AVS Forum banner
5M views 61K replies 4K participants last post by  drh3b 
#1 ·
Let here from all the Klipsch owners. Likes or dislikes about Klipsch? I update a lot of my equipment in the last few months. I have the RF-83 mains, RC-64 center,RF-82 rears and Infinity SM152 for the back speakers. Veloydne DLS-5000 and a Klipsch KSW-200 for subs. A Sony STR-DA7100ES receiver,Sony 60"SXRD,Sony DVP-NS90V DVD, Sony SLV-676UC VCR,Sony MDP-33 laserdisc,Philips CD770 CD recorder, JVC XV-S65 DVD, JVC TD-W660 cassette, JVC XL-M700 multi cd, JVC AL-F350 turn table, Fisher CAV875 video switcher, JVC HM-DSR100U DVHS dish, Xbox 360, Motorola cable box. My room size is 16x18. Over all I am very happy with the whole system. The Rf-83 turned out to very fine speaker little less in the bass than I would like, but the mid and high are great. The Veloydne fill the gap nicely. I like lot of base in my system. The RC-64 is a kick but center speaker, very large in size but great sound for dialogue. It is the best center I ever heard. The RF-82 are not as refined as the FR-83 but very nice for the price. The DLS-5000 is a bargain for the price you can buy them for. Looks like they range from 600-800 online. Plenty of volume , but it doesn't go as low in frequency as the more expensive subs. In the future I will look at the new Klipsch subs along with SVS,Earthquake, or another Veloydne. Driving all this is the Sony 7100ES that I am totaly happy with. This whole system is incredibly loud.

See less See more
#49,681 ·
With all the talk of atmos here, I guess I'll give it a shot myself.

I've been looking for some decent on-ceiling speakers, but I'm having a little difficulty finding some, as most of them are in-ceiling. I can't use the latter because I live in a apartment, so I'm not too keen on making big holes in the ceiling!

What I've been looking at/or been suggested by sales-rep:

• Klipsch AW-650 (I've read the last couple of pages and seen them mentioned
  • Klipsch RP-240S
  • Tannoy Di6DC (seems like a favorite, but they are not available anymore)
(I'm a little uncertain of the next three)
  • System Audio Saxo 5
  • System Audio Talent
  • Boston Bravo 20

I have about 2.5m (8,2ft) to the ceiling.

The budget it's around 150-300USD/each, but I can go higher if needed.

--

As for the receiver, I have been a little torn between three models. It's either a Marantz SR7010, Denon AVR-X6200W or Yamaha RX-A3050 Aventage. I know this probably isn't the right section, but can anyone give me some input to help me choose :)

I'm also getting the Oppo BDP103 player to get a great source for the atmos!

#49,684 ·
I am building a 7.4 Atmos theater using all in-wall and in-ceiling speakers.

I don't know what the normal price difference is but right now I'm looking at about a $50 difference between the 5800 models and the 5650.

For the purpose of atmos, is there enough of difference between the 5650 and 5800 to justify the upgrade? I've never even heard an Atmos system so I don't know how much content actually comes through the ceiling speakers. My guess is it is not a lot. So not sure if I should make the upgrade.

For the rest of my speakers I'm using seven in wall speakers all around so the price difference is under $400 to upgrade all seven. Is it worth the upgrade? I've demo'd the 5650 and thought it was a little sharp, will the bigger 8" woofer in the 5800 help with the harshness of the horns?

#49,685 ·
I am building a 7.4 Atmos theater using all in-wall and in-ceiling speakers.

I don't know what the normal price difference is but right now I'm looking at about a $50 difference between the 5800 models and the 5650.

For the purpose of atmos, is there enough of difference between the 5650 and 5800 to justify the upgrade? I've never even heard an Atmos system so I don't know how much content actually comes through the ceiling speakers. My guess is it is not a lot. So not sure if I should make the upgrade.

For the rest of my speakers I'm using seven in wall speakers all around so the price difference is under $400 to upgrade all seven. Is it worth the upgrade? I've demo'd the 5650 and thought it was a little sharp, will the bigger 8" woofer in the 5800 help with the harshness of the horns?
I debated the same thing and spoke with a couple klipsch people. The 5650 is more than sufficient for atmos. There is really no need for a 8" woofer. Plus the cut out hole size for the 5800 is around 10 inches I believe. I'm happy with the 5650's I have.

#49,688 ·
Why would you put an In-wall in the ceiling

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
I wouldn't. My original question was about 5650 vs 8500 for in-ceiling. And I also asked about 5650 vs 8500 for in-wall. I got an answer about the ceiling speakers but not about the wall speakers. I never said I was going to put in-walls in the ceiling.

#49,689 ·
What about 5650 vs 8500 in-walls?
For any system I would prefer floorstanding speakers over in-wall any day of the week. Do you have room for the rp-280's? I got all 4 of mine for $20 more each than the msrp for the in-wall 5800's. You'll get a more fuller sound with floor standing speakers verse in-wall.

#49,690 ·
For any system I would prefer floorstanding speakers over in-wall any day of the week. Do you have room for the rp-280's? I got all 4 of mine for $20 more each than the msrp for the in-wall 5800's. You'll get a more fuller sound with floor standing speakers verse in-wall.
I am fully aware of the pros and cons of floorstanding speakers vs in-wall. I'm not going to get into all the reasons here but I've decided to go with in-walls and a floorstanding sub. I just need to figure out of the upgrade from 5650 to 8500 in-walls is worth it. My guess is that the jump to an 8" woofer from 6.5" makes it worth it.

#49,691 ·
Sad to say I have to let all my Klipsch gear go, no longer have the room for it :(. RB-61's, RC 52 and RS 42's exceeded my expectations and sounded phenomenal.

I'm going to put them up for sale on the AVS forums first, so if anyone is interested please feel free to shoot me a message. Will give you a good deal. It's the shipping that scares me lol

#49,692 ·
Haven't been on hear in a while. So many new Palladium owners!

I too have owned several Klipsch speakers (La Scala II's, RF-83's) and the Palladium's are by far the most realistic sounding speaker I've owned. Hands down my system is the best setup I've ever heard (and I've heard a few half million dollar systems), but I also spent several years studying room acoustics to get there.

Put some dual subs with these and you'll be in audio heaven.

Posted on the Klipsch forum already but I know how much everyone here loves pictures so..

Got a new front 3 setup and TV delivered. Loving the new gear so far, money well spent!

#49,693 · (Edited)
Here's some teaser pics and REW measurements of my current palladium setup:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1J0a4OV_WGLUVZBNUJBR29LTEU

It's been pretty stable the last 6-8 months, running out of things to improve. My REW plots are top notch at this point, but I don't get to measure a lot of other acoustically treated systems. The noise floor is a little high in the REW measurements due to the MiniDSP USB mic, but I'm now using an Earthworks M30 mic and external soundcard. Just need to rerun Dirac and update the REW measurements.

I also have some excellent P-17b's; just waiting for a processor with Atmos (Emotiva XMR-1 is coming someday)...

Attachments

#49,695 · (Edited)
HELP!

I'm planning to put Klipsch in-wall speakers in my theater and trying to figure out the differences between some of Klipsch's offerings is an exercise in futility.

As a baseline, my installer steered me towards the Reference speakers and I was going to go with the top of the line R-5800 W II. However, the entire Pro 6000 line is cheaper but as far as I can tell, I think Klipsch ranks the 6000's as a higher end line than Reference. So do I go with the R-5800 or 6000 series?

I understand the THX line is definitely higher up the food chain, but trying to figure out which model to go with is another frustrating endeavor.

TLDR - 1) Are any of the Pro 6000 speakers better than the Reference 5800? 2) For a theater that's 12' W x 16' D am I going to gain anything by jumping up to the THX?

The theater will be Atmos 7.4 with the 4 atmos speakers being in the ceiling.

P.S. Please don't tell me that I'll get better sound for less money with floor standing or bookshelf speakers. I know. It's not an option.

#49,696 ·
Here's some teaser pics and REW measurements of my current palladium setup:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1J0a4OV_WGLUVZBNUJBR29LTEU

It's been pretty stable the last 6-8 months, running out of things to improve. My REW plots are top notch at this point, but I don't get to measure a lot of other acoustically treated systems. The noise floor is a little high in the REW measurements due to the MiniDSP USB mic, but I'm now using an Earthworks M30 mic and external soundcard. Just need to rerun Dirac and update the REW measurements.

I also have some excellent P-17b's; just waiting for a processor with Atmos (Emotiva XMR-1 is coming someday)...

P39's? JL Gothams?

#49,697 ·
Some obstruction of few inches, but only in anamorphic mode.

Can't fit Gotham's or any cheaper DIY option as I have a 16 inch x 8 ft bass trap under screen. Using some fathoms.

Plenty of bass as is, below 1% THD too. Decay times are insanely low.

#49,698 ·
Hello. I'm getting an urge to build a HT system (really an apartment system until I move). This week, Best Buy has the R-26 towers on sale for half off at $176. Is that too good to pass up or should i save up for the RP line?

Too add to my anxiety, I found a RF-3, RC-3, and RS-3 set for $525 total. I know they're pretty old at this point, but would they be decent set up if they're in good condition?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

#49,699 ·
I'm still using my Mirage Nanosat 5.1 (technically Klipsch, right?) set that I got several years ago in my smaller-than-average condo living room. The center has always been the weak point of this set, and I'm considering picking up the R-440C that's on sale at Amazon today to bolster the system. The question is, if the center speaker so dramatically outclasses the L/R, will I have an issue with balance/timbre or can it still work out with decent EQ? I've got the Denon 710W, so it would be Audyssey MultiEQ.

#49,700 ·
Hello. I'm getting an urge to build a HT system (really an apartment system until I move). This week, Best Buy has the R-26 towers on sale for half off at $176. Is that too good to pass up or should i save up for the RP line?

Too add to my anxiety, I found a RF-3, RC-3, and RS-3 set for $525 total. I know they're pretty old at this point, but would they be decent set up if they're in good condition?

Any suggestions are appreciated!
If you are apartment living or in a small room, 13x15 or so, the R-26 will be plenty to make you super happy. If you ever move to a place where you have a dedicated, larger room, you might want to step up. I have a pair of KF-26, which is pretty much the exact same speaker, in that size room and they will give you all you want plus some.