Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 132Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 23204 Old 01-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
dynfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Salem WI
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithR View Post

Correct---but I would say reference doesn't mean who they travel with. Rather, what they design with. As most speaker manufacturers use a variety of amps in design, i think its a tad misleading to conclude as some will that "because dyn uses/likes sim, then i should buy sim."

To be honest, i've never really like the Dyn/Sim combo at shows i've been to. They need a more dynamic amp. Krell with a tube preamp is sublime. Plinius is also very popular. It's all very subjective.

ChrisWiggles: my buddy still has his 1.3SEs and has gotten usable bass in the 30s. That's ridiculous for the 1.3SEs diminutive size. He was going to upgrade to 25s but did not like the balance of the speaker and kept the 1.3SEs---now, the C1 is a different story and will probaby be his next step if he ever decides to upgrade. He's had the speaks for 5-6 years now.

I currently have the 1.3MKII's and LOVE them. I have been meaning to get a pair of SE's to compare them with... Do you have back to back experience with these? ALso appealing for the price point is the Audience 52SE. Do those compare to the 1.3SE's?

As for amps, I actually like Bryston with my Dyn's. but have a hankering to pick up a Proceed AMP5 and give that a whirl...

Wes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dynfan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 23204 Old 01-17-2007, 09:51 AM
 
ChrisWiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 20,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:


ALso appealing for the price point is the Audience 52SE. Do those compare to the 1.3SE's?

Have the 52SE, heard the 1.3SE, no contest IMO 1.3SE is superior. It's more than 2x the price (i think when the 1.3SE were sold new)). The 52SE are great little speakers, but the 1.3SE are just superior especially in the bass department.
ChrisWiggles is offline  
post #273 of 23204 Old 01-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Senior Member
 
goatwuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
bighat - you've got to pull those C2s out from the walls! Use the Cardas method for that room for MUCH better sound - http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...ing=Room+Setup

also - those bare walls and glass are not helping the sound!!! Look into fiberglass acoustic treamtents for those corners, back wall, and side wall first reflection points!!!
goatwuss is offline  
post #274 of 23204 Old 01-17-2007, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KeithR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

I hope you are not basing Dyn/Sim demos based on show setups. I am just stating a fact that they are highly partial to Simaudio products. In light of this, you or anyone else can make their own judgement.

Krell
Classe
Plinius
Bryston
Parasound

Theres lots of good solid state amps.

I've heard Sim amps on numerous occasions---the big W1000 monos (model #?) actually most of the time on a good friend's system that retails for 100k. Somewhat of a polite amp to my ears. More Levinson style than Krell style. I think the Dyns need something to wake them up at times.

Just my opinion, of course. Sonus Faber uses Krell in design and i almost never see that pairing around. Most use tubes with SF.
KeithR is offline  
post #275 of 23204 Old 01-17-2007, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KeithR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynfan View Post

I currently have the 1.3MKII's and LOVE them. I have been meaning to get a pair of SE's to compare them with... Do you have back to back experience with these? ALso appealing for the price point is the Audience 52SE. Do those compare to the 1.3SE's?

As for amps, I actually like Bryston with my Dyn's. but have a hankering to pick up a Proceed AMP5 and give that a whirl...

Pick up a pair of SEs for $1650 off a'gon and you will sell your MKIIs instantaneously.

As far as amps...i would be curious to try Dyns on my Nuforce 9s. My friend uses an old Citation ('90s vintage) and has never felt the need to buy another amp. I believe he has the 4 channel version (when DPL first came about).
KeithR is offline  
post #276 of 23204 Old 01-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Senior Member
 
BigHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arlington, VA 22204
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwuss View Post

bighat - you've got to pull those C2s out from the walls! Use the Cardas method for that room for MUCH better sound - http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...ing=Room+Setup

also - those bare walls and glass are not helping the sound!!! Look into fiberglass acoustic treamtents for those corners, back wall, and side wall first reflection points!!!


Thanks. I know I must look into this. Not a big room so hate to go too far out from the wall. Actually have a redecoration planned and will consider treatments.

Question: Baffles are 24" ffrom the back wall and 10 feet from the listening position. You think they would be better 4 feet from the back wall and 8 feet from the listening position?
BigHat is offline  
post #277 of 23204 Old 01-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Senior Member
 
wgerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone paired Naim and Dyns together? Do the Naim Nait5i has enough umph to drive Dyns? What is everybody's take on the PRAT thing (Pace rythmn and timing). Can it be said that Bryston and Krell have PRAT?

Linn Chakra amps and PS Audio's GCC series are all digital amps. Have anyone here hooked up Dyns to Digital amps? Supposively Digital Amps do not mind low impedence speakers such as Dyns.
wgerman is offline  
post #278 of 23204 Old 01-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
dynfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Salem WI
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithR View Post

Pick up a pair of SEs for $1650 off a'gon and you will sell your MKIIs instantaneously.

