Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1052 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2572Likes

post #31531 of 31544 Old Today, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I hope i don't offend anyone by talking about "other" speakers on the Dyn thread,but i was a little sad to see the Neat sx1's go back,after a brief 5 day demo...very musical speaker,and a great match with my gear.I could easily live with those long term...but the next contender to win me over is in the house,Canadian made Taksim reference 3a's,i said they are BIG ,but wow,have not unboxed them yet,here is a pic of them sitting on my granite slabs,where the Neats sat for a few days,still waiting on a release date on the Contour c 20's....meantime,the demo's continue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0926.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	1622489   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0929.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	1622497   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0930.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	1622505  
Bluvette, BigAl87 and yonson like this.

5.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr, teac pd-501 DSd player,Excite 12's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31532 of 31544 Old Today, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
I hope i don't offend anyone by talking about "other" speakers on the Dyn thread,but i was a little sad to see the Neat sx1's go back,after a brief 5 day demo...very musical speaker,and a great match with my gear.I could easily live with those long term...but the next contender to win me over is in the house,Canadian made Taksim reference 3a's,i said they are BIG ,but wow,have not unboxed them yet,here is a pic of them sitting on my granite slabs,where the Neats sat for a few days,still waiting on a release date on the Contour c 20's....meantime,the demo's continue.
This isn't a "safe space", so you should feel free to post what you like!
OctaDyn_Dude and yonson like this.

post #31533 of 31544 Old Today, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Did the sx1 really dig down below 30hz as the specs say?
post #31534 of 31544 Old Today, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
I think you are more insane then I am

i dare you to get some Totem Elements too
no quarter likes this.

Sudgen A21se IA, Arcam AVR400, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 (I can't wait for October). BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

Office setup, Wadia 151 Power DAC mini, Dynaudio X-18 Satin Black lacquer. .
post #31535 of 31544 Old Today, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbjdk View Post
I'm keeping my Focus 160 as the 3.4's are way too big visually for my room.
60 cm. out from the back wall they worked fine musically and they do sound glorious.
But my living room is pretty small to begin with, so the two things mentioned above combined means I feel I'm choking in the room with speakers that big and that far out from the wall.
What's more I have had Naim Nac 202/Nap 200 home for testing, but they're going back too.
I prefer the sound of the Hegel H160 by a large margin.
The Naim set do not sound very good with my 160's.
Sound is bright, bass is anemic and sound is kind of muddied - at least in comparison with the Hegel.
So...final setup will be Focus 160 and Hegel H160.

Dealer wanted me to test Contour 1.4LE but I politely refused.
Focus 160/Hegel H160 sounds wonderful to me, so really, no need for testing 1.4LE.

I'm sorry for involving you guys in this buying process and the decisions I have taken along the way up to now.
It's probably been rather chaotic to read about with decisions being altered all the time.
Naim isnt for everyone, Dyns are for everyone either! I'm glad you found a combination that works for you.

My experience with the focus line and my Naim gear was that I found the 160s brighter then both the X16s and the 260s. I had the X16s with the Nait 5i, when I upgraded to the 160s I felt musically I went backwards and I was bottoming out the speakers. Then I brought home the 260s to demo and loved the combo. Wife wouldnt let me do the switch tho. So I added the Naim XS, which was better with the 160s but I felt I was still missing some warmth I had previously, so I added the Jolida tube dac, which added some warmth and fluidity. Then I switched the 160s and 260s, loved that combo I had now, XS and 260s, sold the Jolida and just used the Oppo for cd playback. When I switched the XS out for the U2, I was scared to alter the sound; but I feel like the overall sound is neutral and musical, and the convenience of the U2 makes it hard to give up.

There's nothing out there that does what it does. Simaudio has the Ace, but it lacks the power and CD player, Musical Fidelity has the Encore 225 but it doesn't support wifi(I'm sure this could be done with something like an AirPort Extreme) or tidal or Spotify that I can tell and there's no phone/tablet app or HT bypass which is a must for me. Linn has the streamer/pre and wifi and tidal/Spotify support and the app, but no HT bypass and its only a pre-amp not an integrated; so add the amp expense also.

The only NAC/NAP setup I've heard is the 272/250 combo with Focal Sopra 2 and it's pretty nice.
no quarter likes this.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
post #31536 of 31544 Old Today, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

I find it strange that Reference 3A does not provide any tolerance (+/-dB) on their FR specs, especially for a speaker (Taksim) that lists for $6990/pair. An interesting design, however, that uses a single coupling capacitor to protect the tweeter from low frequencies and a woofer with no crossover network.
post #31537 of 31544 Old Today, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
Did the sx1 really dig down below 30hz as the specs say?
I did not take any measurements ,but I think they dig deeper than c1's and focus 160's..30 hz range would not surprise me, pretty remarkable for a small tower really.

5.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
post #31538 of 31544 Old Today, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbowm View Post
I find it strange that Reference 3A does not provide any tolerance (+/-dB) on their FR specs, especially for a speaker (Taksim) that lists for $6990/pair. An interesting design, however, that uses a single coupling capacitor to protect the tweeter from low frequencies and a woofer with no crossover network.
I do not know a lot about the Taksims, other than what I have read, and what my dealer, who has been in the industry for 35 years tells me about them.I have heard them at low volumes. He has lived with C1 platinum's for 2 years, and focal sopra 1's for the last year...and said that these would be the speakers he has in his home, if his wife would let him get them past the front door, I guess she hates their "look" so i want to try them, when it comes to audio, my ears are the deciding factor, not eyes...to a point.I hope to unbox them tomorrow,i will post my initial impressions.
OctaDyn_Dude and yonson like this.

post #31539 of 31544 Old Today, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
I do not know a lot about the Taksims, other than what I have read, and what my dealer, who has been in the industry for 35 years tells me about them.I have heard them at low volumes. He has lived with C1 platinum's for 2 years, and focal sopra 1's for the last year...and said that these would be the speakers he has in his home, if his wife would let him get them past the front door, I guess she hates their "look" so i want to try them, when it comes to audio, my ears are the deciding factor, not eyes...to a point.I hope to unbox them tomorrow,i will post my initial impressions.
Tony I agree - let your ears not eyes be the judge. Like I've said before I hated the looks of the Confidence series but they sure do sound damn good. IMO the Confidence is a style you either love ore hate - but to me it was the sound quality. After all I owned the C1 and C1 Sig's for over 5 years combined.

Never be afraid to speak your mind regarding other speaker manufacturers. Like Steve said Dyn's aren't for everyone just like Magico or Raidho. It's your ears and wallet. But I think most everyone (even me) will agree Dyn's are world class from the Emit on up to the Evidence.
BigAl87, no quarter and yonson like this.
post #31540 of 31544 Old Today, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbowm View Post

Less x-over parts means a more resolving speaker or should I just say no filtering. Vince Bruzzese from Totem would say it's designer's dream. I own Element Fires from Totem and they don't have x-over pats in the woofer section and they sound fabulous.
That little white speaker features a one way 3.5"driver designed in Italy but the actual speaker is from a Canadian manufacturer and does not have any x-over parts in it, They are quite impressive and they go as deep as 50hz, it was filling that room very nicely.

Now Dynaudio has mastered the art of x-over so it's like having no x-over parts almost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2402resize.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	1623825  

Sudgen A21se IA, Arcam AVR400, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 (I can't wait for October). BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

Office setup, Wadia 151 Power DAC mini, Dynaudio X-18 Satin Black lacquer. .

Last edited by BigAl87; Today at 07:14 PM.
post #31541 of 31544 Old Today, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Tony I agree - let your ears not eyes be the judge. Like I've said before I hated the looks of the Confidence series but they sure do sound damn good. IMO the Confidence is a style you either love ore hate - but to me it was the sound quality. After all I owned the C1 and C1 Sig's for over 5 years combined.

Never be afraid to speak your mind regarding other speaker manufacturers. Like Steve said Dyn's aren't for everyone just like Magico or Raidho. It's your ears and wallet. But I think most everyone (even me) will agree Dyn's are world class from the Emit on up to the Evidence.
I was't a fan of the looks of the C1 that much looked half finished to me but sounded awesome, however I think the C2 and C4 are sexy as hell looking, and go away from you typical average everyday box look which I find easy to do and boring. Now the Raidho/Scansonic are sexy but they stoled that look from other manufactures but made it even better. I think a XT-1 and Contour 20 would be a good test at Tylers new place!

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Musical Fidelity,KEF, etc...... Maybe New Contour's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Standse

Last edited by Garman; Today at 08:04 PM.
post #31542 of 31544 Old Today, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
I was't a fan of the looks of the C1 that much looked half finished to me but sounded awesome, however I think the C2 and C4 are sexy as hell looking, and go away from you typical average everyday box look which I find easy to do and boring. Now the Raidho/Scansonic are sexy but they stoled that look from other manufactures but made it even better. I think a XT-1 and Contour 20 would be a good test at Tylers new place!
Tyler has all the new Contours on order. Should be a good seller at its price points.
yonson likes this.
post #31543 of 31544 Old Today, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
Less x-over parts means a more resolving speaker or should I just say no filtering. Vince Bruzzese from Totem would say it's designer's dream. I own Element Fires from Totem and they don't have x-over pats in the woofer section and they sound fabulous.
That little white speaker features a one way 3.5"driver designed in Italy but the actual speaker is from a Canadian manufacturer and does not have any x-over parts in it, They are quite impressive and they go as deep as 50hz, it was filling that room very nicely.

Now Dynaudio has mastered the art of x-over so it's like having no x-over parts almost.
I am looking forward to setting up the Taskim's tomorrow (I am at work right now) because I kind of have a new found love of jazz and classical music ,and they are supposed to be super transparent, and work well with these type's of music,i have also heard one of those single driver speakers, sounded very natural...using a small tube amp.

post #31544 of 31544 Old Today, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I may have to take a trip down to listen to them. I'm still contemplating replacing the 260's with C20's for surround duty...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore