Klipsch owner thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 38254 Old 05-01-2007, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi..i bought a new RB 15 model and i find the sound a bit boxy..am not sure of the exact term here but i hope someone understands....wat would be the best crossover setting for this speaker?? someone help me out..thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 38254 Old 05-02-2007, 10:57 AM

Fellow Klipsch owners,

I have had KG4.5 for nearly 14 years now and I have an opportunity to sell them for a good deal. I am thinking about replacing them with the RF-15's - am I wasting my time? I like the slimmer design of the RF-15 - but actually never heard them - I'm guessing they sound better than my 14 year old 4.5's - anybody want to chime in?

thanks in advance!
post #903 of 38254 Old 05-02-2007, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blding_THX View Post

Fellow Klipsch owners,

I have had KG4.5 for nearly 14 years now and I have an opportunity to sell them for a good deal. I am thinking about replacing them with the RF-15's - am I wasting my time? I like the slimmer design of the RF-15 - but actually never heard them - I'm guessing they sound better than my 14 year old 4.5's - anybody want to chime in?

thanks in advance!

You may want to go listen to them and get a feel for them with your ears. From what I've heard the age of a speaker isn't that important. Speaker design hasn't changed that much in a very long time. Cabnets on the other hand have gone through many improvements. So, I'd say just go listen to them for a bit. After all, they will be in your house in the end.

Other than that, I have no clue as to which would sound better. Never even heard of the KG4.5 or RF-15.
post #904 of 38254 Old 05-02-2007, 11:00 PM

Hey I finally got my new cherry RF-7s in... Oh my.. these things are amazing and HUGE! Everything sounds so incredibly clear. I am very impressed. I bought the Crown XLS-802 amplifier (got the 802 because it was a really really good deal). Everything sounds very good...my only problem is that it seems like these speakers should be giving out more bass. I tried them out with my computer connected with a sound blaster audigy 2 zs outputting to the speakers. It just seems like these huge speakers should have just a bit more bass. Did anyone else experience this with these speakers out of the box? They do have a good amount of bass, but it seems like there should be a bit more. It is definitely the "cleanest" sounding bass I have heard.

Another question also...

I am a college student looking for a good "budget" receiver to use until later down the road when I can afford an upper denon with hdmi 1.3 What do you all think of the Yamaha RX-V659 or Pioneer VSX-816 with the rf-7s? Since the amp is so powerful I just really need the receiver for the connectivity. I do have a 37in 1080p Westinghouse monitor with hdmi but any hdmi receiver seems to cost too much for now. I'd like to spend as close to 300 as possible for a receiver. I would be connecting my computer via dvi or hdmi and a xbox 360 elite with hdmi or dvi. I can output the sound with optical since I can only do dolby digital and dts anyway with a cheaper receiver. The monitor has 2 dvi and one hdmi so I don't need those connections on the receiver unless theres a decent cheap receiver that has these connections.

Thanks!
post #905 of 38254 Old 05-03-2007, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groto View Post

Hey I finally got my new cherry RF-7s in... Oh my.. these things are amazing and HUGE! Everything sounds so incredibly clear. I am very impressed. I bought the Crown XLS-802 amplifier (got the 802 because it was a really really good deal). Everything sounds very good...my only problem is that it seems like these speakers should be giving out more bass. I tried them out with my computer connected with a sound blaster audigy 2 zs outputting to the speakers. It just seems like these huge speakers should have just a bit more bass. Did anyone else experience this with these speakers out of the box? They do have a good amount of bass, but it seems like there should be a bit more. It is definitely the "cleanest" sounding bass I have heard.

Another question also...

I am a college student looking for a good "budget" receiver to use until later down the road when I can afford an upper denon with hdmi 1.3 What do you all think of the Yamaha RX-V659 or Pioneer VSX-816 with the rf-7s? Since the amp is so powerful I just really need the receiver for the connectivity. I do have a 37in 1080p Westinghouse monitor with hdmi but any hdmi receiver seems to cost too much for now. I'd like to spend as close to 300 as possible for a receiver. I would be connecting my computer via dvi or hdmi and a xbox 360 elite with hdmi or dvi. I can output the sound with optical since I can only do dolby digital and dts anyway with a cheaper receiver. The monitor has 2 dvi and one hdmi so I don't need those connections on the receiver unless theres a decent cheap receiver that has these connections.

