Klipsch owner thread - Page 632 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #18931 of 39692 Old 05-13-2012, 07:07 AM
Senior Member
 
djPerfectTrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

Does anyone know if the rs-62iis can be stand-mounted or something similar, as I do not have a wall close by to attach them to....?

Or would the rb-81iis on stands be okay as the rears in a 5.1 setup?

yes and yes. Some people prefer the RS line as the surrounds as they are designed to envelop you in sound. Some people prefer the directional RB line as their surrounds. I really like my RS speakers and I had them sitting on end tables for a while before I had them mounted to the wall and they worked fine and dandy. I would say if you are able to go listen to each of them in a surround setup or if you are able to demo them in your home with a good return policy, do it to see which you prefer.

Turn it up!
djPerfectTrip is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18932 of 39692 Old 05-13-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

Does anyone know if the rs-62iis can be stand-mounted or something similar, as I do not have a wall close by to attach them to....?

Or would the rb-81iis on stands be okay as the rears in a 5.1 setup?

I would agree with DJ that the choice between the RS & RB for surround duty is personal choice , some like the off axis horn effect & some like the direct radiator aimed @ the M L P horn . Some of this will depend on the room as well . there is a definite "love them , hate them divide" polarizing difference of opinion between the two different style speakers for the surrounds duty , that is best placed as the owners personal tastes to decide . The RB's will run lower in costs ,the RS's are expensive . You can get a much bigger RB for the price of a smaller set of RS's so that must be taken in to account as well . In other words there is no way anyone can tell you what you will prefer . You can educate yourself on how the bipoles (The RS line )work & that will provide some insight .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #18933 of 39692 Old 05-13-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nickff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brownsburg, IN
Posts: 1,576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by djPerfectTrip View Post

yes and yes. Some people prefer the RS line as the surrounds as they are designed to envelop you in sound. Some people prefer the directional RB line as their surrounds. I really like my RS speakers and I had them sitting on end tables for a while before I had them mounted to the wall and they worked fine and dandy. I would say if you are able to go listen to each of them in a surround setup or if you are able to demo them in your home with a good return policy, do it to see which you prefer.

Hmmmm... I don't want to put them on a table. It would be nice if there was a stand that attached to the back of of the RS speakers in lieu of a wall.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

 

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

Nickff is online now  
post #18934 of 39692 Old 05-13-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nickff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brownsburg, IN
Posts: 1,576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post


I would agree with DJ that the choice between the RS & RB for surround duty is personal choice , some like the off axis horn effect & some like the direct radiator aimed @ the M L P horn . Some of this will depend on the room as well . there is a definite "love them , hate them divide" polarizing difference of opinion between the two different style speakers for the surrounds duty , that is best placed as the owners personal tastes to decide . The RB's will run lower in costs ,the RS's are expensive . You can get a much bigger RB for the price of a smaller set of RS's so that must be taken in to account as well . In other words there is no way anyone can tell you what you will prefer . You can educate yourself on how the bipoles (The RS line )work & that will provide some insight .

It is not so much the difference in sound as much as finding a place to put the RS speakers. My setup is in the middle of a large room with no walls close by on the sides or back.

Currently, I have bookshelf speakers on stands as my surrounds.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

 

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

Nickff is online now  
post #18935 of 39692 Old 05-13-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

It is not so much the difference in sound as much as finding a place to put the RS speakers. My setup is in the middle of a large room with no walls close by on the sides or back.

Currently, I have bookshelf speakers on stands as my surrounds.

I would then call Klipsch & talk to them in real time & see what they recommend to use as stands.
IIRC the RS line is designed to placed on a wall to work as intended ..

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #18936 of 39692 Old 05-13-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nickff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brownsburg, IN
Posts: 1,576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post


I would then call Klipsch & talk to them in real time & see what they recommend to use as stands.
IIRC the RS line is designed to placed on a wall to work as intended ..

. Sounds like the RB speakers are the way to go. Thanks!

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

 

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

Nickff is online now  
post #18937 of 39692 Old 05-13-2012, 08:33 AM
Senior Member
 
djPerfectTrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I think you will be happy with either way you go =^)

Turn it up!
djPerfectTrip is offline  
post #18938 of 39692 Old 05-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Newbie
 
yvrmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It sounds like I have a similar question and/or need as Nick did.

Currently we have a pair of RB61's and a Klipsch powered subwoofer serving as our two channel audio system, driven by an Onkyo AV receiver (80W per channel) and are very happy with the sound we get from our Klipsch speakers. I use the system mostly for music but that will change with the introduction of a 55" Panasonic GT50 soon, so we are looking at adding centre channel and surrounds to our gear.

At the moment all is packed up as we complete a gut to the studs renovation of the front half of our house... which will be done in 12 days time. I've buried cable in the walls and provided for some contingencies including wall mounting a RS speakers or floor-stand mounting RB speakers as the surrounds. Our room layout doesn't make it easy to wall mount the right side RS. There'll be a custom cabinet right where the right hand RS should go.

Code:
+--------+
|        |
Door     |            ~ 15.5' long overall but main seating
|        |              area is more like 11' x 11', a small space
+        +---------------------------------------+                                       +
|             RB        TV      RB               |
|                       CS                    Door
W                                                |
W                                                |
W                                                |
W                                                | 13' (< 11 to seating)
W                                                | FP
W                                                |
W                                                |
W                                                |
|                                                +---+
| RB        CHAIR     COUCH     CHAIR          RB  AV|
| SW                                                 |
+----------------------------------------------------+
For that reason I was thinking I might be better off stand mounting the left hand speaker and shelf mounting the right hand, and was leaning to another set of RB61s or perhaps a size down.

Up front centre was planning on adding a RC-62 II.

I've never used or heard dipole speakers and don't know what to expect. Our room is not very large; it's an eighty year old home, each room has a door and we use the LR door often at night. I've added soundproofing insulation inside all the interior walls too, fwiw.

The AV gear is going in the custom cabinet to the right of the main seating area - we are trying to avoid having the room look like a home theatre as much as possible. Maybe that's a lost cause anyway, but towers up front are out by order of the wife. ;-) That's why we are sticking with the RB61s up front, on as unobtrusive looking a stand as possible. I may custom build some and stain them to match other furniture.

It is possible the chairs will be somewhat forward of the couch.

Given our objectives and room limitations, would I be better off with RS or RB's for the surround speakers, and which model/size ought I look at in either case?
yvrmike is offline  
post #18939 of 39692 Old 05-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Senior Member
 
djPerfectTrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
^^^It's really hard to say as bipoles/directional are really a matter of preference. I've never had bipoles before but I really like how mine sound. Last night I watched a movie and the way the sound was mixed it sounded like it was in 7.1. I've read people explain that you are not supposed to be able to tell where the sound is coming from as much as directionals. I don't really find this to be the case in my setup but they do definitely disperse the sound a lot more so it seems to cover more space (kinda hard to explain). If possible, go listen to some to see if you like how they sound. As far as putting the front speakers on stands, you can also look into something like this, which is what I have my rear rb-81 IIs mounted to and they work perfectly. They also give you some flexibility for aiming.

Turn it up!
djPerfectTrip is offline  
post #18940 of 39692 Old 05-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Newbie
 
yvrmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
djPerfectTrip - thanks for the feedback.

I'm a two channel guy making the leap so I don't have firm opinions of any sort. I am tempted by the RS series; maybe they'll work out better when we change seating around. We tend to move things slightly during the cooler months to allow use of the fireplace.

What height do you folks suggest mounting RS series units? Place them roughly parallel to the seating position or forward/aft some?

Before I start taping drywall seams tomorrow I'm going to run a just-in-case cable from the wall mount box I have on the left side of the room up the wall so I can handle a wall-mount contingency. The other side is easy for me to deal with after the fact.
yvrmike is offline  
post #18941 of 39692 Old 05-13-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
I heard eye level . ,ear level would be the best but seated ear level is NOT a WAF

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #18942 of 39692 Old 05-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Newbie
 
yvrmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I assume WAF means Wife Approval Factor or something along those lines.

As our seating is towards the rear of the small room... after a short period of unease, I bet wall mounted RS units would or could soon be forgotten by my lovely and tolerant wife. I think she might be more worried about the RB61's on floor stands at the front. A RC62 seems to be in our future but I have a plan for that.
yvrmike is offline  
post #18943 of 39692 Old 05-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
the Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
With regard to mounting height between RS and RB speakers:

If they are going to be on stands to either side of the listening area, one should use the RBs over the RSes because RBs are direct firing and the RSes may not disperse as well as designed if placed in this position.

The RSes are a dispersion type speaker and will work best on the wall, above seated head height so they can disperse into the room. That's not to say RBs aren't good on the wall, at or above head height. RBs will be fine in either situation. I'd limit RSes to locations where they can work as designed.

To further this, if the listening position was on a back wall I wouldn't use RSes. This is another good use for RBs because of the direct firing design, while the RSes would be much too close to the corners.
the Son is offline  
post #18944 of 39692 Old 05-14-2012, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Louis Bartay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 511
I have a pair of RS3-II mounted on the wall near the ceiling 7 feet behind our sofa and aimed down works just fine. Aiming them at the back of your head made a BIG difference. I had them flatt against the wall and HT Blurays sounded great if you were standing up. I had to build a shelf for my RC-62 center and have it on the wall just even with the top of my 55" TV and have it tilted down aiming it at the front of the sofa. I have my flatt screen on a AVR cabinet and the back of the TV is away from the back wall for venting and the depth of the RC-62. I have a pair of Cornwalls for fronts about 7 feet from the front of the sofa in line with the rears and on each side of the TV towed in aiming at my shoulders... that too made a Big difference in my small den. I am very happy with my system now that I have adjusted them.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II
Klipsch Heresy II, KSB 1.1
Klipsch Sub 12" X3 Hafler P3000,P1000, DH330 DH110
Yamaha RX-V1900, T-1000,A-1000 Class A, GE-20 GEQ CDC-697
ReVox A-77 Mk IV Dolby, Nakamichi BX-100 PL-518X DL103R
Louis Bartay is offline  
post #18945 of 39692 Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
the Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post

I have a pair of RS3-II mounted on the wall near the ceiling 7 feet behind our sofa and aimed down works just fine. Aiming them at the back of your head made a BIG difference. I had them flatt against the wall and HT Blurays sounded great if you were standing up. I had to build a shelf for my RC-62 center and have it on the wall just even with the top of my 55" TV and have it tilted down aiming it at the front of the sofa. I have my flatt screen on a AVR cabinet and the back of the TV is away from the back wall for venting and the depth of the RC-62. I have a pair of Cornwalls for fronts about 7 feet from the front of the sofa in line with the rears and on each side of the TV towed in aiming at my shoulders... that too made a Big difference in my small den. I am very happy with my system now that I have adjusted them.


Thank you for reminding me of those. I agree those would be better pointed at the MLP.

I was referring to the Reference IV and V series and forgot about the older ones with the woofer on the front.

Sorry about that.
the Son is offline  
post #18946 of 39692 Old 05-14-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tony123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Upstate, South Carolina
Posts: 4,994
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Speaking of all these placement topics, I'm about to start experimenting.

If ya'll remember, I have LS up front, RS62's on the sides and Heresy in the rear. Room is 32' deep x 17.5' wide.

Because I wanted the sides hidden in columns, the RS62's are about 9-12" in front of my main LP. Never cared for it, but didn't have an option. I convinced myself that running the Heresy a little hotter in the rear of the room would help "pull" the sound behind me. I know....sometimes rationalizing can make you believe silly things.

Anyway, it's always bugged me. So I got to thinking. Why not ceiling mount the RS62's? I could place them exactly where they should be along the length of the room. They would be high, but still aiming right at the LP.

It boils down to the lesser of the two compromises...mounted too far forward vs. too high.

With my dark ceilings, they would disappear in the ceiling, so aesthetics don't really factor in. Or, I plan to build coffered ceilings at some point, and could hide them in the beams.

Any thoughts?

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
tony123 is offline  
post #18947 of 39692 Old 05-14-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Speaking of all these placement topics, I'm about to start experimenting.

If ya'll remember, I have LS up front, RS62's on the sides and Heresy in the rear. Room is 32' deep x 17.5' wide.

Because I wanted the sides hidden in columns, the RS62's are about 9-12" in front of my main LP. Never cared for it, but didn't have an option. I convinced myself that running the Heresy a little hotter in the rear of the room would help "pull" the sound behind me. I know....sometimes rationalizing can make you believe silly things.

Anyway, it's always bugged me. So I got to thinking. Why not ceiling mount the RS62's? I could place them exactly where they should be along the length of the room. They would be high, but still aiming right at the LP.

It boils down to the lesser of the two compromises...mounted too far forward vs. too high.

With my dark ceilings, they would disappear in the ceiling, so aesthetics don't really factor in. Or, I plan to build coffered ceilings at some point, and could hide them in the beams.

Any thoughts?

Heck Yeah ! experiment with them RS's by placing on the ceiling the one horn on each speaker is actually going to be aimed at the seating & you still will have one horn bouncing the sound off a side wall as well .
. Want them Heresy's to stand out ? Convert them into CS-1's they will really sing then . CS-1 is a night & day difference in SQ over a plain Heresy , the CS-1 would keep up with the LaSacalas

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #18948 of 39692 Old 05-14-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,003
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrmike View Post

djPerfectTrip - thanks for the feedback.

I'm a two channel guy making the leap so I don't have firm opinions of any sort. I am tempted by the RS series; maybe they'll work out better when we change seating around. We tend to move things slightly during the cooler months to allow use of the fireplace.

What height do you folks suggest mounting RS series units? Place them roughly parallel to the seating position or forward/aft some?

Before I start taping drywall seams tomorrow I'm going to run a just-in-case cable from the wall mount box I have on the left side of the room up the wall so I can handle a wall-mount contingency. The other side is easy for me to deal with after the fact.

If you can, place the surround speakers about 2' above seated ear height. http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...peaker-set-up/

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #18949 of 39692 Old 05-14-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
psgcdn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Prov. of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 4,615
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 240
About converting a Heresy to CS-1... Heresy II as well?
How difficult would it be to replace the motorboard? (Still a $600 modification, minus selling parts in ebay)

psgcdn is offline  
post #18950 of 39692 Old 05-14-2012, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tony123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Upstate, South Carolina
Posts: 4,994
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
That's what I thought Mike. One horn blows into the center of the room and the other to the outside wall where it can still give the diffused reflected quality. It is worth a try. I'm not to sensative to some of the finer points anyway.

I feel like the plain Heresy do a fine job of keeping up with the LS while in surround duty. I would entertain a small upgrade, but I couldn't see putting more than $100 into them. One reason I went Heresy in the first place was that they were $300. No way I'd put more in them. Definitely not the $600 to get them to HeresyII. I'd just sell them and find another pair of LS. Hmmmm....time to stop this conversation before I spend money!

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
tony123 is offline  
post #18951 of 39692 Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

About converting a Heresy to CS-1... Heresy II as well?
How difficult would it be to replace the motorboard? (Still a $600 modification, minus selling parts in ebay)

a simple cut-out of the motor board is all that is needed the existing holes for the tweeter & mid horn are included in the cut-out needed for the horn in a CS-1 I did 2 Heresy's myself
here's the pix of them
these were also wrapped in 3/4" Oak plywood & I added trim as well
LL

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #18952 of 39692 Old 05-14-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
old Heresy parts & any old Klipsch parts sell Very Well on Ebay there even resellers that buy old Klipsch parts as they resell them in Europe . i sold my Cornwall parts at price that paid about 3/4 of the costs to upgrade the Cornies to CornScalas most was sold thru the Klipsch forum I could have got even more If I had sold those parts on Ebay .Bob Crties even bought some of the Cornwall parts himself .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #18953 of 39692 Old 05-14-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Louis Bartay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

old Heresy parts & any old Klipsch parts sell Very Well on Ebay there even resellers that buy old Klipsch parts as they resell them in Europe . i sold my Cornwall parts at price that paid about 3/4 of the costs to upgrade the Cornies to CornScalas most was sold thru the Klipsch forum I could have got even more If I had sold those parts on Ebay .Bob Crties even bought some of the Cornwall parts himself .

He is correct. I have extra K-700 horns (metal) K-55-V drivers and and a spare pair of K-77-M tweeters that I have been asked to sell several times. We purchased the Corwalls new when I was in my late 20's and 30 plus years later all the drivers are still orginal. I did purchase new Crites cross over boards (Type "B") worried old oil filled caps would leak like my Revox R2R recorder did (same age as Corns) I thought about a new motor board for my HII to mod(I have to stay off Crites web site) but they too have been in the family from day one and I hate to cut on them. For rear surround your Heresy (stock) should be fine I had mine as my rears and Corns as fronts with a RC-62 center......... sounds great on HT Blurays. My HII are on stands now and fronts in the bedroom with subs. I use RS3-II mounted on the wall 6 feet behind the sofa aimed down at your back.
For HT use the RS3-II in the small den are great surrounds.They blended in with Corns and RC-62 just fine after I ran the room correction program in my AVR again and used my SPL meter to fine tune the 5.2 system. I was suprised you can use Reference and Heritage (timber thing)together in a HT system and it sounds great. My guess is my small room and setting up my Cornwall fronts as "SMALL" in the room correction program. Did you try the Heresy as Fronts with a sub?This works is great for stereo......HT was great too. Just a thought for someting for you to try.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II
Klipsch Heresy II, KSB 1.1
Klipsch Sub 12" X3 Hafler P3000,P1000, DH330 DH110
Yamaha RX-V1900, T-1000,A-1000 Class A, GE-20 GEQ CDC-697
ReVox A-77 Mk IV Dolby, Nakamichi BX-100 PL-518X DL103R
Louis Bartay is offline  
post #18954 of 39692 Old 05-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Newbie
 
yvrmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Son View Post

To further this, if the listening position was on a back wall I wouldn't use RSes. This is another good use for RBs because of the direct firing design, while the RSes would be much too close to the corners.

Sounds like our case, a small room with seating at the back. Due to the size of the room, the surround speakers are essentially in the corners.

Is there much of a difference between the series II speakers and series I?
If so, I'm inclined to pick up a pair of RB61-II's, a RC62-II, and put the three of them up front, with our existing series 1 RB61s at the rear.

Open to ideas...
Mike
yvrmike is offline  
post #18955 of 39692 Old 05-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Member
 
rdeyoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I just recently moved and just got done setting up my klipsch speakers and AV, and noticed that when there is alot of volume activity coming through the center channel, it sounds majorly distorted or clipped.

My current setup consists of a Pioneer Elite reciever, Klipsch RC64 Center and Klipsch RF-5s for the Front speakers (no rears yet ) and a PS3 set to use Linear PCM. I did the MCACC auto calibration - but it didnt fix the problem. I vaguely remember having to set up something a certain way to avoid this problem in the past, but I cant remember!

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
rdeyoung is offline  
post #18956 of 39692 Old 05-14-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MSchu18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I have an elite and a 64... I have zero issues. there IS a separate center speaker volume control if you look... perhaps it is max'ed out by accident.

is your polarity reversed?

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
MSchu18 is offline  
post #18957 of 39692 Old 05-14-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nickff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brownsburg, IN
Posts: 1,576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Can anyone recommend a speaker stand for the RB-81 iis?

Thanks!

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

 

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

Nickff is online now  
post #18958 of 39692 Old 05-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
the Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrmike View Post

Sounds like our case, a small room with seating at the back. Due to the size of the room, the surround speakers are essentially in the corners.

Is there much of a difference between the series II speakers and series I?
If so, I'm inclined to pick up a pair of RB61-II's, a RC62-II, and put the three of them up front, with our existing series 1 RB61s at the rear.

Open to ideas...
Mike

Sounds good.

There's not a discernable sound difference between the Reference IV and Reference V (-II). The IIs will be lighter because they use some kind of new voodoo magnet technology that allows a smaller magnet.

Other than that, you can see the cosmetic differences.
the Son is offline  
post #18959 of 39692 Old 05-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Senior Member
 
rlhaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Has anyone listened to the THX Ultra 2? Im in the process of building a home theater which may take awhile so I dont want just built in speakers. I wanted something I can listen to now and later build them into my theater room. I liked the idea of the Klipsch THX Ultra 2 for that reason and the fact they dropped to around $800.00 for each speaker. Was thinking of 3 KL650's and pair of Ks525 for rears. I may add 2 sides later. Either the KS or KL525. depends on whether I want dipole or direct firing sound.
Just curious if there were any comparisons. Also curious as to what other speaker they are compared too. My local dealer does not sell the Ultra series Klipsch. (just the cheaper speakers) So I will have to buy, then return in 30 days if I dont like them.

* forgot to mention I may add the Denon 4311 or similar integra amp. The sales rep stated its only 140wpc in (2 channel modes, when playing all 7-9ch its more like 75wpc) Is this true? It stated its a monoblock design. I assumed it discretly played all channels with 140wpc. Or is he just trying to upsell me a more expensive amp? ic. McIntosh, Parasound Halo, etc. Should I use a seperate amp for power and buy a cheap pre with the codecs for surround sound? thanks for your thoughts..

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
rlhaudio is offline  
post #18960 of 39692 Old 05-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Senior Member
 
djPerfectTrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhaudio View Post

* forgot to mention I may add the Denon 4311 or similar integra amp. The sales rep stated its only 140wpc in (2 channel modes, when playing all 7-9ch its more like 75wpc) Is this true? It stated its a monoblock design. I assumed it discretly played all channels with 140wpc. Or is he just trying to upsell me a more expensive amp? ic. McIntosh, Parasound Halo, etc. Should I use a seperate amp for power and buy a cheap pre with the codecs for surround sound? thanks for your thoughts..

He is trying to upsell you by telling you the truth, and it probably won't even give you 75. Yes on the separate amps. Check out the emotiva UMC-1 for pre/pro, I've heard good things about it and it's fairly inexpensive and comes with a big ol discount for the new emotiva that is coming out this year (xmc-1 I think?). Speakers like that are going to love more power and you will be able to push them like they should be. I hope this helps =^)

Turn it up!
djPerfectTrip is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off