Klipsch owner thread - Page 505 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Klipsch owner thread

Speakers

movies2090's Avatar movies2090
09:39 PM Liked: 10
post #15121 of 40917
05-15-2011 | Posts: 157
IT's true. I was the one who purchased said speaker. Got it all hooked up today and works fantastically. Shipping was great as well as communication. Trusted seller. Not sure this added much to the Klipsch thread though....
Mupi's Avatar Mupi
10:12 PM Liked: 26
post #15122 of 40917
05-15-2011 | Posts: 3,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by movies2090 View Post

IT's true. I was the one who purchased said speaker. Got it all hooked up today and works fantastically. Shipping was great as well as communication. Trusted seller. Not sure this added much to the Klipsch thread though....

I am glad it all worked out well for you and thanks for the kind words. This may not add much to the Klipsch thread except that you can always count on a fellow AVS member :-)
shinksma's Avatar shinksma
09:30 AM Liked: 24
post #15123 of 40917
05-16-2011 | Posts: 2,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

Love the set up and can’t go wrong with pink Floyd (David Gilmore)

Mr. David Gilmour is a member of Pink Floyd, from Cambridge, UK. Mr. David Gilmore is a (younger) jazz guitarist, from Cambridge, MA.

Thus endeth my Floyd-Droid lesson for the day.

And thanks folks for the speaker suggestions. Still looking for more comments on relative weakness or merits of MTM center channels and timbre matching surrounds with mains vs. 5 (or 4) identical speakers.

shinksma
coytee's Avatar coytee
10:34 AM Liked: 146
post #15124 of 40917
05-16-2011 | Posts: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

I have pretty well convinced myself that I would like to get five (5) identical speakers to ensure exact timbre matching, and that they should be regular vertically-oriented 2-way speakers to eliminate phasing that can occur with MTMs. I'm not sure whether my insistence on such matters will be noticeable, but I figure, if I'm going to do a sweeping replacement, I may as well get it as technically right as possible, otherwise it will bug me.

So...can anyone comment on their personal experiences with 5 (or 7) identical speakers vs. matching towers and bookshelves, especially considering multi-channel music?

Seems the Reference Series is the one most talked about on this forum. Maybe I should put it differently and say the Heritage Series seems to get less talk.

How close are you to Indianapolis, Indiana? I've got a friend there who's got a 7.? HT system based on 7 LaScalas and one/three (I don't know) subwoofers.

I HAVE been there to hear it and to say it's stunning is a vast understatement and an offense to the English language. The clarity & dynamics are unreal.

I've not seen your budget however, since I'm not too familar with the non-Heritage items, perhaps your budget is inferred by what you are talking about.

Here's what I'd do if I were you and had the space, money & wife. I'd start looking into accumulating used LaScalas. If you want 2-way, then when your budget allows, I'd modify them with the Klipsch designed K510 horn and remove/sell the K400/K77 setup to recoup some expenses. The K510 would allow the LaScala to play as a full range 2-way speaker and trust me, losing that crossover point WILL make a difference that you can perceive.

I didn't know what it was at the time. I attributed some of my gains in sound quality to aligning signals and other things... until someone who knew more told me to screw with my active crossover, put the signal delay WAY out of wack and see what happens.... It still sounded good but for the echo I was hearing!

Here's the bottom line... if you have the space, funds and desire...you can get 5-7 LaScalas and convert them into "JubeScalas". You can probably do so for less money than buying some of the RF speakers new (or what ever line you might be thinking)

You would now have all horn loaded bass as well as the benefits of a 2-way speaker with balls.

Do a search here or on the Klipsch forum for JubeScala. If you do and see the HUGE horn on top, that is not the horn I'm referring to (unless you want to go 100% balls to the wall). I'm talking about its smaller brother, the K510

You could then use an active crossover or, there has now been a passive designed for this as well.

Good luck in what ever you do.
tony123's Avatar tony123
10:47 AM Liked: 25
post #15125 of 40917
05-16-2011 | Posts: 4,994
Great suggestions Coytee. I might add, this plan can be implemented over time. I'm using stock LaScalas and trust me, it's no great sacrifice while I wait on the funds for JubeScala transformation!
Fastslappy's Avatar Fastslappy
10:58 AM Liked: 753
post #15126 of 40917
05-16-2011 | Posts: 6,775
And DO NOT forget about building your own ,the CornScala's & CS-1.5 from Crites , as I have done PM me for more info if you like ..
he's making the Cabinets now also

http://www.critesspeakers.com/cornscala.html

http://www.critesspeakers.com/crites...r-project.html
11:06 AM Liked: 24
post #15127 of 40917
05-16-2011 | Posts: 2,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by coytee View Post
Do a search here or on the Klipsch forum for JubeScala. If you do and see the HUGE horn on top, that is not the horn I'm referring to (unless you want to go 100% balls to the wall). I'm talking about its smaller brother, the K510

You could then use an active crossover or, there has now been a passive designed for this as well.

Good luck in what ever you do.
Hmm, I have to admit I have absolutely no aesthetic interest in having LaScalas or JubeScalas in my HT. They might be super-excellent speakers, but I just don't find them visually appealing.

Another negative is that they occupy a fair amount of real estate - my HT room would probably do well to have a little less stuff in it, and those would be a step in the wrong direction. The RF-82 II size is about as big as I would like to go - I think the floorspace the RF-82s occupy is about the same as my current speakers; the RF-82s are deeper, but my current speakers are wider.

I guess what I'm saying is that the current Klipsch Reference Series is what I would choose from, if I buy Klipsch. But your suggestions are appreciated!

shinksma
Reference_head's Avatar Reference_head
12:30 PM Liked: 716
post #15128 of 40917
05-16-2011 | Posts: 2,020
Quote:
Mr. David Gilmour is a member of Pink Floyd, from Cambridge, UK. Mr. David Gilmore is a (younger) jazz guitarist, from Cambridge, MA.

Thus endeth my Floyd-Droid lesson for the day.

And thanks folks for the speaker suggestions. Still looking for more comments on relative weakness or merits of MTM center channels and timbre matching surrounds with mains vs. 5 (or 4) identical speakers.

shinksma
Wright person wrong spelling
stewey1200's Avatar stewey1200
02:21 PM Liked: 10
post #15129 of 40917
05-16-2011 | Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

If you get the rs-62s or even the rs-52 im sure you will love them they're built to do exactly what surrounds are meant to do. I ran the rf-82s as rears before I sold them when I upgraded to the rf-7ii. To me the sound was to direct almost like it wasn't surround but more like 5 channel stereo. Plus if you run direct speakers they have to be set up to face right at you. I'm not saying the rf-82s won't sound good as rears I'm just saying that's not really what they're mainly designed for whereas the RS stuff is. There will always be some who will go against the grain like I run all my speakers as large and even have 3 really nice subs. But to me it makes the subs sound better not getting such a hot signal at mid frequencies and It's easier for me to get a flat response(with the sms-1) in my room setting it up like that,and it just sounds better. 95% or more on here will probably say they set everything at small. And that normally would be the better choice. So floor standing rears might be perfect for you. Also if you do a lot 5 channel music having all floor standing speakers would be a plus.

can rs62 be used for 5 ch music or will it sound weird?
02:41 PM Liked: 753
post #15130 of 40917
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewey1200 View Post

I vote on them(RS-62's) being weird as 5 channel music ,
but that's a " my ears in my room" thing

ALERT ! disclaimer I M H O ALERT !

coytee's Avatar coytee
03:26 PM Liked: 146
post #15131 of 40917
05-16-2011 | Posts: 1,176
Quote:

Hmm, I have to admit I have absolutely no aesthetic interest in having LaScalas or JubeScalas in my HT. They might be super-excellent speakers, but I just don't find them visually appealing.

Sounds good! For some people it's all about the sound and for some it's not.
psgcdn's Avatar psgcdn
06:43 PM Liked: 258
post #15132 of 40917
05-16-2011 | Posts: 4,696
Quote:

Another negative is that they occupy a fair amount of real estate - my HT room would probably do well to have a little less stuff in it, and those would be a step in the wrong direction. The RF-82 II size is about as big as I would like to go - I think the floorspace the RF-82s occupy is about the same as my current speakers; the RF-82s are deeper, but my current speakers are wider.

I guess what I'm saying is that the current Klipsch Reference Series is what I would choose from, if I buy Klipsch. But your suggestions are appreciated!

shinksma

For my taste, Klipschorns are a lot nicer to look at than Reference. And the floor space issue is moot for me as the Klipschorns fit into corners (as opposed to speakers that need to be away from wall and thus take up even more real space) and I built my center La Scala into the wall. (No, that's not a 32-inch display; it's 50 inches in a wide-angle picture. But I can eventually fit a 65-inch display in that inset and am planing a 120-inch wide 2.35:1 format screen to drop in front of the display)

07:43 PM Liked: 753
post #15133 of 40917
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

For my taste, Klipschorns are a lot nicer to look at than Reference. And the floor space issue is moot for me as the Klipschorns fit into corners (as opposed to speakers that need to be away from wall and thus take up even more real space) and I built my center La Scala into the wall. (No, that's not a 32-inch display; it's 50 inches in a wide-angle picture. But I can eventually fit a 65-inch display in that inset and am planing a 120-inch wide 2.35:1 format screen to drop in front of the display)

Peter , that is Soooooooooooooooo....

SweeT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
.................................. BUT what do you use for surrounds ??
nezff's Avatar nezff
08:04 PM Liked: 30
post #15134 of 40917
05-16-2011 | Posts: 4,305
nice
11:07 PM Liked: 716
post #15135 of 40917
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewey1200 View Post

I don't think it sounds weird, but for music a big floor standing speaker will always have the advantage. (With all things being equal of course like rf-82 vs rf-52 or anything smaller in the same line) I personally don't think much of 5 channel stereo for music. I do like 5.1 music when it's mixed as 5.1 that sounds great imo.
11:31 PM Liked: 716
post #15136 of 40917
Quote:

shinksma

I think the khorns look amazing but other than that the rest of the Heritage line wouldn't get past my garage (look wise). I think that's probably why we don't see them in stores or in any kind of ads. They must know they don't pass the wife test or the modern look test. I'm also surprised they haven't done more to give the boxes a face lift because they are truly amazing sounding speakers, and if it wasn't for them being so good for all those years klipsch wouldn't even be here and be worth the 166 million they sold themselves for. Heritage used to be in every store that sold klipsch in the 80s and 90s. Maybe the top reference line stuff is the face lift to them.
StuBerger's Avatar StuBerger
03:57 AM Liked: 11
post #15137 of 40917
05-17-2011 | Posts: 1,089
Quote:

Klipschhorns are nice and yours look great however, I have to say the Reference line looks better IMHO in a HT unless your using a very large screen and projector...those larger, older Klipschs look way out of scale with the TV's....
tony123's Avatar tony123
05:48 AM Liked: 25
post #15138 of 40917
05-17-2011 | Posts: 4,994
Are you guys florists or audio hobbiest? geez. I'll send you all a bouquet of flowers so you have something pretty to look at.

Respectfully, I understand the comments on Heritage (even though it hurts my feelings). I also understand that some folks make their choices for reasons other than audio. And, some make them for audio and choose Reference.

It's an interesting topic though. I'm blessed with a room that allows me to choose just about anything on the market and make that decision 100% based on the sound I prefer. Not only are my LaScalas big and awkward, but add the two Danley's into the mix and my room could start to look like a warehouse.

That said, I would enjoy having some Nautilus in my upstairs living room! If you're going for pretty, it don't get much better than that. Hell they wouldn't even have to have drivers in them. Just some Nautilus cabinets as a piece of sculpture.
07:31 AM Liked: 24
post #15139 of 40917
05-17-2011 | Posts: 2,909
Quote:

If I had a room as spartan as that then, indeed, the Klipschorns would work. Unfortunately, I have my music gear (guitars, drums, keyboards, amps, etc) in the same room, since I don't have two rec-rooms that are > 4000 cu ft in my house. So my man-cave is doing double-duty.

Nonetheless, you have given me food for thought, and I will ponder on it further. As originally mentioned, I'm in no hurry, just doing background research for the eventual day when upgraditis strikes again.

shinksma
nezff's Avatar nezff
07:54 AM Liked: 30
post #15140 of 40917
05-17-2011 | Posts: 4,305
If they didnt have to be corner loaded, I think they would appeal to more people. Myself included.
tony123's Avatar tony123
07:57 AM Liked: 25
post #15141 of 40917
LaScala is the same set of drivers in a cabinet that doesn't have to be corner loaded. You loose the low end, but that doesn't matter in a system with a subwoofer.
nezff's Avatar nezff
08:07 AM Liked: 30
post #15142 of 40917
05-17-2011 | Posts: 4,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

LaScala is the same set of drivers in a cabinet that doesn't have to be corner loaded. You loose the low end, but that doesn't matter in a system with a subwoofer.

true. subs make a difference Im sure.
09:23 AM Liked: 753
post #15143 of 40917
05-17-2011 | Posts: 6,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Are you guys florists or audio hobbiest? geez. I'll send you all a bouquet of flowers so you have something pretty to look at.

Respectfully, I understand the comments on Heritage (even though it hurts my feelings). I also understand that some folks make their choices for reasons other than audio. And, some make them for audio and choose Reference.

It's an interesting topic though. I'm blessed with a room that allows me to choose just about anything on the market and make that decision 100% based on the sound I prefer. Not only are my LaScalas big and awkward, but add the two Danley's into the mix and my room could start to look like a warehouse.

That said, I would enjoy having some Nautilus in my upstairs living room! If you're going for pretty, it don't get much better than that. Hell they wouldn't even have to have drivers in them. Just some Nautilus cabinets as a piece of sculpture.

Me I'm in Tony's corner ,,, looks take a back seat to the Sound any day !
if I had a bigger room I'd have that 2 way Jube-Scala Like Coytee has times 4 ..

i'm lucky I've got a wife who understands most of the time L O L !
coytee's Avatar coytee
09:45 AM Liked: 146
post #15144 of 40917
05-17-2011 | Posts: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

If they didnt have to be corner loaded, I think they would appeal to more people. Myself included.

The irony (to me) is, that is what helps make them so darn space efficient.

See a Khorn sitting out in the middle of the room and you are going to see a MONSTER sized speaker. One that virtually any wife will typically snarl at the prospect of being brought into the home.

Put it where it belongs though and all the sudden that huge behemoth of a speaker is taking up far less "room space" than a pair of HPM 100's or electrostatics or Cornwalls or....
dave1701's Avatar dave1701
10:04 AM Liked: 10
post #15145 of 40917
05-17-2011 | Posts: 11
I have klipsch 2.1 promedia speakers. They're prettygood,but I just hope they don't break. There are alot of reviewers cursing at their lack of longevity.
coytee's Avatar coytee
11:26 AM Liked: 146
post #15146 of 40917
Regarding the Promedia's... I've had a pair for geez... 8 years or so?

I think the real problem with them isn't the speakers per se', I think it's the cord with the DIN plug (or at least I think it's called a DIN connection....the one that goes INTO the subwoofer)

The connector on mine broke in half. Meaning, the male plug that goes into the subwoofer seperated from the wires INTERNALLY causing some noise and finally, caused it to quit.

Someone has come up with a fix with a specific Radio Shack part number. I don't know the part number but it's $10/$15 for the replacement plug as I recall. They also have the schematic as to which wire on the RS wire matches the original wire in the Klipsch wire.

Meaning, it is NOT "red to red" and "blue to blue" It might be red to green, blue to yellow and striped to checkers.

Once you go through that and put it back together, it works just fine. Speaking for myself of course.
psgcdn's Avatar psgcdn
01:12 PM Liked: 258
post #15147 of 40917
05-17-2011 | Posts: 4,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

SweeT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use wall-mounted Heresy II. One is inset to stay out of the way and the other two are just hung.

coytee's Avatar coytee
02:22 PM Liked: 146
post #15148 of 40917
Quote:

the other two are just hung

Nothing like hung Heresy's....

psgcdn's Avatar psgcdn
02:47 PM Liked: 258
post #15149 of 40917
05-17-2011 | Posts: 4,696
I really meant wall-mounted rather than hung. The same system is used as for the previously shown inset speaker, except inset into the wall rather than flush-mounted on the wall.

See http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/73477/722354.aspx
tony123's Avatar tony123
03:01 PM Liked: 25
post #15150 of 40917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

SweeT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got a pair of Heresies in the rear too. But mine aren't "hung" They are built into the upper cabinets in the back of the room in a custom enclosure with removable fabric panels. The room is still in progress, so this isn't the finished look, but you get the idea.

During construction:

A little further developed:

Close to finished:

Tags: belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread