Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post

Well, it's official...

I have to sell my RF-83's and RC-64.

THese are such amazing speakers, but we had company the other day and my S.O's friend said our house looked like a bachelor pad with those "massive boxes" in the front of the room. Needless to say it was a very long night for me...

So, up for sale are some mint condition speakers if anyone is interested. I just posted them on my local craigslist. Here is the ad: http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/ele/2249466748.html

Wish me luck!

Show her some of our systems instead!
Or keep your gear for a man cave. My media room (I won't call it an HT room here because that creates expectations here) is the only room in the house where I get full control and can drop a 3x3x2.5 foot sub into. My wife wants speakers to disappear from view in the living room and has been asking me to replace the floorstanders there with wall-mounted cubes for years. It hasn't happened yet, but it might since I have the system I want in my basement window-less room.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13322 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
My current speakers (7-1 setup) are as follows:

Klipsch RVX-54 (2x Fronts)
Klipsch RVX-42 (Center)
Klipsch RSW-10d (Sub-Woofer)
Klipsch RSX-5 (4x Surrounds/Rears)

I'm considering upgrading my LR & C to:
Klipsch RF-7 (2x Fronts)
RC-64 (Center)

I have some questions about the rest of the speakers:

* Subwoofer: I thiink the current sub-woofer is fine for the current system but need advise about it's ability to keep up with the new fronts/center
* Surrounds/Rears: My room is 20x20 with lots of glass. I really haven't got the needed wall space for mounting RS-62's -- which is why I'm currently using RSX-5's on stands for the back and surround speakers. I'm concerned the RSX-5's won't be a good fit with the new speakers. If that's true, what would be a good fit for the new speakers for my backs/surrounds? BTW, I'm not adverse to going to 5-1 if that helps.

To see my set up and room layout, use the links at the bottom of this message.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Lee
Bump
if u go with the 7's then the RB-81's will work better just aim them @ the M L P
use them on stands if you can't wall mount them
I really think aiming speakers works better than the WDST that surrounds depend on & you bigger horns (with the 81's over the 62 surrounds) to match the 7's with 81's voicing will be way better

It might just be me but I Like My Horn's aimed @ ME !

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to listen to the RB81's too.

My System Diagram: Here System Pix: Here
Klipsch: (2) RF-83's, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54's, (2) RSX-5's
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
See links above for details.
post #13323 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu View Post

Can anyone answer the following question?

The 7's are clearly a step up from the 82s, 10 inch woofers as opposed to 8, 1.75 inch tweeter as opposed to 1.

However those numbers do not seem to justify that the MSRP for the 7's is nearly 3 times as much as for the 82's.

Does the fact that the 7's are made in Clinton Town (Hope AR) and the 82's in China (I believe) account for the rest?

While I am sure the drivers in the 7 are more expensive..that is only a few components.. you probably have to consider the crossover network as well and all it's components that might be of higher quality then the 82 as well. RF7 is there flagship reference speakers which should mean more attention to all details of the build. Not saying made in China speakers are all bad, my ULtra2 THX are made in china and I have opened them up and they are well built.

As for justification of the price difference.. well that is totally subjective... is the BMW M3 worth twice as my as my 328 ? To you yes, since you bought one, to me maybe not (honestly yes) but you see how it's subjective ? Someone may feel that the RF7 are well worth double the 82s, while it seems you are leaning towards the not.

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
post #13324 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

I have 3 RF-7IIs and have not found them any less expensive than I purchased them for. Anyways daily I check Vann's as they are in my favorites list and when I heard about the Klipsch 1/2 off deal I clicked the RF-7IIs and they were still listed at 1599.00 each. Other Klipsch products though had some killer deals.

it's Call-In Only Special
No web or site contact ,will show prices !

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #13325 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My current speakers (7-1 setup) are as follows:

Klipsch RVX-54 (2x Fronts)
Klipsch RVX-42 (Center)
Klipsch RSW-10d (Sub-Woofer)
Klipsch RSX-5 (4x Surrounds/Rears)

I'm considering upgrading my LR & C to:
Klipsch RF-7 (2x Fronts)
RC-64 (Center)

I have some questions about the rest of the speakers:
  • Subwoofer: I thiink the current sub-woofer is fine for the current system but need advise about it's ability to keep up with the new fronts/center
  • Surrounds/Rears: My room is 20x20 with lots of glass. I really haven't got the needed wall space for mounting RS-62's -- which is why I'm currently using RSX-5's on stands for the back and surround speakers. I'm concerned the RSX-5's won't be a good fit with the new speakers. If that's true, what would be a good fit for the new speakers for my backs/surrounds? BTW, I'm not adverse to going to 5-1 if that helps.

To see my set up and room layout, use the links at the bottom of this message.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Lee

Time for some tough love from me...

It's not an optimal layout, is it? You are seated far away from an uncentered TV and sound system, with speakers that are a bit too close together. I'd guess that TV/movies is very secondary in this room and this is a compromise with the SO.

I'd first try moving the cabinet from the left wall and moving the TV cabinet and front speakers completely in the left corner, at an angle, and space out the speakers as much as you can, and rotate the seating in be in the sweet spot. You'll get more out of this that from a speaker update. It costs nothing but time to try out.

But to answer your questions: If the subwoofer is fine now, it will be fine later unless you listen to movies louder than you do now. The RSW subs are fine subs. The surrounds are a compromise, but since surrounds don't get a huge amount of signal during most movies, it's not a huge compromise. It's a different story for multi-channel music of course.

post #13326 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 08:17 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post

While I am sure the drivers in the 7 are more expensive..that is only a few components.. you probably have to consider the crossover network as well and all it's components that might be of higher quality then the 82 as well. RF7 is there flagship reference speakers which should mean more attention to all details of the build. Not saying made in China speakers are all bad, my ULtra2 THX are made in china and I have opened them up and they are well built.

As for justification of the price difference.. well that is totally subjective... is the BMW M3 worth twice as my as my 328 ? To you yes, since you bought one, to me maybe not (honestly yes) but you see how it's subjective ? Someone may feel that the RF7 are well worth double the 82s, while it seems you are leaning towards the not.

The 7II and 64II cabinets are made from actual wood veneer too. The 82's are great speakers though too.
post #13327 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I have been thinking about adding a second woofer to "play" with my SV PB13 Ultra. What is everyone suggestion. Would a PC13 Ultra be ok or would a PB13 Ultra be better stacked on top of each other? I currently have the PB13 in the Black not piano finish but I see they no longer make the color I currently have, would have to be the black oak.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #13328 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

I have been thinking about adding a second woofer to "play" with my SV PB13 Ultra. What is everyone suggestion. Would a PC13 Ultra be ok or would a PB13 Ultra be better stacked on top of each other? I currently have the PB13 in the Black not piano finish but I see they no longer make the color I currently have, would have to be the black oak.

factor has two different SVS subs and he loves em!
post #13329 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
nezff,

Love the quote from Megamind:"I say we go back to the evil lair, grab some ray guns, hold em sideways, and go all gansta on him"
post #13330 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

nezff,

Love the quote from Megamind:"I say we go back to the evil lair, grab some ray guns, hold em sideways, and go all gansta on him"

yeah, my little boy has watched this bluray three times just this morning.
post #13331 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

yeah, my little boy has watched this bluray three times just this morning.

I just got a quote back on two RF7II and RC64II. pretty pricey.
post #13332 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Just got of the phone with Vanns....yes, the 7's were buy one get one, call yourself and ask if you don't believe me.
post #13333 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 08:49 AM

I just called vanns and the 7II's were on the sale. Why didnt anyone that knew about the sale post anything about the sale? Oh well.
post #13334 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

vanns has RF63s in their clearance outlet for what I paid brand new.
post #13335 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 08:59 AM

Their normal pricing isnt that great. I tried to deal on a pair of RS-62ll's this morning and my local dealer has a better price.
post #13336 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I am not even in the market for RF7IIs, but am kinda pissed if it was a buy one get one free deal.
post #13337 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

It was a secret society deal on the RF-7IIs....everybody had to be quite or else......

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #13338 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is the chat from Vanns:

Josh: Hello! Welcome to Vanns.com. How can I help you today?

You: Im interested in the Klipsch RF7IIs

Josh: Okay.

You: Did you guys run a buy one get one free with these?

Josh: We ran a sale like that last week. It's no longer in effect.

You: so it was a buy one get one free on the RF7IIs?

Josh: Right.
post #13339 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Time for some tough love from me...

It's not an optimal layout, is it? You are seated far away from an uncentered TV and sound system, with speakers that are a bit too close together. I'd guess that TV/movies is very secondary in this room and this is a compromise with the SO.

It's definitely NOT an optimal layout. The 16 ft of glass on each exposed wall and the large open doorway in the attached wall make symmetrical layouts difficult. The room was obviously not added to be a Home Theater room -- I picked up this hobby (and enough spare money for it) after the room was built onto the house. My wife is actually very supportive of trying to make HT use in the room as good as possible. We love the room a lot, it's just not optimal for HT use. So, yes, it's a compromise.

Quote:

I'd first try moving the cabinet from the left wall and moving the TV cabinet and front speakers completely in the left corner, at an angle, and space out the speakers as much as you can, and rotate the seating in be in the sweet spot. You'll get more out of this that from a speaker update. It costs nothing but time to try out.

My wife has actually suggested putting the TV in the corner as you've suggested -- and the cabinet on the left wall is going to another room shortly too.. I may have to try it out

Quote:

But to answer your questions: If the subwoofer is fine now, it will be fine later unless you listen to movies louder than you do now. The RSW subs are fine subs. The surrounds are a compromise, but since surrounds don't get a huge amount of signal during most movies, it's not a huge compromise. It's a different story for multi-channel music of course.

I agree the RSW -10D is a great sub. I also agree with your comments on the surrounds. Not the best choice but the whole room is a compromise anyway, so they may do OK. I could always upgrade later if needed.

The RVx-54's are really nice speakers, I just was thinking about an upgrade to the RF-7's and RC-64. I have the room and my wife is agreeable. I guess I'll have to hear them to see if they're worth the money AND, I'll try moving teh furniture around too.

Thanks for the feedback.

My System Diagram: Here System Pix: Here
Klipsch: (2) RF-83's, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54's, (2) RSX-5's
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
See links above for details.
post #13340 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

they only carry black at vanns though. no cherry
post #13341 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Just got off the phone....took some begging and such but they let me upgrade to the 7's/buy one get one...YAAY!

Paid $910 for the rc 64, however.
post #13342 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just got off the phone....took some begging and such but they let me upgrade to the 7's/buy one get one...YAAY!

Paid $910 for the rc 64, however.

what did you upgrade from? RF82s?
post #13343 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Anyone wanting RF-7IIs better get on the phone also and beg. Congrats Dr.

post #13344 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone wanting RF-7IIs better get on the phone also and beg. Congrats Dr.

SOLD OUT!

Just got off chat with vanns
post #13345 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's definitely NOT an optimal layout. The 16 ft of glass on each exposed wall and the large open doorway in the attached wall make symmetrical layouts difficult. The room was obviously not added to be a Home Theater room -- I picked up this hobby (and enough spare money for it) after the room was built onto the house. My wife is actually very supportive of trying to make HT use in the room as good as possible. We love the room a lot, it's just not optimal for HT use. So, yes, it's a compromise.

My wife has actually suggested putting the TV in the corner as you've suggested -- and the cabinet on the left wall is going to another room shortly too.. I may have to try it out

That's fantastic. I was afraid that you'd hate me for saying all that.

I would first go through the trouble of trying different room layouts that would:

1- spread out the front speakers.
2- bring your seating closer to the display and centered between the front speakers (this would also have the advantage of keeping surround speaker far from the seating area such that one speaker doesn't dominate for the person sitting closest to it).

If this does what I think it will, and brings movies and soundtracks to another level, then you are on the way to take full advantage of a speaker upgrade.

post #13346 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur Darren View Post

Their normal pricing isnt that great. I tried to deal on a pair of RS-62ll's this morning and my local dealer has a better price.

vann's don't deal .. They are not set-up that way ...
u just gotta pay attention to the emails & web site
as I said earlier I got a RC64 in the clearance section .. New in the Box ,unopened. for Wayless than a RC-62 that Vann's had on their regular site on the same day .....
that Clearance section runs hot & cold all the time .. ya just gotta keep looking @ it daily
i've seen klipsch stuff show up there @ an outrageously low price to disappear minutes later ..
i'm a vulture when it comes to buying gear ...research the heck outta things then...I wait & wait then strike ...

Mike

post #13347 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

Exactly you nailed it !! If im wrong I owe him a apology but after his post im so crushed It will be a cold day in Klipsch land before that will happen Besides i'd bet the ranch its not the case anyway .

Somebody close the window; it's cold outside!

post #13348 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

vann's don't deal .. They are not set-up that way ...
u just gotta pay attention to the emails & web site
as I said earlier I got a RC64 in the clearance section .. New in the Box ,unopened. for Wayless than a RC-62 that Vann's had on their regular site on the same day .....
that Clearance section runs hot & cold all the time .. ya just gotta keep looking @ it daily
i've seen klipsch stuff show up there @ an outrageously low price to disappear minutes later ..
i'm a vulture when it comes to buying gear ...research the heck outta things then...I wait & wait then strike ...

Me too, however I really should be spending more time working, working out, w/ my family, or enjoying my HT....but I spend more time deal shopping.
post #13349 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Somebody close the window; it's cold outside!

.................L O L ....

Mike

post #13350 of 37508 Old 03-06-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

Exactly you nailed it !! If im wrong I owe him a apology but after his post im so crushed It will be a cold day in Klipsch land before that will happen Besides i'd bet the ranch its not the case anyway .

I didnt believe it either buddy, I just got off the chat with vanns and it was confirmed that the RF7IIs was included in the buy one get one free deal. He said Klipsch did not make them aware of it until the last minute. It could possibly happen again.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Audio , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page