post #1621 of 37297 Old 12-02-2007, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucl3arboNg View Post

can somebody tell me what the RT-12D subwoofer retails for, and how it compares to the mainstream favorites (pb13 ultra, axiom ep-500 etc..)?

please and thank you

RT-12D retails for 2,000 dollars. It's a really impressive sub but a lot of what you're paying for is the unique styling.

This is probably about as good and at half the cost.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3-ho.html

I think the best deal in Klipsch subs is the RW-12D, its a 350 watt sub and it sounds fantastic. It retails for 699.00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 37297 Old 12-02-2007, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykid83 View Post

If I go with the RF-82, RC-62 and the RS-52 now how would I do a 7.1 set up? Is this not meant for that? Or are the bookshelf speakers are meant for them, either the RB-81, RB-61 or RB-51?

Ideally no matter what brand speaker you decide to buy you should strive to match the drivers. This isn't always possible but if/when it is you should.

RF82 and the RB81 have the same drivers and the 81s would therefore be a better match for the RF82.

However the RBxx is not a true "surround" speaker they are bookshelfs. I tend to prefer the direct sound of a bookshelf as opposed to the dipole surrounds.
post #1623 of 37297 Old 12-02-2007, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You guys with the Klipsch Reference Line of speakers, did any of you consider Paradigm. How do they compare to Klipsch in your opinion? Completely different sound? Just asking people that have auditioned them and went with Klipsch. I just added them to the audition list when I get back to the states. Thanks.
post #1624 of 37297 Old 12-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Wap

I just receive my r10d Sub. It is the greates thing since slice bread. This is the bass i have been looking for in my theater room. I am in love. Here is my set up: RC 25, Rb51, Rs 25 (2x). Yamaha 7.1 receiver.
post #1625 of 37297 Old 12-02-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management View Post

You guys with the Klipsch Reference Line of speakers, did any of you consider Paradigm. How do they compare to Klipsch in your opinion? Completely different sound? Just asking people that have auditioned them and went with Klipsch. I just added them to the audition list when I get back to the states. Thanks.

I am in the process of choosing right now. I listened to the Paradigm Monitor 7 and 9 series, then 10 minutes later listened to the Klipsch RF-52 /62/82's.
To my ears, and I'm a greenhorn here, I thought the Paradigms sounded "brighter" than the Klipsch.
I prefered the RF-62's and 82's over the Paradigms.
I'm trying to get an in home comparison between the 2.
My preference is the Klipsch / my wife liked the Paradigms because they are smaller in size.
Will let you know which we decide on.
post #1626 of 37297 Old 12-02-2007, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:

Does anyone with RF-82s cross them over at 60Hz in the receiver? According to the specs they can handle down to 33Hz. This is assuming I had a receiver that can assign individual crossovers to each channel. I would want to leave an 80Hz crossover for the surrounds and center channel. But yes, how does/would this sound? Would it be good to have that extra 20Hz coming right at me through the mains?

BTW, which receivers can allow me to set a crossover for each individual channel?

Yes, you can crossover your RF-82's at 60 Hz and given the right AVR that may be the correct decision. My Denon AVR 4806 allows me to do what you suggest. My RF-7's are crossed at 40 Hz, RB-75's and RF-3's at 60 Hz and my RC-7 at 80 Hz.
post #1627 of 37297 Old 12-02-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

Yes, you can crossover your RF-82's at 60 Hz and given the right AVR that may be the correct decision. My Denon AVR 4806 allows me to do what you suggest. My RF-7's are crossed at 40 Hz, RB-75's and RF-3's at 60 Hz and my RC-7 at 80 Hz.

Thank you for this. I will look into some AVRs that can do this.

Now as for the Paradigm comparison. Hosemonster, thank you for the reply. Looking forward to your impressions.
post #1628 of 37297 Old 12-02-2007, 05:00 PM

Has anyone done a comparison between the RW12D sub and the Synergy Sub-12? Impressions? Do the differences justify the price difference? I plan on using it with the Vienna Acoustic Haydn Grands (L & R) and the Theatro (C).
post #1629 of 37297 Old 12-02-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykid83 View Post

If I go with the RF-82, RC-62 and the RS-52 now how would I do a 7.1 set up? Is this not meant for that? Or are the bookshelf speakers are meant for them, either the RB-81, RB-61 or RB-51?

Fly, if your receiver gives the same wattage to the 7.1 side channels as it does on the 5.1 rear channels, then just go with the rs-52's. Then you have the same sides as rears. Thats what I am doing.
post #1630 of 37297 Old 12-02-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Well my closest klipsch dealer was the Ovation store in Indy, they only had paradigm and klipsch in their listening rooms for the most part. They had a couple def techs and some others, but mostly klipsch and paradigm. I listened to 82's and 62's along with the monitor 11's and 9's. I thought the paradigm's lacked just a little in the low end, while the klipsch hit a little harder. I could also hear a huge diff between the horn and the normal tweeter from paradigm. Both sounded good, just different. So I had pretty much decided to get klipsch, esp when i went to magnolia and the dude didn't level match compared to some mirage's, the klipsch's sensitivity is phenomenal. Sadly ovation didn't have any paradigm studio's on the floor, i would have liked to compare those to the 82's. So I'd personally say, 62's and 82's > monitor 9 and 11's. I actually ended up with RVX-54's though cause they had a nasty sweet sale on them a couple weeks later.
post #1631 of 37297 Old 12-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

I have been waiting for a deal or BB coupon on the RC-52 and then I came to see that RC-35 is on sale at some websites. From Klipsch site the RC-35 is also reference series but it seems to be discontinued model and was replaced by RC-52. On some websites the RC-35 has a regular price 100 higher than RC-52. RC-35 has bigger woofer at 6.5" but their other specs similar. I can safely insert RC-52 into my tv stand but the RC-35 is just a couple of mms higher than the clearance. Anybody has expereince on both these two center speakers?
post #1632 of 37297 Old 12-03-2007, 11:03 AM

Hi guys,

Right now my setup is like this:

Fronts (2) = KG 4s
Center = KG 2.2
Surrounds (4) = KG .5

I have a 7.1 setup with the Kg .5s at the side mounted on the wall and at the rear mounted on the ceiling angled down a bit. They area rear ported and kind of heavy, so they are attached to the wall with Omnimounts, and they hook into the wall/ceiling into a wall plate with banana plugs. Basically, this looks messy (especially for the ceiling), and the speakers might be too big for the wife (they are 11.9" (30.2cm) x 8.5" (21.6cm) x 7" (17.8cm)).

So, what are my options? Can anyone recommend any modern smaller speakers to mount on the wall with the same loudness? Also, I might want to forgo the omnimounts and simply attach the speaker to the wall/ceiling itself. Does anyone make anything so I can put the speakers over the plate itself?
post #1633 of 37297 Old 12-03-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imitation View Post

Well my closest klipsch dealer was the Ovation store in Indy, they only had paradigm and klipsch in their listening rooms for the most part. They had a couple def techs and some others, but mostly klipsch and paradigm. I listened to 82's and 62's along with the monitor 11's and 9's. I thought the paradigm's lacked just a little in the low end, while the klipsch hit a little harder. I could also hear a huge diff between the horn and the normal tweeter from paradigm. Both sounded good, just different. So I had pretty much decided to get klipsch, esp when i went to magnolia and the dude didn't level match compared to some mirage's, the klipsch's sensitivity is phenomenal. Sadly ovation didn't have any paradigm studio's on the floor, i would have liked to compare those to the 82's. So I'd personally say, 62's and 82's > monitor 9 and 11's. I actually ended up with RVX-54's though cause they had a nasty sweet sale on them a couple weeks later.

Thank you very much for your opinions. I am looking for opinions though between the 82s and the studios. Thank you very much for the reply. I guess I will have to wait tell I get back to get any significant comparison between the two.
post #1634 of 37297 Old 12-03-2007, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you very much for your opinions. I am looking for opinions though between the 82s and the studios. Thank you very much for the reply. I guess I will have to wait tell I get back to get any significant comparison between the two.

Why specifically the 82s? Are you going to run a sub?
post #1635 of 37297 Old 12-03-2007, 10:46 PM

i just bought the klipsch f-3 and im looking for advice on what center to get between the rf-52 or the c-3 and also the surround speakers i was looking at the rs-42 or def tech bp2x i need help on a decision and which would sound better with the synergy f-3
post #1636 of 37297 Old 12-03-2007, 10:51 PM

On recommendation from a friend, I picked up some B-2's today for the start of my medium priced first timer system I am currently building.

I was wondering if anyone had impressions on them and what other speakers would go well for a 5.1.

I will be picking up the Onkyo TX-SR505 to go with them.
post #1637 of 37297 Old 12-04-2007, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post

Why specifically the 82s? Are you going to run a sub?

Yes but I might go the adding later route. I plan to cross them over at 60Hz and everything else at 80Hz. Maybe 40 Hz depending on how they sound. I'd like to see how 40Hz/60Hz sounds coming at me through the mains. But I plan on doing that with whichever mains I get. Plus the price is good. But I have to check out some other speakers as well.

Hey, maybe I can jump up to the 83s if they sound amazing. Then I would have to wait a while before adding anything. That would be the building for the not too recent future route.
post #1638 of 37297 Old 12-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
Well, months and months of going back and forth on which speakers is finally over. I planned to order polk rti, then switched to av123, then checked out the infinity beta, then started leaning toward ED.

Finally today I threw all of those ideas out and picked up the following system:

rf-82 fronts
rc-62 center
velodyne 4000 sub
I am just using some old Polk bookshelves as surrounds for now but i plan to get some true reference surrounds soon.

I could not be more pleased. I have to say I am most shocked by the rc-62. What a great speaker!!! In the end it was the efficiency of the klipsch, finding a great local dealer and the ability to sit and listen in an enclosed room prior to purchase that sealed the deal. Everyone's glowing remarks about the reference series really helped. I had some synergy f-3's on black friday backorder but after listening to the reference series I really felt they were a better match for me. It did cost me a bit more and that is why I will do without matching surrounds for now.

A quick question...is there a minimum recommended distance the floorstanders should be from the wall? Do most people cross the fronts and sub over at 80 if they have a strong sub? I was playing around between 80 and 100 but was not immediately noticing the difference.
post #1639 of 37297 Old 12-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

I have not done much research on this but I I knew it's better to leave about 1 feet between speakers and wall.

krispykeith, I hate you because I, too, bought the F-3 on Black Friday and am keeping them. How much better are RF82 than F-3? Are you going to keep both? I will get RC-52 to replace the center.
post #1640 of 37297 Old 12-04-2007, 11:12 PM

I got the synergy f-3 and i was wondering what would a good center channel be for them the rc-52 or rc-62 or would the c-3 be good? im trying to get the best possible sound?
post #1641 of 37297 Old 12-05-2007, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post

Well, months and months of going back and forth on which speakers is finally over. I planned to order polk rti, then switched to av123, then checked out the infinity beta, then started leaning toward ED.

Finally today I threw all of those ideas out and picked up the following system:

rf-82 fronts
rc-62 center
velodyne 4000 sub
I am just using some old Polk bookshelves as surrounds for now but i plan to get some true reference surrounds soon.

I could not be more pleased. I have to say I am most shocked by the rc-62. What a great speaker!!! In the end it was the efficiency of the klipsch, finding a great local dealer and the ability to sit and listen in an enclosed room prior to purchase that sealed the deal. Everyone's glowing remarks about the reference series really helped. I had some synergy f-3's on black friday backorder but after listening to the reference series I really felt they were a better match for me. It did cost me a bit more and that is why I will do without matching surrounds for now.

A quick question...is there a minimum recommended distance the floorstanders should be from the wall? Do most people cross the fronts and sub over at 80 if they have a strong sub? I was playing around between 80 and 100 but was not immediately noticing the difference.

Nice!!! I was thinking about the 82s as well and if you read a few posts back I was considering crossing the over at 60Hz since they were rated to go down to around 33Hz. If you have time, could you please do 60Hz crossover and play some movies with deep bass and let me know how the bass is coming at you out of the 82s? Thank you. Congrads on the system.

Dru
post #1642 of 37297 Old 12-05-2007, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Nice!!! I was thinking about the 82s as well and if you read a few posts back I was considering crossing the over at 60Hz since they were rated to go down to around 33Hz. If you have time, could you please do 60Hz crossover and play some movies with deep bass and let me know how the bass is coming at you out of the 82s? Thank you. Congrads on the system.

Dru

I have RF83's and I crossed them at 60hz in a 12 x 20 room. It sounds best to me this way. If you're concerned about the "boom" in movies don't be, as I've found that most of that is down lower than 60hz anyways. It seems to me like specifically 2 channel audio sounds "fuller" with the lower crossover.

Plus, as you mentioned, they are rated down into the 30's, and when I take the grills off and see those three shiny 8 inch woofers looking back at me in each speaker, I can't help but think the lower crossover is helping add a little "punch" to the lower mid-range while the crossover is still plenty high enough to catch the "boom" in movies.

All my opinions, of course, YMMV.
post #1643 of 37297 Old 12-05-2007, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daillest319 View Post

I got the synergy f-3 and i was wondering what would a good center channel be for them the rc-52 or rc-62 or would the c-3 be good? im trying to get the best possible sound?

Usually the latest model is better than old ones and the RC-62 looks better than RC-52 and C-3 on their specs and it stands good for future upgrade. But you have to listen to them to feel which is better or best suit your needs and taste. C-3 is on sale at BB and is the cheapest. Also measure your stand clearance since I can only choose RC-52.
post #1644 of 37297 Old 12-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stHD View Post

I have not done much research on this but I I knew it's better to leave about 1 feet between speakers and wall.

krispykeith, I hate you because I, too, bought the F-3 on Black Friday and am keeping them. How much better are RF82 than F-3? Are you going to keep both? I will get RC-52 to replace the center.

Ha...I am not trying to bash the synergy at all. I ordered them online and they were still on backorder so I just cancelled. Unfortunately I was not able to audition them in the same setting because the Synergy were at best buy where sound just sort of gets lost, while I was able to audition the reference at a local audio specialty store in an enclosed room. From what I could tell, and this is totally just a gut thing, the Synergy line seemed a little more snappy?!? In other words, they were a little brighter and hard hitting on the highs, and the bass was more noticeable. This might actually be even better for action movies. The reference to me seemed a little more well-rounded. In other words, they were still very detailed which I like, but it all seemed a little more rich and slightly less extreme on both ends. More detailed through the range but not as punchy. Again, it could have all been in my head. I really liked the reference center better than the synergy center looks wise.

I will try the 60 crossover and report back.
post #1645 of 37297 Old 12-05-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

Babypimin:

The Quintet II's do not come with a subwoofer. I bought the KSW10 to go with mine, I got it for $200 on ebay. The setup sounds great with my Onkyo AVR in my bedroom. I am using all the speakers but I have them all in the front rather than in a surround fashion. I find the audio a little better than just using the three speakers. Enjoy your Klipsch.

Thanks for the reply...

Which Onkyo AVR are you using? I will need something that has the HDMI audio/video passthrough..does your Onkyo have that?

And you didnt happen to wall mount your speakers did you?

if so, any idea how one would wall mount that center speaker? I'd like to mount it on the while just below my TV (which is mounted on the wall itself)

Thanks!

PS: anyone else can feel free to respond to my posts too! lol
post #1646 of 37297 Old 12-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

I tried the crossover at 60 on the rf-82's. I liked it but I am a little concerned about my receiver running out of gas for full surround. I think I am going to jump back to 80 for 5.1, and drop it to 60 for 2.1 stereo.

I need to play with it a little more, it was late and I didnt want to wake up the wife and kids playing with my toys.

I have to just rave one more time about the rf-82's and rc-62. After researching so many different speakers I expected to do alot of second guessing. I love these things! I know there are plenty of people out there bashing the klipsch as being overly bright and harsh. I realize it is a very subjective thing but paired up with my HK receiver the sound is anything but harsh.
post #1647 of 37297 Old 12-05-2007, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babypimin View Post

Thanks for the reply...

Which Onkyo AVR are you using? I will need something that has the HDMI audio/video passthrough..does your Onkyo have that?

And you didnt happen to wall mount your speakers did you?

if so, any idea how one would wall mount that center speaker? I'd like to mount it on the while just below my TV (which is mounted on the wall itself)

Thanks!

PS: anyone else can feel free to respond to my posts too! lol

I'm using the Onkyo HT-R550, it's the receiver that comes with the SR800 htib. It has HDMI passthrough but does not support audio so I'm using optical for sound.

No, didn't mount the speakers on the wall. If I was mounting the center channel speaker though, I would probably just put up a small shelf to place it on.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #1648 of 37297 Old 12-05-2007, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post

I tried the crossover at 60 on the rf-82's. I liked it but I am a little concerned about my receiver running out of gas for full surround. I think I am going to jump back to 80 for 5.1, and drop it to 60 for 2.1 stereo.

I need to play with it a little more, it was late and I didnt want to wake up the wife and kids playing with my toys.

I have to just rave one more time about the rf-82's and rc-62. After researching so many different speakers I expected to do alot of second guessing. I love these things! I know there are plenty of people out there bashing the klipsch as being overly bright and harsh. I realize it is a very subjective thing but paired up with my HK receiver the sound is anything but harsh.

Thank you so much for this. Let me know your impressions when you play with it some more on the loud side. BTW, can you assign a 60Hz crossover just for the mains or is a a global setting for your speakers? I'm thinking of doing it that way and all other speakers at 80Hz.

EDIT: Also could you clarify what you mean by your receiver running out of gas for full surround. I don't quite understand what you mean by that. If your saying what I think your saying, there isn't a relationship to you crossing over at 60Hz to you having enough power going to your other speakers. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
post #1649 of 37297 Old 12-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

krispykeith, could you please measure the exact height of RC-62? The lower shelf of my TV stand has a clearance of 7 3/4" and the RC-62 spec shows it's 8" high. I would prefer to get RC-62 over RC-52. But the glass stand can't take even a piece of paper's thickness over its clearance. So far I haven't seen RC-62 in store. I don't think I can take 62 to make it so tight with the stand: the viberation and friction between stand and center may cause unpleasant noise.
post #1650 of 37297 Old 12-05-2007, 11:40 PM

Just became a Klipsch owner today:

A 5.1 system with RB81 Fronts, RC62 Center and RS52 Surrounds. I will be ordering an SVS SB12 plus for the sub.

I have a just recently purchased Onkyo SR 705 rated @ 100 watts x 7 channels. After cruising through the Amplifier forums, there are threads dissing this amp in favor of its 805 bigger brother. They are going on and on how much better the Sound Quality is with the 805 vs the 705 and higher current and DACs etc. I can still return my 705 to CC. Do those speakers above need the extra current/ watts? I listen mostly to HT and no music at super loud volumes. Also, the 805 is like 3" deeper and it would overhang my cabinet by those three inches. The kicker is that I can get the 805 for like $70 more than I paid for the 705...

I haven't hooked anything up yet on purpose...
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Audio , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page