Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1051 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2551Likes

post #31501 of 31528 Old 08-21-2016, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks everyone. A lot of food for thought here. Like I said, the room is tiny- 7.5 ft wide and 14 feet long. I should be moving within 2 years, but I doubt a new place would be much bigger- maybe 12 x 15 at the largest, unless I get lucky. No, Petetherock, American homes are not always big.

I should take my time and try out JL subs- how much electricity do you think they might use at a lower volume? And I should try out the dynaudio subs if I can- although there are not many around. I don't mind if a sub has less output- that might be a benefit. I'm more concerned about accuracy and resolution. I would be happy with a low reaching woofer in a box by itself- but they don't make those.

So, I should also think about a bigger speaker. Sheesh, I'd loose some money there. It's not easy to sell higher end speakers here now- the economy is horrible. Conversely, for some reason, it's very hard to find used speakers as well.

Well, at any rate, the speakers I have are wonderful. Folk, vocalists and bluegrass sound just beautiful. I can live without NIN and Grunge for a while till I find a solution. I will probably take my time & buy used. I would LOVE to try the larger Focus, but I don't think they'd be practical until I move. OTOH, a JL sub would be wonderful when I move too. Decisions decisions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31502 of 31528 Old 08-21-2016, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 86
So, I just got home with the Evidence Center, OMG that was a bigger PITA to unbox and setup than the C4's were!!!

But enough of that for now, I want to write about the Evidence Temptation setup...

First of all the equipment list.

Aurender N-10
Pass XP-30 preamp
Berkeley Alpha Reference DAC
Classe CA-M600 mono amps
REL Studio III
Nordost Valhalla interconnects and speaker cables
and of course the Evidence Temptations

He has always listened to the Temptations along with the REL Studio III so we started out like that. After a few tracks I requested to have him turn off the sub so I could see how the Temptations were by themselves. We played a couple tracks over and the only thing missing was a little of the lowest end, other than that they were quite impressive. His room was about the same width as mine, but a few feet deeper and the towers were about the same distance apart and similar toe as my C4's however his couch was probably a meter closer to the towers than mine. The imaging and soundstage were quite amazing, the Esotar 1 tweeters seem more neutral and silky compared to the Esotar 2's. I imagined with 4 woofers in each tower that they were going to be bass heavy but they were amazingly balanced, there was plenty of low end but it wasn't overpowering or even in your face, it was just there. Coming away from it and even though they are definitely a step up from the C4's it didn't seem like as much of a step up from the C4's as they were from the 340's. This makes me happy because now I won't be looking to upgrade any time soon, unless I find a great deal on some Evidence Masters of course!
ri3eboi likes this.
post #31503 of 31528 Old 08-21-2016, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonson View Post
So, I just got home with the Evidence Center, OMG that was a bigger PITA to unbox and setup than the C4's were!!!

But enough of that for now, I want to write about the Evidence Temptation setup...

First of all the equipment list.

Aurender N-10
Pass XP-30 preamp
Berkeley Alpha Reference DAC
Classe CA-M600 mono amps
REL Studio III
Nordost Valhalla interconnects and speaker cables
and of course the Evidence Temptations

He has always listened to the Temptations along with the REL Studio III so we started out like that. After a few tracks I requested to have him turn off the sub so I could see how the Temptations were by themselves. We played a couple tracks over and the only thing missing was a little of the lowest end, other than that they were quite impressive. His room was about the same width as mine, but a few feet deeper and the towers were about the same distance apart and similar toe as my C4's however his couch was probably a meter closer to the towers than mine. The imaging and soundstage were quite amazing, the Esotar 1 tweeters seem more neutral and silky compared to the Esotar 2's. I imagined with 4 woofers in each tower that they were going to be bass heavy but they were amazingly balanced, there was plenty of low end but it wasn't overpowering or even in your face, it was just there. Coming away from it and even though they are definitely a step up from the C4's it didn't seem like as much of a step up from the C4's as they were from the 340's. This makes me happy because now I won't be looking to upgrade any time soon, unless I find a great deal on some Evidence Masters of course!
Very nice, congrats!!! Pictures please!!!!!
Spurrier Sucks likes this.
post #31504 of 31528 Old 08-21-2016, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland150 View Post
Actually I did want to make a joke also... but that guy made it first Of course we feel happy for you because you are able to move up the chain really fast. In a few months maybe you will settle with a pair of C2s ?
Thanks for the kind words! I don't think C2s etc. are for me because of their design. They look freak-like to me!

