Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1072 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2797Likes
post #32131 of 32135 Unread Today, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by shample View Post
ANSI CAT 6 standards specify 22-24 gauge for a reason. Gauge always matters; no matter the application. The larger wire will have less resistance.

Proper CAT 7 cable is still built with 23 gauge. It's all these mass market retailers that are selling the 26-28 gauge cables.
Listen guys,I am not trying to start a war here,I am no electrical engineer...just an audiophile and music lover like most here.I just asked if anyone had switched from cat 6 to cat 7 and noticed a difference.The guy at my dealer that told me about it is not a salesman,just a fellow audiophile who I just met that day and had NO reason to lie,or blow smoke up my ass.I will say though,I think he has a pretty high end system...he mentioned he was using audio note gear and running a chord Qbd76 dac with it,so maybe these differences can be heard more with top tier components...just a thought
http://www.whathifi.com/chord-electr...76-hdsd/review
ve3fnd likes this.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32132 of 32135 Unread Today, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Listen guys,I am not trying to start a war here,I am no electrical engineer...just an audiophile and music lover like most here.I just asked if anyone had switched from cat 6 to cat 7 and noticed a difference.The guy at my dealer that told me about it is not a salesman,just a fellow audiophile who I just met that day and had NO reason to lie,or blow smoke up my ass.I will say though,I think he has a pretty high end system...he mentioned he was using audio note gear and running a chord Qbd76 dac with it,so maybe these differences can be heard more with top tear components...just a thought
http://www.whathifi.com/chord-electr...76-hdsd/review
That could be. Or he had an inferior Cat 6 cable so when he switched to Cat 7 he thought the difference was the shielding. Or it's psychoacoustics.

I'm not a guy that spends a ton on cables. If the engineers who actually design these amps actually thought a power cable brought out the best in their amps, don't you think they'd find a way to include a higher grade one? Instead of tons of output transistors in parallel, film bypass caps, boutique caps in the signal path, etc...... why aren't they just including a "high end" power cable? Some of the improvement claims people spew about their USB/network cables, speaker wire, and power cables could carry some weight if any engineer in the world would just start shipping their amps/dacs/sources with them. If they made a difference, the engineer would cut costs elsewhere to include them; just as they do with internal parts that matter.

I personally buy pure copper wire with proper AWG and shielding. It doesn't need fancy terminations or to be wrapped in tech flex to make it pretty. OFC copper is OFC copper. All I know is that if you don't have noise in your system, and you switch from one Cat 6 cable to an equivalent Cat 7 cable, you aren't going to hear a difference. Spend the money if you have to. I know what it's like to get stuck on something and not be able to get rid of the feeling until you buy it. Go for it. Like you said; it's not that much money.
cvinfig likes this.

Last edited by shample; Today at 09:51 PM.
post #32133 of 32135 Unread Today, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Why not go for a better grade cable. Seeing the prices "most" of us spend on our Pres, Amps, Speakers and DACS it only makes sense to me to put a few bucks in a better cable. I have see the difference from the stock chord GEM DAC cable to the better 75$ cable I added later. It only makes sense if you get a better, cleaner and stronger signal to any component it will preform better. If some people on the AVS feel different, by all means take a run to your local dollar store. Most have CAT cables and USB cables too... Let me know how that works out for you. I wont be putting any on my stuff any time soon. That's my 2 cent cables worth.

2ch - PRE - Cambridge Audio Azur 540r, POWER - Exposure 2010s amp, Cambridge Audio DVD89, Martin Logan motion 40 speakers and dynamo 700 sub, Jriver for Flac and DSD audio, CHORD HUGO DAC, Project Elemental Turntable with Micromega MyGroov phono stage.
7.1 HT - Paradigm 90p v3, Polk CSI 40 center, Polk R150 rears, Mission 760i side, Velodyne VX-10B Sub, Pioneer VSX-9130TXH
post #32134 of 32135 Unread Today, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ve3fnd View Post
Why not go for a better grade cable. Seeing the prices "most" of us spend on our Pres, Amps, Speakers and DACS it only makes sense to me to put a few bucks in a better cable. I have see the difference from the stock chord GEM DAC cable to the better 75$ cable I added later. It only makes sense if you get a better, cleaner and stronger signal to any component it will preform better. If some people on the AVS feel different, by all means take a run to your local dollar store. Most have CAT cables and USB cables too... Let me know how that works out for you. I wont be putting any on my stuff any time soon. That's my 2 cent cables worth.
Because it's a waste of money? I'll soon be running a 7.1.2 setup with an Anthem AVM 60, C2 Platinums (Parasound A21 amp), three C1 mkIIs for surround and center (Outlaw 7500 amp), Contour 1.4 rears and Contour SR for heights (Anthem PVA5 amplifier), all wired from a 500 ft spool of generic 14 gauge in-wall speaker wire from Home Depot and whatever I had laying around for interconnects - I just haven't read or personally experienced anything that has made me think boutique cables are anything other than snake oil.
post #32135 of 32135 Unread Today, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvinfig View Post
Because it's a waste of money? I'll soon be running a 7.1.2 setup with an Anthem AVM 60, C2 Platinums (Parasound A21 amp), three C1 mkIIs for surround and center (Outlaw 7500 amp), Contour 1.4 rears and Contour SR for heights (Anthem PVA5 amplifier), all wired from a 500 ft spool of generic 14 gauge in-wall speaker wire from Home Depot and whatever I had laying around for interconnects - I just haven't read or personally experienced anything that has made me think boutique cables are anything other than snake oil.

I lay in the middle on this one, I'm not saying spend 1000s on one cable. The way I look at it is the better your system is you should look at better then BestBuy cables. I'm still looking for "that guy" out there with the dollar store USB and interconnects on a Chord DAVE. So far no one has proved a DAC such as that is as good on a 1$ cable as it is on a 200$ one.

2ch - PRE - Cambridge Audio Azur 540r, POWER - Exposure 2010s amp, Cambridge Audio DVD89, Martin Logan motion 40 speakers and dynamo 700 sub, Jriver for Flac and DSD audio, CHORD HUGO DAC, Project Elemental Turntable with Micromega MyGroov phono stage.
7.1 HT - Paradigm 90p v3, Polk CSI 40 center, Polk R150 rears, Mission 760i side, Velodyne VX-10B Sub, Pioneer VSX-9130TXH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore