Forum Jump: 

post #18691 of 37368 Old 04-21-2012, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlryn View Post

Yeah I might just give them a try....its not like I'm gonna be blasting them. Its 90% movies and maybe some 5% TV and 5% Gaming (Wii/PS3).

Also with the Vanns card gives you 2 years interest free financing...so thought I might take advantage of it...unfortunately they don't sell Emotiva's! hehe

Thats why i was asking about the Receiver.....i could add that...just needed to know what was good. Looking at the Denon 2312IC or Onkyo NR809?

The 2312 does not have preouts, you would need the 3312 or higher.

I believe the 809 does have preouts but not 100% on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18692 of 37368 Old 04-21-2012, 10:12 AM

Liked: 10
Yeah i'm trying to narrow down price and which have preamp outputs.

I'm so far leaning toward price wise...Onkyo TX-NR809 over Denon 3312.

Are there any others in say the 500-600 range that would be better choice than the Onkyo?

External Amps....
Emotiva XPA-5 probably for future speaker upgrades on sides/backs or would the XPA-3 be sufficient?

Optional for subs i was thinking maybe?
Behringer EP-4000

Thanks again,
Urlryn

Urlryn

================================
Pioneer SC-1222-K
Emotiva XPA-3
Behringer EP4000
Klipsch RF 7ii
Klipsch RC 64ii
Subs: Pair of SI D4 18's 4 cuft sealed
post #18693 of 37368 Old 04-21-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlryn View Post

Yeah i'm trying to narrow down price and which have preamp outputs.

I'm so far leaning toward price wise...Onkyo TX-NR809 over Denon 3312.

Are there any others in say the 500-600 range that would be better choice than the Onkyo?

External Amps....
Emotiva XPA-5 probably for future speaker upgrades on sides/backs or would the XPA-3 be sufficient?

Optional for subs i was thinking maybe?
Behringer EP-4000

Thanks again,
Urlryn

the XPA-3 VS a XPA-5 ? future proofing yourself with the XPA-5 is a progressive way to think .
Amps last for ever
the future return rate on the sale price is greater on the XPA-5 .
the re-sale value is greater on the XPA-5 also ..
I have been watching Emotive XPA amps for sale on Audiogon & they all sell very fast

anyway this is all just I M H O , not trying to spend your money for you ..

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #18694 of 37368 Old 04-21-2012, 11:31 AM

Thanks again for all the responses to my questions, you all are very helpful members.
But alas I have one one question for the group...

For the surround back channels instead of the RB-81 II's and a stand (~$475-500 a piece) why not get the RF-62 II or RF-82 II's?
They will come out to be the same or slightly more and take up nearly the same floor space exect the sound will be much better with the 62 or 82's.
Not to mention a 28lb speaker on a pedestal will be pretty top heavy.
post #18695 of 37368 Old 04-21-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisamc View Post

Thanks again for all the responses to my questions, you all are very helpful members.

For the surround back channels instead of the RB-81 II's and a stand (~$475-500 a piece) why not get the RF-62 II or RF-82 II's?
They will come out to be the same or slightly more and take up nearly the same floor space exect the sound will be much better with the 62 or 82's.

that's actually a better set-up ,if you have the room for towers . are you talking the surrounds or back speakers ?? 5.1 or 7.1 system ?

Mike

post #18696 of 37368 Old 04-21-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:

It is a little better if you can get the surround back, up higher, about 2' above ear level. That is why wall mount works well for surround speakers.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #18697 of 37368 Old 04-21-2012, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post

I've been contemplating upgrading either my existing Receiver (Yamaha RX-V663) or my current front three speakers ((2) Klipsch RVX-54; (1) Klipsch RVX-42). Note: You can see the rest of my speakers and the entire HT system in my sig links.

In thinking about it, I've pretty much decided that the biggest improvement will likley be with a speaker upgrade so I've concentrated on that. With that in mind, I'm looking at the following speakers:

[*]RF-82 II Floorstanding Speaker[*]RC-62 II Center Speaker

I have three questions:
[*]Your opinion of my idea that the speaker upgrade will provide the greater audible change for my system -- fuller sound, more range, etc.[*]The choosen speakers will work well with the rest of my existing speakers[*] I believe that moving the current RVX-54's to the surrround positons would further upgrade my sound too. Any opinion on this? My concern is that the RVX-54's have speakers almost on the floor and this is maybe not the optimal place for them (should be at or above ear level -- which the current RSX-5's are.)

Thanks in advance for any help and opinions.

I have a new offer to confuse this a bit more I stopped by my audio shop and they have a pair of used RF-83's selling for $1350. I need to do an a<>b comparison with the RF-82's I was planning to purchase and I'll do that when h new 82's arrive. Other than me listening to them both, does the price for the 83's sound reasonable?

My System Diagram: Here System Pix: Here

(1) Yamaha RX-A2010

(2) Klipsch RF-83

(1) Klipsch RC-64

(1) Klipsch RSW-10d

(2) Klipsch RVX-54

(2) Klipsch RSX-5

(See Links Above for Full Info)

post #18698 of 37368 Old 04-21-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post

I have a new offer to confuse this a bit more I stopped by my audio shop and they have a pair of used RF-83's selling for $1350. I need to do an a<>b comparison with the RF-82's I was planning to purchase and I'll do that when h new 82's arrive. Other than me listening to them both, does the price for the 83's sound reasonable?

that's way too high for a used set of those IMO , those are discontinued as well
They DO Sound better with the 3rd woofer thou ....over the 82's
I tell them that's way too high as I pointed out ... & see if they will come down $350

I feel that $1K would be a better deal or even less ..........

Mike

post #18699 of 37368 Old 04-21-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

that's actually a better set-up ,if you have the room for towers . are you talking the surrounds or back speakers ?? 5.1 or 7.1 system ?

It would be for a 7.1 set up, directly behind the listen area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

It is a little better if you can get the surround back, up higher, about 2' above ear level. That is why wall mount works well for surround speakers.

Yeah I was thinking that as well, but those 81's would be huge on the wall they are about 19" tall and would stick out 12".
Speaking of that how do people hide the wire or do they run it through the wall?
post #18700 of 37368 Old 04-21-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:

the XPA-3 VS a XPA-5 ? future proofing yourself with the XPA-5 is a progressive way to think .
Amps last for ever
the future return rate on the sale price is greater on the XPA-5 .
the re-sale value is greater on the XPA-5 also ..
I have been watching Emotive XPA amps for sale on Audiogon & they all sell very fast

anyway this is all just I M H O , not trying to spend your money for you ..

LOL Fast!

Yeah I know! Just figured if down the road I wanted to add more speakers I could with getting the XPA-5 rather than buying the 3 now and reselling it later and buying the 5 later hehe.

I love my movies and HT stuff but unfortunately unlike a lot of people here I don't think i'm a pure audiophile like a lot of people here. I wish I was (and the wife thanks i'm not! ). Then I'd know more about that I need and don't need and so on. So at least we got places like AVS to help learn! And boy was this site a eye opener for me! Considering I've been using the same darn Kenwood HTIB coming up to 20 years now? I've always thought they sounded OK! in my smaller rooms we had in California...but now that i'm in Texas and this room is way bigger...its just not there...especially the poor overworked HTIB sub hehe.

So hopefully like the AMP ... my speakers and we will have a happy union for another 20 years! Till the next upgrade bug hits lol.

Urlryn

Urlryn

Pioneer SC-1222-K
Emotiva XPA-3
Behringer EP4000
Klipsch RF 7ii
Klipsch RC 64ii
post #18701 of 37368 Old 04-21-2012, 06:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It would be for a 7.1 set up, directly behind the listen area.

Yeah I was thinking that as well, but those 81's would be huge on the wall they are about 19" tall and would stick out 12".
Speaking of that how do people hide the wire or do they run it through the wall?

A lot of people run the wires in the wall. I have my speaker connections down low, but I have sound panels on the walls and the speaker wire runs behind the panel to the surround speaker.

I used to have RB-35's mounted on the wall. They are close in size to the 81's. As long as they are not in a walkway, you should be fine.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #18702 of 37368 Old 04-21-2012, 06:42 PM

Liked: 11
Does anybody know a store in the Los Angeles area where I can audition the Klipsch Heritage line? I checked the Klipsch website and the store listed is out of buisness.
post #18703 of 37368 Old 04-21-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantSquid View Post

Does anybody know a store in the Los Angeles area where I can audition the Klipsch Heritage line? I checked the Klipsch website and the store listed is out of buisness.

You may have better luck asking if anybody in your area would let you go to their house to hear their Heritage speakers. It is well worth the effort.

post #18704 of 37368 Old 04-21-2012, 07:43 PM

A couple months ago I got my first big boy speakers. Two rf82ii, and rc62ii. To me the sound, mostly from the center is just not natural to me. Almost bothers me. Very chesty, honky (excuse my noob descriptions). It's almost like a deep buzzing when people talk. It's like the sound of geese when they're flying by. You know, that chesty, vibrating sounding honk honk honk they do. Again, please excuse my descriptions, just can't think of another way to describe it. Is this just how these speakers sound. Don't feel it a blown tweeter cuz the towers have a similar sound, just not as pronounced. So is this just the Klipsch sound? I'm running these off a Yamaha rxv671, but I did have a Marantz sr 6005 for about two weeks and the sound was the same. Is there something wrong with my speakers or am I just finding out the hard way that I'm not a Klipsch guy. There are times I'm really impressed by these speakers, but many times I feel something is off. This sound is mostly with TV watching, but it's still there, just not as noticeably with blu rays.
post #18705 of 37368 Old 04-21-2012, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

that's way too high for a used set of those IMO , those are discontinued as well
I tell them that's way too high as I pointed out ... & see if they will come down $350

Ok. Thanks. I'll work on the price with him when I go to do the A/B comparison.

My System Diagram: Here System Pix: Here

(1) Yamaha RX-A2010

(2) Klipsch RF-83

(1) Klipsch RC-64

(1) Klipsch RSW-10d

(2) Klipsch RVX-54

(2) Klipsch RSX-5

(See Links Above for Full Info)

post #18706 of 37368 Old 04-22-2012, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub5 View Post

A couple months ago I got my first big boy speakers. Two rf82ii, and rc62ii. To me the sound, mostly from the center is just not natural to me. Almost bothers me. Very chesty, honky (excuse my noob descriptions). It's almost like a deep buzzing when people talk. It's like the sound of geese when they're flying by. You know, that chesty, vibrating sounding honk honk honk they do. Again, please excuse my descriptions, just can't think of another way to describe it. Is this just how these speakers sound. Don't feel it a blown tweeter cuz the towers have a similar sound, just not as pronounced. So is this just the Klipsch sound? I'm running these off a Yamaha rxv671, but I did have a Marantz sr 6005 for about two weeks and the sound was the same. Is there something wrong with my speakers or am I just finding out the hard way that I'm not a Klipsch guy. There are times I'm really impressed by these speakers, but many times I feel something is off. This sound is mostly with TV watching, but it's still there, just not as noticeably with blu rays.

Does your receiver have any Audyssey calibration? If not, I wouldn't give up until your system is properly EQed using Audyssey or by hiring a professional. If you still don't like the way they sound, then....

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

post #18707 of 37368 Old 04-22-2012, 06:10 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub5 View Post

It sounds like it might be the source since you dont mind it so much with blu ray. I agree with running room correction.
post #18708 of 37368 Old 04-22-2012, 06:48 AM

Liked: 11
Two weeks ago I ordered new crossovers and titanium tweeter diaphragms from Bob Crites. Before this I had been actively looking for new speakers as I thought my Klipsch Legends front stage were past their prime. From reading on a few other sites and talking directly with Bob Crites, I figured I'd give the new crossovers and tweeters a try, especially since updating/modifying my speakers was well less than any new comparable speakers to my Legends. I received the new crossovers and titanium diaphragms early last week and took two days to carefully clean out and re-wire with the new parts. Now that I've spent the last three days listening, it's as if new life has been breathed into my Legends. The highs are more clear and crisp than I ever remember, and the mids & woofers are more defined and separated if you will. These new crossovers and titanium tweeter diaphragms are definitely one of two of the biggest improvements in my home theater, the other being room treatments. Any one wishing to restore their Klipsch speakers to at least their former glory, I highly recommend talking with Bob Crites.
post #18709 of 37368 Old 04-22-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSeminole View Post

Two weeks ago I ordered new crossovers and titanium tweeter diaphragms from Bob Crites. Before this I had been actively looking for new speakers as I thought my Klipsch Legends front stage were past their prime. From reading on a few other sites and talking directly with Bob Crites, I figured I'd give the new crossovers and tweeters a try, especially since updating/modifying my speakers was well less than any new comparable speakers to my Legends. I received the new crossovers and titanium diaphragms early last week and took two days to carefully clean out and re-wire with the new parts. Now that I've spent the last three days listening, it's as if new life has been breathed into my Legends. The highs are more clear and crisp than I ever remember, and the mids & woofers are more defined and separated if you will. These new crossovers and titanium tweeter diaphragms are definitely one of two of the biggest improvements in my home theater, the other being room treatments. Any one wishing to restore their Klipsch speakers to at least their former glory, I highly recommend talking with Bob Crites.

++1100
Very Good Advice ...I'm a Big Fan of Bob Crites he did my mods & crossovers for my CornScala's & sold me the drivers & crossovers for my custom Heresy clones , the CS-1.5's

Mike

post #18710 of 37368 Old 04-22-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Yeah, I have Bob's tweeters and A-4500 crossover in my KHorns.

post #18711 of 37368 Old 04-22-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 129
ALK and Crites are both excellent choices.

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #18712 of 37368 Old 04-22-2012, 02:03 PM

Liked: 14
I moved to NYC 2 years ago, gave 10 year old Yamaha AVR (no HDMI) & BOSE acoustimass system to friends. New HT setup in upper floor of duplex, open plan square room size 20 x 20 includes kitchen. I watch movies & t.v. 90% - listen to music 10%.

yes - i have used Yamaha's sound EQ setup.

Yamaha 671 AVR
Vizio 55" full array LED t.v.
Standout Designs Haven cabinet (huge center channel speaker space)
Infinity 12" powered sub
Klipsch Quintet SL

I bought the Quintets for less than a ben franklin brand new knowing I'd upgrade. In t.v. and movie watching, it's the dialogue that seems washed out sometimes. A large center like the RC-64II will fit in my Haven cabinet. Delivered for under a thousand bucks from an authorized dealer....

The quintets fit nicely on top of the Haven next to the t.v. I'm not sure I need/want floor standing fronts. The surround satellites seem okay to me. It's the dialogue I'd like to get punched up... and the Haven cabinet has the room for it.

I've been eyeing the rc-64II for awhile... the price seems right... thoughts?
post #18713 of 37368 Old 04-22-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willybguy View Post

I moved to NYC 2 years ago, gave 10 year old Yamaha AVR (no HDMI) & BOSE acoustimass system to friends. New HT setup in upper floor of duplex, open plan square room size 20 x 20 includes kitchen. I watch movies & t.v. 90% - listen to music 10%.

yes - i have used Yamaha's sound EQ setup.

Yamaha 671 AVR
Vizio 55" full array LED t.v.
Standout Designs Haven cabinet (huge center channel speaker space)
Infinity 12" powered sub
Klipsch Quintet SL

I bought the Quintets for less than a ben franklin brand new knowing I'd upgrade. In t.v. and movie watching, it's the dialogue that seems washed out sometimes. A large center like the RC-64II will fit in my Haven cabinet. Delivered for under a thousand bucks from an authorized dealer....

The quintets fit nicely on top of the Haven next to the t.v. I'm not sure I need/want floor standing fronts. The surround satellites seem okay to me. It's the dialogue I'd like to get punched up... and the Haven cabinet has the room for it.

I've been eyeing the rc-64II for awhile... the price seems right... thoughts?

Yep that's a deal .. look for some RB81II as a replacement(if floor standers are Too Big ) to the quintet's move them to surrounds

those 81's will match the RC64 nicely same horn assy .....Ya gotta a sub so you really don't need the extra woofer in the RF82's , The 81's are front ported so they can be placed right up on the wall/corners

Mike

post #18714 of 37368 Old 04-22-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

HEY anyone with a set of heritage speakers I got a extra set of NEW squawker gaskets that go between the horn body & the driver Ya want I'll send for free ... \\

If you have speakers over 30 years old & have never swapped them out , they do break-down due to them being rubber & it will affect SQ
these are red silicone & will last forever
left over when I did my Crite's mods ...

Mike

post #18715 of 37368 Old 04-22-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

The 83's are nice speaker and not being one of Klipsch current speakers is not an issue. $1000-1300 is not bad depending on the condition. With the 3 bass/mid-range drivers, do they all crossover at the samp point or is one of the drivers functioning more as a midrage. This x-o stuff can get very complex, just curious.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #18716 of 37368 Old 04-22-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

those 81's will match the RC64 nicely same horn assy .....Ya gotta a sub so you really don't need the extra woofer in the RF82's , The 81's are front ported so they can be placed right up on the wall/corners

I think RB81s will work fine with a RC64 but they do not share the same tweeter.

Regards,
Charlie

post #18717 of 37368 Old 04-22-2012, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint View Post

I think RB81s will work fine with a RC64 but they do not share the same tweeter.

yeah the RC-64 was larger driver in that horn , you are right !
the RB-81II & the RF-82II as well the RC-62II share the same driver & horn
I was mistaken ....

Mike

post #18718 of 37368 Old 04-23-2012, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

I enjoy my Emotiva XPA3 to drive my 3 RF7IIs across the front. Using my Denon A100 to drive my RS62IIs, don't know if the A100 can handle them surrounds

Brown,

I currently have a Pio Elite SC-57 running my setup. I'm thinking about investing the Emotiva XPA-5 for my 5.1 system. Here's a quick breakdown:

L/R = RF-7 II's
Center = RC-64 II
SL/SR = RS-62 II's

I haven't read this entire thread so I have a few questions for you. I apologize of this has been asked before.

1. I feel my my system already gets pretty loud with 140wpc (claimed) from my SC-57. Do you feel the investment ($1K) would be worth it to run a seperate amp pushing a "real" 200wpc to my speakers?

2. You have the XPA-3 to push only your RF-7's. Would you feel 200wpc for my RS-62's would be overkill?

I was researching what I needed to adequately power my RF-7's when I came accross your post. I'd really love to maximize all aspects of my setup to the fullest.

post #18719 of 37368 Old 04-23-2012, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06GTOguy View Post

The 2312 does not have preouts, you would need the 3312 or higher.

I believe the 809 does have preouts but not 100% on that.

Pioneer's Elite models from the VSX52 up have preouts.

Just sayin'...

post #18720 of 37368 Old 04-23-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

Pioneer's Elite models from the VSX52 up have preouts.

Just sayin'...

Hey Irish....
I did actually look at the 52/53 and the 55/57.....they seem pretty good from everything I read.

I was sold on the Onkyo 809....but now that Denon 4311CI seems to be the better receiver. Just quite a bit more expensive than the Onkyo, even with the deal from EE. I doubt Vanns will match or beat that price.

Urlryn

Urlryn

Pioneer SC-1222-K
Emotiva XPA-3
Behringer EP4000
Klipsch RF 7ii
Klipsch RC 64ii
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Audio , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page