Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3820Likes
post #33991 of 34015 Unread 02-16-2017, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can anyone compare (lower) bass reproduction between Xeo 6 and XD 20(0).
Can XD 20(0) come close to Xeo 6?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33992 of 34015 Unread 02-17-2017, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I haven't heard either one, but the specs on paper suggest they aren't close (31 Hz vs. 39 Hz). The 20 XD has a more powerful amplifier but that's not enough to make up for the difference in cone area and cabinet volume. It's possible the 20 XD might have higher quality bass within its range though.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #33993 of 34015 Unread 02-17-2017, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
I don't think the 340 is too much speaker for your room,my xd 600's are in a smaller room and sound awesome,but the XD's are sealed.If you are considering Xeo 6,I would wait and try the new xd 20, with updated tech from the xd200.I had a week long home demo of the xd200 and really liked them,depends if you want a bunch of amps laying around or not.
Thanks for the inputs. I also don't think the 340 would overwhelm the room, and anyhow the biggest difference between to the 260 is its 3-way design. While I could agree with you that the 20 XD could be the sweet spot in terms of sound/price/simplicity, I'm specifically looking for floorstanders for the main system. Unfortunately, the 30 XD will be a bit off the scope.

For the price that it is offered (50% off list price), the 340 is an excellent offer and it would definitely be superior to options at comparable prices. Another line of speakers that I'm looking at are the Piega Classic 7.0, which have a different design with bi-wiring, planar speakers and more efficient drivers. Despite being more expensive speakers, they would be less demanding in terms of electronics - that's why I need to figure out what sort of boxes to pair with it.

post #33994 of 34015 Unread 02-17-2017, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 282
http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6...0-gloss-white/

Drooling over these guys; not affiliated
Bluvette likes this.

post #33995 of 34015 Unread 02-17-2017, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbalanced output View Post
Thanks for the inputs. I also don't think the 340 would overwhelm the room, and anyhow the biggest difference between to the 260 is its 3-way design. While I could agree with you that the 20 XD could be the sweet spot in terms of sound/price/simplicity, I'm specifically looking for floorstanders for the main system. Unfortunately, the 30 XD will be a bit off the scope.

For the price that it is offered (50% off list price), the 340 is an excellent offer and it would definitely be superior to options at comparable prices. Another line of speakers that I'm looking at are the Piega Classic 7.0, which have a different design with bi-wiring, planar speakers and more efficient drivers. Despite being more expensive speakers, they would be less demanding in terms of electronics - that's why I need to figure out what sort of boxes to pair with it.
It is hard to say what another person will like,many here use Naim electronics,including me,which punch way above their rated output compared to other brands.The flavor of the month appears to be Hegel,others use Belles,Parasound,and Shiit has some nice new gear coming out.You really should try to go demo a few options and see/hear what YOU prefer within your budget,the 340's are a great speaker that will show any flaws in the system or upgrades you do.
unbalanced output likes this.

7.2-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, xd 600's,excite 12's neat iota, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50, (2) Jl-audio fathom 112s, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim N 272 Naim Nap 250 dr/XPS dr(ordered) powerlines,naca5, teac pd-501 DSd player,Taksim Reference 3a's
post #33996 of 34015 Unread 02-17-2017, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Amused** View Post
In regards to my previous posts where I asked whether the Naim XS2 would be a good match for my Focus 260s instead of an Arcam A29 I'm not happy with, some users said it may be down to my room acoustics and speaker positioning.

So please see the attached picture of my room and speaker position and shoot!

The only thing I noticed is that the distance from the speakers to the front wall is similar to the distance from the listening position to the back wall, which may cause some bunching up of boundary cancellation nulls.

The dimension line between the back of the speakers and the wall says 50cm, and the speakers are about 30cm deep, so the driver is about 80cm from the wall. A simplistic calculation predicts a cancellation null centered around 215 Hz. It also looks like the listening position is little bit more than 50cm from the back wall, perhaps 70cm? That suggests a null centered at 245 Hz, or thereabouts. The floor bounce null should also somewhere around the high 200s. These are only rough predictions since they don't include the interference of things like furniture.

All setups have boundary cancellation nulls, but it could be that your setup is causing them to overlap resulting in a broader weakness in the upper bass or lower midrange. Or it could be that you subjectively prefer a fuller bottom end.

I also see a large window on the right. In my house, large sliding glass doors resonate around 80 Hz and can really suck the mid-bass out of speakers placed nearby.

Finally, you have a lot of hard walls, mostly brick and concrete. If you don't have any wall treatments, I would expect the room sound to be very live and have strong flutter echoes. In my experience, they make the room sound bright. If you haven't already, I would consider some room treatment to tame the reflections.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #33997 of 34015 Unread 02-17-2017, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Hi all

I've followed this forum in the past and finally decided to register after reading a few dozen pages in this thread. Lots of useful infos here

I'm starting a system from scratch (currently I only own headphone gear) and I have the chance to buy a pair of deeply discounted Focus 340. If I decide to go the Dynaudio way, would this be a good buy for my listening room? The room is not very large at about 4 x 5,5m (that is 13 x 18 ft) which has a 2m (6,5ft) opening to the dining room on one side. I'm a bit concerned if those speakers wouldn't be on the large side for the place...

Unfortunately I don't have the chance to audition the 340 in particular (it's sort of take it or leave it deal) and the 260 are sold out long time. My main concern is if I would be able to listen to the 340s at low enough volume to be enjoyable.

Still on the Dynaudio range, I also have some interest on the Xeo 6, which has a huge "KISS" appeal and it would actually be a great place to start without breaking the bank; the Contour 30 XD looks an interesting proposition but I don't think I would put that kind of money on active speakers, at least not now

While I'm making notes on potential amps for the Focus as I read through the posts, so far I haven't read about using some reasonably priced monoblocks. Anyone has experience with those in the class of, say, AVM M30s? Stereo amps would also be ok, I'm just unsure about an integrated amp which is a little less convenient when it comes to upgrading it later (the Xeo option grows on me at this point).

Hey Unbalanced I bought my 340s around 4 or 5 months ago and I bought them sight unseen unheard. I did quite a bit of reading so I had a fairly good idea what to expect. My old speakers were PMC FB1i sigs which are a transmission line design and are about 8x12x40". I wanted a speaker that was not to big, a true 3 way, had to have at least as much bass as my old, and have certain audiophile level.
I couldn't be happier with the size and the sound of the 340s. My room is about the exact same size as yours, same opening at one end. IMO the 340s are just about perfect for this size of room. I too got a good discount. If you are getting the 340s for 1/2 price, I would say it is a no brainer. I don't think you would be disappointed. My FB1i sigs were pretty nice and I would say they get beat in every aspect by the 340s.

If you are looking for a inexpensive amp give the classdaudio SDS470 with the upgrade ps a try. Mine is plenty to power for the 340s and if you want it is only a jumper to change it to a monoblock...probably just overkill though.
http://www.classdaudio.com/sds-serie...th-upgrade-ps/
post #33998 of 34015 Unread 02-17-2017, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post

Look really nice, buy now!!!
amatuerholic likes this.
post #33999 of 34015 Unread 02-17-2017, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post

Not mine!
post #34000 of 34015 Unread 02-17-2017, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Contour s1.4 and stand4

Hi folks, I just turned back the clock and replaced my Focus 160's with a pair of pre-owned Contour s1.4 and the matching stand4s. I've always admired the higher-end bookshelfs and these came up on ebay and I couldn't say no. My question is with the attachment of the stands to the speakers. There appears to be two threaded pins that connect each tube of the stand directly to a matching threaded inlet on the bottom of the speaker. However, the threaded pin is barely long enough and I can't get it to bite on two of the holes. The other two just barely bite and connect. Anyone have any experience with this set up? I may just go to the hardware and get new pins made that are a half-inch longer, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks!
post #34001 of 34015 Unread 02-17-2017, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Aja1,

I'm in MA and often in your area. If you want, I have a machine shop and could make you whatever you need as long as you buy the material. Just PM me.
jgiddyup likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Sumiko Pearl, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #34002 of 34015 Unread Yesterday, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aja1 View Post
Hi folks, I just turned back the clock and replaced my Focus 160's with a pair of pre-owned Contour s1.4 and the matching stand4s. I've always admired the higher-end bookshelfs and these came up on ebay and I couldn't say no. My question is with the attachment of the stands to the speakers. There appears to be two threaded pins that connect each tube of the stand directly to a matching threaded inlet on the bottom of the speaker. However, the threaded pin is barely long enough and I can't get it to bite on two of the holes. The other two just barely bite and connect. Anyone have any experience with this set up? I may just go to the hardware and get new pins made that are a half-inch longer, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks!
Congrats - Here is the Stand 4 manual - Picture is worth 1000 words
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/46...io-Stand4.html
post #34003 of 34015 Unread Yesterday, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Congrats - Here is the Stand 4 manual - Picture is worth 1000 words
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/46...io-Stand4.html
Thanks, Octa! That is helpful, however, it doesn't solve my problem. I installed them correctly, but the pins shown in figure 1 of the instructions aren't long enough to thread into the column.
post #34004 of 34015 Unread Yesterday, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aja1 View Post
Thanks, Octa! That is helpful, however, it doesn't solve my problem. I installed them correctly, but the pins shown in figure 1 of the instructions aren't long enough to thread into the column.
How long are the mounting screws you have?

Well I still have a pair of Stand 4's I bought pre owned after I traded in my C1's. Looking through the hardware I have 2 sets of the mounting screws for post to speaker and they are 2 different lengths. The first set the screws are 1 1/2" long and 2 are stripped on one end. The other set they are 2" long but a different color (guessing they are not the Dyn screws). Unfortunately I traded my C1's about 3 years ago and I don't remember what the length should be. So I pulled out one of the posts and screwed in the 1 1/2" screw about 5 turns (to get it fully threaded into the post) and I have about 3/4" of the screw extending past edge of the post. Another thing I don't remember was if the nuts in the C1's were flush with the bottom or recessed. I do remember that once I had the screw in the post it only took about 5 or 6 turns of the post to attach them to the base of the C1's.
post #34005 of 34015 Unread Yesterday, 06:02 AM

Quote:
How long are the mounting screws you have?

Well I still have a pair of Stand 4's I bought pre owned after I traded in my C1's. Looking through the hardware I have 2 sets of the mounting screws for post to speaker and they are 2 different lengths. The first set the screws are 1 1/2" long and 2 are stripped on one end. The other set they are 2" long but a different color (guessing they are not the Dyn screws). Unfortunately I traded my C1's about 3 years ago and I don't remember what the length should be. So I pulled out one of the posts and screwed in the 1 1/2" screw about 5 turns (to get it fully threaded into the post) and I have about 3/4" of the screw extending past edge of the post. Another thing I don't remember was if the nuts in the C1's were flush with the bottom or recessed. I do remember that once I had the screw in the post it only took about 5 or 6 turns of the post to attach them to the base of the C1's.
the ones I have are about 1.5" and I think 2" would do the trick. I wonder if the original owner of the ones you had had the same issue and had longer ones made (thus different color). It makes sense to me that the shorter ones might be stripped at one end as they try to bite but can't get enough thread. Appreciate the input. I may just have new ones made.
post #34006 of 34015 Unread Yesterday, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

They should be standard at any hardware store.
Aja1 likes this.
post #34007 of 34015 Unread Yesterday, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
They should be standard at any hardware store.
Yep, but look in the metric section. More than likely 6mm, good luck.
Aja1 likes this.
post #34008 of 34015 Unread Yesterday, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 672
PM sent. I agree it should be common metric hardware, and M6 is the common size thread. I don't know if they're turned down (reduced) some portion of a standard screw to be a pin, but if that's the case it's very easy for me to take a 50mm long M6 and turn down to 5mm (or whatever is is) for a given length. Cake.
Aja1 and Bluvette like this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Sumiko Pearl, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #34009 of 34015 Unread Yesterday, 04:40 PM

Thanks all for the inputs, being 95% sold on the Focus I'm spending some time familiarising with the all the suggestions above plus a few others, dealers, auditions, used listings etc.

The Creek Evolution 100A is quite an interesting option, also has a good price point here. There's a dealer near my house but it was closed today. On the Naims, would the 155 XS be a good option for the Focus 340s? I already found two used for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Shiit has some nice new gear coming out..
Are you referring to the Vidar? Holy Schiiiite, the proposition sounds sweet - the exact topology I was dreaming of (A/AB balanced monos). Too bad they don't yet ship their boxes in black.

@darcman , I know Class D audio! I have always wanted to build an amp kit. May be the right time to do it unless I find something quick, since at the moment I have zero amps at home!
post #34010 of 34015 Unread Yesterday, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Thanks all for the inputs, being 95% sold on the Focus I'm spending some time familiarising with the all the suggestions above plus a few others, dealers, auditions, used listings etc.

The Creek Evolution 100A is quite an interesting option, also has a good price point here. There's a dealer near my house but it was closed today. On the Naims, would the 155 XS be a good option for the Focus 340s? I already found two used for sale.

Are you referring to the Vidar? Holy Schiiiite, the proposition sounds sweet - the exact topology I was dreaming of (A/AB balanced monos). Too bad they don't yet ship their boxes in black.

@darcman , I know Class D audio! I have always wanted to build an amp kit. May be the right time to do it unless I find something quick, since at the moment I have zero amps at home!
As a person that likes Naim and is a proponent of them, you'd need a Naim preamp to use their amps. I'd say an XS 2 or SN, or even a Uniti2 would be better places to start.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
post #34011 of 34015 Unread Today, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
As a person that likes Naim and is a proponent of them, you'd need a Naim preamp to use their amps. I'd say an XS 2 or SN, or even a Uniti2 would be better places to start.
I didn't mention that, but yes I would like to stick to the same brand for the amp path. In any case the 155 XS has only a DIN input which makes it difficult to pair with other electronics. Looking from this point of view, I'd be very surprised if the 155 XS would still be an inferior option.

The reason I'm asking is because I found an interesting deal on the 172 XS and 155 XS (used/demo). Unfortunately, it is a 2 hour drive to go see this particular system just to "go have a look" but I may find others along the way. The Uniti looks good in terms of being a one box solution (the XS 2 doesn't have a DAC which is a must have for me), but does it compare to the other options? Looking at the specs I'd say a no - a signal to noise ratio of 85 dB suggests it's too many electronics packed in a single box.

Maybe the question should rather be, from the sonic point of view - should I expect a marked difference between Uniti Atom, XS2 (plus third party DAC) and 152 XS plus 155 XS?
post #34012 of 34015 Unread Today, 09:46 AM

Quote:
should I expect a marked difference between Uniti Atom, XS2 (plus third party DAC) and 152 XS plus 155 XS?
Instead of 152 XS, I meant the NAC-N 172 XS. Very similar names...
post #34013 of 34015 Unread Today, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I didn't mention that, but yes I would like to stick to the same brand for the amp path. In any case the 155 XS has only a DIN input which makes it difficult to pair with other electronics. Looking from this point of view, I'd be very surprised if the 155 XS would still be an inferior option.

The reason I'm asking is because I found an interesting deal on the 172 XS and 155 XS (used/demo). Unfortunately, it is a 2 hour drive to go see this particular system just to "go have a look" but I may find others along the way. The Uniti looks good in terms of being a one box solution (the XS 2 doesn't have a DAC which is a must have for me), but does it compare to the other options? Looking at the specs I'd say a no - a signal to noise ratio of 85 dB suggests it's too many electronics packed in a single box.

Maybe the question should rather be, from the sonic point of view - should I expect a marked difference between Uniti Atom, XS2 (plus third party DAC) and 152 XS plus 155 XS?
Ok that makes more sense. I used a Naim XS 60 watt version for a couple years on my 260s and it was just fine. The 155 XS should be good to power the 340s I was just thinking by the time you added a preamp it was gonna add up $ quickly, and the single box solutions would be financially easier(typically). The dedicated power amps have good drive. Never heard the N172 itself but the way I understand is its similar to the U2.

Personally I like the dac that Naim uses in my U2. I don't do DSD so up to 24/192 works for me. Regarding the SNR of 85, of all the audiophiles I've had hear my system no ones ever said its a "noisy" unit. In fact the only concern that's ever come up was what if something happens to one aspect of the amp? And that's simple - I use my Marantz AVR for a few weeks. Otherwise people compliment it simplicity and sound quality.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
post #34014 of 34015 Unread Today, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Instead of 152 XS, I meant the NAC-N 172 XS. Very similar names...
I knew what you meant. N172 and NAP155 (XS)

post #34015 of 34015 Unread Today, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Ok that makes more sense. I used a Naim XS 60 watt version for a couple years on my 260s and it was just fine. The 155 XS should be good to power the 340s I was just thinking by the time you added a preamp it was gonna add up $ quickly, and the single box solutions would be financially easier(typically). The dedicated power amps have good drive. Never heard the N172 itself but the way I understand is its similar to the U2.

Personally I like the dac that Naim uses in my U2. I don't do DSD so up to 24/192 works for me. Regarding the SNR of 85, of all the audiophiles I've had hear my system no ones ever said its a "noisy" unit. In fact the only concern that's ever come up was what if something happens to one aspect of the amp? And that's simple - I use my Marantz AVR for a few weeks. Otherwise people compliment it simplicity and sound quality.
Thanks very much for your answer. Maybe overly concerned about noise, but then I'm used to high sensitivity headphones where noise is a concern.

I think your overall message is understood! If I'd be picking new equipment from Naim, I'd be tending to go for a XS2 plus external third party DAC. However, perhaps I've already said that Naim sells for a huge markup here (at least 20-30% more than in UK). For a similar price I could perhaps get an used 250 DR and add something like the 172 XS or the DAC-V1 from the used market if I'm patient enough.

On unrelated news, saw some pictures of the newest Schiit monoblock prototype on Head-Fi. Looks nice. Not 250 DR nice in terms of engineering (also it's still a prototype), but I must say I'm very curious to see how their stuff sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore