Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1075 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 2897Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #32221 of 32242 Unread Today, 03:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by shample View Post
FYI - a subwoofer size has nothing to do with how low it plays, or how low (hz) you can port it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
It does if you care about such practical issues such as reasonable SPLs, or physically improbably power requirements and excursion limits

hoffman's iron law

http://sites.psu.edu/speakerdesign/2...aker-building/


SPL and frequency response are two totally different issues. Please get an education. I beg you.

Hence, the reason the 600XD plays lower (hz) and the new Contour plays louder (SPL). Isn't it funny how things come full circle when you argue with people who have no clue?

Last edited by shample; Today at 03:49 PM.
shample is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32222 of 32242 Unread Today, 03:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto J View Post
With a ported box, you simply can't add enough volume at these low frequencies, due to the sharp acoustic rolloff. This is also why so many subwoofers are designed as small, sealed boxes with high amplifier output and DSP - it is an easy way to create a linear response to very low frequencies. In essence, the design of the 600 XD bass system is very similar to many subwoofers.lthough, compared to the cone area, the cabinets are a lot larger than what is common for sealed subwoofers, which is part of the reason (not the only reason) that we can get by with "only" 150 watts per driver, whereas most subwoofers use much more than that.

.
Plain as day the XD has extreme LF relative extension largely do to being a sealed system. Cant eq the ported sytem to the same specs effectively

This was my point in its entirety before you started the "argument"

And you
aschen is online now  
post #32223 of 32242 Unread Today, 04:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by shample View Post
This is the exact reason I haven't answered. Internet forums turn into witch hunts when someone with an education debunks all the snake oil with facts.

Now you want to turn your attention to my own personal belongings in an effort to diminish me. It's a funny thing that people like you think anyone who doesn't believe in snake oil is broke. Does it make you feel better to believe that people are broke, and can't afford a $1,000 power cable, simply because they just choose not to throw money at a product that is no better than the one they got for free with their amp? Am I talking bad about your under built 12 year old, mediocre at best, $1,250 amp that you think I can't afford? I would beg to differ that your "nice toys" aren't nice in my world, so your whole comment is laughable.

Here's a tip. Go back a read a few of my posts from the last 2 weeks and you will see what amp I use. I just bought another new one. I must have sold my food stamps for the past 20 years to afford it huh? I'm sure you'll find another spin so we don't have to talk about the truth any longer; that copper is copper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shample View Post
SPL and frequency response are two totally different issues. Please get an education. I beg you.

Hence, the reason the 600XD plays lower (hz) and the new Contour plays louder (SPL). Isn't it funny how things come full circle when you argue with people who have no clue?

I'm not an expert here but all I can say is that this group enjoys listening to their Dyn's and are happy with their systems and engage in very meaningful discussions without name calling. We exchange ideas and learn from the experiments we keep on doing on our so called mediocre systems.


All I have seen you do is come here and create ruckus and prove you have higher IQ. Well no quarter already said that you are a genius so then what prompts you to have a discussion with people like us who have "no clue"? Isn't it below your dignity to talk to us?
Matrixman18 is online now  
post #32224 of 32242 Unread Today, 04:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 124
You really should be ashamed of the name calling and low class demeanor. You are going on ignore for me.

I look forward to these tiny subs that have broadband width and can play at any reasonable SPL. SPL does matter as a perfectly flat sub at 32db isnt a sub at all. You said the size of a sub has nothing to do with the extension, when size and extension are literally 2 of the 3 constraining variables in the most fundamental rule of speakers.

You are wrong and strong in this whole thread on nearly every point

Peace out

Edit I see you removed a rude comment, still going with ignore though
Matrixman18 likes this.
aschen is online now  
post #32225 of 32242 Unread Today, 04:48 PM
Member
 
Red MC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by shample View Post
SPL and frequency response are two totally different issues. Please get an education. I beg you.

Hence, the reason the 600XD plays lower (hz) and the new Contour plays louder (SPL). Isn't it funny how things come full circle when you argue with people who have no clue?
Sealed alignment rolls off at 12 dB/octave below resonance.
Ported alignment rolls off at 24 dB/octave below resonance.

Given the same or similar cabinet and driver size, a sealed design will have a somewhat higher tuning frequency. So I think you were right in saying that sealed enclosures roll off sooner than ported. This is generally going to be less than a half octave difference. But I think aschen is also right because below the port tuning frequency, the response curves of the sealed and ported designs will cross at some point, and below that point the sealed design will have greater output.

It's impossible to say that ported plays deeper than sealed or vice versa because it depends on the speaker and the room. If the tuning of the speaker and placement in-room is right, the shallower roll-off of a sealed design can be matched to the room gain curve resulting in bass that is flatter and goes deeper than a ported design. Magico is one company that does a good job of achieving this in their floorstanding speakers. But with smaller stand-mounted speakers, I would agree with you that ported almost always wins the battle of bass extension.
shample likes this.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
Red MC is online now  
post #32226 of 32242 Unread Today, 04:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixman18 View Post
I'm not an expert here but all I can say is that this group enjoys listening to their Dyn's and are happy with their systems and engage in very meaningful discussions without name calling. We exchange ideas and learn from the experiments we keep on doing on our so called mediocre systems.
=?
Oh really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
Guess I was wrong. Still a f***ing prick.
shample is online now  
post #32227 of 32242 Unread Today, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 231
We need the popcorn eating Emoji here like on other sites!
Matrixman18, ve3fnd and yonson like this.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
no quarter is online now  
post #32228 of 32242 Unread Today, 04:53 PM
Member
 
ve3fnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Is it just me... or does this guy like to dispute everything said on here. its getting old fast!
OctaDyn_Dude and yonson like this.

2ch - PRE - Cambridge Audio Azur 540r, POWER - Exposure 2010s amp, Cambridge Audio DVD89, Martin Logan motion 40 speakers and dynamo 700 sub, Jriver for Flac and DSD audio, CHORD HUGO DAC, Project Elemental Turntable with Micromega MyGroov phono stage.
7.1 HT - Paradigm 90p v3, Polk CSI 40 center, Polk R150 rears, Mission 760i side, Velodyne VX-10B Sub, Pioneer VSX-9130TXH
ve3fnd is offline  
post #32229 of 32242 Unread Today, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.SoftDome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,216
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Wow fellas,

I haven't popped in for a while but typically this is the best, most polite, informative threads around minus your WAY over-zealousness of Focus . What's going on in here these days?

You would think we are in the OLED vs Sony Z threads

When's the new Contour coming?

Rick
Mr.SoftDome is online now  
post #32230 of 32242 Unread Today, 05:00 PM
Senior Member
 
yonson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Wow, Otto dropping all kinds of info on us today!
yonson is online now  
post #32231 of 32242 Unread Today, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Spurrier Sucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: On Top
Posts: 1,246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by shample View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixman18 View Post
I'm not an expert here but all I can say is that this group enjoys listening to their Dyn's and are happy with their systems and engage in very meaningful discussions without name calling. We exchange ideas and learn from the experiments we keep on doing on our so called mediocre systems.
=?
Oh really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
Guess I was wrong. Still a f***ing prick.
It's called the truth. I believe most here agree with that statement. It's a bit impolite of be but it fits in this case.
no quarter, ve3fnd and yonson like this.
Spurrier Sucks is online now  
post #32232 of 32242 Unread Today, 05:05 PM
Senior Member
 
yonson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Otto,

I don't know if you are permitted to answer this exactly, but ballpark what was the time frame from inception to final production products on the new Contour line?
yonson is online now  
post #32233 of 32242 Unread Today, 05:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by shample View Post
Oh really?

As I said you are here to create ruckus and do nothing else. You don't answer questions just comment and comment and comment.


So keep on rattling. People like you don't know what they are doing and what they want to do...so keep on proving that you are "intelligent" whereas no one asked you to...but keep on doing it. :-)
ve3fnd likes this.
Matrixman18 is online now  
post #32234 of 32242 Unread Today, 05:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixman18 View Post
As I said you are here to create ruckus and do nothing else. You don't answer questions just comment and comment and comment.


So keep on rattling. People like you don't know what they are doing and what they want to do...so keep on proving that you are "intelligent" whereas no one asked you to...but keep on doing it. :-)
I've answered numerous questions with valid facts. Even the information provided today was backed with facts, and then even Otto.

Lets go back to your last comment. What was the point? To say that people here don't call names? Then you were proven wrong and now want to flip flop.

What's good for the goose, is good for the gander.
shample is online now  
post #32235 of 32242 Unread Today, 05:14 PM
Member
 
ve3fnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Good one, I didn't go anywhere I have been sitting back watching you and your "superior intellect" dig your own hole deeper on this forum. IMO if you have such a grudge against high priced stuff, there must be a reason why. Seeing your reaction just proved this more. It appears I struck a nerve on that one. I'm back out, nothing you say to me will bug me. I'm happy with what I have and don't need to prove anything to any one! You can go back to making friends now.
Matrixman18 and yonson like this.

2ch - PRE - Cambridge Audio Azur 540r, POWER - Exposure 2010s amp, Cambridge Audio DVD89, Martin Logan motion 40 speakers and dynamo 700 sub, Jriver for Flac and DSD audio, CHORD HUGO DAC, Project Elemental Turntable with Micromega MyGroov phono stage.
7.1 HT - Paradigm 90p v3, Polk CSI 40 center, Polk R150 rears, Mission 760i side, Velodyne VX-10B Sub, Pioneer VSX-9130TXH
ve3fnd is offline  
post #32236 of 32242 Unread Today, 05:18 PM
Senior Member
 
yonson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
We need the popcorn eating Emoji here like on other sites!
Like this?

no quarter and ve3fnd like this.
yonson is online now  
post #32237 of 32242 Unread Today, 05:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ve3fnd View Post
Good one, I didn't go anywhere I have been sitting back watching you and your "superior intellect" dig your own hole deeper on this forum. IMO if you have such a grudge against high priced stuff, there must be a reason why. Seeing your reaction just proved this more. It appears I struck a nerve on that one. I'm back out, nothing you say to me will bug me. I'm happy with what I have and don't need to prove anything to any one! You can go back to making friends now.
This is the type of BS that's the problem. I don't have a problem with high end anything. I have a good amount in my current system. Value was never an issue/subject until you spouted off saying I was broke because I won't spend $1,000 on a power cord. I never addressed anything you own until then. It just couldn't be facts and knowledge that formed my opinion. It had to be that I was jealous and broke to make sense to you. Do I need to quote you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve3fnd View Post
This guy is nothing but a sheep in wolfs clothing, I bet hes just upset he can't buy nice toys like we have Just like the other trolls he wont talk about his own stuff just make fun of ours. Get a life buddy one day you will see the light and if not oh well I have.
shample is online now  
post #32238 of 32242 Unread Today, 05:21 PM
Senior Member
 
yonson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by shample View Post
I've answered numerous questions with valid facts. Even the information provided today was backed with facts, and then even Otto.

Lets go back to your last comment. What was the point? To say that people here don't call names? Then you were proven wrong and now want to flip flop.

What's good for the goose, is good for the gander.
It's not that you've answered them incorrectly, it's the way you answer them in a condescending tone...
yonson is online now  
post #32239 of 32242 Unread Today, 05:23 PM
Member
 
ve3fnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by shample View Post
This is the type of BS that's the problem. I don't have a problem with high end anything. I have a good amount in my current system. Value was never an issue/subject until you spouted off saying I was broke because I won't spend $1,000 on a power cord. I never addressed anything you own until then. It just couldn't be facts and knowledge that formed my opinion. It had to be that I was jealous and broke to make sense to you. Do I need to quote you?


I have nothing more to add... I will just sit back and read what wonderful "malarkey" you toss at us. Keep digging!

2ch - PRE - Cambridge Audio Azur 540r, POWER - Exposure 2010s amp, Cambridge Audio DVD89, Martin Logan motion 40 speakers and dynamo 700 sub, Jriver for Flac and DSD audio, CHORD HUGO DAC, Project Elemental Turntable with Micromega MyGroov phono stage.
7.1 HT - Paradigm 90p v3, Polk CSI 40 center, Polk R150 rears, Mission 760i side, Velodyne VX-10B Sub, Pioneer VSX-9130TXH
ve3fnd is offline  
post #32240 of 32242 Unread Today, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
no quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
Wow fellas,

I haven't popped in for a while but typically this is the best, most polite, informative threads around minus your WAY over-zealousness of Focus . What's going on in here these days?

You would think we are in the OLED vs Sony Z threads

When's the new Contour coming?

Rick
Good to see you back Mr Softdome,we could use some of your informative posts around here again...it is getting a little tiresome lately.Are you still enjoying the reference ones?Otto just gave up the specs and release dates of the "new" contours...exciting times ahead.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
no quarter is online now  
post #32241 of 32242 Unread Today, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OctaDyn_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streamwood
Posts: 1,827
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by shample View Post
This is the type of BS that's the problem. I don't have a problem with high end anything. I have a good amount in my current system. Value was never an issue/subject until you spouted off saying I was broke because I won't spend $1,000 on a power cord. I never addressed anything you own until then. It just couldn't be facts and knowledge that formed my opinion. It had to be that I was jealous and broke to make sense to you. Do I need to quote you?
Shample you like all of us You are very opinionated. There is nothing wrong with that. But the way you reply all too often sounds like you are talking down to everyone and you are never wrong. You do bring up some good points but you don't when to stop. Example is your OFC copper. Dude there are many different grades of copper. I have some 30 yr old OFC 99.999999 copper and it has very little corrosion ( a little dark in color) compared to my 10 yr OFC (hardware store grade) which is almost black. Coppers oxidation is non conductive (insulator) where for example silver's oxidation as at least restive.

Dude you just need to relax and enjoy the music. Isn't that what is all about. If someone prefers 50K worth of cables to get an extra 10% more out his system isn't up to that person? Just like a 50K amp or speakers.

Last edited by OctaDyn_Dude; Today at 05:50 PM.
OctaDyn_Dude is online now  
post #32242 of 32242 Unread Today, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OctaDyn_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streamwood
Posts: 1,827
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Rick it's great to see and hear from you again. How are those Ref's sounding?
OctaDyn_Dude is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off