AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

Charles, where you been dude!

One of these days Im going to join the Sapphire club. I'm kind of waiting to see if the blue thing happens.

HI Matt,

I am fine. Doing more reading on AVS these days then writing. Always here in some manner enjoying the theatrical nature and knowledge of AVS.

Just think Matt. If you join the Sapphire club, there will be two of us!!

"Man plans, God laughs"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 22876 Old 11-16-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Im kind of waiting to see if the blue thing happens.

What's the blue thing?
post #3243 of 22876 Old 11-16-2008, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matro5 View Post

What's the blue thing?

perhaps he meant "blu" as in a Limited Edition Dynaudio Blu Ray Player?
post #3244 of 22876 Old 11-16-2008, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post

perhaps he meant "blu" as in a Limited Edition Dynaudio Blu Ray Player?

Matt meant that Dynaudio has hinted that at the end of the run of the Sapphires, they MAY produce a minimal amount of Sapphires in a "Blue Tint" finish. I think Matt and Dynlunatic could elaborate in greater depth.

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #3245 of 22876 Old 11-16-2008, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvz View Post

Doing more reading on AVS these days then writing. Always here in some manner enjoying the theatrical nature and knowledge of AVS.

Charles,

You are very diplomatic in your accessment of AVS lately. Hope all is well.

Take care, Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #3246 of 22876 Old 11-16-2008, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Charles,

You are very diplomatic in your assessment of AVS lately. Hope all is well.

Take care, Bill

HI Bill,

All is well and I hope the same for you. Yes, the site here has been robust and cantankerous lately and I've pretty much stayed in the read only mode except in some circumstances. I've been here since I think "02" and this has been quite the year for AVS.

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #3247 of 22876 Old 11-16-2008, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

One of these days Im going to join the Sapphire club. Im kind of waiting to see if the blue thing happens.

+1

I thought that Charles had retreated to a cabin in Montana with no electricity or something
post #3248 of 22876 Old 11-16-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

+1

I thought that Charles had retreated to a cabin in Montana with no electricity or something

HI David! Congratulations on your new speakers!! May they provide many years of enjoyment to you and your family. Also, I think you did some upgrades on your Modwright!! I am sure I missed something along the way.

Actually, I have pretty much embedded my life in my 3, soon to be 4 year old daughter's life. Sometimes the audio/video stuff takes a back seat. Winter time is right around the corner now, so I think I'll have a bit more time to spend indoors.

Funny you should mention Montana.

I was in Jackson Wyoming, very close to Montana. We were visiting the Elk Refuge, Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks a few weeks ago. I really think I'd enjoy living there. However, real estate is rather expensive for the average guy. That area has become a haven for yuppie transplants and a few well know celebrities. It's stunning there with wide open spaces, abundant wildlife and scenic views. Hey, they even have electricity!

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #3249 of 22876 Old 11-16-2008, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matro5 View Post

What's the blue thing?

I think they were kicking around the possibility of a blue Sapphire at one point. However, being that blue requires a different kind of design taste, Im sure they have to make sure it makes sense especially with a limited production speaker.
post #3250 of 22876 Old 11-16-2008, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvz View Post

HI Matt,

I am fine. Doing more reading on AVS these days then writing. Always here in some manner enjoying the theatrical nature and knowledge of AVS.

Just think Matt. If you join the Sapphire club, there will be two of us!!

Mostly theatrics these days.

There's more Sapphire owners out there, just not a bunch on the forum. FYI, the Dynaudio Sapphire will finally be reviewed in January issue of Stereophile, should be in stores first couple weeks of December.

Good to hear from you!
post #3251 of 22876 Old 11-17-2008, 07:07 AM

Hello

I have a pair of Dynaudio 110s and wondered if I needed / wanted a subwoofer. A friend has lent me a spare Energy AS-90, so I was going to try and connect it up just to see if it made any difference before I start looking at Dynaudio 250s or RELs etc.

Does anyone have any advice about connecting /blending a sub into a pure two speaker stereo set up please it's all new to me

Many thanks

Steve
post #3252 of 22876 Old 11-17-2008, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRBoy View Post

Hello

I have a pair of Dynaudio 110s and wondered if I needed / wanted a subwoofer. A friend has lent me a spare Energy AS-90, so I was going to try and connect it up just to see if it made any difference before I start looking at Dynaudio 250s or RELs etc.

Does anyone have any advice about connecting /blending a sub into a pure two speaker stereo set up please it's all new to me

Many thanks

Steve

True blending of a sub is perhaps the most difficult thing to achieve. It cannot accurately be done without in-room measurements and software. If you are able to tell there is a sub in the room, or even worse, where it is located then you have not integrated it properly.
post #3253 of 22876 Old 11-17-2008, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRBoy View Post

Hello

Many thanks

Steve

I think the 110's would def be complimented by a sub. Try your buddies Energy sub and see if you like it. As far as blending it, you can get really fancy with room treatments, equalizers and software but it can be as easy as just spending some time with your sub, a test tone CD and a good SPL meter. If you're willing to experiment I bet you'll be happy with the results.

Here's the best resources for sub optimization on the web...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1004573

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748147
post #3254 of 22876 Old 11-17-2008, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the links ... I think experimenting with the sub will give me somthing to do in the cold winter evening
post #3255 of 22876 Old 11-17-2008, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

The Dynaudio subs are outstanding. I do think you can blend the Sub250 in with the 110's. As always, it takes some effort, but it would with any sub.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #3256 of 22876 Old 11-17-2008, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

The Sub 250 has a sub/sat input that allows a seamless integration of the subwoofer and speaker, assuming the user has a separate amp and pre amp.

Remember, it is all about the music not the sound!
Mick Tillman
Dynaudio N/A-distributors of Dynaudio, Octave, Theory and Application.
post #3257 of 22876 Old 11-17-2008, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Wow, a dedicated thread to Dynaudios !

I'm only at page 50 on this thread and still reading, but plan to be back as I start to set up and adjust my Dynaudio Contour 2.8 mains, Contour center and Contour 1.1 surrounds in my great room. Currently driven by Parasound 1205 amp. Use will be 80/20 music/HT.

I'm currently looking at center channel speaker stands and have about 30inches up to the base of the 9 ft wide entertainment center holding my Sony 40" LCD and all electronics. All speakers will be about 2 feet in front of the entertainment center, which means 4 feet from the back wall. I'll be sitting at least 9-10 feet from the mains and the room size is about 20x30x9.

I'm looking at a sanus 22" stand with adjustable spikes for speaker tilt to get the center off the ground and closer to the main's tweeter horizontal plane. Sanus also makes an 18" center stand, which would be the better choice?

Seems like a lot of people familiar with Dynaudio are here, what a resource! Had my set of Dynaudios since about 2000 (haven't been setup for the last 3 years though) and haven't had the itch to listen to anything else since.

Bruce
post #3258 of 22876 Old 11-17-2008, 02:39 PM

Hi everyone,

Help needed on deciding amp & pre amp to choose.

For the moment I play my 72se on an Arcam avr100 and am very pleased how musical it sounds. It is very nice but from what I gather separates are that much better.

I have the possibility to buy a Parasound A21 with a P3 preamp. Would this be a great improvement? I listen mostly to Jazz, vocals & lounge in a 50m2 room (450 sq feet) at moderate volume. In case the answer is yes for the amp... how is that P3 preamp? Another option would the Musical Fidelity preamp A5cr or else I was thinking of using the pre outs of the Avr 100 with the A21 to keep the HT system and stereo systems linked.

Thanx a lot for any input.
This thread is great!
post #3259 of 22876 Old 11-17-2008, 05:07 PM

Hey all! Completely new here and excited to start reading up on this thread, as well as the others in the forums. Just wanted to brag and get some feed back, I just put some money today towards a Pioneer SC-07 Receiver and a pair of Dynaudio Excite X36s. Its amazing that all the reading about this **** in the world does you no good at all. I went into a place hoping to spend $1500-2000 on a receiver and a couple speakers, almost completely for music. Well I'm sure you guys can guess, the dynaudios blew me away completely, and my budget kept going up and up. I'm really excited, and hopefully by the news year I'll have this in hand (or in my basement), depending on how frugal I am with my christmas shopping... I am a poor college student afterall, who is spending/wasting nearly every ounce of my funds on this venture. Thanks all
post #3260 of 22876 Old 11-17-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebraker View Post

Hey all! Completely new here and excited to start reading up on this thread, as well as the others in the forums. Just wanted to brag and get some feed back, I just put some money today towards a Pioneer SC-07 Receiver and a pair of Dynaudio Excite X36s. Its amazing that all the reading about this **** in the world does you no good at all. I went into a place hoping to spend $1500-2000 on a receiver and a couple speakers, almost completely for music. Well I'm sure you guys can guess, the dynaudios blew me away completely, and my budget kept going up and up. I'm really excited, and hopefully by the news year I'll have this in hand (or in my basement), depending on how frugal I am with my christmas shopping... I am a poor college student afterall, who is spending/wasting nearly every ounce of my funds on this venture. Thanks all

Congratulations on the purchase Stonebraker! Given the fact that the Excites are easier to drive than most of the Dyn lines, The Elite should be just be just fine. You may also wanna look into to the Denons in that price range.
post #3261 of 22876 Old 11-17-2008, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanpixels View Post

Hi everyone,

Help needed on deciding amp & pre amp to choose.

For the moment I play my 72se on an Arcam avr100 and am very pleased how musical it sounds. It is very nice but from what I gather separates are that much better.

I have the possibility to buy a Parasound A21 with a P3 preamp. Would this be a great improvement? I listen mostly to Jazz, vocals & lounge in a 50m2 room (450 sq feet) at moderate volume. In case the answer is yes for the amp... how is that P3 preamp? Another option would the Musical Fidelity preamp A5cr or else I was thinking of using the pre outs of the Avr 100 with the A21 to keep the HT system and stereo systems linked.

Thanx a lot for any input.
This thread is great!

Keep in mind your receiver has a DAC. So you can use el-cheapo DVD or CD player and still get great sound from the Arcam's DAC in the AVR100.

If you go to the P3 then you need a decent source unit because the P3 has no built-in DAC, nor do most 2-channel preamps.

My vote is keep the AVR100, add the Halo A21. Take the money saved and save up for the Focus 220, 360, Contour S3.4.
post #3262 of 22876 Old 11-17-2008, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebraker View Post

I am a poor college student afterall, who is spending/wasting nearly every ounce of my funds on this venture. Thanks all

You rock! I did the same thing while I was in school.
post #3263 of 22876 Old 11-17-2008, 07:24 PM

post #3264 of 22876 Old 11-17-2008, 07:38 PM

I am dying from envy dude
post #3265 of 22876 Old 11-17-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:

One of these days Im going to join the Sapphire club. Im kind of waiting to see if the blue thing happens.

How close are we to a Sapphire sell-out? Think they will make it to Spring?
post #3266 of 22876 Old 11-18-2008, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CETA1 View Post

How close are we to a Sapphire sell-out? Think they will make it to Spring?

Dynaudio usually notifies all its dealers a month or so in advance if the inventory on something is going to be depleted or if something is being phased out.

The Sapphire is going to be on the cover of January issue of Stereophile, in stores in December I believe. This should probably cause sales to spike a bit. I would imagine Spring is not out of the question, but as with any of these new reviews, they can increase sales and interest quite a bit so its hard to say.

We will let everyone know when its getting close to the wire.
post #3267 of 22876 Old 11-18-2008, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

Jamhead,

I think you will find the Halo will be a better match than the Anthem amp. Do not buy something based on its looks.

You might also take a look at Bryston and SimAudio also.

Michael

So another question for the pros......do you think the Bryston 3BSST will provide enough power for my 3.4's (large listening area)? I generally don't listen at ear-bleeding levels, but I want to know that if the desire hits...I can.

I'm looking at a 2 channel amp now, as funds are limited. Then, maybe a mono for the center and just use the Rotel receiver for the surrounds.
post #3268 of 22876 Old 11-18-2008, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhead View Post

So another question for the pros......do you think the Bryston 3BSST will provide enough power for my 3.4's (large listening area)? I generally don't listen at ear-bleeding levels, but I want to know that if the desire hits...I can.

I'm looking at a 2 channel amp now, as funds are limited. Then, maybe a mono for the center and just use the Rotel receiver for the surrounds.

The 3BSST offers 300 watts at 4 ohms and your speaker is 86 db efficient and a 4ohm load. The 3BSST will work fine with your speakers. The 3BSST is also a very nice sounding amp in addition.
post #3269 of 22876 Old 11-18-2008, 07:31 AM

I happen to be using a 4BSST. They mate quite well with Dynaudio, as both strive to be neutral, by all accounts. Brystons are powerful and should have zero problem driving low-sensitivity speakers.
post #3270 of 22876 Old 11-18-2008, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by will1066 View Post

I happen to be using a 4BSST. They mate quite well with Dynaudio, as both strive to be neutral, by all accounts. Brystons are powerful and should have zero problem driving low-sensitivity speakers.

I was at a dealer event in Fort Lauderdale this weekend and they were driving the Sapphire's with a 4BSST, let me just say that amp has really big cajones! Never once was there any hint of the amp's limitations or the Sapphire's limitations, incredible distortion free dynamics at VERY high volumes.

Remember, it is all about the music not the sound!
Mick Tillman
Dynaudio N/A-distributors of Dynaudio, Octave, Theory and Application.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page