Thanks!

I've used a "Yamaha/Crown/Klipsch" combo before and it worked out well. There is an urban myth going around that Yamaha receivers tend to be "bright" and may not be a good match for Klipsch. I'm not sure where that comes from, but I haven't found it to be true. Still, it is always wise to buy from a store that allows for returns just in case.

Your video connection options will be fine as you've described.
post #906 of 38254 Old 05-03-2007, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

I just got my RF-82s last night to replace the RF-3s I had for fronts. I moved the RF3s to the back for Rear Surround duty but they did not pass the wife acceptability test.... I am not so sure i like them either back there. So.... I think I am going to sell them.

However I still would very much like 7.1 speakers. I was looking and I think Klipsch bookshelves would work out very well on stands. Would you guys go with the RB-61 or RB-81s for Rear Surrounds? Also on Klipsch's site they have some neat black stands under there bookshelves. Where do I find stands like this and how do they mount to Klipsch Bookshelf speakers?

Currently I have RF-82 Fronts, RC-62 Center, RS52 Side Surrounds, and an HSU 3.3 Subwoofer.

| XBOX360 - headshotwi | PS3 - headshotwi |
| Klipsch RF-82, RS-62, RC-64 | HSU ULS-15 DualDrive | Onkyo PR-SC5507P| Panasonic TC-P65V10 | Emotiva XPA-5 & UPA-2 |
post #907 of 38254 Old 05-03-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

FWIW, I have the RB81s that I am using as the mains in my HT (coupled with an SVS 20-39 sub). It is a great speaker (bookshelf or otherwise).
post #908 of 38254 Old 05-03-2007, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Greetings,

I just came across this thread

I am in the processing of getting myself back into the HT hobby.

Currently have a pair of older KSF 10.5 mains and a KSF C5 Center....they are old but still sound great.

I need to get some surrounds....Was thinking about just getting a pair of S1 from local BB to try out?

Also, my next upgrade will be a new receiver....I currently have a older Sony 50ES but am looking for something that is a good match for my speakers...Would appreciate any advice from others that might still be using KSF 10.5s,

Thanks,
post #909 of 38254 Old 05-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin View Post

I just got my RF-82s last night to replace the RF-3s I had for fronts. I moved the RF3s to the back for Rear Surround duty but they did not pass the wife acceptability test.... I am not so sure i like them either back there. So.... I think I am going to sell them.

However I still would very much like 7.1 speakers. I was looking and I think Klipsch bookshelves would work out very well on stands. Would you guys go with the RB-61 or RB-81s for Rear Surrounds? Also on Klipsch's site they have some neat black stands under there bookshelves. Where do I find stands like this and how do they mount to Klipsch Bookshelf speakers?

Currently I have RF-82 Fronts, RC-62 Center, RS52 Side Surrounds, and an HSU 3.3 Subwoofer.

I currently use bookshelves as well for rear speakers... the RB-61. Love them.

Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz !
post #910 of 38254 Old 05-05-2007, 02:26 PM

Hi,
Any one have any experience on their allroom series speaker set (aka audio pro)? Thanks.
post #911 of 38254 Old 05-05-2007, 09:55 PM

I just purchased the "Klipsch" audio pro allroom set today....
Havent connected it yet; looking to see how they compare to the Athena micra6 as they seem to be the standard for speakers in this price range. If anyone has any experience/opinions, I'd appreciate some advise!
TIA,
Modster
post #912 of 38254 Old 05-11-2007, 06:14 AM

Hello Klipsch people! I'm not an owner yet, but this seems like the right thread to share my anxiety.

I recently auditioned the complete Reference series at a dealer in Athens, Greece. I was really impressed and I'm ready to buy a 5.1 system consisting of RF series speakers.

I'm however concernced whether an update to the RF series is planned for the near future.

I have a bad reputation of buying AV gear only to find out, usually in a couple of months time, that new replacement models are out for the same price.
Happened to me already with my CRT TV, my DVD player, my AV amp and even my current B&W speakers.

So please, if anyone has any piece of information regarding a Reference series update/replacement date, share it with me and save me from even more embarassment.

Cheers to all.

My English is so rusty even Hammerite can't cope with it
post #913 of 38254 Old 05-11-2007, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

The new Reference just came out last year so I don't they will change for while. This includes RF-83,RF63,RF82,RF62,RF52. Check there website for all the new models.
post #914 of 38254 Old 05-12-2007, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Hello supacoopa dude and welcome to the Thread.

If you search through this thread you will find most of the RF-7 owners who auditioned the newer RF-83's decided to keep their RF-7's. You will also find several RF-83 owners that are happy with their purchase. Then you will find one or two that own both and prefer one for music and the other for HT.

I am extremely happy with my RF-7 based system, which I have had for 4 years and would not trade my speakers for the newer models, much less recommend purchasing the RF-83 system over the RF-7 HT. If you search this thread for AVS member "Wolfsbane" he has an interesting take on the difference in the two systems.

Then again, no matter what my opinion, I have come to realize that speakers can sound different to different people and everyone's environment isn't the same. If I could have my Klipsch RF-7/RC-7 based system in Athens, Greece then I would truly be in nirvana. My 2 drachmas
post #915 of 38254 Old 05-13-2007, 12:23 AM

Can some one here tell me what are some good amps that would match up with the Klipsch THX-Ultra2 7.1 system ?

I was considering the Crown XTi amps, but after seeing Ruben "aka SandmanX" having problems with the Crown XTi amps I am not sure if I want to go with the Crown amps.
I was also looking at the Monster MPA-3250 SS and MPA-2250 SS but I'm not sure on those either.

I'm going to use my Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver as the processor/preamp.

Any other suggestion on amps for these speakers ?

Thanks

Travis

A Never Ending Project !
post #916 of 38254 Old 05-13-2007, 03:38 PM

I have 5 RVX-42's and a Paradigm PW 2100 sub, driven by an Anthem AVM 20 pre pro and a Parasound Halo A52 power amp. The RVX's are mounted on 30" high bookcases except for the center which sits on top of my 57" Toshiba HDTV. Sources are a Bell ExpressVU HD PVR and a Sony DVP CX 777-ES player. Over the years I have owned the RF3's, RF35's, RF25's, RB3's, RC3 and RC35 speakers. I am as happy with the RVX's as I have ever been with Klipsch speakers. Clear, detailed and dynamic sound is a Klipsch trademark and these RVX speakers deliver it in spades. Though a bit shy on the bottom end, I have them crossed over at 95 hz and the sound is superb. Hell, they have to be good, they are Klipsch! Cheers.
post #917 of 38254 Old 05-13-2007, 06:37 PM

Hello everyone- I recently bought a pair of used RF7's. The org owner had them for less than a month. I love them...But man they are bright lots of treble. I'm running
a Yamaha RX-V 659 and powering the 7's with a crown XLS 502 300 wpc. They sound great! Just a little to much treble. I set the tone controls on the reciver, and that did help. So I'm just wondering if this is still just a break-in thing or is there something else I can do? Thanks
post #918 of 38254 Old 05-14-2007, 07:02 AM

Hello,

I am currently shopping a pair of speakers since I won't need a full 5.1 or 7.1 due to space and installation (in the living room). So, I saw someone locally that is offering a pair of Klipsch RF-35 for sale. This is the older series. Are these speakers a good buy? I have seen a lot of people talking about the RF-7 and I do believe they belong to the same family of the RF-35, but with much, MUCH more powah! hehe. So I guess they are not bad. I am wondering if I should pass on the RF-35 and simply buy a pair of RF-52 (newer series). Those RF-7.. Man, they look nice but heck, 250W RMS! I would love to get these but in my situation, it is total overkill so the RF-35 at 125W is a nice fit.

Thanks
post #919 of 38254 Old 05-14-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Lynchman, How bright is your room? What do you hear when you clap your hands?

Parabellum, the important difference in specs between the RF-35 and the RF-7 are not really power handling. The RF-7 is 4 dB more sensitive, and it will play lower (32 Hz instead of 37 Hz). But the RF-7 also has a difficult impedence curve and needs good amplification.

post #920 of 38254 Old 05-14-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Lynchman, How bright is your room? What do you hear when you clap your hands?

Parabellum, the important difference in specs between the RF-35 and the RF-7 are not really power handling. The RF-7 is 4 dB more sensitive, and it will play lower (32 Hz instead of 37 Hz). But the RF-7 also has a difficult impedence curve and needs good amplification.

Okay, so the RF-7 could possibly be a good buy for me even if I do not have to raise the roof when watching TV and DVD? And what kind of amplifier could be matched with these? I was looking at the yamaha RX-V661 or N600..

thanks!
post #921 of 38254 Old 05-14-2007, 10:46 AM
EM3

Need help from Klipsch owners!

I am going to purchase some Klipsch RB 61's this summer. I have two options of either buying the RB 10 and I have been told this speaker is too small for my room. The room is 13 ft wide and 19 ft long. In order for me to sit in the sweet spot I have to ove a chair to it. My 2nd option is to buy a 3rd RB 61 and put it on it's side. I know the horns are 90 by 60 and putting the speaker on its side would orient the horn to a 60 by 90. I have asked several people how this would effect the listening field and I have received several answers including this one

"The RB-61 has 1" Titanium diaphragm compression
driver mated to 90x60 square Tractrix Horn. The
horn it self is square but the dispersion pattern
is not square, the 90x60. If you lay the speakers
on its side you will not physically damage the
speaker but the dispersion pattern will change.
The change may or may not be noticeable to every
ear."

Should I take a risk and buy the 3rd RB 61 and place it on it's side or buy the RC 10 and increase what comes out of it by using the receiver? My nearest Klipsch dealer is 1 and 1/2 hrs away and I only want to make one purchase when I decide to do it.

If anyone has tried a bookshelf speaker on its side please let me know how it worked out.

The sky is pink it's time to drink!
post #922 of 38254 Old 05-14-2007, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchman66 View Post

Hello everyone- I recently bought a pair of used RF7's. The org owner had them for less than a month. I love them...But man they are bright lots of treble. I'm running
a Yamaha RX-V 659 and powering the 7's with a crown XLS 502 300 wpc. They sound great! Just a little to much treble. I set the tone controls on the reciver, and that did help. So I'm just wondering if this is still just a break-in thing or is there something else I can do? Thanks

A lot depends upon what you mean by "lots of treble".

There are a number of things that can cause this. As has been suggested, the first culprit may be the room itself which could then be treated (carpets, more furniture, possibly even some sound panels).

The next thing could be the source recordings. What some people describe as excessive treble is often the effect of hearing detail information that has been on recordings all along, but which has been masked by other speakers that do not have such an extended high end.

The other possibility is that, though the Klipsch uses horn loading, its core is still a titanium tweeter. If you've been used to silk dome, or some other designs that are not as aggressive in the high end, this may take some getting used to.

Finally, your amp seem sufficient, so I don't think you are running into an overdrive situation. Sometimes a harsh upper range is the result of insufficient amplification.

Play a variety of music and DVDs wth which you are familiar on the RF7s and give it a week or so to see if your impression changes. You will most likely hear things you haven't heard before (that may or may not be a good thing).
post #923 of 38254 Old 05-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM3 View Post

I am going to purchase some Klipsch RB 61's this summer. I have two options of either buying the RB 10 and I have been told this speaker is too small for my room. The room is 13 ft wide and 19 ft long. In order for me to sit in the sweet spot I have to ove a chair to it. My 2nd option is to buy a 3rd RB 61 and put it on it's side. I know the horns are 90 by 60 and putting the speaker on its side would orient the horn to a 60 by 90. I have asked several people how this would effect the listening field and I have received several answers including this one

"The RB-61 has 1" Titanium diaphragm compression
driver mated to 90x60 square Tractrix Horn. The
horn it self is square but the dispersion pattern
is not square, the 90x60. If you lay the speakers
on its side you will not physically damage the
speaker but the dispersion pattern will change.
The change may or may not be noticeable to every
ear."

Should I take a risk and buy the 3rd RB 61 and place it on it's side or buy the RC 10 and increase what comes out of it by using the receiver? My nearest Klipsch dealer is 1 and 1/2 hrs away and I only want to make one purchase when I decide to do it.

If anyone has tried a bookshelf speaker on its side please let me know how it worked out.

I was told by the folks at Klipsch that the results may not be desirable because of the changed dispersion pattern. Other than that, it should really make no difference. Now... if you are considering putting your speakers on their side in order to fit them in an entertainment center, I would not recommend doing so with any bookshelf speaker.

Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz !
post #924 of 38254 Old 05-14-2007, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM3 View Post

I am going to purchase some Klipsch RB 61's this summer. I have two options of either buying the RB 10 and I have been told this speaker is too small for my room. The room is 13 ft wide and 19 ft long.
[cut]
Should I take a risk and buy the 3rd RB 61 and place it on it's side or buy the RC 10 and increase what comes out of it by using the receiver?

RB 10 or RC 10?

I wouldn't put a speaker on it"s side, but I've seen people put a La Scala on its side so anything is possible. It likely won't sound very good off-axis.

19x13 is large enough for Klipschorns on the long wall!

post #925 of 38254 Old 05-15-2007, 04:00 AM
EM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsBane View Post

I was told by the folks at Klipsch that the results may not be desirable because of the changed dispersion pattern. Other than that, it should really make no difference. Now... if you are considering putting your speakers on their side in order to fit them in an entertainment center, I would not recommend doing so with any bookshelf speaker.

Fronts would be standing RB 61's but the RB 61 being used as a center channel would be on it's side.

post #926 of 38254 Old 05-15-2007, 04:06 AM
EM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

RB 10 or RC 10?

I wouldn't put a speaker on it"s side, but I've seen people put a La Scala on its side so anything is possible. It likely won't sound very good off-axis.

19x13 is large enough for Klipschorns on the long wall!

RC 10 for the center channel. The best suggestion I have received so far is to use the receiver to boost the output more if I need to.

I wish I could afford the Klipschorns. Those speakers would cause a divorce. Hmmmm.... 19 ft sounds great but the room is a nightmare to work with 2 openings into other rooms and 1 is normal sized the other is about a 5 ft wide arch. On one long wall there are 3 windows side by side by side. So there are about 9ft of windows in that room.

Why can't things be simple?

post #927 of 38254 Old 05-15-2007, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Yikes! Can't help you with the room, although the basics required are two good corners along the 19 foot wall and a room suitable for that transverse orientation. But that's a lot of glass to work wth. Used Klipschorns only run around 2K$ (cost is relative, but I find them to be good value compared to what I could have gotten new for that price).

The RC-10 will likely sound a bit compressed compared to the RB-61, but it shouldn't be too bad. They are both rated at 95 dB sesitivity, so you may not even need to adjust the gain on the receiver to compensate.

post #928 of 38254 Old 05-15-2007, 02:25 PM

A little tangent here. I am the new owner of an RF-82. It was the only reference I could get from a local Magnolia here. If they had RF-63, I would have gone for that. That being said I am also not new to the Klipsch arena. I upgraded from SF-3's(now relegated to the Rears) to the RF-82 and I can attest that the this speaker possess a refined sound. It sounds smoother and less harsh on the high end. Not sure if it is just the difference from Synergy line to Reference line or a great design by Klipsch. It is being driven by Denon 2807.
Anyone willing to audition the RF-82, head to the Mt View,CA BB and IMO have the best audition setup for this. Milipitas, Sunnyvale and Palo Alto, have pretty bad setups.
And the price was right as well 425 per speaker. Now if only I can get a great deal on an RC-62.
post #929 of 38254 Old 05-15-2007, 05:21 PM

testing a set of klipsch 4.2 fronts and 1.2 rears with a rs42 sides kv3 center but need slammen sub...16x22 room 9ft ceilings -- under screen- any suggestions?

rsw10d is what klipsch recommends---but there is nowhere to hear one around here....

AC
post #930 of 38254 Old 05-15-2007, 08:54 PM

This is going to be hard to answer -- I have synergy series speakers throughout my home theater. One of the surround speakers has developed what sounds like a buzz or resonance. It is probably the metal grill that resonates. Is this a problem with these speakers?

I like the speakers and their sound. Driving them with Yamaha rxv2095 is pretty easy.
the sound is not distorted. It is just at specific frequencies that I hear a different sound.

If it is the grill buzzing, should I just caulk the grill so that it can't move?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Audio , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page