AVS Forum banner
5M views 61K replies 4K participants last post by  drh3b 
#1 ·
Let here from all the Klipsch owners. Likes or dislikes about Klipsch? I update a lot of my equipment in the last few months. I have the RF-83 mains, RC-64 center,RF-82 rears and Infinity SM152 for the back speakers. Veloydne DLS-5000 and a Klipsch KSW-200 for subs. A Sony STR-DA7100ES receiver,Sony 60"SXRD,Sony DVP-NS90V DVD, Sony SLV-676UC VCR,Sony MDP-33 laserdisc,Philips CD770 CD recorder, JVC XV-S65 DVD, JVC TD-W660 cassette, JVC XL-M700 multi cd, JVC AL-F350 turn table, Fisher CAV875 video switcher, JVC HM-DSR100U DVHS dish, Xbox 360, Motorola cable box. My room size is 16x18. Over all I am very happy with the whole system. The Rf-83 turned out to very fine speaker little less in the bass than I would like, but the mid and high are great. The Veloydne fill the gap nicely. I like lot of base in my system. The RC-64 is a kick but center speaker, very large in size but great sound for dialogue. It is the best center I ever heard. The RF-82 are not as refined as the FR-83 but very nice for the price. The DLS-5000 is a bargain for the price you can buy them for. Looks like they range from 600-800 online. Plenty of volume , but it doesn't go as low in frequency as the more expensive subs. In the future I will look at the new Klipsch subs along with SVS,Earthquake, or another Veloydne. Driving all this is the Sony 7100ES that I am totaly happy with. This whole system is incredibly loud.

See less See more
#46,101 ·
2.1? RP280F and a good sub should suffice for just tv and gaming
I currently have a 2.1 setup in the living room and have a hard time hearing dialogue unless I turn the volume up. For example, I have a 3.1 setup in one room with RF82II and a RC62II and another room with a 2.1 setup with RF62II. In the 2.1 room with I normally have to turn the volume up at least 5db higher to hear dialogue. I'm the room layout has something to do with this too.

My original plan was to get RP-150M and the RP-250C, but after doing some measurements and taking into account having to buy stands; I might as well step up to some floorstanders. There's more than enough space for them.

#46,102 ·
I'm using an RP-250C with RF-250Fs. Prior to this, I was using an RF-52 with an RC-52ii, which have now been moved to a second room. My primary room is 13' wide by 15' deep. I'm powering these with a Parasound A52, which is a bit overkill.
I'm wanting to get RP260s and a RP250C since I can't fit anything bigger in my TV stand. I currently have RF62II and still in the box RC62II. I never used it since it couldn't fit in the stand and I refuse to wall mount my TV. Room is 20x20x12 and it is open to the kitchen. This room is mostly used for watching directv so I will only have a 3.1 system.
Have you tried putting the tv on top of the center channel? I have a 70 inch on top of my rc 62 ii and there is no problem.

#46,104 ·
Originally Posted by TivoUser
I'm using an RP-250C with RF-250Fs. Prior to this, I was using an RF-52 with an RC-52ii, which have now been moved to a second room. My primary room is 13' wide by 15' deep. I'm powering these with a Parasound A52, which is a bit overkill.
I'm wanting to get RP260s and a RP250C since I can't fit anything bigger in my TV stand. I currently have RF62II and still in the box RC62II. I never used it since it couldn't fit in the stand and I refuse to wall mount my TV. Room is 20x20x12 and it is open to the kitchen. This room is mostly used for watching directv so I will only have a 3.1 system.
I have gone back and forth with people and not wanting to wall mount / wall-unit mount their flat panels.

At the end of the day, it's the best thing to do and makes everything so much easier (with the right mount and monoprice has them in all flavors CHEAP and high quality).

I also am not sure why you think 3.1 is only needed for a DirecTV setup...I'd definitely want surround and a 20x20x12 room is a nice size.

#46,105 ·
I have gone back and forth with people and not wanting to wall mount / wall-unit mount their flat panels.

At the end of the day, it's the best thing to do and makes everything so much easier (with the right mount and monoprice has them in all flavors CHEAP and high quality).

I also am not sure why you think 3.1 is only needed for a DirecTV setup...I'd definitely want surround and a 20x20x12 room is a nice size.
Some of the reasons why I don't want 5.1 in that room is because there are no back walls since it opens to the kitchen. I can't put the surrounds on the sidewalls because there is a wall of windows on one side. As far as the ceiling goes, there are cedar beams that are perfectly centered in the room. They block the ideal locations for ceiling speakers. :(

#46,106 ·
Some of the reasons why I don't want 5.1 in that room is because there are no back walls since it opens to the kitchen. I can't put the surrounds on the sidewalls because there is a wall of windows on one side. As far as the ceiling goes, there are cedar beams that are perfectly centered in the room. They block the ideal locations for ceiling speakers. :(
That makes more sense. You'd like 5.1, but cannot make it happen. With time alignment even if the side speakers are not parallel, they can still work nice. I am using small RS-25's due to some room challenges and one is more than 10' further away from me.

#46,112 ·
So I have been playing with REW and my UMIK-1 the last few weekends trying to get the feel for it. One thing that surprised me was how well the RP-280F fronts I have truly covered full range. I know they are rated down to 32Hz, but in my room the easily stayed good until 19Hz. and even then THD was under 7% and non of the harmonic distortion were bad. I also got very similar results from my RC-62ii center and even my RS-35 sides and RS-25 rears extended far below their rated frequency, although they start getting high in distortion. These was at -20db MV and -10db in REW

Attachments

#46,113 ·
quick question- probably should have put more thought into this earlier before I bought the speakers. but my room has double layer of 5/8 drywall on ceiling & walls. going to install 6 CDT-5800 speakers in ceiling. is the thickness too much of these speakers-or should they still secure no problem. wondering if anyone has experience in a similar situation.

#46,114 ·
quick question- probably should have put more thought into this earlier before I bought the speakers. but my room has double layer of 5/8 drywall on ceiling & walls. going to install 6 CDT-5800 speakers in ceiling. is the thickness too much of these speakers-or should they still secure no problem. wondering if anyone has experience in a similar situation.
I don't think they will have a problem. You can measure the clamping width if you have the speakers or send Klipsch an email.

If you read the instruction manual it said to put a 3/4" mdf board for support with drop ceiling tiles. Most drop ceiling tiles are 1/2" - 1" thick in my experience. This means it should accommodate at least 1.75".

#46,115 ·
I do have the speakers and measured- with the double 5/8 it leaves me with about 1/4 left to screw and clamp down on the fasteners. hopefully that will be enough for them to grab good onto the back end of the drywall. on one side there is strapping its 2 inches total in depth. so that won't work. have to figure out something on that issue.

#46,116 ·
So I have been playing with REW and my UMIK-1 the last few weekends trying to get the feel for it. One thing that surprised me was how well the RP-280F fronts I have truly covered full range. I know they are rated down to 32Hz, but in my room the easily stayed good until 19Hz. and even then THD was under 7% and non of the harmonic distortion were bad. I also got very similar results from my RC-62ii center and even my RS-35 sides and RS-25 rears extended far below their rated frequency, although they start getting high in distortion. These was at -20db MV and -10db in REW
Are these measurements with any EQ? Are you sure your sub wasn't on? :D

You have some issues with your front right between 80-200hz. You've got some pretty big swings in FR there (i.e. an 18db swing between 95-130hz).

Can you re-post the graph with 5db steps on the left side? Set limits to 55db and 105db.

Reactions: Red99
#46,117 ·
Are these measurements with any EQ? Are you sure your sub wasn't on? :D

You have some issues with your front right between 80-200hz. You've got some pretty big swings in FR there (i.e. an 18db swing between 95-130hz).

Can you re-post the graph with 5db steps on the left side? Set limits to 55db and 105db.
Audyssey EQ was on and set to flat. The sub was powered on, but AVR was set to LFE only thus the signal to each speaker would not have been driven there. I know the sub was not in play because i run my sub 6db hot a the sub sweeps were indeed higher.

The swing in in the front right I think is some room issues, I had similar issues with the sub. Also this was my first attempt at this for all speakers I am going to try again next weekend, I will try and repost the graphs tonight as I saved all the sample from REW.

#46,119 ·
Sadly all my CL calls ended up with no reply. I opted for a different speaker brand as the center and I am very happy. Thanks for the suggestions though.
don't get this post.

The RC62-II is around $400 from trusted vendors. Getting it at $200 is very probable.

On CL, most are asking too much and don't call back low-ballers.

What speaker did you go with?

Å