Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1054 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2610Likes

post #31591 of 31598 Old Today, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
I totally get that! I'm always just kinda looking for what I could put in the kids living room as an amazing bang for $ speaker to do a small build. Wharfedale, Totem usually are at the top of my list because they have cheaper offerings, and I want something similar but different then my Focus 260s. Looking for warm, musical, like my bedroom Dali speakers, but again different; I tried a pair of paradigms but sold them, I wasn't a fan after a few weeks. Just haven't been able to really hear a Wharfedale speakers so since I've heard the excites a comparison would be nice so I can gauge them.

I think a 210 or 220 review vs the X14s would be my real desire. Since that would more likely be my price range for speakers in that room anyways.

Thank you!
Wharfedale's sound signature falls somewhere in between Paradigm and Dali IMO, which is to say that it's close to neutral. It won't be quite as smooth as the Dyns, but it should be surprisingly revealing for the money. At USD$699 , there's not many other options as handsomely finished as the Diamond series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31592 of 31598 Old Today, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
D5.1's!!
Great idea!!

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
post #31593 of 31598 Old Today, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Quote:
I totally get that! I'm always just kinda looking for what I could put in the kids living room!
D5.1's!!
Spoil the kids!
post #31594 of 31598 Old Today, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeOberholt View Post
Yes, you're absolutely right. My brain was fried when I stated that they were the 250s.

As for a brief side by side impression of the two, it's not a fair comparison.

The Wharfedales are a standout at the sub-$1000 price point for their excellent fit, finish, attention to detail, and revealing sound. In all honesty, I like them better than the famed ELAC F5s, which is saying something!

The X38s are on another level altogether (as they should be for 5x the price). The overall cohesiveness of the sound, the tautness and authority of the bottom end, the sweet yet never overcooked midrange, the wonderful sense of space they create, it's all just a giant leap over an entry level speaker like the Wharfedale.
I totally get that! I'm always just kinda looking for what I could put in the kids living room as an amazing bang for $ speaker to do a small build. Wharfedale, Totem usually are at the top of my list because they have cheaper offerings, and I want something similar but different then my Focus 260s. Looking for warm, musical, like my bedroom Dali speakers, but again different; I tried a pair of paradigms but sold them, I wasn't a fan after a few weeks. Just haven't been able to really hear a Wharfedale speakers so since I've heard the excites a comparison would be nice so I can gauge them.

I think a 210 or 220 review vs the X14s would be my real desire. Since that would more likely be my price range for speakers in that room anyways.

Thank you!
Get a pair of used XEO 3 or 5 and call it a day. Add an AAM and bluray player and your done.
post #31595 of 31598 Old Today, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto J View Post
Just to clarify, the equipment we use, whether at the factory or at shows, isn't an endorsement that these brands are "the best", or even the best match. We are showing various products as examples of equipment that could be used, and although we would not use equipment that we expect to deliver poor results, often the choice has to do with who we have various arrangements with. And we are not going to use the same equipment forever. Fortunately there are plenty of good electronics outthere to choose from.

Note that the equipment we use for demoing is not necessarily reflective of what we use for tuning. In the tuning phase we listen on various electronics, but we don't design the speakers to work optimally with a specific brand or type of amplifier. We design the speakers to be simple loads for the amplifier, which means that we will make the most of the amp, even with amps that could struggle with difficult loads.
Y'all must still have some arbiter electronics around!?
post #31596 of 31598 Old Today, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

Thank you!
The 210 don't have enough extension to use on their own unless you would use them with a sub. The 220 have slightly more but not near the level of the x-14, the Mites actually go lower but are certainly more expensive if purchased new. The Mites are also a bit colored but nonetheless very musical but if you could find a used pair of Rainmakers in white I think you should consider them.

Sudgen A21se IA, Arcam AVR400, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 (I can't wait for October). BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

Office setup, Wadia 151 Power DAC mini, Dynaudio X-18 Satin Black lacquer. .
post #31597 of 31598 Old Today, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I gave it a listen today, I think I know what dead silence is now But I do not think I heard anything new out of my Onix Ref 1s on the H300...

The seller suggested I take the amp to an authorized Hegel repair shop to have it examined and repaired if needed and he will reimburse the cost. I might take up on that offer, however the closest Hegel dealer is 1 hour away without the horrendous LA traffic .

Here are more photos of the amp: http://imgur.com/a/GfoK8
post #31598 of 31598 Old Today, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Might be worth it if he pays for the repairs, since you could end up with what's basically a factory refurb with him covering the cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore