may be a way that could happen, but I wouldn't think it would on 2 channel sources not being matrixed. Good Luck.
post #834 of 40249 Old 04-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

I just posted on the Klipsch forums to get some more feedback. A guy by the name of DrWho with 9410 posts said this:

http://www.klipschcorner.com/Article...c-29f8aa90869f

Or basically, 80Hz and everything small (even including the mains).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Mike Bentz

I replied with this:

I would have thought that the RF-7's would be considered full range speakers. When listening to two channel audio, wouldn't sending everything below 80Hz to the sub somewhat detract to the capabilities of the RF-7? I mean, the bass that it is capable of between 50 and 80 is so much cleaner and tighter than my HSU VTF3-MK2 which is already a very good sub. Wouldn't an 80Hz crossover reduce the overall sound quality?

I guess this is all just a matter of taste. I'm just the type who tries to find what the majority calls the ideal method and stick with that.
post #835 of 40249 Old 04-12-2007, 07:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

So now I've got a nice quote for a THX U2 setup, so I'm torn . I've heard the RF7s. Just can't find anywhere to demo the U2s.

post #836 of 40249 Old 04-12-2007, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So now I've got a nice quote for a THX U2 setup, so I'm torn . I've heard the RF7s. Just can't find anywhere to demo the U2s.

Good luck on that. I searched for months trying to do the same thing. FWIW, and again YMMV, but I preferred My RF-7 based system to the standard Klipsch THX package--I can only imagine 6 RF-7's would be more awesome at considerably less than the THX package.

The power requirements would be more for an all RF-7 system (which your amp should handle) but I feel the specs on paper look better for the RF-7, plus they are reported to be better for music.

That being said those THX Subs are Awesome...
post #837 of 40249 Old 04-12-2007, 08:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yeah, I actually wouldn't be getting the subs. Don't need them, I run 2 SVS CS-Ultras and am MORE than happy . The real advantage to the U2s is size. Granted I'm using 6 towers now as surround, but still .

post #838 of 40249 Old 04-12-2007, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... Don't need them, I run 2 SVS CS-Ultras and am MORE than happy . The real advantage to the U2s is size. Granted I'm using 6 towers now as surround, but still .

No doubt! I have a Klipsch RSW 12 up front and a RSW 15 behind me and I still appreciate how low the RF-7's go cleanly. Insofar as size is concerned--The Rf-7's are narrower than the Ultra II's so with stands you aren't saving much room...Just a thought.
post #839 of 40249 Old 04-12-2007, 09:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Fair point. The fronts will all be behind a screen though, so less of a concern. I just wish I could hear them

post #840 of 40249 Old 04-12-2007, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbossa View Post

Exactly, I don't think ANYTHING should be going to the sub when listening to 2 channel audio on a pair of RF-7's IMHO.... people, correct me if I'm wrong here.

You don't have a "direct sound" or "pure direct" or something of the like on your receiver or pre/pro?

I have all my speakers (Reference 7 set) set to small and the crossover set to 80hz. If I put my receiver in 2 channel or 7 channel stereo, the subs are on and handle 80hz and below while 80hz and above is handled by the speakers.

When I put my yamaha receiver in "direct stereo" mode, the full signal is sent to the RF7s (no sub). If I remember correctly, Denon has the same thing, except they call theirs "pure stereo".

On another note, if you don't already have an external amp for your 7s, go and find yourself one. The difference is night and day.
Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page