Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1056 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2635Likes

post #31651 of 31664 Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
People are raving about the Taksims. I'm curious to hear them to see if they have improved on the frequency response of their two-ways. I auditioned the De Capos a couple times and thought they had a forward & shouty midrange balance and rough treble. They seemed to need a soft, ripe sounding tube amp to compensate. The Grand Veenas were fuller and more neutral.

I have a love-hate relationship with crossover-less designs, especially two-ways with a directly connected mid-woofer. I owned Wilson Benesch Vertex speakers for a couple years, they have a directly connected mid-woofer that goes all the way up to 5 KHz, with just a cap on the tweeter. They make them as flat as they can by mechanical & acoustical design, but there's no getting around the lack of baffle step compensation that's normally built into the crossover of speakers like this. There were aspects I loved about the sound, especially at first, but after the initial wow factor wore off their flawed frequency response became less live-able.

Over the years I've auditioned the W-B Arc, Ref 3A De Capo, the Element Fire, and some single driver speakers at shows. I think there might be a common signature of crossover-less/minimal crossover speakers: immediacy, better than average dynamics for their size, fast transient response, usually better than average transparency and soundstaging as well. But I think they all sacrifice neutrality.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31652 of 31664 Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertheeren View Post
I don't really like the sound of the Ikon 6 if I am honest, in comparison with the 2/6 they are a bit boring (it's thight but no punch or warmth), and not as clear as Dynaudio. But tomorrow I get my Focus set, I will post how they sound
Well in comparisons they might be a tad brighter than the Focus, they are more on the lines of the DM line, your Focus will be a much better speaker if you ask me... Now I am hugely curious to hear the new Emit line considering they are a blend of the DM/Excite and Focus lines and have gotten fantastic reviews from everyone that has reviewed them..... Ironically I had a pair of Dali Ikon 1 MKII and Ikon 2 along with a pair of Focus 160, and their wasn't any comparisons, the Focus out shined them in many ways.

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Musical Fidelity,KEF, etc...... Maybe New Contour's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Standse
post #31653 of 31664 Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
People are raving about the Taksims. I'm curious to hear them to see if they have improved on the frequency response of their two-ways. I auditioned the De Capos a couple times and thought they had a forward & shouty midrange balance and rough treble. They seemed to need a soft, ripe sounding tube amp to compensate. The Grand Veenas were fuller and more neutral.

I have a love-hate relationship with crossover-less designs, especially two-ways with a directly connected mid-woofer. I owned Wilson Benesch Vertex speakers for a couple years, they have a directly connected mid-woofer that goes all the way up to 5 KHz, with just a cap on the tweeter. They make them as flat as they can by mechanical & acoustical design, but there's no getting around the lack of baffle step compensation that's normally built into the crossover of speakers like this. There were aspects I loved about the sound, especially at first, but after the initial wow factor wore off their flawed frequency response became less live-able.

Over the years I've auditioned the W-B Arc, Ref 3A De Capo, the Element Fire, and some single driver speakers at shows. I think there might be a common signature of crossover-less/minimal crossover speakers: immediacy, better than average dynamics for their size, fast transient response, usually better than average transparency and soundstaging as well. But I think they all sacrifice neutrality.
I have about a week and a half left on my demo, i have been listening to them every day, right now I am leaning towards keeping them, it is such a good price...my mind may change after that time, but I doubt it. Lucky for me, i have the xd 600's in my home theater still, if I feel like swapping them, i already know that they work good in the 2 channel room. I would love to hear the reference 3a reflector(moniter) personally.
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...WnvL8e31DinS3A

5.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's, neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr, teac pd-501 DSd player,Excite 12's

Last edited by no quarter; Yesterday at 03:04 PM.
post #31654 of 31664 Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone know a dealer who is selling Focus 340's in either rosewood or walnut finish, please pm me. Thanks!
post #31655 of 31664 Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog8 View Post
Previous Dynaudio owner here, thinking about coming back to the fold after a decade or so. I loved my previous Contour stereo setup. Also, the Danish style has a nice WAF I can't get elsewhere.

I have a mid-sized basement home theater and I've been considering an upgrade. The new Contour series caught my eye for a 5.1 setup. Am I correct in thinking they will be available in October?

I was considering Dolby Atmos for my upgrade as well but it doesn't look like Dynaudio is doing anything there, right?

Thanks for any advice.
I am using confidence speakers with Anthony Gallo ceiling speakers. Works well, cheers
post #31656 of 31664 Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpup View Post
Does anyone know a dealer who is selling Focus 340's in either rosewood or walnut finish, please pm me. Thanks!
Does it have to be a dealer? Now that I have C4's my 340's (Rosewood) are just sitting... I also have a 210C...
Garman likes this.
post #31657 of 31664 Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonson View Post
Quote:
Does it have to be a dealer? Now that I have C4's my 340's (Rosewood) are just sitting... I also have a 210C...
What about the 260s?
post #31658 of 31664 Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonson View Post
It does not. But I just thought it would be safer / easier to buy from a dealer. I tried to pm you but I cannot because I am a new member. I just need 340's. How much do you want for the speakers? and what condition are they in?

Thanks.
post #31659 of 31664 Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
You can check sunny components in Covina CA

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
post #31660 of 31664 Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
There are currently a set of 369s on audiogon
post #31661 of 31664 Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
There are currently a set of 360s on audiogon
Wow, that's a good price too, I wouldn't sell my 340's that cheap...
post #31662 of 31664 Old Today, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
There are currently a set of 369s on audiogon
Thanks. I saw that add as well. I thought 360 was an older version so I did not really considered that at this point. For those who have listened both 360 and 340, are there any difference from sonic quality perspective? Thanks
post #31663 of 31664 Old Today, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Thanks. I saw that add as well. I thought 360 was an older version so I did not really considered that at this point. For those who have listened both 360 and 340, are there any difference from sonic quality perspective? Thanks
I've heard the 220 and 110A from the old line and the 160-380 in the newer line. The 220 v the 260 I can tell you the 220 was a little boomier, warmer and not as transparent. The 260s are more neutral, the topend sounds freer and the speakers seem easier to power where the 220s feel not as easily responsive to the power coming in, feeling like you had to turn the dial more to get better response.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
post #31664 of 31664 Old Today, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
I had the Focus 140 and 160 side-by-side. The 140s definitely had a more veiled sound, as if there was some sort of diffusion barrier between the speaker and me. The 160s brought highs across much more clearly, and had what seemed like tighter bass. I imagine the differences between the 220 and 260, and 360 and 380, follow similar trends.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore