Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1072 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2820Likes

post #32131 of 32157 Old 09-26-2016, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ve3fnd View Post
Why not go for a better grade cable. Seeing the prices "most" of us spend on our Pres, Amps, Speakers and DACS it only makes sense to me to put a few bucks in a better cable. I have see the difference from the stock chord GEM DAC cable to the better 75$ cable I added later. It only makes sense if you get a better, cleaner and stronger signal to any component it will preform better. If some people on the AVS feel different, by all means take a run to your local dollar store. Most have CAT cables and USB cables too... Let me know how that works out for you. I wont be putting any on my stuff any time soon. That's my 2 cent cables worth.
Because it's a waste of money? I'll soon be running a 7.1.2 setup with an Anthem AVM 60, C2 Platinums (Parasound A21 amp), three C1 mkIIs for surround and center (Outlaw 7500 amp), Contour 1.4 rears and Contour SR for heights (Anthem PVA5 amplifier), all wired from a 500 ft spool of generic 14 gauge in-wall speaker wire from Home Depot and whatever I had laying around for interconnects - I just haven't read or personally experienced anything that has made me think boutique cables are anything other than snake oil.
Garman and ambesolman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32132 of 32157 Old 09-26-2016, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvinfig View Post
Because it's a waste of money? I'll soon be running a 7.1.2 setup with an Anthem AVM 60, C2 Platinums (Parasound A21 amp), three C1 mkIIs for surround and center (Outlaw 7500 amp), Contour 1.4 rears and Contour SR for heights (Anthem PVA5 amplifier), all wired from a 500 ft spool of generic 14 gauge in-wall speaker wire from Home Depot and whatever I had laying around for interconnects - I just haven't read or personally experienced anything that has made me think boutique cables are anything other than snake oil.

I lay in the middle on this one, I'm not saying spend 1000s on one cable. The way I look at it is the better your system is you should look at better then BestBuy cables. I'm still looking for "that guy" out there with the dollar store USB and interconnects on a Chord DAVE. So far no one has proved a DAC such as that is as good on a 1$ cable as it is on a 200$ one.

2ch - PRE - Cambridge Audio Azur 540r, POWER - Exposure 2010s amp, Cambridge Audio DVD89, Martin Logan motion 40 speakers and dynamo 700 sub, Jriver for Flac and DSD audio, CHORD HUGO DAC, Project Elemental Turntable with Micromega MyGroov phono stage.
7.1 HT - Paradigm 90p v3, Polk CSI 40 center, Polk R150 rears, Mission 760i side, Velodyne VX-10B Sub, Pioneer VSX-9130TXH
post #32133 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
I'm still looking for "that guy" out there with the dollar store USB and interconnects on a Chord DAVE. So far no one has proved a DAC such as that is as good on a 1$ cable as it is on a 200$ one.
I think you're going way too far on the other side here. No one's saying to go to the dollar store and buy the cheapest junk you can find. The side that's against $30,000 Nordost cables says that, if you buy a cable that's sufficient gauge to carry the current and shielded against interference, you won't hear a difference.

Monster XP versus Aluminum Foil: A Speaker Cable Test
Garman, ambesolman and shample like this.

post #32134 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by shample View Post
It all looks good, but I wouldn't waste my money on using Contour 20's in the rear. A pair of Emits won't sound any different. Surrounds play such limited information.
I'm ordering a pair of the new Dynaudio Contour Compact 20's to use as rears with Monitor Audio PL500's and I hope it's not a waste of money.
post #32135 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricjor1 View Post
I'm ordering a pair of the new Dynaudio Contour Compact 20's to use as rears with Monitor Audio PL500's and I hope it's not a waste of money.
Why would you go with Dyn surrounds instead of MA PL100s? I don't know what the new Contours are going to sound like but all the other Dynaudio speakers I own have a very different sound signature than my PL100s.
post #32136 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Hey; before I go w i d e with it (AC, USAM, AG, et al); I'm doing an IC, on my...

Just PM me, if you're interested and serious enough; to want further details.

PERFECT, for driving those new Contours
For those of you, who may not have gotten it; that's a Bryston 4B3
BigAl87 and yonson like this.

FOUNDER - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective)
post #32137 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvinfig View Post
Why would you go with Dyn surrounds instead of MA PL100s? I don't know what the new Contours are going to sound like but all the other Dynaudio speakers I own have a very different sound signature than my PL100s.
I'm a 2-channel guy that decided to incorporate surround sound with my 2-channel system. I currently have Monitor Audio Bronze 5 as rears, but borrowed my friend's Dynaudio Focus 260's. I preferred the 260's. I do have a Monitor Audio Gold 350 center, but to my ears the sonic signature didn't affect the sound as much as the clarity.
post #32138 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I go away to Switzerland and Italy for a few days and this thread goes to $h!t.

Here is a 9-27-2016 review of the 200 XD:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/d...kkJZDKIfiGH.97

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM SuperNait 2
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA>DIN | Tellurium Q Black 3M

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70w)

post #32139 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 208
BTW, none of the photo attachments load for me.

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM SuperNait 2
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA>DIN | Tellurium Q Black 3M

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70w)

post #32140 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
BTW, none of the photo attachments load for me.
If you are tralking about the thubnails, i have a work around cause i have the same issue so when you click on thumbnail it just spins and does not open but by double cliking on the black background wile actually try to load it will open in the same window in your browser.
OctaDyn_Dude likes this.

Sudgen A21se IA, Arcam AVR400, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 (I can't wait for October). BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

Office setup, Wadia 151 Power DAC mini, Dynaudio X-18 Satin Black lacquer. .
post #32141 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
That could be. Or he had an inferior Cat 6 cable so when he switched to Cat 7 he thought the difference was the shielding. Or it's psychoacoustics.

I'm not a guy that spends a ton on cables. If the engineers who actually design these amps actually thought a power cable brought out the best in their amps, don't you think they'd find a way to include a higher grade one? Instead of tons of output transistors in parallel, film bypass caps, boutique caps in the signal path, etc...... why aren't they just including a "high end" power cable? Some of the improvement claims people spew about their USB/network cables, speaker wire, and power cables could carry some weight if any engineer in the world would just start shipping their amps/dacs/sources with them. If they made a difference, the engineer would cut costs elsewhere to include them; just as they do with internal parts that matter.

I personally buy pure copper wire with proper AWG and shielding. It doesn't need fancy terminations or to be wrapped in tech flex to make it pretty. OFC copper is OFC copper. All I know is that if you don't have noise in your system, and you switch from one Cat 6 cable to an equivalent Cat 7 cable, you aren't going to hear a difference. Spend the money if you have to. I know what it's like to get stuck on something and not be able to get rid of the feeling until you buy it. Go for it. Like you said; it's not that much money.
They want to keep their price down. Some manufacturers know this and won't include a PC.
ve3fnd likes this.
post #32142 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
They want to keep their price down. Some manufacturers know this and won't include a PC.

Makes sense to me, I would think they leave it up to the buyer to pick the preferred PC. Some like nordost cables some like other brands. Just as many choices of cables as there are amps and speakers.

2ch - PRE - Cambridge Audio Azur 540r, POWER - Exposure 2010s amp, Cambridge Audio DVD89, Martin Logan motion 40 speakers and dynamo 700 sub, Jriver for Flac and DSD audio, CHORD HUGO DAC, Project Elemental Turntable with Micromega MyGroov phono stage.
7.1 HT - Paradigm 90p v3, Polk CSI 40 center, Polk R150 rears, Mission 760i side, Velodyne VX-10B Sub, Pioneer VSX-9130TXH
post #32143 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Yet, they include higher cost parts that do make a difference internally. Use your brain buddy. If the cable between the copper in your wall and the amp itself made a difference, they'd skimp somewhere else to include a better version.

Please don't forget that the $4.00 cable you all pay $1,000 for is still a $4.00 cable to a manufacturer. If it made a difference, they'd include it.
post #32144 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:

More like they want to keep the price up for the power cords.
ambesolman and shample like this.
post #32145 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Makes sense to me, I would think they leave it up to the buyer to pick the preferred PC. Some like nordost cables some like other brands. Just as many choices of cables as there are amps and speakers.
If that makes sense to you, then ask yourself why they didn't skimp on the extra storage caps, or the film bypass caps, or the higher dollar opamp, or the extra set(s) of parallel output transistors and all the parts associated with them? Because they feel all of those extra unnecessary parts make a difference. Yet, the power cord is NEVER upgraded.
post #32146 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Yet, they include higher cost parts that do make a difference internally. Use your brain buddy. If the cable between the copper in your wall and the amp itself made a difference, they'd skimp somewhere else to include a better version.

Please don't forget that the $4.00 cable you all pay $1,000 for is still a $4.00 cable to a manufacturer. If it made a difference, they'd include it.
If the cable from your wall to the amp made no difference cable companies would not exist. Use your brain buddy There are amp companies that also make cables tailored to their equipment but they are few and far between. I consider cables to be more like final tone controls once your system if finalized. What may sound better in one system may not sound any better than a $4 cable in another. It's a lot more evident when you have a a high resolving system vs a low/midfi system. If your hardware store wire sounds the best for you go for it. Then when you want a little more clarity/resolution just go purchase a better source pre/amp or dac.
no quarter, ve3fnd and yonson like this.
post #32147 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Quote:
If that makes sense to you, then ask yourself why they didn't skimp on the extra storage caps, or the film bypass caps, or the higher dollar opamp, or the extra set(s) of parallel output transistors and all the parts associated with them? Because they feel all of those extra unnecessary parts make a difference. Yet, the power cord is NEVER upgraded.
Never say never. I'm fairly sure Naim includes an upgraded power cord with their 500 series gear.
no quarter and ve3fnd like this.
post #32148 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM

Quote:

Here are some direct quotes from the web, I'm sure you wont believe them anyway, but I will post for the rest of the open minded audiophiles on here. Cnet.com says "Category 6/6e cables have a more robust specification than Category 5/5e. There probably won't be much of a speed difference on your home network (Cat5 is still really fast), but the extra shielding can't hurt. Since Cat6 cables are only fractionally more expensive, there's no reason not to go with them." They also say "In the case of speaker cable, however, there's actually science and objective testing to back up a little of the notion that cable quality affects sound quality. The speaker, receiver/amplifier, and cable all create an electrical circuit. Changing the resistance and capacitance of the cable can slightly change how the amplifier and speakers interact. I've done blind A/B testing that proves this, and audio guru Brent Butterworth has done objective tests of a wide range of speaker cables that reveal subtle audible differences. CNET audio reviewer Steve Guttenberg says speaker cables are important. "I use Analysis Plus, AudioQuest, XLO, and Zu Audio cables in my home system," But hey what does cnet know I'm sure shample knows much more then a pro reviewer.

post #32149 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Here are some direct quotes from the web, I'm sure you wont believe them anyway, but I will post for the rest of the open minded audiophiles on here. Cnet.com says "Category 6/6e cables have a more robust specification than Category 5/5e. There probably won't be much of a speed difference on your home network (Cat5 is still really fast), but the extra shielding can't hurt. Since Cat6 cables are only fractionally more expensive, there's no reason not to go with them." They also say "In the case of speaker cable, however, there's actually science and objective testing to back up a little of the notion that cable quality affects sound quality. The speaker, receiver/amplifier, and cable all create an electrical circuit. Changing the resistance and capacitance of the cable can slightly change how the amplifier and speakers interact. I've done blind A/B testing that proves this, and audio guru Brent Butterworth has done objective tests of a wide range of speaker cables that reveal subtle audible differences. CNET audio reviewer Steve Guttenberg says speaker cables are important. "I use Analysis Plus, AudioQuest, XLO, and Zu Audio cables in my home system," But hey what does cnet know I'm sure shample knows much more then a pro reviewer.
Sure they are important and also necessary in most systems. That does not directly relate to sound differences.
post #32150 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM

Quote:
If your hardware store wire sounds the best for you go for it. Then when you want a little more clarity/resolution just go purchase a better source pre/amp or dac.

This may be a revelation for you so I'd ask that you sit down before reading on......

.....are you ready?

The "hardware store" copper is no less inferior than the copper surrounded by tech flex with a fancy .05 banana plug attached that you would willingly pays thousands for. The copper in your wire wasn't mined from some exclusive island off the coast of the French Riviera that has some special chemical properties from the surrounding environment. It's f'n copper. Get a grip.
cvinfig likes this.
post #32151 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
Never say never. I'm fairly sure Naim includes an upgraded power cord with their 500 series gear.
Seeing as Naim was brought up, we might want to address the other myth they have you sheep believing; that parallel output devices reduces sound quality. Just another tactic to get you to spend a crap ton of money on an inferior amp with LESS POWER and LESS COST to build......for 3x the price.

Same argument....different product.
post #32152 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Seeing as Naim was brought up, we might want to address the other myth they have you sheep believing; that parallel output devices reduces sound quality. Just another tactic to get you to spend a crap ton of money on an inferior amp with LESS POWER and LESS COST to build......for 3x the price.

I am curious what exactly is YOUR current system? Why don't you fill us in,so we can all run right out and grab the same gear,and know we have the BEST.I happen to work in the mold making industry,where steel is used for most mold's.There are many different types of steel,and different grades of steel used for various applications,for example,"lens grade p-20" is used for mold's which create headlight lenses.Why can there not be different grades of copper,with different elements added for more electrical conductivity etc?.Silver is more conductive than copper,but more expensive for sure.And you see silver added to a lot of the connectors on the higher priced cables.I am not sure why you are on this thread at all,you "appear" to be much smarter than anyone here...shouldn't you be working in a lab somewhere,splitting atoms,or solving world hunger?
OctaDyn_Dude, ve3fnd and yonson like this.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
post #32153 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
I am curious what exactly is YOUR current system? Why don't you fill us in,so we can all run right out and grab the same gear,and know we have the BEST.I happen to work in the mold making industry,where steel is used for most mold's.There are many different types of steel,and different grades of steel used for various applications,for example,"lens grade p-20" is used for mold's which create headlight lenses.Why can there not be different grades of copper,with different elements added for more electrical conductivity etc?.Silver is more conductive than copper,but more expensive for sure.And you see silver added to a lot of the connectors on the higher priced cables.I am not sure why you are on this thread at all,you "appear" to be much smarter than anyone here...shouldn't you be working in a lab somewhere,splitting atoms,or solving world hunger?

I too would love to know what "flagship" stuff he owns and why.

post #32154 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM

Quote:

I can say first hand because I have heard a fair amount of naim gear and I own a similar exposure power amp. Power or "watts" is not every thing, when first looking at amps I was leaning towards a 200-250wpc amp. After hearing the 75wpc exposure no need. Its as loud as I will ever need and very musical! Naim is the same way, you get what you pay for. Quality audio power from a British amp beats raw power any day in my book.

post #32155 of 32157 Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 425
GT: well it alway goes to S h I t when people start talking about cable in a speaker forum! 😳

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Musical Fidelity,KEF, etc...... Maybe New Contour's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Standse
post #32156 of 32157 Old Today, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Why can there not be different grades of copper,with different elements added for more electrical conductivity etc?.
There can be, and there is. Except we are talking about OFC which is 99.99% copper. Adding other elements means it's no longer electronic grade OFC. "Hardware store" wire that is OFC is 99.99% copper.

Quote:
Silver is more conductive than copper,but more expensive for sure.And you see silver added to a lot of the connectors on the higher priced cables.I am not sure why you are on this thread at all,you "appear" to be much smarter than anyone here...shouldn't you be working in a lab somewhere,splitting atoms,or solving world hunger?
Do you realize that Silver is only 5% more conductive than copper? That means you can make your copper wire a mere 5% larger to make up for that small margin.

Do you think those special connectors on power cables that are PLATED in silver are giving you any benefit? Not solid silver.....silver PLATED brass, aluminum, or copper. Even if they mixed solid 50% copper/50% silver; now you have what? A huge 2.5% more conductivity on that little plug prong? Not the whole wire, but the little 1 inch prong that goes in your wall. You would have to have solid silver prongs and solid silver wire just to gain 5% in conductivity over a perfectly matched OFC cable. Just make that OFC cable 5% larger and the silver is moot. Let's say you had a solid silver cable. Now you would have to worry about breakage because silver isn't as malleable as copper.

....and don't forget that these little low powered Naim amps probably don't need more power wire conductivity (current carrying capacity) to begin with.

Garman is right though. We are getting far off this thread's purpose. I'll leave it alone.
post #32157 of 32157 Old Today, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Have you guys seen this speaker?

The Evidence M5P far-field studio monitor
http://www.dynaudio.com/professional.../m-series/m5p/

Last edited by amatuerholic; Today at 04:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore