AVS Forum banner
5M views 61K replies 4K participants last post by  drh3b 
#1 ·
Let here from all the Klipsch owners. Likes or dislikes about Klipsch? I update a lot of my equipment in the last few months. I have the RF-83 mains, RC-64 center,RF-82 rears and Infinity SM152 for the back speakers. Veloydne DLS-5000 and a Klipsch KSW-200 for subs. A Sony STR-DA7100ES receiver,Sony 60"SXRD,Sony DVP-NS90V DVD, Sony SLV-676UC VCR,Sony MDP-33 laserdisc,Philips CD770 CD recorder, JVC XV-S65 DVD, JVC TD-W660 cassette, JVC XL-M700 multi cd, JVC AL-F350 turn table, Fisher CAV875 video switcher, JVC HM-DSR100U DVHS dish, Xbox 360, Motorola cable box. My room size is 16x18. Over all I am very happy with the whole system. The Rf-83 turned out to very fine speaker little less in the bass than I would like, but the mid and high are great. The Veloydne fill the gap nicely. I like lot of base in my system. The RC-64 is a kick but center speaker, very large in size but great sound for dialogue. It is the best center I ever heard. The RF-82 are not as refined as the FR-83 but very nice for the price. The DLS-5000 is a bargain for the price you can buy them for. Looks like they range from 600-800 online. Plenty of volume , but it doesn't go as low in frequency as the more expensive subs. In the future I will look at the new Klipsch subs along with SVS,Earthquake, or another Veloydne. Driving all this is the Sony 7100ES that I am totaly happy with. This whole system is incredibly loud.

See less See more
#38,661 ·
I'm torn about the x5200w... needing an external pre to use all 4 height speakers seems like a pain + it won't work with a 4k bluray player supposedly due to HDCP connectivity... if it weren't for that I'd of bought that unit. I'm curious how the Atmos sounds though with Klipsch... let me know!
I will let you know as soon as the rest of my speakers get here. Adding a 100.00 Amp to drive some height speakers is easy as can be.

#38,662 ·
I'm torn about the x5200w... needing an external pre to use all 4 height speakers seems like a pain + it won't work with a 4k bluray player supposedly due to HDCP connectivity... if it weren't for that I'd of bought that unit. I'm curious how the Atmos sounds though with Klipsch... let me know!
Worst case scenario with the HDCP is buying a blu ray player with two HDMI outputs. Honestly doesn't matter to me because 1080p already looks spectacular. 4k is better than 1080p like RF 82's are better than RF62s. It's definitely better, but in my room isn't not really going to be as noticeable to me.

The external amp thing is kinda disappointing kinda, but only annoying to set up. Then it's fine.

#38,663 ·
Finally picked up my rf 82ii. Now the 2 month wait to use them as I had to move into a apartment in between closing on our old house and new house being built.

#38,664 ·
Worst case scenario with the HDCP is buying a blu ray player with two HDMI outputs. Honestly doesn't matter to me because 1080p already looks spectacular. 4k is better than 1080p like RF 82's are better than RF62s. It's definitely better, but in my room isn't not really going to be as noticeable to me.

The external amp thing is kinda disappointing kinda, but only annoying to set up. Then it's fine.
I agree regarding 4k but it's the other things that come along with the 4k spec that intrigue me... HDR, higher def 3D & expanded color... unless if HDR & color gamut can be utilized on 1080p. I plan to buy a new TV around Xmas 2015 and was hoping to upgrade my AVR right now but have it be ready for the TV.

#38,665 ·
I have a 7.1 system and plan on picking up a pair of rs speakers. Are those better suited to be used as the side surrounds or the surround backs? I would assume the side surrounds as the backs I believe are the matrixed speakers.

#38,666 ·
I will let you know as soon as the rest of my speakers get here. Adding a 100.00 Amp to drive some height speakers is easy as can be.
What actual product are you using to amp those last 2 heights? I don't know much about external pres in the home audio world. I actually do co-run a studio so I have a bunch of mic preamps but I'm sure that's totally different than a 2 channel home audio pre (haha).

#38,667 ·
What actual product are you using to amp those last 2 heights? I don't know much about external pres in the home audio world. I actually do co-run a studio so I have a bunch of mic preamps but I'm sure that's totally different than a 2 channel home audio pre (haha).
I am using an Emotiva UPA-200 for the 2 heights, an XPA-200 for my front left and right, and an XPA-100 for my center. I really like Emotiva but you could probably get away with a cheaper stereo amp like this with some sensitive speakers:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00026BQJ6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2EA1X2CQ2VSQ9&coliid=IGO6TA9ZL7WKW&psc=1

#38,668 ·
I have a 7.1 system and plan on picking up a pair of rs speakers. Are those better suited to be used as the side surrounds or the surround backs? I would assume the side surrounds as the backs I believe are the matrixed speakers.
They're meant as side surrounds, but I know a couple folks here have had success positioning them as rears due to room constraints.

#38,669 ·
They're meant as side surrounds, but I know a couple folks here have had success positioning them as rears due to room constraints.
I think they are meant as both surrounds and rear surrounds. I am using them as such anyway and I have plenty of room.

#38,670 ·
I am using an Emotiva UPA-200 for the 2 heights, an XPA-200 for my front left and right, and an XPA-100 for my center. I really like Emotiva but you could probably get away with a cheaper stereo amp like this with some sensitive speakers:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00026BQJ6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2EA1X2CQ2VSQ9&coliid=IGO6TA9ZL7WKW&psc=1
If I get that I'd pair it with Def tech A 60's... do you guys think those would make the best surrounds for Klipsch or will this be a trial n error sort of thing? I keep going back and forth about the Denon.

#38,671 ·
My RB81IIs (aka the "can't get RF7s yet compromise") showed up today!

The first thing my wife said about them was that "they're a lot bigger than I was expecting; you didn't tell me that." Uh-oh...

Then after we demoed some tracks from the Frozen soundtrack she said, "Oh, those do sound better." :)

I had Mike Oldfield's "Secrets/Far Above the Clouds" from Tubular Bells III up around 85-90 dB and it sounded pretty excellent to me.

Haven't done any movies yet as it was close to the kiddo's bedtime and we didn't want to keep her up on a school night, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they can do and how my existing RS42IIs hold up against them.

For now, my RB41IIs are hooked up as "presence" speakers to my Yamaha AVR; I think the 41s will either move to rear duty at the back of the room near the ceiling (to work around the bay window) or up to our bedroom.

I thought it might be fun to get a shot of the 81s next to their little cousins, so here's a not very good photo from my phone. The size difference is *really* striking! I know the vertical placement isn't ideal--we have a ways to go on reconfiguring the room before I can get the 81s at their proper height. I also want to relocate the sub to the corner but that's also dependent on some of the same constraints, and the cabinet likewise limits me for now to the RC42 (which sounds fine, but could always be better).

Attachments

#38,672 ·
If I get that I'd pair it with Def tech A 60's... do you guys think those would make the best surrounds for Klipsch or will this be a trial n error sort of thing? I keep going back and forth about the Denon.
Well I am matching Klipsch with Klipsch but I don't have a setup conducive to Atmos enabled speakers, my ceilings are too tall and my rears would either be too close or too far away so ceiling mounted would at least have to happen for top rears. At the end of the day I think any surround speakers will do the trick when mounted properly. Of course I am gambling on that thought process :rolleyes:

#38,673 ·

The first thing my wife said about them was that "they're a lot bigger than I was expecting; you didn't tell me that." Uh-oh...

Then after we demoed some tracks from the Frozen soundtrack she said, "Oh, those do sound better." :)

I had Mike Oldfield's "Secrets/Far Above the Clouds" from Tubular Bells III up around 85-90 dB and it sounded pretty excellent to me.

Haven't done any movies yet as it was close to the kiddo's bedtime and we didn't want to keep her up on a school night, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they can do and how my existing RS42IIs hold up against them.

For now, my RB41IIs are hooked up as "presence" speakers to my Yamaha AVR; I think the 41s will either move to rear duty at the back of the room near the ceiling (to work around the bay window) or up to our bedroom.

I thought it might be fun to get a shot of the 81s next to their little cousins, so here's a not very good photo from my phone. The size difference is *really* striking! I know the vertical placement isn't ideal--we have a ways to go on reconfiguring the room before I can get the 81s at their proper height. I also want to relocate the sub to the corner but that's also dependent on some of the same constraints, and the cabinet likewise limits me for now to the RC42 (which sounds fine, but could always be better).
Wow, the 41s look like toys in comparison! Congrats and maybe this will plant the seed for your wife to "decide" that y'all should go a little bigger :D

#38,674 ·
Well I am matching Klipsch with Klipsch but I don't have a setup conducive to Atmos enabled speakers, my ceilings are too tall and my rears would either be too close or too far away so ceiling mounted would at least have to happen for top rears. At the end of the day I think any surround speakers will do the trick when mounted properly. Of course I am gambling on that thought process :rolleyes:
Just timber (tamber) matching to worry about... which the Dolby guy said you should be able to EQ your way out of that problem in the home theater geeks podcast recently. Not a problem for the Denon

#38,676 ·
Yes, this couch is the only seating. The Rear Chorus II's are setup on the L/R rear outputs from my receiver... they are 4 feet behind the couch, slightly off from the walls and angled towards the center of the room/listening position.

SB-2's might be better then? It would sure save me a lot of money hahah. But I'm sure the 62's kick enough ass to be worth it in the right situation.
I'm running 3.1 right now. Next, I'm going to be getting the RS-62 II's. My seating is against the back wall and the left wall.

#38,677 ·
Reading about those speakers what some of you have is amazing. I never had chance to listen Chorus II's or Forte II's or La Scalas original one or II.
It is so cool to know some of those speakers build long time ago still exist and people enjoy them a lot. Hope I will have chance to listen them soon to know how they sound like and what I'm missing. :)
The very first Klipsch speaker I heard was the Khorn. Since then, I've been hooked. I've always preferred the 3-way speaker design over the 2-way. Bought my Chorus II's new in 95. Been pissing people off ever since. I did have a pair of La Scala's. Just didn't have the room any more for them and sold them a couple of years ago. They were some sweet sounding speakers.

#38,678 ·
Mongo, do you remember what you paid for your Chorus II in 1995, & what MSRP was?

#38,679 ·

Great picture I can't believe how bigger RB-81 are compare RB41 wow. Mine RB-81 will arrive soon will use them for front heights or wides will see.

#38,680 ·
hello all, I have a fast question. WHY is it that if not all major "audiophile" publications that i know of; DO NOT SUPPORT KLIPSCH speakers? might get a mention but just fall short.. Like how many pages of this forum here we have?