Forum Jump: 

post #18751 of 37308 Old 04-28-2012, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

I don't think I am the most knowledgable person here but I have the crossover at 80 to my Rythmik sub. I know the speakers can go lower but the sub can do it better and it will take strain off of the speakers.

Ok thanks. Sounds reasonable. I'll see what my receiver calibration software says it should be too.

Quote:

I really don't know about the speaker placement. The first room I had them in was seemingly poor placement in a corner on either side of a plasma and near to the walls but somehow it sounded great.

The second room was 15x30 with some furnishings and sounded even better than the first. I was especially impressed with the soundstage and separation.

The third room is where my HT will be and it is 15x21x8 with carpet and no furnishings at the moment. It sounds different in there and not in a good way.

I have read general guidelines for speaker placement and they usually state that it is a good idea to place the speakers a few feet from any boundaries. There are exceptions to this and it is beyond me as to why. I need to do some experimenting. The room is bare and way too live. I am sure there are people in this thread that can chime in on recommendations for Klipsch speaker placement and share their own experience. I would like to know as well.

I'm kind of limited on what I can do with speaker placement in my room but things like distance from the wall and toe-in are possible adjustments. We'll see what we hear and how my particular setup sounds. Thanks!

My System Diagram: Here System Pix: Here

(1) Yamaha RX-A2010

(2) Klipsch RF-83

(1) Klipsch RC-64

(1) Klipsch RSW-10d

(2) Klipsch RVX-54

(2) Klipsch RSX-5

(See Links Above for Full Info)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18752 of 37308 Old 04-28-2012, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I will add that my best results so far in my second room I had the speakers about 1.5-2 feet away from the side and back walls. The main LP was 12 ft from the speakers and they were approx 25 degrees from the main LP. Both speakers with a good amount of toe in so that they are almost pointed directly at the main LP.

The equipment used was Harman Kardon AVR 3600, Emotiva XPA-5, and PS3. With my Rythmik F12SE which is underpowered next to these monsters. I have the sub pretty hot and I still want more.

I ran the room correction EQ that comes with my HK AVR3600 in the second room. It is proprietary and is called EZEQ. I suspect it is inferior to Audessey but not sure. I have not run EZEQ in my current room so lots of variables at play.
post #18753 of 37308 Old 04-28-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:

I will add that my best results so far in my second room I had the speakers about 1.5-2 feet away from the side and back walls. The main LP was 12 ft from the speakers and they were approx 25 degrees from the main LP. Both speakers with a good amount of toe in so that they are almost pointed directly at the main LP.

The equipment used was Harman Kardon AVR 3600, Emotiva XPA-5, and PS3. With my Rythmik F12SE which is underpowered next to these monsters. I have the sub pretty hot and I still want more.

I ran the room correction EQ that comes with my HK AVR3600 in the second room. It is proprietary and is called EZEQ. I suspect it is inferior to Audessey but not sure. I have not run EZEQ in my current room so lots of variables at play.

Your running a XPA-5 then you have enough power to set the cross-over at what audyssey or any room correction software , will set the speakers for.
setting @ 80 is not always the best way to set-up a system when you have extra headroom power that a external amp provides .
The reason most say set 80 is to take the lower frequencies & transfer them to a sub is the sub has it's own power .
You have extra power in a XPA-5 .That extra power will allow the woofers in all the speakers add more bass dynamics into your room. The sub will still play those lower frequencies as well as the speakers will too & THAT adds much more dynamics into the room .

My setup has the Mains , Surrounds set @ 40 & the Center ,Heights,Wides set as 50 . just above what each set of speaker starts to "roll off @ " Roll off is the point where the woofer start to lose the lower frequencies due to not being able to produce them . mine spec @ 30 & 40 , so they are set to 40 & 50 the roll off point is usually 10 above what the speaker is rated for .

By setting @ 80 you taking all the balls outta your 83's & that is what the 83's are good at that.....
they have good clean punch, clean well defined mid bass response in the woofer section.

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #18754 of 37308 Old 04-28-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

FastSlappy,

Do you have the RF-83's as well? What sub are you using? What amp? Any thoughts on the speaker placement?
post #18755 of 37308 Old 04-28-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FastSlappy,

Do you have the RF-83's as well? What sub are you using? What amp? Any thoughts on the speaker placement?

I have CornScala & CS-1.5's (Herisey clones ) they have 15" & 12" woofers , I use a Emo UPA-7 & a UPA-2 , I run 9 channels heights & wides ,no rears
83's should be away from walls due to them being rear ported , toed in & near corners (but a good 1 to 2 feet away from any wall )
I have dual SVS PC12-NSD's .
movies @ my house are simply amazing , the dynamics are stunning ..

Mike

post #18756 of 37308 Old 04-28-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

I have CornScala & CS-1.5's (Herisey clones ) they have 15" & 12" woofers , I use a Emo UPA-7 & a UPA-2 , I run 9 channels heights & wides ,no rears
83's should be away from walls due to them being rear ported , toed in & near corners (but a good 1 to 2 feet away from any wall )

NICE System

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II
Klipsch Heresy II, KSB 1.1
Klipsch Sub 12" X3 Hafler Trans Nova P3000
Yamaha RX-V1900, T-1000,A-1000 Class A, GE-20 GEQ CDC-697
ReVox A-77 Mk IV Dolby, Nakamichi BX-100
post #18757 of 37308 Old 04-28-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post

NICE System

thanx

to further break down the system is 4 CornScala's mains & surrounds , 5 CS-1.5's Center, heights,wides... onkyo TX-NR1009 & a TX-NR5008 that is being repaired & then sold , @ that point a AVR will be purchased to replace the 5008 & the 1009 goes to the bedroom to replace a TX-NR807 .
I love the Onkyo Video processors in the XXX009 & up line , beats the heck outta the XX008 line
I'm done with speakers now I have my lifetime set ...

Mike

post #18758 of 37308 Old 04-28-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 186
it would be cool to have the CS-1 available in a KPT surround format...

post #18759 of 37308 Old 04-28-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thinking about klispchorns but one "corner" of the room is open. bad idea?

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #18760 of 37308 Old 04-28-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

it would be cool to have the CS-1 available in a KPT surround format...

mine are custom horizontal's that hang from the ceiling CS-1.5 are bigger thou .. I've got them down right now but will have back in better positions soon . I post Pix when I get them back up ..

Mike

post #18761 of 37308 Old 04-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
ha hey wrote klipschorn , and slapmehappy define "clones"...be about time for some picssss......

XBOX >cata1:mothballed; PS3+4  =  CHiNGOBLiNG   = RUBEN...
YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE THE PICTURE!!

itty bitty MAN CAVE:http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/32536

has now become>>.. "SHOE MAKER HOME THEATER"..click..>http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2341067/the-shoemaker-...

post #18762 of 37308 Old 04-28-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

Thinking about klispchorns but one "corner" of the room is open. bad idea?

You'd have to either close off the back on that one, or do some sort of false corner. I had one butted up against a thick IKEA table top once, which another piece of furniture to hold the table top in place. But there are ways of holding something like that in place. More importantly, maybe, is the size of the room and the spacing between the speakers.

post #18763 of 37308 Old 04-28-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEMYHDTV View Post

ha hey wrote klipschorn , and slapmehappy define "clones"...be about time for some picssss......

here's the lastest Dope on the CS-1 & the CS-1.5
And now Bob is making a center as well

http://www.critesspeakers.com/crites...r-project.html

Mike

post #18764 of 37308 Old 04-28-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Fastslappy,

I would love to see some pictures of all of the speakers and the room. I am considering a DIY sub solution right now but going DIY for speakers is a little bolder. I don't have the woodworking skills. Hopefully I can successfully integrate the RF-83's in my room. If not then anything is possible I guess...even DIY.
post #18765 of 37308 Old 04-28-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 74
A few months ago I purchased a pair of RF-52 IIs. They are located in a large great room with wood floors on the first floor of the house. I really like the way they sound.

I am looking to upgrade my 5.1 setup in the basement and am curious if that sound would be severely affected by placing a pair of RF-82 IIs or RF-7 IIs on carpet over concrete...

Thoughts?

TIA.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

post #18766 of 37308 Old 04-28-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Fastslappy,

I would love to see some pictures of all of the speakers and the room. I am considering a DIY sub solution right now but going DIY for speakers is a little bolder. I don't have the woodworking skills. Hopefully I can successfully integrate the RF-83's in my room. If not then anything is possible I guess...even DIY.

The wood working part is now do-able as Bob Crities now has a CNC router & he can whip up the pre cut cabinets or sell you assembled speakers ..
compare those prices he's listing for those models CS-1.5's & CornScala's they are 1/3 of the price of any new Heritage speaker AND they have a much better SQ to boot .
he's taken the Klipsch idea & taken it to a much higher level thru really high quality drivers .. I'm very happy with mine & I've had Klipsch Heritage speakers since 1973 . The old 73's are modded into CornScala & my satillites are horizontal CS-1.5's

here's a few pix on the PC ...............
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Mike

post #18767 of 37308 Old 04-28-2012, 05:30 PM

I just ordered my Klipsch RB-61 II speaker system to replace my old Bose V20 system. The center speaker weighs 22 lbs. so I will need something hefty to mount it to the wall. The point where the speaker will be mounted will be hollow drywall so I will need good wall anchors. That doesn't scare me so long as I can get a decent mounting rack or shelf.

Can anyone here recommend either a mount or shelf for this speaker? Suggestions for the floor stands for the rear surround speakers (RS-42 II) would be appreciated as well.

Thanks
post #18768 of 37308 Old 04-29-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post

I went to the store tonight for the A<>B comparison of the new Klipsch RF-82 II's /RC62 II versus the RF-83's/RC-64. The pricing for both three-speaker 'sets' ended up virtually the same so price wasn't a factor really. I asked the speaker's age and was told they are approximately a little over 2 years old. The owner sold them back to the store in the original packaging when he recently traded them in for new Emotivas.

You may recall that I currently have RVX-54's and a RVX-42 for the center.

I first listened to the 82's. They sounded very good and a very big improvement from my current speakers. However, when we switched to the 83's, the difference was amazing. The base was deeper but tighter and the highs we more open and transparent. We switched back and forth a few times to confirm it, but in the end, there was no real choice.

Any other 83 owners here? Also, I'm thinking of relacing my current surrounds (RSX-5's) with the RVX-54's. Any thoughts?

I'll bring them home tomorrow and hook them up. Let the fun begin!

They're in! Tweaking still underway but I love them so far. Pic below:

Link: http://flic.kr/p/bRAjC6

(1) Yamaha RX-A2010

(2) Klipsch RF-83

(1) Klipsch RC-64

(1) Klipsch RSW-10d

(2) Klipsch RVX-54

(2) Klipsch RSX-5

post #18769 of 37308 Old 04-29-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Very nice picture!

post #18770 of 37308 Old 04-29-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice...How's it sound ???

Mike

post #18771 of 37308 Old 04-29-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Very nice picture!

Thank you!

(1) Yamaha RX-A2010

(2) Klipsch RF-83

(1) Klipsch RC-64

(1) Klipsch RSW-10d

(2) Klipsch RVX-54

(2) Klipsch RSX-5

post #18772 of 37308 Old 04-29-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Nice...How's it sound ???

They sound very, very nice and a big improvement from my previous speakers (whcih are now in the surround position). Just a bit of tweaking (isn't there always?) I ran YPAO and it sounds very good. YPAO made them 'big' and set the crossover at 80. I think I may try setting them to small and seeing what that sounds like too.

They seem to fill the room (20x20) much better than my previous speakers. Bass is tighter and highs are very clear. My wife is having fun learning the real words to a lot of songs now

(1) Yamaha RX-A2010

(2) Klipsch RF-83

(1) Klipsch RC-64

(1) Klipsch RSW-10d

(2) Klipsch RVX-54

(2) Klipsch RSX-5

post #18773 of 37308 Old 04-29-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

A few months ago I purchased a pair of RF-52 IIs. They are located in a large great room with wood floors on the first floor of the house. I really like the way they sound.

I am looking to upgrade my 5.1 setup in the basement and am curious if that sound would be severely affected by placing a pair of RF-82 IIs or RF-7 IIs on carpet over concrete...

Thoughts?

TIA.

Some really nice subs would really compliment that setup. Very nice speakers.
post #18774 of 37308 Old 04-29-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapser View Post

I just ordered my Klipsch RB-61 II speaker system to replace my old Bose V20 system. The center speaker weighs 22 lbs. so I will need something hefty to mount it to the wall. The point where the speaker will be mounted will be hollow drywall so I will need good wall anchors. That doesn't scare me so long as I can get a decent mounting rack or shelf.

Can anyone here recommend either a mount or shelf for this speaker? Suggestions for the floor stands for the rear surround speakers (RS-42 II) would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

Take a peice of 3/8-1/2 plywood, cut it slightly smaller than the back of the Speaker, find your studs and screw it to them. Then mount your speaker to the plywood. Paint the sides of the plywood black if your worried about someone seeing them.
post #18775 of 37308 Old 04-30-2012, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut12 View Post

Take a peice of 3/8-1/2 plywood, cut it slightly smaller than the back of the Speaker, find your studs and screw it to them. Then mount your speaker to the plywood. Paint the sides of the plywood black if your worried about someone seeing them.

If the speaker is over hollow drywall, then surely a piece of plywood smaller than the speaker will also be over hollow drywall?

I'd be tempted to open up the wall between two joists, screw in some support 2x4 horizontally between then, cover up with drywall, plaster, prime, paint.

post #18776 of 37308 Old 04-30-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapser View Post

Thanks

If the location is in the center between two studs, then get a piece of 3/4" AC plywood. Cut 16" wide (can be wider if wanted) and slightly longer than the speaker height. Fasten to the two studs, place molding around the plywood to dress it up. Paint to match walls and then hang the speaker in the center.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #18777 of 37308 Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

If the location is in the center between two studs, then get a piece of 3/4" AC plywood. Cut 16" wide (can be wider if wanted) and slightly longer than the speaker height. Fasten to the two studs, place molding around the plywood to dress it up. Paint to match walls and then hang the speaker in the center.

this is the best way to do it studs are on 16" centers meaning it is 16" from each center of a stud to the next , if a slight downward tilt is needed that can be done with small blocks of wood ,a chain .. what ever if you need advice on tilting report back

Mike

post #18778 of 37308 Old 04-30-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:

If the speaker is over hollow drywall, then surely a piece of plywood smaller than the speaker will also be over hollow drywall?

I'd be tempted to open up the wall between two joists, screw in some support 2x4 horizontally between then, cover up with drywall, plaster, prime, paint.

Sorry but just like the 2 people after me posted, this is how you do it, the plywood hits the studs so your speaker does not have to. No wall is hollow for more than 24", most should not be over 16".

Your way, opening up the wall, is absolutley ridiculous, just saying.
post #18779 of 37308 Old 04-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
If you would know, or even speculate, how would the CS-1.5's compare to the ED Cinema 12's? The Cinemas have gotten positive feedback and would be cheaper with a lcr setup than the CS-1.5, and they are finished. Thanks.

Quote:

post #18780 of 37308 Old 04-30-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post

If you would know, or even speculate, how would the CS-1.5's compare to the ED Cinema 12's? The Cinemas have gotten positive feedback and would be cheaper with a lcr setup than the CS-1.5, and they are finished. Thanks.

Nezff here on this thread has some of their stuff shoot him a email .
Actually it's all in which drivers that are being used to tell the truth , & I don't know if Ed tells which drivers they use ..
I suspect the Crites Drivers are of higher quality as he really does not mark up the drivers he sells .I did price comparisons(as he does list p/n#'s) & he is in the same ball park as most retail sellers of drivers . I was going to shop them my self but when I added shipping &taxes they were a wash between his & retail.
that is Russian Birch Bob uses ,all that is needed is a oil finish and /Or stain & poly coated . that you can do your selfeasy
Oil finish is the easiest ,wipe on & then polish
Danish oil for a blonde color OR they has oil finishes that have dark colors ..

mine are stained RedOak plywood 1&1/2" thick on the CornScalas & 3/4" redOak on the CS-1.5's

Minwax "red chestnut" stain =>teak oil => beeswax polish
Best part about doing yer own finish is the color choices

Mike

Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Audio , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page