Hehe about making a joke!
You gotta be quicker next time then! :-)
post #31505 of 31528 Old 08-21-2016, 05:34 PM

callas etc.:

Do you think a Naim UnitiLite would have sufficient power for the 3.4s?
The demo UnitiLite is still available, it seems.

Hegel H160 sounds awesome, but it's expensive.
post #31506 of 31528 Old 08-21-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluvette View Post
Very nice, congrats!!! Pictures please!!!!!
I didn't take any pictures of his setup, but here's one of the center installed. The thing is HUGE! weighs as much as one of the C4's!

post #31507 of 31528 Old 08-21-2016, 05:49 PM

Now I need to get another JC1 for the center...
Bluvette likes this.
post #31508 of 31528 Old 08-21-2016, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Those blue lights might get distracting during movies. That speaker, OTOH, deserves all the attention it demands.

System includes KEF R500 floor standing, R200C center, R100 surrounds, SVS SB2000 subwoofer, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 turntable w/ Sumiko Pearl cartridge, Bluesound Vault, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer, MCS System cassette deck. The last 2 items are dust collectors but will work if asked.
post #31509 of 31528 Old 08-21-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Those blue lights might get distracting during movies. That speaker, OTOH, deserves all the attention it demands.

They aren't as bright as they seem in the picture, definitely not enough to distract you from the screen.
post #31510 of 31528 Old 08-22-2016, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by light12 View Post
I should take my time and try out JL subs- how much electricity do you think they might use at a lower volume?
The E subs use switching amps, so they are efficient. At low volume they will use very little electricity. The 1200W rating is "short term", meaning that power level is only available on peaks. It won't pull 1200W from the wall.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #31511 of 31528 Old 08-22-2016, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I went to my dealer on the weekend to do a comparison for another member (Ri3eboi) between a Naim pre/amp combo to the Belles pre/amp combo he is thinking about.I gave him a more in depth comparison via PM,but i actually thought the Belles combo was better,i can see why Borderdog uses their monoblocks,great stuff.The Naim combo was older,but Glen said it was roughly equivalent to an XS.Since i took some photos,i will share them with everyone,there is one of a bigger Belles amp that was not in use,we were using the little stack with the excite 34's.In the background you can see the BIG taksims i will home demo later this week.Also you can see the Naim pairing he used on top of the Simaudio amp in the background.I actually came home with a pair of Neat sx 1's for a few day demo,until i pick up the taksims later this week.The Neat's sound really good with a surprising amount of bass,they are bottom ported,and they use Naim gear to voice/demo their speakers,quite impressive,it is nice to get a taste of what else is out there to compare to all the Dyn's i have owned,i took a few pics of the Neat's too,they are pretty small in stature,but have a big full range sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0919.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	1616513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0920.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	1616521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0921.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	1616529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0922.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	1616537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0923.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	1616545  

Name:	IMG_0924.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	1616553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0925.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	1616561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0926.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	1616569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0927.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	1616577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0928.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	1616585  

Garman, ri3eboi, Bluvette and 3 others like this.

5.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr, teac pd-501 DSd player,Excite 12's
post #31512 of 31528 Old 08-22-2016, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
I went to my dealer on the weekend to do a comparison for another member (Ri3eboi) between a Naim pre/amp combo to the Belles pre/amp combo he is thinking about.I gave him a more in depth comparison via PM,but i actually thought the Belles combo was better,i can see why Borderdog uses their monoblocks,great stuff.The Naim combo was older,but Glen said it was roughly equivalent to an XS.Since i took some photos,i will share them with everyone,there is one of a bigger Belles amp that was not in use,we were using the little stack with the excite 34's.In the background you can see the BIG taksims i will home demo later this week.Also you can see the Naim pairing he used on top of the Simaudio amp in the background.I actually came home with a pair of Neat sx 1's for a few day demo,until i pick up the taksims later this week.The Neat's sound really good with a surprising amount of bass,they are bottom ported,and they use Naim gear to voice/demo their speakers,quite impressive,it is nice to get a taste of what else is out there to compare to all the Dyn's i have owned,i took a few pics of the Neat's too,they are pretty small in stature,but have a big full range sound.
Those are not white!

How do you like those compared to the Dyns? On par with Excite, Focus...?
post #31513 of 31528 Old 08-22-2016, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by light12 View Post
Thanks everyone. A lot of food for thought here. Like I said, the room is tiny- 7.5 ft wide and 14 feet long. I should be moving within 2 years, but I doubt a new place would be much bigger- maybe 12 x 15 at the largest, unless I get lucky. No, Petetherock, American homes are not always big.

I should take my time and try out JL subs- how much electricity do you think they might use at a lower volume? And I should try out the dynaudio subs if I can- although there are not many around. I don't mind if a sub has less output- that might be a benefit. I'm more concerned about accuracy and resolution. I would be happy with a low reaching woofer in a box by itself- but they don't make those.

So, I should also think about a bigger speaker. Sheesh, I'd loose some money there. It's not easy to sell higher end speakers here now- the economy is horrible. Conversely, for some reason, it's very hard to find used speakers as well.

Well, at any rate, the speakers I have are wonderful. Folk, vocalists and bluegrass sound just beautiful. I can live without NIN and Grunge for a while till I find a solution. I will probably take my time & buy used. I would LOVE to try the larger Focus, but I don't think they'd be practical until I move. OTOH, a JL sub would be wonderful when I move too. Decisions decisions!
I have 2 jl f112's in my home-theater,but have also tried one in my smaller 2 channel room with my excite 12's as mains,worked really well,highly recommend that you try a jl 110 for that size room,that's what i would do.

5.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
post #31514 of 31528 Old 08-22-2016, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
Those are not white!

How do you like those compared to the Dyns? On par with Excite, Focus...?
At first i was a bit overwhelmed with the amount of bass,but got used to it quicklyand i thought they were not as good as my excite 12's,but after playing with their placement and toe-in a bit they really outshine the excite's,more of a full range sound,like you get from a focus 260,i would say it would be a flip of a coin between these and the focus 160's,but i have only had them here for 2 days.

post #31515 of 31528 Old 08-22-2016, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbjdk View Post
Thanks for the kind words! I don't think C2s etc. are for me because of their design. They look freak-like to me!

Hehe about making a joke!
You gotta be quicker next time then! :-)
That would mean the 3.4 look like a half freak then! LOL I like the look of the older Contours and currently Confidence Speakers, more of a Scandinavian look! People bitch about them and I laugh as they are just comparing them to just another box design that looks like everything else. Sorry the box look is as boring as they come, but their are sure some nice sounding box looking speakers! Another reason I like the Raidho/Scansonic lines, less boxy looking..
Bluvette likes this.

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Musical Fidelity,KEF, etc...... Maybe New Contour's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Standse
post #31516 of 31528 Old 08-22-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
less boxy looking..
New Contours generally fit that bill if you take the baffle and curved edges into account. It'll be interesting to see how they're received when they finally come out.

post #31517 of 31528 Old 08-22-2016, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
New Contours generally fit that bill if you take the baffle and curved edges into account. It'll be interesting to see how they're received when they finally come out.
Well you can say the same thing if your remove the baffle from the Confidence.. Regardless a different looking design that I like....

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Musical Fidelity,KEF, etc...... Maybe New Contour's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Standse
post #31518 of 31528 Old 08-22-2016, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well you can say the same thing if your remove the baffle from the Confidence.. Regardless a different looking design that I like....
Oh, I meant to say that they're different from the standard box shape.

post #31519 of 31528 Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks for everyone's help, especially NQ! I finalized my purchase with the Hegel H300 on audiogon. https://www.audiogon.com/listings/so...w_listing=true

I figured I want to enjoy the music for the next 10 years without having any upgrade itch

Now I eagerly await the new gears.
post #31520 of 31528 Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

ri3eboi: Congrats on the Hegel you will love it, I just have the H100, but it's use more as a backup but it runs my C2 and Maggies with zero issues.. So far I am loving it with the combo Hegel HD12 Dac not on the rack yet! Just putting things back together as Aaron (Border Dog) just built me a new Stand as the last one was a prototype this one even matches my C2 Platinums in Moca even better!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7694.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1619809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7695.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1619817  

Kanso Audio Standse
post #31521 of 31528 Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
Oh, I meant to say that they're different from the standard box shape.
Ha... I use the term "different" when a lady asks me how she looks and I don't want to tell her that she looks worse than a Yeti... heh

I like the looks of my C1P and Centre... YMMV
amatuerholic likes this.
post #31522 of 31528 Old Today, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Just putting things back together as Aaron (Border Dog) just built me a new Stand as the last one was a prototype this one even matches my C2 Platinums in Moca even better!
That is one beautiful rack you got there
What a nice job he's done - should look great with Mocca C2P's.
post #31523 of 31528 Old Today, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
Ha... I use the term "different" when a lady asks me how she looks and I don't want to tell her that she looks worse than a Yeti... heh

I like the looks of my C1P and Centre... YMMV
Well this is all sorts of bad, haha.

I was agreeing with Garnet that the Dyn C1s aren't the typical box shape, and that the new Contours follow the same trend. Different was completely neutral in my use! :P
post #31524 of 31528 Old Today, 07:38 AM

I'm keeping my Focus 160 as the 3.4's are way too big visually for my room.
60 cm. out from the back wall they worked fine musically and they do sound glorious.
But my living room is pretty small to begin with, so the two things mentioned above combined means I feel I'm choking in the room with speakers that big and that far out from the wall.
What's more I have had Naim Nac 202/Nap 200 home for testing, but they're going back too.
I prefer the sound of the Hegel H160 by a large margin.
The Naim set do not sound very good with my 160's.
Sound is bright, bass is anemic and sound is kind of muddied - at least in comparison with the Hegel.
So...final setup will be Focus 160 and Hegel H160.

Dealer wanted me to test Contour 1.4LE but I politely refused.
Focus 160/Hegel H160 sounds wonderful to me, so really, no need for testing 1.4LE.

I'm sorry for involving you guys in this buying process and the decisions I have taken along the way up to now.
It's probably been rather chaotic to read about with decisions being altered all the time.
Matro5 and amatuerholic like this.
post #31525 of 31528 Old Today, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
60 cm. out from the back wall they worked fine musically and they do sound glorious.
But my living room is pretty small to begin with, so the two things mentioned above combined means I feel I'm choking in the room with speakers that big and that far out from the wall.
What's more I have had Naim Nac 202/Nap 200 home for testing, but they're going back too.
Sound is bright, bass is anemic and sound is kind of muddied - at least in comparison with the Hegel.

Focus 160/Hegel H160 sounds wonderful to me, so really, no need for testing 1.4LE.

I'm sorry for involving you guys in this buying process and the decisions I have taken along the way up to now.
It's probably been rather chaotic to read about with decisions being altered all the time.
Hey, it's a journey, not a destination. I think we're all in a similar boat when making larger financial decisions for purely entertainment reasons. My wife has pointed out though, that I get a little less patient if I haven't listened to music for a while!

post #31526 of 31528 Old Today, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I thought those contours looked too big for your room,and i have said before,the focus 160 is MY reference moniter,until i hear something better.I am glad you are happy with your decision,in defence of Naim gear,i have not heard the 202/200 combo,but have read that it is dryer than a desert,not their best offering for sure.Also Naim gear needs to be powered up for a few weeks to sound its best.
Matro5 likes this.

post #31527 of 31528 Old Today, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:

It's all about enjoying the music and sometimes it takes trying different gear to get it right. Looks like you've got it right now. Congrats! Now the fun starts.

Although it would be nice if you could demo the 1.4LE and compare to the 160. Since he's offering.
yonson likes this.
post #31528 of 31528 Old Today, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
hbjdk said:

"So...final setup will be Focus 160 and Hegel H160.

Focus 160/Hegel H160 sounds wonderful to me, so really, no need for testing 1.4LE"

I'm actually kind of happy you came to this decision, and not just because I, too, love my Focus 160 but because I think you made an excellent decision to buy them in the first place, and then a seemingly rushed decision to replace them with the Contours.

The 160 should be a speaker you can live happily with for a *long* time, and you've paired it with an excellent amp in the Hegel. Now put your wallet away, my friend, and enjoy!

Also, I don't mean to rock the boat, and I know these things tend to work in cycles, but man it's also nice to see something besides NAIM get some love in this thread.

Last edited by Matro5; Today at 04:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page