Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1074 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2867Likes
post #32191 of 32203 Unread Yesterday, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Wow, reading today's posts I was having cringe flashbacks to Monday nights debate...

shample, I don't believe anyone is trying to personally attack you or berate what you have, even though you have come off a little blunt and down putting in some of your replies. If someone wants to buy expensive cables so be it, it's their money and they have decided that it helps their system same with their choice of components.

Back on Dynaudio, those M5P's look pretty nice, I'm all for function over form especially if it will save some coin!
OctaDyn_Dude likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32192 of 32203 Unread Yesterday, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonson View Post
Wow, reading today's posts I was having cringe flashbacks to Monday nights debate...

shample, I don't believe anyone is trying to personally attack you or berate what you have, even though you have come off a little blunt and down putting in some of your replies. If someone wants to buy expensive cables so be it, it's their money and they have decided that it helps their system same with their choice of components.

Back on Dynaudio, those M5P's look pretty nice, I'm all for function over form especially if it will save some coin!
Hope Otto can come back with a MSRP on those. I guessing 10 -15% less compared to the Platinums. That said I was all for sound over looks but at some point you may change your mind especially if you think they are your last speaker. I started with C1's in cherry because I cared more about the SQ over looks. But after 2 years the cherry looked cheap after seeing the gloss moca. So I went for the Sig's in moca and low and behold the sig's sounded better too. The upgraded crossover - internal wiring and the new coating on the Esotar2 made for a real nice difference.
yonson likes this.
post #32193 of 32203 Unread Yesterday, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Hope Otto can come back with a MSRP on those. I guessing 10 -15% less compared to the Platinums. That said I was all for sound over looks but at some point you may change your mind especially if you think they are your last speaker. I started with C1's in cherry because I cared more about the SQ over looks. But after 2 years the cherry looked cheap after seeing the gloss moca. So I went for the Sig's in moca and low and behold the sig's sounded better too. The upgraded crossover - internal wiring and the new coating on the Esotar2 made for a real nice difference.
Comparing the M5P to the current Evidence offerings, it looks like they are based off the Temptation, but not identical.

The M5P's are slightly taller, deeper, and weigh 2 kg more. The M5P's are only 89dB vs. 90dB for the Temptations however they are listed with IEC power of 550 watts vs. 500, also the crossover slopes are slightly different, 290, 480, 2200, 8500 vs. 300, 500, 2300, 8000.

With as dark as my music room is, looks really don't matter to me, but I can see where someone that needed WAF would want something nicer, and I really DO like my Mocca C4's!
post #32194 of 32203 Unread Yesterday, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I like the industrial understated look

I really like the fancy wood finishes as well though. The rosewood lacquer I have now really makes the rest of my furniture look like crap. It's like parking a McLaren in a trailer park

I really can't stand fake wood plastic finish on any speakers though. Budget constrained speakers should be finished plain colors or flat black
post #32195 of 32203 Unread Yesterday, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 208
M5P is based on Platinum, not Temptation. If there are specs somewhere that contradicts this, let me know.
post #32196 of 32203 Unread Yesterday, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto J View Post
M5P is based on Platinum, not Temptation. If there are specs somewhere that contradicts this, let me know.
Thanks for the correction, I looked again and as you stated they are identical to the Platinum.

Damn dyslexia...
post #32197 of 32203 Unread Today, 01:32 AM
Advanced Member

While we are waiting for the final press release, here are the specifications of the new Contour:

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS C20
Sensitivity: 86dB (2,83V/ 1m)
IEC power handling: 180 Watts
Nominal impedance: 8 ohms
Frequency response: 39Hz – 23kHz (-3dB)
Box principle: Rear ported bass reflex
Crossover: 2 way
Crossover frequency: 2200 Hz
Crossover slope: 2nd order
Woofer: 18cm MSP cone
Tweeter: 28mm soft dome
Weight: 15,5 kg
Dimensions (W x H x D): 215x440x360mm

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS C30
Sensitivity: 87dB (2,83V/ 1m)
IEC power handling: 300 Watts
Nominal impedance: 4 ohms
Frequency response: 33Hz – 23kHz (-3dB)
Crossover: 2 1/2 way
Woofers: 18cm MSP cone
Weight: 34,4 kg
Dimensions (W x H x D): 215x1170x360mm

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS C60
Sensitivity: 88dB (2,83V/ 1m)
IEC power handling: 390 watts (estimate)
Frequency response: 28Hz – 23kHz (-3dB)
Crossover: 3 way
Crossover frequency: 220 / 4500 Hz
Woofers: 24cm MSP cone
Midrange: 15cm MSP cone
Weight: 54,3Kg
Dimensions (W x H x D): 1355mmx 295mm x 460mm

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS C25
Sensitivity: 87dB (2,83V/ 1m)
IEC power handling: 300 Watts
Frequency response: 33Hz – 23kHz (-3dB)
Crossover: 2 1/2 way
Woofers: 18cm MSP cone
Weight: 25,3 kg
Dimensions (W x H x D): 750x250x396mm

Available finishes: Black and White High Gloss, Walnut Satin, White Oak, Rosewood High Gloss, and Grey Oak High Gloss. Prices vary depending on finish, and will be in the press releases (I don't have the US prices at hand). Delivery in the US will start with Contour 20 and 30 in October. 25 and 60 will be available in November/December - I don't have the exact schedules. I would be surprised if we catch up with pre-orders this year.
GTaudiophile and no quarter like this.

Otto Jørgensen
Customer Care Manager, Denmark
Dynaudio A/S
post #32198 of 32203 Unread Today, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Otto - way the change to 2nd order crossovers?
post #32199 of 32203 Unread Today, 02:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Otto - way the change to 2nd order crossovers?
It has been asked a lot, but it's not the first Dynaudio speaker without 1st order crossovers... The Consequence for instance is 2nd order as well, so are some of the Excites. The reality is, that the new Contour is designed completely from scratch, with no regards to the technical solutions of the older Contour, or even other Dynaudio's. Whenever you change a factor of a design, it has a snowball effect, that can cause different decisions in other areas, than what you would otherwise choose. In that sense, I guess you can argue that it is "marketing fluff" to say that a certain crossover design is inherently better than another - in reality, 1st order was the best choice for the specific design of the old Contour, with the way the speaker was designed. For the new Contour, the engineers took a different approach, and ended up in a different place. The goal is not to use a specific construction method, but to reach a specific level of sound quality. For the new Contour, this is where we ended up.

When I say that we started from scratch, this includes areas where you could say that we have used old tech. From the beginning of the project, anything and everything was up for debate. For the areas where we ended up using known technologies, it was because it was the best choice that we had available. For instance, different tweeter concepts were on the drawing board, but we ended up with the Esotar2, simply because it was the best choice within the limits of the projects. Even the MSP material, which is perhaps one of the deepest parts of the foundation of Dynaudio, was up for debate - but so far we have not been satisfied with the results from other materials. So we continue to use MSP - but not because we had to. In other areas, we ended up with "new" (for Dynaudio at least) solutions. Overall, the answer to any of the questions regarding "why did you change XXX" is the same: We changed the mixtures, to reach a better end result. None of these changes are inherently "better", all else being equal - they are better for this particular design.

As I've mentioned before, the final answer to the question "why", will be clear once people hear the result.

Otto Jørgensen
Customer Care Manager, Denmark
Dynaudio A/S
post #32200 of 32203 Unread Today, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto J View Post
It has been asked a lot, but it's not the first Dynaudio speaker without 1st order crossovers... The Consequence for instance is 2nd order as well, so are some of the Excites. The reality is, that the new Contour is designed completely from scratch, with no regards to the technical solutions of the older Contour, or even other Dynaudio's. Whenever you change a factor of a design, it has a snowball effect, that can cause different decisions in other areas, than what you would otherwise choose. In that sense, I guess you can argue that it is "marketing fluff" to say that a certain crossover design is inherently better than another - in reality, 1st order was the best choice for the specific design of the old Contour, with the way the speaker was designed. For the new Contour, the engineers took a different approach, and ended up in a different place. The goal is not to use a specific construction method, but to reach a specific level of sound quality. For the new Contour, this is where we ended up.

When I say that we started from scratch, this includes areas where you could say that we have used old tech. From the beginning of the project, anything and everything was up for debate. For the areas where we ended up using known technologies, it was because it was the best choice that we had available. For instance, different tweeter concepts were on the drawing board, but we ended up with the Esotar2, simply because it was the best choice within the limits of the projects. Even the MSP material, which is perhaps one of the deepest parts of the foundation of Dynaudio, was up for debate - but so far we have not been satisfied with the results from other materials. So we continue to use MSP - but not because we had to. In other areas, we ended up with "new" (for Dynaudio at least) solutions. Overall, the answer to any of the questions regarding "why did you change XXX" is the same: We changed the mixtures, to reach a better end result. None of these changes are inherently "better", all else being equal - they are better for this particular design.

As I've mentioned before, the final answer to the question "why", will be clear once people hear the result.
Makes me wonder, during this evaluation period of designs and materials, if you all at some point had a "Frankenstein" Contour C30 or something with Kevlar woofers (ala B&W) and a ribbon tweeter (ala Raidho) or some other combination. You all sat back, listened, and considering the cost of various materials vs. performance, decided "yay" or "nay". Sounds like a fun day job to me...

Of course frequency response and specs in general of C30 are nearly identical to Focus 260

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM SuperNait 2
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA>DIN | Tellurium Q Black 3M

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70w)

post #32201 of 32203 Unread Today, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Otto: Thanks for posting the specs. I know what the specs say on paper versus how they sound are completely different things. The bass performance of C20 already looks impressive on paper. High gloss white or white oak would be my top two finishes of choice. Grey oak will be interesting to see too.

How many variations of the baffle will there be? Only silver aluminum?

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM SuperNait 2
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA>DIN | Tellurium Q Black 3M

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70w)

post #32202 of 32203 Unread Today, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Otto,thanks for posting the specs finally,as a happy XD 600 owner it seems a bit odd that the XD 600's are rated on the dyn site at 20hz-24 khz,yet the much bigger contour c 60 is rated from 28hz-23khz. The xd 600's have (2) 18 cm woofers,(1) 14cm midrange and the 28mm softdome versus (2) 24cm woofers,(1) 15 cm midrange and the esotar 2 tweeter.The contour c 60 is a much bigger cabinet and weighs twice as much as the 600's.My question is,are these numbers accurate,and does this mean the 600's out perform the new c 60...or am i missing something here?I realize numbers do not tell the whole story,but i would like to hear your thoughts/comparisons of the two speakers...if you are allowed.I have not taken any measurements of my 600's,other than an spl meter peaks of 110 db's.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
post #32203 of 32203 Unread Today, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 123
don't want to speak for otto, but the fact that your speakers are DSP controlled means they can go very low but only to very limited volumes when they reach cone excursion limits. If they have usable response to 20hz at low to medium volume, there is no way they can maintain that extension in to higher listening levels. Luckily they have on board computing so they can just pull back the extreme LF part of the music as the volume increases.

You can bet that the c60 can play to alot higher spls within its rated bass extension than the XDs. They should have alot more bass headroom, even if they cant play quite as low, at lower volumes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore