Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 3384Likes

post #33151 of 33158 Old Today, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
No, it's something to do with the implementation of the DTS decoders in A/V receivers. It's been discussed over on the amp/receiver forum.
I don't know about receivers. I use a dedicated pre/pro which I would hope has a whole lot more processing power than the processors in a receiver.
But it's not something I worry about because I'm getting all the dynamics from phantom center that my ears need to hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33152 of 33158 Old Today, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
I don't know about receivers. I use a dedicated pre/pro which I would hope has a whole lot more processing power than the processors in a receiver.
But it's not something I worry about because I'm getting all the dynamics from phantom center that my ears need to hear.
Yeah, I hear you. But for me, it's the principle of the matter. I don't like losing dynamic range, simply because of not having a center speaker. I couldn't find the AVS post I remember, but a google search did come up with this from the Klipsch forum, which references AVS. It is interesting reading. Apparently, it is only an issue with Dolby Digital and not DTS.

https://community.klipsch.com/index....dynamic-range/

post #33153 of 33158 Old Today, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland150 View Post
The Accuphase gear.. I was mostly acquainted with their integrated amp until recently, I heard their huge power amps P-7xxx and A70 hooked to Sonus Faber Il Cremonese. Very powerful yet refined. Now if anyone hooks an Accuphase to a pair of Dyns, I can imagine some really sweet sound
Most of my auditioning of Dyn speakers at JS Audio was on an Accuphase IA: Focus 160, Contour S1.4, Confidence C1II Signature, and Special25. All wonderful! Highly recommended combo if you can find an Accuphase dealer and afford their stuff.

Case in point.
Used, half-off for the price of a new NAIM SN2.

Current HiFi: Dynaudio Focus 260 | Meridian Direct DAC | NAIM SuperNait 2
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA>DIN | Tellurium Q Black 3M

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 (70w)

Last edited by GTaudiophile; Today at 12:34 PM.
post #33154 of 33158 Old Today, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
I could never "explain away" 28k for a set of small monitors. If I am talking to a non audio enthusiast type I might be able to convince them that say 8k for a pair of C1s isn't all that crazy. I can talk about advanced materials, careful engineering, fine craftsmanship, etc. At 28k I wouldn't know where to start.
I don't have 28k for speakers, but I am not against the concept of spending that amount on a pair. (Music is the greatest art, joy for me. And for many of you as well, of course.) BUT, 28k for monitors... jeez, that would be tough to swallow. It would be a case of practically unlimited budget and a VERY special need/requirement/love.
post #33155 of 33158 Old Today, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
This is being posted as if you think msrp is being paid at time of purchase.
I am not discounting their sound, as I happen to like some of their speakers! But a MSRP is usually a reference point and what I see on Audiogon with huge discounts off the MSRP it makes me wonder what one is actually paying for them. Its a numbers game of making it look like your getting this great deal on new or used, by doing this it doesn't justify the price of what the MSRP should be or what the speakers are worth. At the wide price spread I would rather buy from a dealer at a huge discount as you know what your getting along with a Warranty etc..

Dynaudio,Magnepan,Hegel, Musical Fidelity,Belles and KEF, etc...... Maybe New Belles Aria Int. Amp as far as equipment goes and for speakers the: Contour's 20's or Raidho next...
Charter Member - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective) http://www.esac.club/index.php
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/

Last edited by Garman; Today at 01:18 PM.
post #33156 of 33158 Old Today, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbjdk View Post
Thanks for some very good advice guys.
Well, I've been testing a lot today and it seems that I'm one of the people who thinks a "phantom centre" sounds better than using a centre channel, and by a large margin on that.
There's something about the way dialogue is chained to the centre of the screen with the centre channel which I find very unnatural/artificial sounding.
What's more, when I use the 210 C my fronts are reduced to handling minor stuff as, obviously, all dialogue is moved from the fronts to the centre channel.
Panning effects sound much better with a centre channel in the system though, however for the reason mentioned I will be returning the 210C after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
I hear you. I went through 3 or 4 different center speakers, with little success. The problem was a loss of vocal quality in movies, especially male voice. It seemed that, no matter what crossover settings I employed, male voice would lose all of its baritone quality when using a center speaker. When I would go back to "phantom" mode, which meant that my large floor standing front L/R speakers were producing the voice, that's when the voice sounded like it should. My next center speaker will be very large, truly full range.
I'm in the "phantom center" sounds better camp. Or maybe in the "you don't need a center speaker" camp.
From my experience, a center channel is needed only when you are sitting 3 or more people across the sitting area. Since it's just my wife and myself, and most times it's just me, I have found no need.

The most important thing is to have your left and right main speakers really dialed in for 2-channel music. Whenever I get new speakers into my room, I spend hours getting them positioned just right. You also need a good pre/pro or receiver that is capable of doing a proper phantom center.

When I'm watching a movie and a person is to the left side of the screen, the sound of the person's voice comes from the left side of the screen, vice versa for the right side of screen, and center dialogue from the center. Same goes for other effects such as gunshots.
Since the channel for dialogue, and a few other things are down mixed into the phantom center, you can have the background music coming from both speakers (50/50) for the stereo effect, and at the same time have your dialogue or effects seemingly coming from their respective position in the screen.

I also get incredible panning.

My front speakers are about 8.5' apart and I get incredibly spatially focused dialogue whether it be right or left side of screen, or coming out of the center.

Here's a pretty good thread here on AVS that deals with the center channel issue: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1449514-goodbye-center-channel.html
I agree with this. My current center I feel was a waste of money. I only had L and R for a while before adding my center. Once I added it I learned I really didn't need it at all. Since I sit in the sweet spot it is really useless in my setup. At least I know now I can save on a center in the future.
post #33157 of 33158 Old Today, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Quote:
This is being posted as if you think msrp is being paid at time of purchase.
I am not discounting their sound, as I happen to like some of their speakers! But a MSRP is usually a reference point and what I see on Audiogon with huge discounts off the MSRP it makes me wonder what one is actually paying for them. Its a numbers game of making it look like your getting this great deal on new or used, by doing this it doesn't justify the price of what the MSRP should be or what the speakers are worth. At the wide price spread I would rather buy from a dealer at a huge discount as you know what your getting along with a Warranty etc..
Agree.
post #33158 of 33158 Old Today, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
I agree with this. My current center I feel was a waste of money. I only had L and R for a while before adding my center. Once I added it I learned I really didn't need it at all. Since I sit in the sweet spot it is really useless in my setup. At least I know now I can save on a center in the future.
The only reason I'll pick up a center channel is if I have a dedicated theater/audio room with many seats. When it's just my wife and me or just me, I probably won't run it, but when we have guests over, I'll turn it on. And to be honest, I don't think most people would recognize the difference/care, unless they're big into movies or audio.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page