Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1070 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2785Likes

post #32071 of 32099 Old Yesterday, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
You may be reading too much into a cracked grill. If it was damaged while on the speaker there would likely be marks or significant damage to the driver. Chances are better it got damaged while off the speaker. Perhaps the seller didn't mention a cracked grill in his eBay ad because he's replaced it.
It's certainly possible, but I don't appreciate it when I feel that something is hidden. It's like buying a used motorcycle where someone replaced the piston. I'd rather have "new piston" on the listing than nothing, even if it was preventative maintenance at a set interval without any problems existing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
@amatuerholic I agree it should be disclosed, my point was simply if the speakers themselves are in a perfectly cosmetic and useable condition at 30% off the. The extra $25-50 for grill no big deal. Especially if there's a reasonable reason for it (came that way, etc). I agree with Ken how'd it happen? Having the older non-magnetic grills I see why those cheap posts can break!
I agree, and I was always concerned when removing the grills from my Focus 140s.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32072 of 32099 Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
@amatuerholic I agree it should be disclosed, my point was simply if the speakers themselves are in a perfectly cosmetic and useable condition at 30% off the. The extra $25-50 for grill no big deal. Especially if there's a reasonable reason for it (came that way, etc). I agree with Ken how'd it happen? Having the older non-magnetic grills I see why those cheap posts can break!
I contacted the guy and asked him about his grills, this was his response! Zero affiliation with him, I was curious about the price drop etc.. So I just emailed him..

"The grills are perfect! Thanks"

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Musical Fidelity,KEF, etc...... Maybe New Contour's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Standse
post #32073 of 32099 Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
It's certainly possible, but I don't appreciate it when I feel that something is hidden. It's like buying a used motorcycle where someone replaced the piston. I'd rather have "new piston" on the listing than nothing, even if it was preventative maintenance at a set interval without any problems existing.

I agree, and I was always concerned when removing the grills from my Focus 140s.
i have one of the posts broken off inside one of my excite 12's,it was caused only by trying to remove the grill...maybe too aggressively,i don't know,but the speaker was never knocked over or anything like that.Yet i can't see cracking a grill by simply trying to remove it,might be something more there...i did ask Otto how to remove the little post from the speaker(where it remains) and he said he was going to ask the service department the best way to remove it....still waiting for the reply.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
post #32074 of 32099 Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
i have one of the posts broken off inside one of my excite 12's,it was caused only by trying to remove the grill...maybe too aggressively,i don't know,but the speaker was never knocked over or anything like that.Yet i can't see cracking a grill by simply trying to remove it,might be something more there...i did ask Otto how to remove the little post from the speaker(where it remains) and he said he was going to ask the service department the best way to remove it....still waiting for the reply.
Drill press!

post #32075 of 32099 Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I'm sure there isn't any special way to remove the post. Just use small tweezers or small prong pliers if you can get around it.

https://pmcsupplies.com/5-micro-mini...FQdZhgod-tQGLA

If you can't get around it, carefully drill a hole in the center of it and then pull it out.
post #32076 of 32099 Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Not to mention X-18 grills are magnetic and I owned them so there is no way to crack a grill by removing it from the X-18
amatuerholic and no quarter like this.

Sudgen A21se IA, Arcam AVR400, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 (I can't wait for October). BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

Office setup, Wadia 151 Power DAC mini, Dynaudio X-18 Satin Black lacquer. .
post #32077 of 32099 Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
Not to mention X-18 grills are magnetic and I owned them so there is no way to crack a grill by removing it from the X-18
Below is a link to the auction when he first listed them. You can see the cracks in the middle of the grille, on the right speaker, in the first picture. It looks broken on both sides. I'm sure he probably replaced it if he says the grilles are ok now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynaudio-Exc...p2047675.l2557
post #32078 of 32099 Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM

On another note; it looks like someone has it out for Dynaudio.

You might want to save these pictures.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynaudio-Pri...oAAOSw8gVX5aq3
post #32079 of 32099 Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 115
sombody else posted something similar a few months back. The markup seem to be a bit less on these ebay sheets. Why would somebody bother to post these on ebay? Maybe a dealer peed in their golden grahams.
Garman likes this.
post #32080 of 32099 Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM

NVM I see it is a high end dealer with a seemingly competitive offering

way to stay classy
post #32081 of 32099 Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 411
It's pretty common knowledge that dealer discount on most lines of speakers (indeed, a great many consumer goods) is 40% off list. That leaves room for high overhead of a retail shop with training and expertise in the product, or price battles among dealers selling on the internet. Or both. If a dealer isn't willing to discount off list price by some amount, they should be earning that money in some way by providing equivalent VALUE to the consumer.

System includes KEF R500 floor standing, R200C center, R100 surrounds, SVS SB2000 subwoofer, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 turntable w/ Sumiko Pearl cartridge, Bluesound Vault, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer, MCS System cassette deck. The last 2 items are dust collectors but will work if asked.
post #32082 of 32099 Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Coda used to be a Dynaudio dealer. Looks like they had some kind of falling out. Maybe they got cut off for violating the dealer agreement or something and are eating sour grapes. As far as pricing goes, it looks like Dynaudio are right in line with the industry average, so nothing to see here really.
Garman likes this.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #32083 of 32099 Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I totally forgot, haha.

post #32084 of 32099 Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
Coda used to be a Dynaudio dealer. Looks like they had some kind of falling out. Maybe they got cut off for violating the dealer agreement or something and are eating sour grapes. As far as pricing goes, it looks like Dynaudio are right in line with the industry average, so nothing to see here really.
You got that right, I wonder where Scansonic/Radhio would fall under this.... If I where Dynaudio I would ask eBay to take this down..... Pretty poor taste by dealer, but the pricing sheet looks to be spot on..

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Musical Fidelity,KEF, etc...... Maybe New Contour's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Standse
post #32085 of 32099 Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Yup, pretty much industry standard pricing, employee purchase pricing is decent, but not anywhere near the best I've seen... I remember one line we had one time a year we'd get 70% off dealer cost for employee purchases!
post #32086 of 32099 Old Today, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just had another short listening session with DM 2/6s and (still) they sound amazing good for their size and price. Though I have X34 now, those are so good and their sound is amazingly "fast", dynamic and energetic. Perfect choice for a sound system in the kitchen or bedroom...
post #32087 of 32099 Old Today, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
NVM I see it is a high end dealer with a seemingly competitive offering

way to stay classy
He posted on Agon a while back that he was going to be showing Raidho at RMAF this year (8-22-16).
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussio...o-15k-new-used

I asked which models and he replied via a pm on 9-1
Quote:
Hi,
We will most likely have Soulution as the electronics (even with Raidho for certain customers). We will be showing as of right now: 3.1, 1.1, KEF Blade 2's, Franco Serblin, Acoustic Zen Cables, Aavik Acoustics. We may also do something with Dynaudio but that is uncertain at this time.
Best,
Coda Audio Video
post #32088 of 32099 Old Today, 04:43 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
You got that right, I wonder where Scansonic/Radhio would fall under this.... If I where Dynaudio I would ask eBay to take this down..... Pretty poor taste by dealer, but the pricing sheet looks to be spot on..
I've read a few posts on various forums hinting that Raidho markup is higher than average, and correspondingly the discounts can be a bit bigger as well. Nordost had the same reputation when Lars was marketing them.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #32089 of 32099 Old Today, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Strange acient view in my opinion .Internet sales helps reach more customers,not everyone are living in big cities near HiFi shops
post #32090 of 32099 Old Today, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've read a few posts on various forums hinting that Raidho markup is higher than average, and correspondingly the discounts can be a bit bigger as well. Nordost had the same reputation when Lars was marketing them.
For one Raidho has no distributor in North America. Makes me wonder if the Dynaudio USA distributor is owned by Dynaudio in Denmark. Remember they also are the distributor for Octave. The Naim distributor in the US has changed a couple times.

Last edited by OctaDyn_Dude; Today at 06:12 AM.
post #32091 of 32099 Old Today, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
For one Raidho has no distributor in North America. Makes me wonder if the Dynaudio USA distributor is owned by Dynaudio in Denmark. Remember they also are the distributor for Octave. The Naim distributor in the US has changed a couple times.
I wonder where you got that info? There is a distributor in Canada and they come to the show in Montreal. The lady who has the distribution company also has store where she sells Raidho in the Toronto GTA.

http://www.audiopathways.com/types.php?type=speakers

Sudgen A21se IA, Arcam AVR400, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 (I can't wait for October). BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

Office setup, Wadia 151 Power DAC mini, Dynaudio X-18 Satin Black lacquer. .
post #32092 of 32099 Old Today, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wonder where you got that info? There is a distributor in Canada and they come to the show in Montreal. The lady who has the distribution company also has store where she sells Raidho in the Toronto GTA.

http://www.audiopathways.com/types.php?type=speakers
I stand corrected. They changed their website and also show a distributor in Mexico.I'll ask Tyler when he comes over later today if he knows why there is no distributor in the USA.
post #32093 of 32099 Old Today, 10:27 AM

Quote:
So let me get this straight. Just a week ago some of you were making an argument on how dealers work on small margins, while some others and I stated it's a 40% average, and now that a price sheet is posted the margins are spot on?

I think what is spot on.....is that dealers that won't move off MSRP will continually lose customers. That is what is spot on.

I proved it again last week with Hegel. I decided I was going to buy an H360. I called probably 30 dealers, talked with people I've dealt with before that aren't dealers, and then finally landed an incredible deal. The dealer that gave me that deal made some money and all the others sat around with nothing but their stubbornness in tact.
post #32094 of 32099 Old Today, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonson View Post
Yup, pretty much industry standard pricing, employee purchase pricing is decent, but not anywhere near the best I've seen... I remember one line we had one time a year we'd get 70% off dealer cost for employee purchases!
Sounds like JL Audio

FOUNDER - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective)
post #32095 of 32099 Old Today, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shample View Post
The dealer that gave me that deal made some money and all the others sat around with nothing but their stubbornness in tact.
They also sat around...with something else: their dealer agreement intact, lol.

Don't get me wrong; I'm with you on this issue. But I don't see the dealer, as the villain; I see the distributor!

Some dealers, would love to make better deals. Hey...in a free market; it's up to ME, if I want to make $100, or $1,000...or $5,000. To quote from the outstanding, Glengarry Glen Ross:

"Are you gonna give me $7,500?"

"75? I thought we were splitting five grand."

"I lied, all right? Your end is 25, my end is my own concern."

This horsesh*t, about keeping hi-end image up; is exactly that...horsesh*t! You like paying more from the guy...with a B&M, who lets you come in, spin music; bullsh*t around about kit. Comes to your house, and hauls heavy-a$$ speakers...so you don't have to. Gives you good value, when you're ready to trade-up...so you don't have to deal with the often-times, cesspool...that is the used, hi-end market? So be it. He's got costs, and you like his model; so you'll pay for that privilege.

But...if you know what you want, and you just want it shipped to your house and be left the f*ck alone with it. Why should a dealer, make $500, $1,000...$5,000; for a damn phone call?

I'm sure there's plenty of argument to be had here; this is just my take, on why this industry is "stuck". The Internet...as we have, if we weren't already aware of; brings transparency. This whole "we don't discount", "we don't sell on the Internet"; you might as well be saying...where can I fax you that receipt. It's outmoded.

But...here's the WORST thing: I happen to know for a fact...because I've known enough dealers, over my years; how hypocritical it all is. A lot of distributors, look the other way...if the volume is good enough. Don't ask any questions, as long as the money is rolling in; don't wanna know...how this guy, sells twice as many speakers, as the next guy.

IDK; it NEVER suited my style. Go into a snooty B&M, be treated like sh*t; pointed in a certain direction...and be looked at, like I just stepped off a space-ship because I expected more than a 5% discount...lol
MUDCAT45 and yonson like this.

post #32096 of 32099 Old Today, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey; before I go w i d e with it (AC, USAM, AG, et al); I'm doing an IC, on my...

Just PM me, if you're interested and serious enough; to want further details.

PERFECT, for driving those new Contours

post #32097 of 32099 Old Today, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Sounds like JL Audio
I did work for a JL dealer at one time, but that was over 20 years ago and I can't even remember what their employee purchase options were... :rofl:
post #32098 of 32099 Old Today, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did Dynaudio get around to posting spec sheets for the new Contour? I thought I read some reviews were out already.

Haven't had a huge amount of luck finding a local dealer in Seattle with a showroom either. They only have two dealers, one doesn't appear to carry Contour and the other operates out of a house.
post #32099 of 32099 Old Today, 05:47 PM

I don't think there was much of a debate about margins especially since the dealer price list for dynaudio was posted in this thread just a few weeks prior showing similar markups. I don't think high end dealers are very profitable in general. Just not much volume these days. In fact in my giant city of Houston we seem to have a hard time keeping the boutiques in business.

I wouldn't be eager to do business with any dealer childish enough to post a revenge eBay ad. The ad says avoid getting ripped off. So logically either they are willing to show you the markups for their lines or they are willing to rip you off. I couldn't have faith to buy anything expensive from somebody so immature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page