AVS Forum banner
5M views 61K replies 4K participants last post by  drh3b 
#1 ·
Let here from all the Klipsch owners. Likes or dislikes about Klipsch? I update a lot of my equipment in the last few months. I have the RF-83 mains, RC-64 center,RF-82 rears and Infinity SM152 for the back speakers. Veloydne DLS-5000 and a Klipsch KSW-200 for subs. A Sony STR-DA7100ES receiver,Sony 60"SXRD,Sony DVP-NS90V DVD, Sony SLV-676UC VCR,Sony MDP-33 laserdisc,Philips CD770 CD recorder, JVC XV-S65 DVD, JVC TD-W660 cassette, JVC XL-M700 multi cd, JVC AL-F350 turn table, Fisher CAV875 video switcher, JVC HM-DSR100U DVHS dish, Xbox 360, Motorola cable box. My room size is 16x18. Over all I am very happy with the whole system. The Rf-83 turned out to very fine speaker little less in the bass than I would like, but the mid and high are great. The Veloydne fill the gap nicely. I like lot of base in my system. The RC-64 is a kick but center speaker, very large in size but great sound for dialogue. It is the best center I ever heard. The RF-82 are not as refined as the FR-83 but very nice for the price. The DLS-5000 is a bargain for the price you can buy them for. Looks like they range from 600-800 online. Plenty of volume , but it doesn't go as low in frequency as the more expensive subs. In the future I will look at the new Klipsch subs along with SVS,Earthquake, or another Veloydne. Driving all this is the Sony 7100ES that I am totaly happy with. This whole system is incredibly loud.

See less See more
#38,801 ·
Maybe not the brightest question of the day but, it might be the fist one of the day!

If a plate amp dies.... why replace it with another (that might also die) when I'd guess you could just work around it and plumb an outboard amp in?

Is it just about keeping things tidy?
I think it would look cleaner to have a passive set up and only 1 set of wires going to the sub. I think its more of an "ease of use" and "all in one" type of deal.

#38,802 ·
Maybe not the brightest question of the day but, it might be the fist one of the day!

If a plate amp dies.... why replace it with another (that might also die) when I'd guess you could just work around it and plumb an outboard amp in?

Is it just about keeping things tidy?
Most people have no idea what amp to purchase and how to do this. I thought about this but Mike said it was easier to just order another one from SVS. To be fair he is retired and his equipment is ON all day and into the night every day so his equipment gets a LOT or use.

Reactions: evan1242
#38,803 ·
#38,804 · (Edited)
If SVS subs will be available in Best Buy stores then they can start clearance all other subs what they have now in stores no one will buy them. :D

Plus if you need help with choice sub it will be always better to contact SVS and talk to them they are great what they do talk to about set up what you looking for and other details what helps figure out the best sub for each room, I'm afraid you will never get those answers from Best Buy employes

Reactions: Louis Bartay
#38,805 ·
Will Best Buy charge more?

#38,807 ·
Klipsch speakers sound amazing for home theatre. They are the perfect choice in my opinion to bring objects through to my ears with more clarity and precision than any other speaker brand at that price point IMO. However, when it comes to music, they sound so different they are borderline intolerable compared to what I replaced, the Cerwin Vega D9s. The reason I don't stew about it is because my home theatre is 99% home theatre. I play my music upstairs, where my Cerwin Vegas still rock out and can fill a huge space with no effort. It's a 100% subjective feeling thing, so the only advice I give to people thinking about Klipsch for music is "go listen to them, b/c you'll either love em or hate em."

To answer your 2nd question, this is my atmos setup:
Mains: RF 62ii
Center: RC 62ii
All 8 surrounds/ceilings: RB51ii's.
Subwoofer: AV123 MFW15

The AVR should arrive this week and the remaining RB51s should arrive Monday. Already have my homemade mounts ready and will report on everything next week.
Where did you buy the speakers?

#38,809 ·
FYI to those who care: The RB51iis mounted on a ceiling very easily and are crazy secure pointing straight down. Home depot solution to mounting, cost me about 20 dollars to mount all 4. I haven't balanced out the system yet with the X5200W and obviously I'm only using the upmixer b/c I don't have any ATMOS content...... but so far these speakers present a very nice ATMOS capability at least for me.

#38,810 ·
AVscience was selling them at an extreme discount due to them discontinuing Klipsch completely, which was like 45% off of MSRP. They may still have some.
Before that sale Sound Distributors gave me the best deal without the AVS super sale b/c their prices included shipping. There are others out there I'm sure.
I wonder why AVS is not going sell Klipsch anymore :confused:

#38,811 ·
I actually am curious who is going to sell Klipsch? I also wonder what is going to happen to their Forum as the new speakers come out...There doesn't appear to be much love for the new Reference line--Fwiw, I thought the new soundbar seemed pretty cool for that market, but I have no idea about their Headphones...

#38,812 ·

It is not AVS who decide but Klipsch. AVS is going to stop carry Klipsch becouse Klipsch did some restructuring and we are one of the casualties. This is what Mike from AVS said when I asked him and make my purchase.

#38,813 ·
It is not AVS who decide but Klipsch. AVS is going to stop carry Klipsch becouse Klipsch did some restructuring and we are one of the casualties. This is what Mike from AVS said when I asked him and make my purchase.
I figured when Klipsch was purchased changes would happen. :(

#38,815 ·
I actually am curious who is going to sell Klipsch? I also wonder what is going to happen to their Forum as the new speakers come out...There doesn't appear to be much love for the new Reference line--Fwiw, I thought the new soundbar seemed pretty cool for that market, but I have no idea about their Headphones...

Best Buy will carry the new Reference I line, soundbars and headphones. Reference II, Palladium, THX II, and Heritage are going to be sold through independent dealers. To make them more appealing to independent dealers, they had to pull out of several sales channels including AVS Sales, as well as freshen up the line, and add more margin to attract more dealers.

#38,816 ·
It was interesting seeing their trajectory when they apparently were putting Klipsch Inc on the market and the introduction of the "old" Reference and putting the "II" in their name--My guess that's when they started cutting costs and at best both lines were comparable...That said, and seeing the financial disclosures/reactions to VOXX it seems hard to believe they are putting much money in R & D for these legacy speakers...

Folks seem just as happy with the "II" line as they were with the originals so they are still products that they think are marketable but it still amazes me how many people purchase off of the internet without ever hearing them.

#38,817 · (Edited)
Best Buy will carry the new Reference I line, soundbars and headphones. Reference II, Palladium, THX II, and Heritage are going to be sold through independent dealers. To make them more appealing to independent dealers, they had to pull out of several sales channels including AVS Sales, as well as freshen up the line, and add more margin to attract more dealers.
If BBY stays afloat that will be where Klipsch makes their money--That said, I was around (and got some really good deals on what I own) when they were pulling out of TWTR (their largest distributor at the time) and going into ULTE and then the latter went bankrupt--That is when they started making deals with Magnolia, although they never had upper end Reference to audition... {NOTE: I also noticed the only center channel they carried was the RC-52 and had it paired with both the RF-62 and RF-82 and realized that folks had a hard time using a larger center channel with their flat screen tvs}

I also can't believe they sell very many Heritage speakers and I would be real curious on Palladium sales given what's available at that price point...It seems the THX lines have a pretty good margin for distributors and that along with the THX Ultra II rating still make it attractive for potential buyers--I saw those being discussed on a thread here recent by a guy doing his homework.

#38,818 · (Edited)
It was interesting seeing their trajectory when they apparently were putting Klipsch Inc on the market and the introduction of the "old" Reference and putting the "II" in their name--My guess that's when they started cutting costs and at best both lines were comparable...That said, and seeing the financial disclosures/reactions to VOXX it seems hard to believe they are putting much money in R & D for these legacy speakers...

Folks seem just as happy with the "II" line as they were with the originals so they are still products that they think are marketable but it still amazes me how many people purchase off of the internet without ever hearing them.
If BBY stays afloat that will be where Klipsch makes their money--That said, I was around (and got some really good deals on what I own) when they were pulling out of TWTR (their largest distributor at the time) and going into ULTE and then the latter went bankrupt--That is when they started making deals with Magnolia, although they never had upper end Reference to audition... {NOTE: I also noticed the only center channel they carried was the RC-52 and had it paired with both the RF-62 and RF-82 and realized that folks had a hard time using a larger center channel with their flat screen tvs}

I also can't believe they sell very many Heritage speakers and I would be real curious on Palladium sales given what's available at that price point...It seems the THX lines have a pretty good margin for distributors and that along with the THX Ultra II rating still make it attractive for potential buyers--I saw those being discussed on a thread here recent by a guy doing his homework.

I think it goes without saying that in this industry, that if you fail to constantly update and advance your product then you’re going to be left in the dust. No speaker company does a flawlessjob at updating products, Klipsch included. Some updates are marginal, while others are profound. So while VOXX is everyone’s favorite punching bag, it’s not necessarily their fault when the former happens. Klipsch has a sizable budget for RD.

You are making some good points, but let’s put it all together. When it comes to ID, Amazon rules. But with that, as a manufacturer you also lose pricing power. Klipsch realizes this. If folks want to ‘showroom’ (look at it at Best Buy or anywhere else, but buy it cheaper on Amazon) with the lower end gear, that’s fine. They’ll still sell so much of it, that it won’t matter. The problem is their premium gear being on Amazon or other ID retailers. Klipsch realizes that this market belongs with independent retailers. The problem is, you can’t have a decent margin when you’reprice is undercut on Amazon. In order to sell with independents you need asizeable margin.

In the end this is a healthier model for the premium lines. For example, you hit a good point, Palladium has been reeling. It’s a serious product which can’t get a serious market foothold.

#38,819 ·
I think it goes without sayingthat in this industry, that if you fail to constantly update and advance your productthen you’re going to be left in the dust. No speaker company does a flawlessjob at updating products, Klipsch included. Some updates are marginal, whileothers are profound. So while VOXX is everyone’s favorite punching bag, it’snot necessarily their fault if this happens. Klipsch has a sizable budget forRD. ...
For the record, I wasn't bashing VOXX and agree that the market has changed a lot with the onset of the internet--That said, when Paul Klipsch was in control of the company he was a genius scientist who had the final word and now it's marketers and the need to deliver profits to shareholders--Nothing wrong with that but, imo those are where the changes lie...The last big invention appeared to be the advent of the tractrix compression driver which allowed speakers to have a smaller footprint, but I am not sure where that design mated to a/few LF drivers is going to change. My 2 cents. {Note: I admit I haven't been following the headphone market but that is where it appears a lot of their efforts have gone in the last 5 years.}

#38,820 ·