Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1076 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2917Likes

post #32251 of 32278 Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 259
So being the center whore that I am, were there postings of the new Contour Center(s) I may have missed? Will the SCX still be relevant to the new Contours? It seems if you own SCX you may be in luck to save center cash as the tweets will be more aligned?

I hope Dynaudio has a nice center or two planned for the line.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32252 of 32278 Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
C30 v SS MB5 and C20 v SS MB 2.5!
No offence SS,but I am guessing Dyn wins that battle...although I have not heard any of the speakers mentioned.Hey when is Cd going to post his review?Must be in love.
I wouldn't so sure about that. I know my XEO are not the new Contour but the more I listen to the 2 speakers I have the more I prefer the SS. I'm considering upgrading to the MB5 or adding something like the C20. I think the C30 is too big for my current room. Not sure 1 is better than the other but I'm sure they are different presentations. Haven't heard those Dyns but I know a couple of people who preferred the SS MB3.5 to the Contour 3.4LE. Take that for what it's worth knowing the new Contour speakers are a different speaker than the LE.
post #32253 of 32278 Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
I wouldn't so sure about that. I know my XEO are not the new Contour but the more I listen to the 2 speakers I have the more I prefer the SS. I'm considering upgrading to the MB5 or adding something like the C20. I think the C30 is too big for my current room. Not sure 1 is better than the other but I'm sure they are different presentations. Haven't heard those Dyns but I know a couple of people who preferred the SS MB3.5 to the Contour 3.4LE. Take that for what it's worth knowing the new Contour speakers are a different speaker than the LE.
You are probably right,it will come down to personal preference/room interaction...both really good speakers I am sure.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
post #32254 of 32278 Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
C30 v SS MB5 and C20 v SS MB 2.5!
Yeah John but you have yet to get those MB5 , Get to work man
no quarter likes this.

Sudgen A21se IA, Arcam AVR400, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 (I can't wait for October). BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

Office setup, Wadia 151 Power DAC mini, Dynaudio X-18 Satin Black lacquer. .
post #32255 of 32278 Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
What the hell C 30 to big for your room and you want to go MB5?

How big is the MB5, the C30 are only 45 inches tall with dual 7 inch drivers and the MB5 are 46.5 with 4 4.5 inches drivers.

Sudgen A21se IA, Arcam AVR400, Bryston 6B-SST Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo BDP103D. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 (I can't wait for October). BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest

Office setup, Wadia 151 Power DAC mini, Dynaudio X-18 Satin Black lacquer. .
post #32256 of 32278 Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Callas would back me up on Focus 260 being 2.5. Not sure if Otto would...

GT 260 was actually 2 way crossover and 340 was 3 way crossover.
post #32257 of 32278 Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Rick it's great to see and hear from you again. How are those Ref's sounding?

Otto mentioned the C20 and C30 shipping in October with the C60 and C25 shipping in Novemeber
Thanks guys for the hello. Funny thing the KEF are okay. I moved a couple of months ago and with everything going on I've done little yet with calibration and proper set-up. On top of that I think my REL B1 is going out. My mom is 84 and it was time to move her in with me so knowing me and the fact my place isn't huge I decided to do some upgrades to my bedroom set-up as I knew the bedroom might be an escape path.

So I've ignored the killer set-up and upgraded to Sonus Faber Venere monitors and center, Yamaha 1060 4K AVR, Panasonic UHD player and moved out an LCD to my first OLED, 55C6.

Let me tell ya I think my KEF set-up is not situated yet due to the bedroom set-up. I haven't had this much fun in quite awhile. Just like we love a new amp or a new Naim piece (I'm a Simaudio guy ), know you guys are fans here but the best upgrade I've done to date is the OLED. I've always built the snot out of my audio and no room for projection for me so I shoot for a decent display. My audio even with Dynaudio was always a mile ahead of my video. Well now, at $2500 for a 55 it's changed my entire experience. I love it that much...

So now... Grrr I need to look at replacing much in the living room except for speakers. My dying REL, non 4K pre pro and Oppo is OBS and of course my 70 Elite display needs to go for a 65 OLED. It's just a never ending money pit

So my KEFs have been a bit neglected with the move and bedroom escape route. Funny what a new bedroom display has done along with the other bedroom goodies.

By the way, SF has really grown on me. I at times wonder how Venere S and Olympica Center would fare in place of the KEF.

A display has given new found love over audio which is strange but I do think I'm more HT centric than a lot of you guys. I'm blu-ray concerts over the best of streaming audio.

I can't believe a bedroom display gives me such a woody but OLED is frigging awesome and in turn all of the other gear including the SF speakers are surpassing my living room experience. 4K is legit.

Back to Dynaudio!

Looking forward to hearing all about your new Contours! Tick Tick getting close!

Rick

Last edited by Mr.SoftDome; Yesterday at 09:58 PM.
post #32258 of 32278 Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
Thanks guys for the hello. Funny thing the REF are okay. I move a couple of months ago and with everything going on I've done little yet with calibration and proper set-up. On top of that I think my REL B1 is going out. My mom is 84 and it was time to move her in with me so knowing me and the fact my place isn't huge I decided to do some upgrades to my bedroom set-up as I knew the bedroom might be an escape path.

So I've ignored the killer set-up and upgraded to Sonus Faber Venere monitors and center, Yamaha 1060 4K AVR, Panasonic UHD player and moved out an LCD to my first OLED, 55C6.

Let me tell ya I think my KEF set-up is not situated yet due to the bedroom set-up. I haven't had this much fun in quite awhile. Just like we love a new amp or a new Naim piece, know you guys are fans here but the best upgrade I've done to date is the OLED. I've always build the snot out of my audio and no room for projection for me so I shoot for decent display. My audio even with Dynaudio was always a mile ahead of my video. Well now, at $2500 for a 55 it's changed my entire experience. I love it that much...

So now... Grrr I need to look at replacing much in the living room except for speakers. My dying REL, non 4K pre pro and Oppo is OBS and of course my 70 Elite display needs to go for a 65 OLED. It's just a never ending money pit

So my KEFs have been a bit neglected. Funny what a new bedroom display has done along with the other bedroom goodies.

By the way, SF has really grown on me. I at times wonder how Venere S and Olypica Center would fare in place of the KEF.

A display has given new found love over audio which is strange but I do think I'm more HT centric than a lot of you guys.

I need to my living room back to awesome. It's been neglected .
I can't believe a bedroom display gives me such a woody but OLED is frigging awesome.

Looking forward to hearing all about your new Contours! Tick Tick getting close!

Rick
Rick,I am still slumming it with a Panasonic 3D plasma,I have been waiting for things to settle with the 4K tv's.I recall you saying you are a fan of the blueray concerts,me too...and like you I have been neglecting that set-up for a while,so I can build up the 2 channel rig.The xd 600's are not even calibrated properly yet in their new home in home theater,maybe this weekend.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
post #32259 of 32278 Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Otto: you need to sleep man! I know you love us but there are better things to do at 4:22 in Denmark...
I hoped noone would notice ;-)
post #32260 of 32278 Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So being the center whore that I am, were there postings of the new Contour Center(s) I may have missed? Will the SCX still be relevant to the new Contours? It seems if you own SCX you may be in luck to save center cash as the tweets will be more aligned?

I hope Dynaudio has a nice center or two planned for the line.

Rick
There is a new center, Contour 25. Drivers identical to Contour 30. I believe there are no photos of the finished product yet. The driver alignment was changed slightly compared to the renderings that were shown in May. The tweeter is moved up, to have the woofers closer together.
post #32261 of 32278 Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixman18 View Post
GT 260 was actually 2 way crossover and 340 was 3 way crossover.

Where are you pulling this information? I've always been under the assumption the 260 was a 2.5 way as well.

Even though the C30 is listed as a 2.5 way, it still only lists one crossover point and not the low pass on the second woofer.
post #32262 of 32278 Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto J View Post
Confidential :-) But also wouldn't say much, as we had several more engineers working on it than we've had before. 10 years in development might sound impressive, but if it was one guy doing it as a side project, not so much. The Contour project has clocked a LOT of engineering hours.
Hehe, that's what I figured. I didn't really want to know how many Engineering hours were put into it (I'm thinking 5 - 600k), mainly just how long it takes to go from concept to final production product. I know in the automotive world that I work in it can be anywhere from a couple months to years depending on what we are doing.
post #32263 of 32278 Old Today, 12:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shample View Post
Where are you pulling this information? I've always been under the assumption the 260 was a 2.5 way as well.
Focus 260 is 2-way, according to engineering (12 dB/Octave on the tweeter by the way ) This is also what is stated on the website:

http://www.dynaudio.com/discontinued...cus/focus-260/

Even I have in the past been under the impression that it was a 2.5 way, so I won't blame anyone for assuming that. The original brochure did not include information about the crossover at all, so I guess that many, like myself, assumed 2.5 way as this would be the common approach. Probably including some Dynaudio employees - a limited amount of employees actually have access to all the engineering details.

Quote:
Even though the C30 is listed as a 2.5 way, it still only lists one crossover point and not the low pass on the second woofer.
C30 is a 2.5 way. At this point we don't disclose the rolloff point for the half-way. Whether we will at some point, I can't say.
GTaudiophile and Matrixman18 like this.

Otto Jørgensen
Customer Care Manager, Denmark
Dynaudio A/S
post #32264 of 32278 Old Today, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Otto, thanks for all the interesting info and details. Really insightful and good sport on Dynaudio having someone like you.
When I bought my 400XD's the dealer told me the 400s had kind of a different approach to the crossover meaning that the extra woofer acted more like a help in the low frequencies making the speaker sound like a two-way rack speaker, but having the extra punch and lower-end frequenzy capabilities. Was he right or did I misunderstand something? My ears are telling me he is right
He isnt working there anymore, he got hired by some speaker company, so I cant go there and ask him to elaborate.

@shample
While I agree with most of your points and facts you are approaching it wrong if your goal is to convince anyone, which must be your goal since you get so frustrated when people do not agree without backing up with facts.
If you take the high horse on scientific approach you need to post som references or even links to your statements. Otherwise they are no different than other "facts" of cables or similar posted here.
And also really, tone down on your small stabs on peoples education or intelligence, it does not help with peoples regard for highly educated people of nature science.
Garman and yonson like this.

Focus XD 400 Black Veneer

Last edited by Solgryn; Today at 02:39 AM.
post #32265 of 32278 Old Today, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solgryn View Post
Otto, thanks for all the interesting info and details. Really insightful and good sport on Dynaudio having someone like you.
When I bought my 400XD's the dealer told me the 400s had kind of a different approach to the crossover meaning that the extra woofer acted more like a help in the low frequencies making the speaker sound like a two-way rack speaker, but having the extra punch and lower-end frequenzy capabilities. Was he right or did I misunderstand something? My ears are telling me he is right
He isnt working there anymore, he got hired by some speaker company, so I cant go there and ask him to elaborate.
Hm, who could that have been...

Basically this incredibly handsome and intelligent salesperson was explaining the fact that the 400 XD is a 2.5 way speaker. The top woofer plays full range, the bottom woofer only adds output at low frequencies. A 2.5 way can be tuned in various ways, with different goals, and with very different rolloff characteristics of the lower woofer. The 400 XD was designed, as explained, to sound as much as possible like a 200 XD, but with better low frequency output. The 600 XD is a "proper" 3-way, with a smaller midrange, and this design gives the possibility of higher total output, but lacks some of the "smoothness" that a good 2-way standmounter has, especially at shorter listening distances. A large 3-way generally needs a bit more room to breathe, so to speak.

Otto Jørgensen
Dynaudio A/S
post #32266 of 32278 Old Today, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
I can't believe a bedroom display gives me such a woody...
Hahahaha

post #32267 of 32278 Old Today, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

I just updated the specs a bit, with corrections to the frequency response of the 30 and the 25C, as well as adding the rolloff point of the second woofer in both: 300 Hz.

Added info from Daniel, the acoustics engineer responsible for the tuning:

The reason we state "2nd order" and not "12 dB/octave" is that there are ways to modify a 2nd order crossover, that changes the slopes to be different from an actual 12 dB/octave, while still technically being a 2nd order crossover. This is done partly to improve the phase response of the overall speaker, not just the filter. One area where the Contour differs from a normal 12 dB/octave filter, is that normally with "standard" 12 dB filters you would have to reverse the polarity of the tweeter to have a smooth frequency response. In the Contour, even though the filter is technically 2nd order, the rolloffs are modified to allow the tweeter to be in phase, yet have a smooth frequency and phase characteristic between the drivers once you factor in the response of the actual drivers themselves.

As the actual rolloffs are varying, it would be complex and not actually very useful to state the actual rolloff characteristics, so we choose to specify them as "2nd order", although the real story is deeper than that.

I'm sure this will cause just as many questions as it puts to rest, but I don't think I can go much more into detail than that, without giving away information that we don't want to share.

By the way, the models are now listed on the website. Unfortunately we are still waiting for the final photoshoot, so no, we still aren't where we need to be regarding showing the available finishes properly. We also just changed the backend for our complete website, so realistically there will be some days of instability and lacking information on the website, for which we can only apologise. Work in progress :-)
no quarter and yonson like this.

Otto Jørgensen
Dynaudio A/S

Last edited by Otto J; Today at 05:06 AM.
post #32268 of 32278 Old Today, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Otto J,

When will the Contour C20's start shipping?
post #32269 of 32278 Old Today, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
I just updated the specs a bit, with corrections to the frequency response of the 30 and the 25C, as well as adding the rolloff point of the second woofer in both: 300 Hz.

Added info from Daniel, the acoustics engineer responsible for the tuning:

The reason we state "2nd order" and not "12 dB/octave" is that there are ways to modify a 2nd order crossover, that changes the slopes to be different from an actual 12 dB/octave, while still technically being a 2nd order crossover. This is done partly to improve the phase response of the overall speaker, not just the filter. One area where the Contour differs from a normal 12 dB/octave filter, is that normally with "standard" 12 dB filters you would have to reverse the polarity of the tweeter to have a smooth frequency response. In the Contour, even though the filter is technically 2nd order, the rolloffs are modified to allow the tweeter to be in phase, yet have a smooth frequency and phase characteristic between the drivers once you factor in the response of the actual drivers themselves.

As the actual rolloffs are varying, it would be complex and not actually very useful to state the actual rolloff characteristics, so we choose to specify them as "2nd order", although the real story is deeper than that.

I'm sure this will cause just as many questions as it puts to rest, but I don't think I can go much more into detail than that, without giving away information that we don't want to share.

By the way, the models are now listed on the website. Unfortunately we are still waiting for the final photoshoot, so no, we still aren't where we need to be regarding showing the available finishes properly. We also just changed the backend for our complete website, so realistically there will be some days of instability and lacking information on the website, for which we can only apologise. Work in progress :-)
I like how the new site allows you to see the new finishes...but some are still missing...

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM SuperNait 2
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA>DIN | Tellurium Q Black 3M

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70w)

post #32270 of 32278 Old Today, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
hey guys,

I'm about to get a pair of Emit M20s and was wondering if it would go well with my NAD D 7050. Does anyone have any thoughts on this setup?. I live in a modest apartment and these will go in the living room that's roughly 16' x 12' placed 2' from the rear wall (measured from the front baffle) and 6' apart (measured from the center of the drivers). Is this a good position for these speakers?. Any recommendations wrt to toe-in?.

Thanks in advance.
Garman likes this.
post #32271 of 32278 Old Today, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxeddeep View Post
hey guys,

I'm about to get a pair of Emit M20s and was wondering if it would go well with my NAD D 7050. Does anyone have any thoughts on this setup?. I live in a modest apartment and these will go in the living room that's roughly 16' x 12' placed 2' from the rear wall (measured from the front baffle) and 6' apart (measured from the center of the drivers). Is this a good position for these speakers?. Any recommendations wrt to toe-in?.

Thanks in advance.
jinxddeep: The NAD D7050 shouldn't have any issues running the Emit M20, down the road however you could go with a good Int. Amp and or a separate Pre amp/Amp combo to get more out of them.... 6 feet you should be fine with them, but typically you get a more open soundstage in you can get them further apart, of course you need to work with room dimensions and acoustics so I would experiment with them toed in etc... I have a new pair in my main listening room while I break them in a bit and then I will be moving them to my office, very good speaker for the money and even with some of the minor tweaks they sound better to me than the Excite 12's.

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Musical Fidelity,KEF, etc...... Maybe New Contour's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Standse
post #32272 of 32278 Old Today, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Focus 260 is 2-way, according to engineering (12 dB/Octave on the tweeter by the way ) This is also what is stated on the website:

http://www.dynaudio.com/discontinued...cus/focus-260/

Even I have in the past been under the impression that it was a 2.5 way, so I won't blame anyone for assuming that. The original brochure did not include information about the crossover at all, so I guess that many, like myself, assumed 2.5 way as this would be the common approach. Probably including some Dynaudio employees - a limited amount of employees actually have access to all the engineering details.

C30 is a 2.5 way. At this point we don't disclose the rolloff point for the half-way. Whether we will at some point, I can't say.
I had 2 dealers tell me that they were 2.5 way and they were told by Dyn NA. And one of them even gave me the exact description you just gave about the XD400/200vabout sounding exactly like my previous 160s until the lower frequencies are called.

Either way I'm happy with their performance as a 2 or 2.5 way.
Matrixman18 likes this.
post #32273 of 32278 Old Today, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
I had 2 dealers tell me that they were 2.5 way and they were told by Dyn NA. And one of them even gave me the exact description you just gave about the XD400/200vabout sounding exactly like my previous 160s until the lower frequencies are called.

Either way I'm happy with their performance as a 2 or 2.5 way.
Same here, Callas. I've actually put my ears to the woofers, in the past, and thought the upper woofer sounded more extended. I own a pair but they're put away because I'm testing something else currently. I'm going to pull them out later, remove the crossovers, and see what's going on with them. I'm not saying Otto is providing false information. I'm just curious now of the circuit design.
post #32274 of 32278 Old Today, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
jinxddeep: The NAD D7050 shouldn't have any issues running the Emit M20, down the road however you could go with a good Int. Amp and or a separate Pre amp/Amp combo to get more out of them.... 6 feet you should be fine with them, but typically you get a more open soundstage in you can get them further apart, of course you need to work with room dimensions and acoustics so I would experiment with them toed in etc... I have a new pair in my main listening room while I break them in a bit and then I will be moving them to my office, very good speaker for the money and even with some of the minor tweaks they sound better to me than the Excite 12's.
thank you so much for that info...especially the last bit...i actually had the opportunity to buy both the M20s and the Excite 12's for the same price
(both used) and was confused which one to go with. I settled on the M20s in the end since, apart from being really good, they are also newer gen. Once I get them I will experiment with placement and find out what works best for me.
post #32275 of 32278 Old Today, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxeddeep View Post
hey guys,

I'm about to get a pair of Emit M20s ........
There is a guy on Audiogon selling a black and white set for $600 each pair if you want to save some money. Your color choice.
post #32276 of 32278 Old Today, 10:10 AM

Quote:
There is a guy on Audiogon selling a black and white set for $600 if you want to save some money. Your color choice.
that's the one I am getting too

thanks for the tip nonetheless.
post #32277 of 32278 Old Today, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 448
post #32278 of 32278 Old Today, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
I got an e-mail from them last night listing those, and they are even cheaper... Plus I have a 10% off coupon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page