As far as amps...i would be curious to try Dyns on my Nuforce 9s. My friend uses an old Citation ('90s vintage) and has never felt the need to buy another amp. I believe he has the 4 channel version (when DPL first came about).

Interesting. That is my plan so we will see if the difference is that drastic to my ears....

I am getting the itch try stuff and listen to it, and if it's not what I want, sell it off.

I am planning on getting the NuForce AVP16 as I have head rave things about it for it's price range. I swear this is fun!!!!!!

Wes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dynfan is offline  
post #279 of 23204 Old 01-17-2007, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
AudioArchitect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgerman View Post

Has anyone paired Naim and Dyns together? Do the Naim Nait5i has enough umph to drive Dyns? What is everybody's take on the PRAT thing (Pace rythmn and timing). Can it be said that Bryston and Krell have PRAT?

Linn Chakra amps and PS Audio's GCC series are all digital amps. Have anyone here hooked up Dyns to Digital amps? Supposively Digital Amps do not mind low impedence speakers such as Dyns.

Bel Canto and Halcro make good digital. IMO I dont think its a mature enough technology to hop on the bandwagon. You can get a Bryston that you can have for 20 years and get awesome sound with Dyn.
AudioArchitect is offline  
post #280 of 23204 Old 01-18-2007, 01:37 AM
Senior Member
 
BigHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arlington, VA 22204
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

Bel Canto and Halcro make good digital. IMO I dont think its a mature enough technology to hop on the bandwagon. You can get a Bryston that you can have for 20 years and get awesome sound with Dyn.

I use a Bel Canto. Happy with it.
BigHat is offline  
post #281 of 23204 Old 01-18-2007, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KeithR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

Bel Canto and Halcro make good digital. IMO I dont think its a mature enough technology to hop on the bandwagon. You can get a Bryston that you can have for 20 years and get awesome sound with Dyn.

My Nuforce amps are 3x as good as my former Bryston 4BSST. It wasn't even remotely close. I feel unless you want to spend 10k on an SS amp, i really would look into digital offerings---especially for the HT crowd here as they run cool.

A friend of a friend replaced Pass 350 with Nuforce. That says something.
KeithR is offline  
post #282 of 23204 Old 01-18-2007, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
AudioArchitect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithR View Post

My Nuforce amps are 3x as good as my former Bryston 4BSST. It wasn't even remotely close. I feel unless you want to spend 10k on an SS amp, i really would look into digital offerings---especially for the HT crowd here as they run cool.

A friend of a friend replaced Pass 350 with Nuforce. That says something.

We brought in a pair of Nuforce Ref 9's and I just wasnt impressed. But everyone prefers their own flavor.

Ive heard Jeff Rowland makes a good class D, however they are very spendy compared to other class D's.
AudioArchitect is offline  
post #283 of 23204 Old 01-19-2007, 05:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Tmueller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have a demo setup with Special 25s and a pair of Ref. 9s in which the old saying applies: "You have got to hear it to believe it." The micro-dynamics, bass extension, and musicality are really impressive.

That being said, I have put a pair of Ref. 9s on our demo 5.4s and while the sound was impressive I felt that there was not quite enough current to really drive the big towers to their potential. (Which was a shame because the sound quality was much improved over other options we had been pairing.)

NuForce is supposed to be coming out with a higher powered version model for customers/dealers like us (with big Dyn Towers, static 4 ohm) whom cannot bi-amp. (Keep fingers crossed.)

Also, the Halcro MC20 works really nice.

Tyler Mueller


Next Level Audio and Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tmueller is offline  
post #284 of 23204 Old 01-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Senior Member
 
wgerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmueller View Post

We have a demo setup with Special 25s and a pair of Ref. 9s in which the old saying applies: "You have got to hear it to believe it." The micro-dynamics, bass extension, and musicality are really impressive.

That being said, I have put a pair of Ref. 9s on our demo 5.4s and while the sound was impressive I felt that there was not quite enough current to really drive the big towers to their potential. (Which was a shame because the sound quality was much improved over other options we had been pairing.)

NuForce is supposed to be coming out with a higher powered version model for customers/dealers like us (with big Dyn Towers, static 4 ohm) whom cannot bi-amp. (Keep fingers crossed.)

Also, the Halcro MC20 works really nice.

Hello Mr. Mueller, I am the caller from Texas. Thank you for taking the time and answering my questions.
wgerman is offline  
post #285 of 23204 Old 01-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Tmueller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It was my pleasure--Enjoy building your new system and let me know if you need any other advice etc.

Tyler Mueller


Next Level Audio and Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tmueller is offline  
post #286 of 23204 Old 01-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Newbie
 
madmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have an ayre amp and was thinking of replacing my current bookshelves with some 1.4's. Would this be a good match? How would you describe the 1.4's in terms of overall warmth vs. brightness? Dead neutral or leaning ever so slightly one way or the other? Thanks!
madmoose is offline  
post #287 of 23204 Old 01-19-2007, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
AudioArchitect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmoose View Post

Hi, I have an ayre amp and was thinking of replacing my current bookshelves with some 1.4's. Would this be a good match? How would you describe the 1.4's in terms of overall warmth vs. brightness? Dead neutral or leaning ever so slightly one way or the other? Thanks!

Ayre would sound awesome with the 1.4. I find the 1.4 slightly on the warmer side of neutral compared with the Special 25 or C1. Dynaudio speakers are never bright sounding.
AudioArchitect is offline  
post #288 of 23204 Old 01-19-2007, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KeithR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

We brought in a pair of Nuforce Ref 9's and I just wasnt impressed. But everyone prefers their own flavor.

Ive heard Jeff Rowland makes a good class D, however they are very spendy compared to other class D's.

definitely to each his own---and none of them held a candle to my old BAT 75SE

I've owned the 201s in the past as well---i much prefer the Ref 9s. Found the 201s really stale honestly. I've heard Channel Islands is great as well but have only heard them in show conditions.

my friend has the Kharma digital amp and he has raved about it for quite some time.
KeithR is offline  
post #289 of 23204 Old 01-19-2007, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
AudioArchitect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithR View Post

definitely to each his own---and none of them held a candle to my old BAT 75SE

I've owned the 201s in the past as well---i much prefer the Ref 9s. Found the 201s really stale honestly. I've heard Channel Islands is great as well but have only heard them in show conditions.

my friend has the Kharma digital amp and he has raved about it for quite some time.

Im not a big tube believer, but I LOVE BAT gear. In fact its the only tube gear I would use. I purchased the VK-300x a while back and I loved every minute of it!

I would give the Halcro stuff an audition. The MC20 sounded pretty incredible with our 5.4's and Thiel 2.4's.
AudioArchitect is offline  
post #290 of 23204 Old 01-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Newbie
 
madmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the comments on the 1.4's, AA. They're on the top of my list.
madmoose is offline  
post #291 of 23204 Old 01-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Senior Member
 
simpleHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have not seen much discussion on the Focal line. Anyone has heard it, especially the Focal 140?
simpleHT is offline  
post #292 of 23204 Old 01-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
dynfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Salem WI
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleHT View Post

I have not seen much discussion on the Focal line. Anyone has heard it, especially the Focal 140?

Lots of people like the focal's.... But last I read this is the DYNAUDIO owners thread

Let me redirect you to the proper thread.....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=709291

Wes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dynfan is offline  
post #293 of 23204 Old 01-21-2007, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
AudioArchitect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleHT View Post

I have not seen much discussion on the Focal line. Anyone has heard it, especially the Focal 140?

I think you are referring to the Focus 140 bookshelf, which is a Dynaudio speaker.
AudioArchitect is offline  
post #294 of 23204 Old 01-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
dynfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Salem WI
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

I think you are referring to the Focus 140 bookshelf, which is a Dynaudio speaker.

In case it wasn't a type I covered it....

But I think your right on what he was referring too.

Wes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dynfan is offline  
post #295 of 23204 Old 01-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Senior Member
 
simpleHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

I think you are referring to the Focus 140 bookshelf, which is a Dynaudio speaker.

Sorry. Focus that's what I meant.
simpleHT is offline  
post #296 of 23204 Old 01-21-2007, 07:18 PM
Member
 
FernandoF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleHT View Post

I have not seen much discussion on the Focus line. Anyone has heard it, especially the Focus 140?

If you haven't seen it, this is the Stereophile review of the Focus 140 : http://www.stereophile.com/standloud...dio/index.html
FernandoF is offline  
post #297 of 23204 Old 01-21-2007, 09:12 PM
Senior Member
 
simpleHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks. For some reasons, I did not see that review via google.
simpleHT is offline  
post #298 of 23204 Old 01-22-2007, 09:49 PM
Member
 
avast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am glad that I bump into this thread as I am also a happy Dynaudio owner -- Special 25's and Contour Center.

Might got bitten by the "upgrade bug", I am contemplating between Temptation and C4s. Never had chance to listen to either. I am wondering does Temptation worth THAT much more than C4s?

I see a list on a'gon of Temptation for 20k (ouch!), is that a fair price for a used pair?



ast
avast is offline  
post #299 of 23204 Old 01-22-2007, 10:02 PM
 
ChrisWiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 20,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Confidence series is incredible. I'd say the difference between that and the evidence series is not the most significant. That's something that would require listening...
ChrisWiggles is offline  
post #300 of 23204 Old 01-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Newbie
 
patjoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have contour 3.4 now and is very pleased. I´m thinking of going up to Contour 5.4, which seems to be a big step up (Esotar tweeter and separate midrange woofer).

But hows C2 compared to 5.4? My notion is that 3.4 to 5.4 significant step, 5.4 to C2 not too big of a step.

My GF would not be happy with C2 though..its a huge speaker, and a healthy bit wider than 5.4 too. Quite imposing, compared to 5.4 which is just taller than 3.4, but not wider.
patjoh is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off