Klipsch owner thread - Page 630 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7453Likes

post #18871 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 02:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xereau View Post

Wow man. That's 15 minutes from me.

I have some older(1979) Klipsch Cornwall and Heresey speakers that Pop and I trucked home new back then. I have a pair of DIY Khorns in the shop Dad built in 1960 when I was a kid that need some love and $$. The reason I asked about the folded horn sub you have.
Louis

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II,
Klipsch Sub 12 X 3
SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18872 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post

I have some older(1979) Klipsch Cornwall and Heresey speakers that Pop and I trucked home new back then. I have a pair of DIY Khorns in the shop Dad built in 1960 when I was a kid that need some love and $$. The reason I asked about the folded horn sub you have.
Louis

Hey Louis! You have a pm from me.
post #18873 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I would think that unless you redesigned the crossover, incorporating the RF-7ii bass drivers into the KG-5.5's would probably not sound right. I have no idea if you would get an improvement, or make them sound worse. You might try getting ahold of Dennis Murphy and ask him to help you treat the crossover, or, perhaps Bob Crites would be somewhat helpful in doing this. (although, I would rather have Dennis doing this, as opposed to Bob). Good luck! And please keep us updated!

THanks Marty, I may try to get get ahold of Dennis as well.... or Bob . I have Bob Crites crossovers & Ti tweeters already so maybe Bob could help as well. Its not that I dont like the performance of the KG's as I do like them very much, its just in my thinkinging I thought they would look so much better with the gold drivers... just more or less of a face-lift per say. But then again I dont want to hurt the performace eighter . I also realise the "smart" thing to do would be to just get the RF 7 II's but just going buy the measurements I dont think they will fit into my HT are as the KG's barley fit already. Thanks for they reply Jeff

post #18874 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:

I would like to see a pic of it. Small world my Mother In Law lives in Atlanta,TX near you.

A pic of his THT or of any? Not much to see when it's all sealed up. Here's mine before the side panel came on:

Once in the room, it's just a big cube that prefers to be away from wall (so an F20 is more space efficient):

post #18875 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Can you guys give me the quick bullet points on performance differences btwn THT vs DTS-10 etc. Or just point me to the appropriate threads so I can look myself. Thanks

How far out from the wall does it need to be? I was planning a false wall about 3 feet out. This might not be enough. If not then I am not sure I have the space for it but I will do some thinking.
post #18876 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I own a pair of the DTS10's and have heard a pair of THT's and a pair of F20's. There are differences, and similarities. The lower extension of the DTS10 is fairly obvious and impactful. Output is also noticably more across the frequency range. That being said, it is fair to say that they are all in the same general range of performance. With the lower cost of the DIY options, the value might well be higher in them. Since I have the extra extension, I couldn't give it up. But if I'd never had it, it may not be missed???

The Danley also have a dimension of 16" which makes placement easier. Fit well behind a false screen.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #18877 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tony,

I enjoyed reading through some of your build thread last night. You mentioned that initially the La Scalas sounded a bit harsh. Did you do anything to tame them or did you just get used to it. Have you heard the RF-83's that I have and how do they compare if you have heard them.

Love your room and I already have gleaned a few ideas from it although your room is in another dimension compared to what mine will be.

Have you heard dual opposed sealed subs and can you tell me how they compared?
post #18878 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked: 4648
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Can you guys give me the quick bullet points on performance differences btwn THT vs DTS-10 etc. Or just point me to the appropriate threads so I can look myself. Thanks

How far out from the wall does it need to be? I was planning a false wall about 3 feet out. This might not be enough. If not then I am not sure I have the space for it but I will do some thinking.

If you can get the dual DTS-10's at a good price, I would go with them. Better form factor and lower response. DTS-10 is a beast of a sub and it has a chance of fitting behind a false wall.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #18879 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You would go with them vs the 4 cab dual opposed MFW-15 with Dayton SA1000's?

How concerning is the air leak in one of the DTS-10's? He says he can't find it and has pretty much given up. He runs it at about half power or something so you can't hear it. Not sure if I would be able to fix it. DTS-10's would be around $1200 total plus shipping which could be nasty. I am in KC and he is in Ohio. He is willing to meet me halfway though.
post #18880 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Tony,

I enjoyed reading through some of your build thread last night. You mentioned that initially the La Scalas sounded a bit harsh. Did you do anything to tame them or did you just get used to it. Have you heard the RF-83's that I have and how do they compare if you have heard them.

Love your room and I already have gleaned a few ideas from it although your room is in another dimension compared to what mine will be.

Have you heard dual opposed sealed subs and can you tell me how they compared?

Glad you've enjoyed my thread. It may actually come to an end someday. Also, don't sell yourself short. My room is nothing special. Certainly not expensive, just alot of sweat equity.

I haven't heard RF83's, but am very familiar with RF62's and KL650's (from the Ultra2 series).

I remember my initial impressions of the LaScala were that they weren't as smooth as the others. That's changed. I rebuilt the crossovers with fresh capacitors and added polycarbonate bypass filters to them. That did the trick! They are smooth, yet more revealing than the RF and KL line. I hear more detail. A for instance, is the scene in Fellowship of the Ring when Gandor is puffing his pipe at the fireplace. I can hear the crackling in his pipe and breath as he inhales. With the other speakers, all I picked up in those scenes was the crackling of the fire. Just one illustration.

In terms of dynamics and SPL, the LaScala really distance themselves. I think alot of the difference is in the horn loaded 15" driver. It grabs a room in a way that I haven't heard from the modern "multiple small driver" approach.

I took a KL650 apart, and have also taken apart the LaScala. You can literally see the difference in performance just by looking and holding each. The KL650 had a driver behind the horn that was tiny and weighed about a pound. The LaScala has huge 2' deep mid horns with a 3-4 pound compression driver. It's not a scientific analysis, but you can HEAR the bigness in the performance. My logic may be flawed, but they compare in sound about the same as you might guess by looking at them. IOW, big=big

Subs: The only dual opposing subs I've heard were an older Klipsch and a new Submersive. The Submersive was not dialed into the room or EQ'd yet, so it isn't really fair for me to draw a conclusion. But from what I heard, they aren't comparable to the impact of the Danley. All the reading I do on the forum tells me that they could likely be a more refined sound. But I never feel the Danley is "unrefined".

Hope that helped some? A ramble of thoughts.

Construction Thread
post #18881 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You would go with them vs the 4 cab dual opposed MFW-15 with Dayton SA1000's?

How concerning is the air leak in one of the DTS-10's? He says he can't find it and has pretty much given up. He runs it at about half power or something so you can't hear it. Not sure if I would be able to fix it. DTS-10's would be around $1200 total plus shipping which could be nasty. I am in KC and he is in Ohio. He is willing to meet me halfway though.

That's a fair deal for the pair, even with the leak. You're getting the second one almost free. I'd be tempted and take my chances that I could resolve the leak. If you couldn't, maybe a leaky one is still worth using? or, you could sell the drivers?

One caveat on the Danley. It took me nearly a year to be satisfied with mine. Lots of placement and EQ experimenting. Chances are very high that you won't like it at first. So if you aren't willing to take it on as a fun part of the process, I might pass. That's something the Submersive would likely not come with. But then, compare the price of the pair of Danley against a pair of Submersive.

Construction Thread
post #18882 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Cinema F20 faced outwards in pics I have seen of it, so you could fit a few of them behind the false wall and they are an easy build. I don't have to place the THT face to the wall, but I get more output that way. I also EQ the heck out of it using a miniDSP, but I gather Audyssey multiEQ would do the same job automatically without a fuss.

post #18883 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Audyssey alone, didn't do much with my subs....

Construction Thread
post #18884 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Audyssey is not "All" it's cracked up to be .. I M H O

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #18885 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by radi4fun View Post

Hey guys I had a question regarding some Klipsch Quintet SL speakers.

I was wondering if it is possible to just use 3 speakers from the Klipsch Quintet SL home theater system?

I have an opportunity to buy the center and two front speakers at $160. Is it ok to just use this 3 speakers as my home theater system? I was thinking of having the center speaker under the projector screen and the two front standing speakers in the back. Would this be fine?
I ordered a new Denon AVR-1612 as my receiver. is buying a new sub absolutely necessary for this to work? (I am not an audiophile, this will be used to watch movies mostly and play ps3 games via epson 8350 projector). if so, can I use a sub that comes with Klipsch ProMedia 4.1?

Currently my Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 is no longer powering up. I believe the power source on the sub is messed up. If i can get it working, it would not be a problem correct?

I bough a full set factory SL quintets for < $100 new. I had a 10" Infinity sub I hooked up. Don't underestimate the Quintets... they fill the room, especially in a smaller NYC condo space. Sure - you can use 3 speakers, but you'll immediately notice what's missing with no sub. Another poster suggested your pro media sub is small, but a small sub is better than no sub.

You didn't mention your room size or configuration. After breaking in my quintets for a year, I'm very pleased with 1 exception - dialogue. I use my HT for 90% t.v./movies/games, 10% music. I'm sitting on the fence between RC-62II and RC-64II - there's a deal right now on a cherry RC-64II from a vendor mentioned frequently in this thread.

In a year or so, I'll probably upgrade fronts to RB-81s, re-purpose those quintets to surrounds & a presence. My understanding is adding a 'presence' speaker my setup can make better use of my AVRs 'dialogue lift,' feature.
post #18886 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willybguy View Post

I bough a full set factory SL quintets for < $100 new. I had a 10" Infinity sub I hooked up. Don't underestimate the Quintets... they fill the room, especially in a smaller NYC condo space. Sure - you can use 3 speakers, but you'll immediately notice what's missing with no sub. Another poster suggested your pro media sub is small, but a small sub is better than no sub.

You didn't mention your room size or configuration. After breaking in my quintets for a year, I'm very pleased with 1 exception - dialogue. I use my HT for 90% t.v./movies/games, 10% music. I'm sitting on the fence between RC-62II and RC-64II - there's a deal right now on a cherry RC-64II from a vendor mentioned frequently in this thread.

In a year or so, I'll probably upgrade fronts to RB-81s, re-purpose those quintets to surrounds & a presence. My understanding is adding a 'presence' speaker my setup can make better use of my AVRs 'dialogue lift,' feature.

Look for a RC-62 when the 62II came out a few years ago the priced dropped on the 62. A RC-52 in a small room with a smaller amp is not bad.If you can drive a 64 yes the 62 or 62II are good too, as is a nice used C-7 center from the KLF Series is Very popular. Larger horn and mid drivers.

Klipsch Heresy II,
Klipsch Sub 12 X 3
SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD PS3
post #18887 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by willybguy View Post

..... there's a deal right now on a cherry RC-64II from a vendor mentioned frequently in this thread.

Why be cryptic ?
Who has the deal. ?

Regards,
Charlie

post #18888 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm still looking.
post #18889 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Took me all 45 seconds to find a Black one ...L O L ...

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...-rc64-ii-black

Mike

post #18890 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

$1,189.00 is still expensive for a center. Unless you have a large room and bigger amps then I have. RC-62(about $365.00 62II came out..) is Great in my den. I really wanted the C-7 but used they were selling for what I paid for a new 62 back then.

Klipsch Heresy II,
Klipsch Sub 12 X 3
SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD PS3
post #18891 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

$1,189.00 is still expensive for a center. Unless you have a large room and bigger amps then I have. RC-62(about $365.00 62II came out..) is Great in my den. I really wanted the C-7 but used they were selling for what I paid for a new 62 back then.

I had a RC-62 I got for $250(Cherry) from Vann's resold it for 350.00 when I got my CS-1.5's helped pay for some of the drivers in my CS-1.5 builds.
Actually did quite well selling the Klipsch drivers outta the Cornwalls when I did them over to CornScalas, That paid for over 3/4 of the costs for the Crites drivers & crossovers that replaced the Klipsch drivers
The RC-62 & RC-64's can't even come near keeping up with the CornScalas .

Mike

post #18892 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 PM

Liked: 10
Considering buying another forte ii to go with my other pair and replacing my rf7iis and rc64ii with them.
post #18893 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I've been looking at the Marantz MM7055 and MM7025 to power my setup. Does anybody in here have experience with pairing Marantz amps with their Reference II speakers?

Turn it up!
post #18894 of 53728 Old 05-07-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xereau View Post

Considering buying another forte ii to go with my other pair and replacing my rf7iis and rc64ii with them.

Forte's are Kick Ass speakers

Mike

post #18895 of 53728 Old 05-08-2012, 09:29 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint View Post

Why be cryptic ?
Who has the deal. ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

I'm still looking.

Quote:

Sorry, I thought it was bad form, it's Acoustic Sound Design, disclaimer: I have no affiliation. Others have mentioned. B-stock cherry RC-64II w/ Klipsch warranty @ lowest price I've seen.

Only thing is cherry veneer is a slightly darker shade of cherry. Same Kilpsch warranty. Same parts.

I'll admit some aesthetics sound good too. I grabbed a Stand Out Designs 60" premium cherry Haven cabinet produced last summer. Handmade, 1st of each size was only used for a shoot, then sold as photo model. I have the very first 60" in cherry off the line. I promised Alan I would never tell the price, so I won't. It is the coolest piece of A/V furniture I've ever owned. Built with a/ large center channel enclosure. The cherry is beginning to naturally deepen in color.

I thought I read my AVR specs correctly; Yamaha RX-671 will drive the quintets + RC-64II. I have a 5.1 setup right now w/ Infinity 10" sub, nothing crazy.

Channel 7.1
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 125W (8ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven) 105W (8ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 90W (8ohms, 0.09% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 130/170/200/240W

Can someone please tell me if I've made a stupid math mistake here before i pull the trigger?

ASD also has A-stock in black, also better price than Vann's.
post #18896 of 53728 Old 05-08-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:

I thought that XT was okay, but XT32 is in a whole different league. Enough so that I sold my two Yamaha YDP2006 PEQ units.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

post #18897 of 53728 Old 05-08-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not what I would call a deal.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

post #18898 of 53728 Old 05-08-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I thought that XT was okay, but XT32 is in a whole different league. Enough so that I sold my two Yamaha YDP2006 PEQ units.

My Integra was hit by lighting, so if I end up replacing it, I may give XT32 a try.

The thing I enjoy most from Audyssey is DynamicEQ. It gives that impact even at low volumes. I can watch at -40db and still feel it in my chair.

Construction Thread
post #18899 of 53728 Old 05-08-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

. I also EQ the heck out of it using a miniDSP, but I gather Audyssey multiEQ would do the same job automatically without a fuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

There you go! I recall a thread where it was touted as replacing other standalone EQ solutions... Just had to find the right version of it: Multi XT32

The page here says it has 512 filter frequencies for the sub:

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq

I have yet to even try any version of Audyssey...

post #18900 of 53728 Old 05-08-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

There you go! I recall a thread where it was touted as replacing other standalone EQ solutions... Just had to find the right version of it: Multi XT32

The page here says it has 512 filter frequencies for the sub:

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq

I have yet to even try any version of Audyssey...

Well,
What I found if your room needs alotta room correction then XT32 is better than the standard Audyssey but if your room doesn't need much at all then as in my case it was really hard to get it right with XT32 ( I never could get the center channel right at all ) even with multiple tries ,plotting a grid on mic placement to insure that I was using the prime recommended 8 point pattern , using a boom mic stand , doing the cal @ midnite (no background noise) . Just never came out right, changed out the mic twice thinking I had a bad mic . I was having issues with loss of vocal dynamics in the center channel ,loss of over all dynamics in my heights & wides . I was having a feeling that my seamless soundstage was gone . I went back to a manual EQ , setting the EQ settings flat & damn there was that great horn loaded sound & seamless soundstage was returned .Minor tweaking on Db levels & I was good to go ..
Now I'm not saying this will work for everyone in fact for most it will not . My room does not have many problems to begin with & my placement of speakers is very refined for optimal coverage . The room correction just didn't work in my situation .
I feel that it was over-correcting & I was losing depth & clarity.

Do I mean that Audyssey is useless NO .. Just didn't work in my room that's all . How it works for other rooms that a completely different story & a different out come .
That is what I mean by "Audyssey is not ALL it's cracked up to be "

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , klipsch icon wf 35 floorstanding speakers , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page