Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1104 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 3375Likes
post #33091 of 33114 Old 11-30-2016, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda_lover View Post
Friends, I have Dynaudio Excite X32 fronts and X22 center with Denon x7200WA AVR. I am looking to add a power amp mainly to improve front 3 channels. Are there any suggestions for specific amp working better with these speakers or any comments on adding Emotiva XPA (Gen3) -5
I believe the Gen 3 XPA-5 will drive your system quite well! I had a Gen 2 XPA-5 running my Focus 340's, 260's and 210C for a while and it worked quite well. Emotiva is hard to beat for the $$$ however the Gen 3 stuff is quite a bit more than the 2nd Gen which could open up some other options for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33092 of 33114 Old 11-30-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixman18 View Post
There are many options depending on what your priorities are...like how much of music vs. movies you listen/watch. A lot of us in this group use integrated amps and a variety of them from Naim to Hegel to Parasound. Also depends on your budget?
Btw Emotiva is a good amp. Yonson powers his Dyn with it. They will pair good with X32s.
I did with the Focus setup, however now with the C4's I'm running all Parasound amps
Matrixman18 likes this.
post #33093 of 33114 Old 11-30-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrex99 View Post
Hi,

i used to have a 5.1 setup. Never happy with those center speakers.
Changed this with good 2 channel, and you never miss the fuss with all those speakers in the room.
Less is more in many case..
I disagree with this, it's hard to tell someone what they will or will not like. I by and far listen in 2 channel mode way more than anything else, however for the 10% of time I do watch movies and TV having a nice 5.1 setup is WAY worth it for me.
post #33094 of 33114 Old 11-30-2016, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Someone here recently mentioned the Sony TA-A1ES. ~$2k, Class-A, fine metalwork, etc.. Does it belong in the pantheon along with Hegels and Naims often mentioned here(?), I wonder... I personally believe there are many fine pairings yet to be discovered/discussed.
post #33095 of 33114 Old 11-30-2016, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesc View Post
Someone here recently mentioned the Sony TA-A1ES. ~$2k, Class-A, fine metalwork, etc.. Does it belong in the pantheon along with Hegels and Naims often mentioned here(?), I wonder... I personally believe there are many fine pairings yet to be discovered/discussed.
I can't help but think mid-fi when I hear the word Sony,even if they are good,personally I would not consider them in the Same league as Naim or Hegel...JMO.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
post #33096 of 33114 Old 11-30-2016, 11:54 AM

I kind of agree with that, Sony should re-brand their ES stuff like Toyota does with Lexus, Nissan with Infiniti etc...
no quarter likes this.
post #33097 of 33114 Old 11-30-2016, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Unfortunately, I concur; the Sony name does give off a mid-fi vibe, at best, despite the fact that they are capable of producing amazing products like the SS-AR1. Still, I would love to hear how the TA-A1ES mates with Dynaudio.
post #33098 of 33114 Old 11-30-2016, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, I concur; the Sony name does give off a mid-fi vibe, at best, despite the fact that they are capable of producing amazing products like the SS-AR1. Still, I would love to hear how the TA-A1ES mates with Dynaudio.
I would think it would work well with the Emit's and Excite's,but once you get into contour and above,I would be looking for something more upscale.Focus,even though they are discontinued,they are damn fine speakers that deserve better too driving them.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
post #33099 of 33114 Old 11-30-2016, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
I mentioned it, and another member did a direct comparison of the H360 and the TA-A1ES, he ended up keeping the Sony over the Hegel. Personally I don't find that hard to believe after hearing the HAP-1ES and the TA-A1ES at Axpona over the last 2 years, it sounded pretty damn good on on pair with a lot of equipment costing 3-5 times more... There are pretty good reviews of the unit on the net, and for the most part just like their high end speakers, they don't get a look because they have the Sony label attached to them. They should do the same thing a lot of companies do, come up with another name and just call it a Division of Sony. I was tempted to buy one and do a direct comparison as well but after hearing the Belles Aria Int. Amp at might go that route instead.

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Hegel, Musical Fidelity,Belles and KEF, etc...... Maybe New Belles Aria Int. Amp as far as equipment goes and for speakers the: Contour's 20's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
post #33100 of 33114 Old 11-30-2016, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonson View Post
I did with the Focus setup, however now with the C4's I'm running all Parasound amps
Joseph Audio recommended Parasound to me but I ended up buying Naim. Would like to listen to Parasound someday paired with my 260s.
post #33101 of 33114 Old 11-30-2016, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbjdk View Post
Guys, from a visual standpoint I could use some white surround speakers instead of my black X14s.

How does Emit M10 compare against X14?
Would I lose much soundwise keeping in mind it's not for main speakers but "just" back speakers
I use DM2/6s and wouldn't dream of switching them.... They're plenty for me!
hbjdk likes this.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
post #33102 of 33114 Old 11-30-2016, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda_lover View Post
Friends, I have Dynaudio Excite X32 fronts and X22 center with Denon x7200WA AVR. I am looking to add a power amp mainly to improve front 3 channels. Are there any suggestions for specific amp working better with these speakers or any comments on adding Emotiva XPA (Gen3) -5
My system is 5.1 with the Focus 210C/260s, I currently use my Naim Uniti2 Integrated streaming amp as a 2-channel power amp when watching tv or movies, I power my center and DM2/6s surrounds with a Marantz 7007 AVR.

I use to have the X22 and X16s; I power them the same way as described with an Integra 40.2 and Naim Nait 5i.

The X22 and 210C seem fine when powered by the AVR when the AVR was relieved of the duty of powering the main speakers. If you're simply looking for a power amp, Emotiva XPA-2 would be fine for movies and tv.

An integrated amp with a HT bypass (AV Gain) feature could be ideal if you're trying to improve both music and TV/HT experiences. Naim, Creek, Musical Fidelity, Bells, Hegel, Arcam, Parasound are some of the IAs with that HT Bypass feature.

hope that's helpful.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
post #33103 of 33114 Old 12-01-2016, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonson View Post
I disagree with this, it's hard to tell someone what they will or will not like. I by and far listen in 2 channel mode way more than anything else, however for the 10% of time I do watch movies and TV having a nice 5.1 setup is WAY worth it for me.
Agree of course with you, should also have said 'i never miss the fuss'.
and must admit my 5.1 was just lower budget setup.

and i did enjoy the power of that jamo sub .

But listening tv or movie just on 2 dynaudio C1's can be Very dynamic, 3 dimensional and fun also.
and thanks to great texture in mid frequencies, voices are easy listenable.
yonson and hbjdk like this.
post #33104 of 33114 Old 12-01-2016, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrex99 View Post
Agree of course with you, should also have said 'i never miss the fuss'.
and must admit my 5.1 was just lower budget setup.

and i did enjoy the power of that jamo sub .

But listening tv or movie just on 2 dynaudio C1's can be Very dynamic, 3 dimensional and fun also.
and thanks to great texture in mid frequencies, voices are easy listenable.
I agree to some extent, but its more because of convenience in my situation verses preference. I it still is very fun to crank up the 7.1 system and my 15" servo sub once in awhile. But most of my listening lately has been through my C2's Platinums or the Maggies 1.7i... For fun will crank up the system for a great movie, but new great movies are hard to come by these days.. Ironically I find myself watching more movies in my bedroom with the Sennheiser wireless surround sound headphones, or playing the PS4 on my 100" with similar headphones. Ironically it's the only time I like using head phones, even though I have several pairs of good ones.. But what I don't miss is the whole you need more speakers and a new receiver/prepro every 2 years to enjoy it, which is BS.. I think by the industry trying to make the HT industry a lot like the computer industry and they have lost a lot of customers who now would rather simply verses add more speakers and HDMI cables etc.. into the mix.. Same thing goes with 4K now 8K they need to set a stand for awhile stand behind it let people adopt it before they start moving forward too quickly.. One of the reasons I have held off updating to a 4K projector, too expensive and now they are already taking about 8K... LOL Sorry now way off topic....

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Hegel, Musical Fidelity,Belles and KEF, etc...... Maybe New Belles Aria Int. Amp as far as equipment goes and for speakers the: Contour's 20's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php

Last edited by Garman; 12-01-2016 at 12:34 PM.
post #33105 of 33114 Old 12-01-2016, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
I agree to some extent, but its more because of convenience in my situation verses preference. I it still is very fun to crank up the 7.1 system and my 15" servo sub once in awhile. But most of my listening lately has been through my C2's Platinums or the Maggies 1.7i... For fun will crank up the system for a great movie, but new great movies are hard to come by these days.. Ironically I find myself watching more movies in my bedroom with the Sennheiser wireless surround sound headphones, or playing the PS4 on my 100" with similar headphones. Ironically it's the only time I like using head phones, even though I have several pairs of good ones.. But what I don't miss is the whole you need more speakers and a new receiver/prepro every 2 years to enjoy it, which is BS.. I think by the industry trying to make the HT industry a lot like the computer industry and they have lost a lot of customers who now would rather simply verses add more speakers and HDMI cables etc.. into the mix.. Same thing goes with 4K now 8K they need to set a stand for awhile stand behind it let people adopt it before they start moving forward too quickly.. One of the reasons I have held off updating to a 4K projector, too expensive and now they are already taking about 8K... LOL Sorry now way off topic....
I agree that the industry moves too fast,i have not bought a 4k tv yet either,because for one they did cost too much,and two,i knew that 8k tv's were on their way soon enough,plus the lack of 4k players and content,i think 4k players are just starting to hit the market now.As far as audio goes,if i could start over,i would not sink so much money in to two seperate systems,just one really good 2 channel room.
Garman likes this.

post #33106 of 33114 Old 12-01-2016, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

no quarter: I have gone that route but scaled back my HT room for movies, you can get away with a excellent receiver instead of upgrading a expensive Pre/Pro, as I haven't heard too many that sound as good as a separate 2 channel system... Hence I been using Marantz/Denon/Onkyo and Yamaha top tier receivers and just get one every 5-6 years which is much cheaper. Heck I switched out my Yamaha receiver in our main living room and just use a Zvox with a Sub, anytime I want really good 5.1/7.1 system I fire up my HT, I remember back in the day before I had kids, I had a 5.1 system in my bedroom! LOL

post #33107 of 33114 Old 12-01-2016, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
I agree that the industry moves too fast,i have not bought a 4k tv yet either,because for one they did cost too much,and two,i knew that 8k tv's were on their way soon enough,plus the lack of 4k players and content,i think 4k players are just starting to hit the market now.As far as audio goes,if i could start over,i would not sink so much money in to two separate systems,just one really good 2 channel room.
4K sets have come down quite a bit now. I bought one a little over a year ago. As far as content you're right there isn't much out and for what is it's expensive. First 4K isn't 4K but it's 2160. The 4K sets upsample them. I have a couple of 4K demos - one is less than 5min and it's 815MB. The other one is less than 20 min and 22.25GB . Again these are at 2160. Just think what 8 or 16K is going to look like as far as size (assuming they upsample too). So figure 90 - 100GB per hour for 4K content done at 2160. So I'm guessing it will take a lot longer to develop new media and players for 8 and 16K (although thumb drives will probably be the least expensive now).

That said the couple of 4K demo's I have are quite spectacular. Reminds me of comparing Dyn's (1080) to Raidho (4320)

Oh +1 for just for one good system
post #33108 of 33114 Old 12-01-2016, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 38
When I plug my headphone into the Naim headphone jack and change the mode to Dolby movie in Marantz, only the center channel plays and the headphones don't work at all. So to watch the movies, I have to keep it on the pure direct mode and only then I get the sound in the headphones.

How to solve this? Any suggestions?
post #33109 of 33114 Old 12-01-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
no quarter: I have gone that route but scaled back my HT room for movies, you can get away with a excellent receiver instead of upgrading a expensive Pre/Pro, as I haven't heard too many that sound as good as a separate 2 channel system... Hence I been using Marantz/Denon/Onkyo and Yamaha top tier receivers and just get one every 5-6 years which is much cheaper. Heck I switched out my Yamaha receiver in our main living room and just use a Zvox with a Sub, anytime I want really good 5.1/7.1 system I fire up my HT, I remember back in the day before I had kids, I had a 5.1 system in my bedroom! LOL
Interesting. When I first started looking last Christmas I wanted a nice home theater system that I could listen to music with. Having decided on X44's, X28C and X18's for speakers I was going to use an Arcam AVR850 to run everything, however the dealer I was going to use 1 wouldn't come off MSRP a penny and they didn't have a definitive time that anything would be available. I was talking with a buddy and he suggested that for my budget I could get separate pre/pro and amp and that I would probably be better off so I started looking around. I really liked the Marantz AV8802 for a processor, but couldn't decide on a 5 channel amp when I stumbled upon the Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 on sale, while I was researching it I found that Emotiva also had the XMC-1 pre/pro on sale so I pulled the trigger. I love almost everything about the XMC-1 it has balanced inputs and a reference stereo mode for 2 channel which is what I use probably 90% of the time and is perfect. The main thing I don't like about it is that it's only capable of 7.2 although they are working on an update to make it 7.2.2 capable, but I'm still thinking about moving to the AV8802 I originally wanted so I can have 4 channels of Atmos...
post #33110 of 33114 Old 12-01-2016, 07:31 PM

Haha, I totally lost my train of thought on that post. I also meant to say that for the most part I'm very happy that I was able to build a system that works well for me in both 5.2 and 2 channel mode. While I would like to upgrade to 5.2.4 I'm going to leave everything as is for a while other than getting another JC-1 for my center channel...
post #33111 of 33114 Old 12-01-2016, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
4K sets have come down quite a bit now. I bought one a little over a year ago. As far as content you're right there isn't much out and for what is it's expensive. First 4K isn't 4K but it's 2160. The 4K sets upsample them. I have a couple of 4K demos - one is less than 5min and it's 815MB. The other one is less than 20 min and 22.25GB . Again these are at 2160. Just think what 8 or 16K is going to look like as far as size (assuming they upsample too). So figure 90 - 100GB per hour for 4K content done at 2160. So I'm guessing it will take a lot longer to develop new media and players for 8 and 16K (although thumb drives will probably be the least expensive now).

That said the couple of 4K demo's I have are quite spectacular. Reminds me of comparing Dyn's (1080) to Raidho (4320)

Oh +1 for just for one good system
George: All depends on what Dynaudio's your talking about..... The Evidence and Confidence are capable of 4320! LOL hahaha!!! Hell some people can't even tell the difference between 720p and 1080p... My take is the Home Theater and TV industry have gone too far and too fast as the media has barely caught up with the technology and he way to provide it as well. I would love to see some one stream 8K-16k using a 50gig bandwidth.

yonson, I almost forget about Emotiva, they have at least made separates affordable for HT again!
yonson likes this.

post #33112 of 33114 Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
George: All depends on what Dynaudio's your talking about..... The Evidence and Confidence are capable of 4320! LOL hahaha!!! Hell some people can't even tell the difference between 720p and 1080p... My take is the Home Theater and TV industry have gone too far and too fast as the media has barely caught up with the technology and he way to provide it as well. I would love to see some one stream 8K-16k using a 50gig bandwidth.

yonson, I almost forget about Emotiva, they have at least made separates affordable for HT again!
Yeah I'm talking Confidence and Evidence vs the D .1 series. It's just a shame the price difference isn't as close as 1080 vs 4320 LMAO. As I understand it you should have at least 16mb bandwidth for for 4K streaming. I can't imagine 8 let alone 16K streams. At least the good news for me I really couldn't give a rats a$$ about video but when I do watch it's nice to have a decent set. It's a 55" Samsung 7000 series. 8500 series would be better but the 7000 is good enough for me. So yes I can see why some don't want to spend too much. I watch Tv about1 5 hrs a week but listen to music closer to 45 hrs a week.
post #33113 of 33114 Old Today, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Yeah I'm talking Confidence and Evidence vs the D .1 series.
Talking about the Raidho, I've just listened to the D5.1 today, paired with a whole flagship system of Chord and using Nordost cables. My impression is: flat, detailed, and they have the signature sound of ribbon tweeters. They somehow sound like a very big pair of studio monitors. But I did not actually have much feelings or joys when listening to them. The music played was mostly classical.

And like some of you mentioned earlier, I find it very weird to listen to speakers that are too tall. Nearly all the sounds seem emerge from somewhere very high above (even if the tweeters were very close or at the same level with my ears).
post #33114 of 33114 Unread Today, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore